1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
With the new update its got me in the mood to host a lan party with MCC. Back in the day we used to just run an Ethernet cable between 2 xboxs. Does it work this way? or do we have to run both xboxs to the same router/modem?
The easiest way to connect two Xbox One's together for a Halo MCC LAN would be to use any old 4-port wireless router, and plug both consoles in to the 4-port part. All home routers are running DHCP, which will assign IP addresses to the Xbox One consoles. Then they are ready for offline MCC LAN.

With the new update its got me in the mood to host a lan party with MCC. Back in the day we used to just run an Ethernet cable between 2 xboxs. Does it work this way? or do we have to run both xboxs to the same router/modem?
In order to run a cable between two Xbox Ones, you will need to do a little bit of manual configuration. Once you've connected the cable between the console, go on the first console and give it an IP address (192.168.0.1) then on the second console give it a slightly different IP address (192.168.0.2) then they should be able to LAN together.
I made a thread/video about how to configure this, if you are interested.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/84ad72a8b51847978545f685f651fc15/topics/halo-mcc-system-link-lan-setup-tutorial-video/c9afa148-0de0-4a91-8f4c-83ca4fa4902e/posts?page=1
I just had a LAN yesterday and ran into two issues that I think you should know before you start.

-You cannot play with guest accounts offline(Like add them to the game).
-You cannot create local xbox live accounts offline like on the og xbox/360.

My advice is to create 3 silver accounts on each xbox right now. This will save you time, instead of doing it via hot spot. Obviously this doesn't matter if everyone is bringing their own xbox and TV.
Interesting. If you have no internet connection, it doesn't let you add guest profiles?

If that is the case, it might just be best to keep a tiny internet connection so that guest profiles can be used.

Or better, have everyone pull down their gamertags before starting the LAN.
I just had a LAN yesterday and ran into two issues that I think you should know before you start.

My advice is to create 3 silver accounts on each xbox right now. This will save you time, instead of doing it via hot spot. Obviously this doesn't matter if everyone is bringing their own xbox and TV.
I just ran into the same issues when I was testing the lan setup. Thanks for your helpful advice.
<p></p>

Out of curiosity, how did you buy the MCC?
  • Physical disc
  • Digital purchase
  • Xbox Game Pass

Great feedback/tips!
LarsBars wrote:

• Physical disc
  • Digital purchase
  • Xbox Game Pass
At the LAN we had all three versions and the same issue was on each one. Personally I have the physical version.
LarsBars wrote:

• Physical disc
  • Digital purchase
  • Xbox Game Pass
I had a digital purchase of the game on each xbox.

I first tried having the xboxes connected to a switch which was connected to my router, with internet access. There were no issues with adding additional players as guests on each xbox.

Second, I tried a configuration where I connected both xboxes to an old router without internet access. In this case, guests could not be added to the game, and so following Verified Camper's advice, went back online to create additional xbox live silver accounts. Signing in to those new accounts and then connecting again in the "offline" configuration did the trick.
Unfortunately, there are still things that don't work offline, which is unfortunate:
  1. Adding an offline guest accounts
  2. Saving forge maps (even locally)
LarsBars wrote:

• Physical disc
  • Digital purchase
  • Xbox Game Pass

I first tried having the xboxes connected to a switch which was connected to my router, with internet access. There were no issues with adding additional players as guests on each xbox.

Second, I tried a configuration where I connected both xboxes to an old router without internet access. In this case, guests could not be added to the game, and so following Verified Camper's advice, went back online to create additional xbox live silver accounts. Signing in to those new accounts and then connecting again in the "offline" configuration did the trick.
Thanks for the detailed information on this. I am hosting a LAN in a few weeks so I want to get this part right.

When you were offline, and you couldn't add guest accounts. Was that an Xbox One limitation/error? Or was that a Halo: MCC limitation/error? I have heard other people say that guest accounts weren't working, but it's not clear if Xbox is stopping it, or MCC is stopping it.

