Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Let's add Join in Progress to Social Matchmaking

OP zvenom91

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I say let's add Join in Progress to Halo MCC Social Matchmaking or at the very least to Big Team Battle, especially since this is standard in Halo 4 on the 360. Why you may ask? Well Big Team on Halo MCC is traditionally a long wait in my experience and I think there needs to be a way to start a game 6V6 or even 7V7 and find the other teammates as long as the game hasn't exceeded the halfway point so to say. This would be a game changer and maybe would create buzz and excitement of Halo 4's best game mode now being just as electric for Halo 2 and 3 maps, and encourage players to try it. Once players quit out of a Big Team game it ends up becoming very one sided and boring which creates the illusion that Big Team simply isn't as fun as 4V4 or FFA. Yes it will take work on 343's end to create new code and server commands but this could lead to big and new changes. Please 343 lets make this idea a reality!
*Joins game, the enemy team has two banshees, two snipers, laser and your team is in a spawn trap*

No thanks. People who quit out of games usually do so because they are losing, so most people who join in progress will be on a team getting their butt kicked.
[...] People who quit out of games usually do so because they are losing, so most people who join in progress will be on a team getting their butt kicked.
I believe the opposite is also true, and I'd say even more usual than that situation: most people quit games without losing just because they hate the gametype in play or the match itself (dashboarding), then as a consequence teams start to suffer from imbalance and eventually the rest of teammates leave.

With Join in Progress enabled, that match could be great again by getting new players, given that it was healthy until someone left.

Moreover, if a team that gets a new teammate is getting overwhelmed, just image how the situation would be if they were alone. As I see it, it's fair and kind of a challenge to get new players that can even out the situation (if it's that bad, then we would have to check party matching and skill matching).

Given the worst situation, where they quit because of the imbalance, a new decent teammate can transform it quite easily.

Also, if implemented correctly, by making it optional (with incentives and rewards) and enabled by default in Social, paired with a good ban system, the overall ecosystem bound improve, and you're encouraged to help a poor team to succed.

Make it so that you still have a chance to win or to get a tie whenever a teammate decides to quit.
One of the things I liked with Halo 4 and Halo 5 was that there was this feature and I'd love if they added this feature in for the other games in MCC. All to often I'll start up a game and either someone will leave before the game even starts, whether they leave because they don't like the game mode or w/e reason, which immediately makes the teams unbalanced, or they will leave really early on in the game. I rarely get to finish games anymore where there are full teams on both sides of the game because quitting is so bad (Only game that I've played that's worse is Gears). Granted there are people who will leave when an opposing team is hoarding all the power weapons and vehicles (I've done it too with really bad games), but I find that doesn't end up happening as much as people think.

A very, VERY welcome addition if they add it in!
As someone who experienced JIP with probably thousands of games in H5, I'd rather just wait until I get a game from the start.
I wonder how JIP would work with Party Matching in the picture.
Agreed. Also it would be easier to find a match.
Maybe yes, if the match has just started and one or more players have dropped out for whatever reason, but when the game is already well underway I'd say no.

I do not want a JIP system that drops me into matches like this.
I'm glad to see this topic gaining traction, I hope I don't get too much flak for suggesting to 343 to incorporate a feature from Halo 4/ 5 into a game like MCC. I think this opens up the flood gate to the future of waiting less to join games and almost instantly finding a game if MCC stays or becomes more populated. Big Team searching takes far too long for something that is so popular that the only reason people deal with the poorly aging servers of Halo 4 is to play Big Team, it's also the quickest way to play rounds of it. Yes lets not suggest that you get put into unfair games but Social Matchmaking is social for a reason, it's not ranked and I think it's meant for enjoyment. Games meant for 8V8 can start out at 6V6 and find players 2 to 5 mins in as long as the game hasn't reached the halfway point since that's how Halo 4/ 5 work. Once again this is a pipe dream but if 343i is reading this I want this to be a feature just like bringing in maps from the 360 versions was a LONG pipedream. If a person only has to wait 2 mins versus 5 to find a game then I feel this is a trend that 343 can not afford to miss because now this opens up the casual appeal when newer games start to lose people and interest where as Halo is engraved into society like Mario and Zelda at this point. I'll end my rant here but to me there is never a bad time to add important features that improve quality of life which this is.
It'd be nice, but only for games that are just kicking off in the first minute or two. If you join real late into a game, there's a good chance of it being super one-sided and while social is made for fun, having literally no chance in a game is not fun for anyone at all.
I am absolutely down for this, but I think this should be not just for Multiplayer Matchmaking only, I think 343 should look to including this in the campaign missions, firefight missions, Forge mode, etc. Pretty much every other mode alongside matchmaking should have Join in Progress.
I agree with this. AFK booting + a JIP system will be great additions to the game.
just no delete this now keep that on halo 4 where it belongs
Ideally it would be opt-in, just like (hypothetical) social party matching, that way there's no complaints. If you join 3 or whatever terrible games, you can just turn it off and join lobbies like normal again
Wait wrote:
Ideally it would be opt-in, just like social party matching, that way there's no complaints. If you join 3 or whatever terrible games, you can just turn it off and join lobbies like normal again
Yeah I think this is what would encourage 343 to have this as a option. If your going to attempt to make everyone happy which BTW you won't then well make me and others happy and lets speed up the process of finding Big Team games by giving me a option to toggle it on. Especially if your trying to join a friend and there happens to be a spot open, I just want the games to remain fair and for 343 to be open minded to changes at any given moment. We need to give the power to the population playing.
No thanks
JIP is a horrible addition to Halo 5 and the only way it should ever be implemented in another Halo game is if people can opt out of it
JIP tends to work well for games that are round-based, like CS:GO. For a game like Halo and a game mode like BTB, it becomes a bit more challenging to implement in a fair way since, as others have pointed out, the other team could have hoarded all of the vehicles and power weapons - making the game pretty much unwinnable. With round-based games/game modes, you tend to have a better chance at coming back when down because each round resets the playing field. Not so in Halo BTB.

Ultimately, I'd like to see JIP added as a toggleable setting, with the additional measure that in-progress games which are past maybe one third or half way in score or time (whichever comes first) are no longer eligible for joining. I feel like that's probably a fair enough compromise. This could also be a feature which 343 could implement in a future Insider build, then flight with a subset of the community to see what people think. If it's not well-received, certain parameters could be tweaked and re-flighted, or it could just be abandoned if it's really that disliked.
TomCat025 wrote:
Ultimately, I'd like to see JIP added as a toggleable setting, with the additional measure that in-progress games which are past maybe one third or half way in score or time (whichever comes first) are no longer eligible for joining. I feel like that's probably a fair enough compromise. This could also be a feature which 343 could implement in a future Insider build, then flight with a subset of the community to see what people think. If it's not well-received, certain parameters could be tweaked and re-flighted, or it could just be abandoned if it's really that disliked.
Yes let's push to at least compromise and have a JIP Toggle, I agree that people assume the enemy team will have a good bit of map control but I will argue that if the game is within 10 kills it's worth letting others join in open spots. I've played my fair bit of Big Team and I've honestly come from behind 20+ kills on Halo 4 before so it's not impossible and I would have never had the chance of doing so without Join In Progress being a feature. If we want a good future for Halo then we need every feature we can have from previous games while adding in features all the time for improvement. I love a challenge and this is going to be 343's challenge I want them to conquer
I think a JIP Toggl would be the way to go. Maybe as an incentive a JIP gets the same base XP as full game (once and if XP is implemented). This of course would become a way for people to XP boost, but would also fill up teams so win win?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2