Skip to main content
The Legacy thumbstick setting are not the same as the actual control. The strafe is suppose to be on the right thumbstick, but instead you rotate left or right. Legacy is aptly named due to old gamers like myself (11 yrs+ on Xbox Live even though it says 7 yrs on my profile) who has spent thousands of dollars over the years with Microsoft. This is the original thumbstick layout. 343 is really showing a supreme amount of incompatence by not knowing how to incorporate a simple control scheme. I mean how can your customers that transition from all of the other Halo games feel appreciated if they are not welcomed correctly by 343 inability to FIX A SIMPLE CONTROL SCHEME.
I'm a legacy player, and I am appalled by the latest update that broke the game further.

Legacy is unsupported in multiplayer

And for some reason it is no longer working in the Halo 4 campaign, while it works fine in the others.

I'm afraid there are too few legacy players to make enough fuss for them to bother fixing.
Default is the original controls of Halo. However, I remember coming from Goldeneye and started out using Legacy on CE because that was how the yellow "C" buttons were mapped. Down the road, I realized the default stick controls are much more competitive. It took me a while, but i ended up forcing myself to learn the new controls. 343 needs to fix this, but I recommend trying to learn the default sticks, I bet you will end up enjoying it more in the long run.
Legacy player here too. Please fix this. I'm now finally able to get into games, but now can't play because of the lack of legacy controls.
WTF!!! It took me over 2 hours to install this update because it keep pausing and restarting over and over again - then when I finally get into a game my controls don't work and I can't play!!!!

Will this be fixed? I'm absolutely pissed off now - they are releasing fixes that break things that were not broken to begin with!!!!
I been playing halo since halo 2 came out and it's very dissapointed that a control setting is changed mess up and i am unable to play because of it. This needs to be fix if any 343 employee is reading this please fix it .
Shroctagan wrote:
Default is the original controls of Halo. However, I remember coming from Goldeneye and started out using Legacy on CE because that was how the yellow "C" buttons were mapped. Down the road, I realized the default stick controls are much more competitive. It took me a while, but i ended up forcing myself to learn the new controls. 343 needs to fix this, but I recommend trying to learn the default sticks, I bet you will end up enjoying it more in the long run.
Your absolutly right about the Goldeneye transition. That is the same reason why i use legacy. Halo CE was the only game (my opinion) that reminded me of Goldeneye and it was better made. That's why 343 should be able to fix this very quickly. Especially if the programing team from (in 1997 btw) Goldeneye was able to do it. That is what i meant
by incompetant in my opening post.
Shroctagan wrote:
It took me a while, but i ended up forcing myself to learn the new controls. 343 needs to fix this, but I recommend trying to learn the default sticks, I bet you will end up enjoying it more in the long run.
You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Which means i have been playing with these controls for at least 17 yrs and i the customer should change how i play because343 can't do their job right? Bullcrapolla. FIX IT. FIX IT NOW. So i can play MCC.
I haven't seen any acknowledgment or confirmation that they are working on a fix for us legacy players. So we really have no idea when we can play H2A again.
Wow this sucks! Legacy player here. Yeah Golden Eye is where it started for me. This is also a problem still in some new games. Im looking at you Far Cry.
Yep one broken update after another. Now I can play default but not at the level I enjoy the game at. I dont have time to learn maps again...and how to shoot or grenade. I only get to focus on one game at a time and was so excited for xbox1 release. I guess Ill go back to Destiny...at least it has proper setting config

I will not be pre ordering Halo 5.

Are you trying to kill your own fan base before you release? Pull your head out of your butt and test before you release. IMO 343 is a fly by night company that sucks at making Halo games...the formula is simple.

OH AND LETS US KNOW WHATS GOING ON!!!!...Duhhhhh...sooo dumb at 343 cant even let us know if they plan on fixing it. Crappy company
There's a few other controller-related issues that I'd like to see fixed or improved
  • Fix left thumbstick not crouching on greenthumb
  • Add left thumbstick crouch to button layouts that do not have anything mapped to left joystick press
  • Fix vibration not being able to be disabled in H3 and H4
  • Fix not being able to move when holding back to check in-game stats
  • Fix not being able to crouch while moving
Moving while checking stats is must
The Legacy thumbstick setting are not the same as the actual control. The strafe is suppose to be on the right thumbstick, but instead you rotate left or right. Legacy is aptly named due to old gamers like myself (11 yrs+ on Xbox Live even though it says 7 yrs on my profile) who has spent thousands of dollars over the years with Microsoft. This is the original thumbstick layout. 343 is really showing a supreme amount of incompatence by not knowing how to incorporate a simple control scheme. I mean how can your customers that transition from all of the other Halo games feel appreciated if they are not welcomed correctly by 343 inability to FIX A SIMPLE CONTROL SCHEME.
Agreed. I bought Xbox for halo and have continued to purchase halo games but as a legacy player on Halo 2 anniversary multiplayer games the legacy controls do not work which is lame!
I too have been using Legacy since the very first golden Eye game for the 64. I cant believe they would do this. is there anyway we can all write a letter or a complaint to 343? and hopefully get this changed. im this close to just returning the game, because I am unable to play it. 343, you are going to loose a lot of halo costumers if this issue is not resolved.
I agree , its terrible how one thing that a lot of players use they mess up.
well, anyone up for some halo 2campaign? atleast they haven't f*cked up the controls on there yet.

hit me up. slashingjewel
Hi 343, we're STILL waiting....