I seem to remember getting it to work like this, the last time I tested it:
  1. Both Xbox One consoles are connected to the internet.
  2. Launch Halo:MCC on both consoles.
  3. Disconnect ethernet cables and connect to a local-only LAN, and manually configure IP addresses on each console.
  4. Add guests to each console successfully.
  5. Join Halo:MCC LAN game successfully.
Maybe I am remembering some of the steps wrong. I will have to walk through it again. I want to nail down the exact source of the issue so that we can avoid having issues.
LarsBars wrote:
LarsBars wrote:

• Physical disc
  • Digital purchase
  • Xbox Game Pass

Thanks for the detailed information on this. I am hosting a LAN in a few weeks so I want to get this part right.

When you were offline, and you couldn't add guest accounts. Was that an Xbox One limitation/error? Or was that a Halo: MCC limitation/error? I have heard other people say that guest accounts weren't working, but it's not clear if Xbox is stopping it, or MCC is stopping it.

3. Disconnect ethernet cables and connect to a local-only LAN, and manually configure IP addresses on each console.
Maybe I am remembering some of the steps wrong. I will have to walk through it again. I want to nail down the exact source of the issue so that we can avoid having issues.
Excellent questions. On Wednesday I will run through the steps you have outlined above, and pass on the results.

I presume that under step 2, when launching Halo:MCC, you only have one account per xbox signed in (with guest accounts to be added later in step 4).

I will also note that I think you can attempt to add guests while in the game, and by also returning to the xbox home dashboard outside of the game. I will try both of those options and pass on the results.
I did some experimenting with the LAN for Halo:MCC, and I was able to add guests to a local-only LAN:

SETUP: I have 2 Xbox Ones, each with a digital purchase of Halo:MCC. My local-only LAN consists of connecting the two consoles to a router that is not connected to the internet. Using a router automatically uses DHCP to assign IP adresses to each console, whereas a switch or a single ethernet cable between the 2 consoles requires manual configuration of IP addresses.

Step 1: Both Xbox One Consoles are connected to the internet (Xbox Live).

Step 2: Launch Halo:MCC on both consoles.

Step 3: Sign in with guest accounts for remaining controllers on each console. This only works when you sign in guest accounts when you are still connected to Xbox Live.

Step 4: Disconnect from Xbox Live by removing ethernet cables and connecting to a local-only LAN.

Step 5: On each console, set network in Halo:MCC to LAN.

Step 6: Join Halo:MCC LAN game successfully.

The key for me was adding guests prior to disconnecting from Xbox Live. When you try to sign in with a guest account when you are in local-only LAN mode, there seems to be a game-level restriction that prevents the LAN game from being created.

I realize that there are still some limitations with this: to get the guest account to work, you need to have initially connected to Xbox Live first, before moving into the local-only LAN mode.

I would be interested to know if these steps work for other combinations of Halo:MCC purchase types (physical disc, digital purchase, Xbox Game Pass).

Please let me know if these steps work, or if additional clarification is required.

LarsBars wrote:
LarsBars wrote:

• Physical disc
  • Digital purchase
  • Xbox Game Pass

I did some experimenting with the LAN for Halo:MCC, and I was able to add guests to a local-only LAN:
Step 1: Both Xbox One Consoles are connected to the internet (Xbox Live).
So, that confirms what Lars Bars said. You can't add a guest without connecting to the internet. Seems like an unnecessary limitation.

But thank you for investigating this and writing the detailed post. It's very helpful. :)
Appreciate you doing the testing on this! Hopefully 343i can fix any limitations to a truly-offline LAN experience in a future update.
Question: Has anyone tried playing Halo 2A forge maps offline via LAN? Does it work?
Question: Has anyone tried playing Halo 2A forge maps offline via LAN? Does it work?
I haven't tried it, but the setting for LAN is a very global setting. It basically implies that all of the multiplayer modes that would normally work on Xbox Live, also work on LAN.
LarsBars wrote:
I haven't tried it, but the setting for LAN is a very global setting. It basically implies that all of the multiplayer modes that would normally work on Xbox Live, also work on LAN.
But does it work with only Xbox Live Silver accounts (no Gold accounts) like it did on the Xbox 360?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2