Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Matchmaking Broken after NXE Update

OP The Bronx Bull

Throughout the month of October and up until the NXE update, I had been playing Master Chief Collection consistently without many issues. Some bugs and dropped games here and there, but you could consistently find matches in Team Slayer, Team Snipers, Halo 2 Classic, etc. You could sit down to play for two hours and find games within a minute or two of each other, even after Halo 5 was released (which would have stolen some of the population).

Then the Xbox NXE update hits. Correlation doesn't equal causation, but it seems as though right after the update, I was unable to find any games at all, so I turned my Xbox off. Well it's been a couple of weeks now, and I'm still in the same boat. I can let it search for ~20 minutes and it might find *ONE* match to play, and then nothing after that.

The screen continually says "Searching for Players.." "Players found..." and then loops around without any players showing up in the lobby.

This is particularly frustrating because most of the Halo forums are only focused on Halo 5, which I have zero interest in - particularly after 343 provides zero or close to zero support for their existing product. I do believe Master Chief Collection has its own unique population of players that are not interested in Halo 5, and I believe those players are dedicated enough to the older-style gameplay (Halo 2, 3) to make the game relevant for several years. That said, I'm worried that this latest set of matchmaking search issues will decimate the population that is remaining. It has been nothing short of frustrating for the past week and a half to not find games within a twenty minute search period, and it is even more infuriating that there's nothing you can do about it. In short, I do not believe this is a population problem.

Is anyone else experiencing the issues described? What is going on? 343 - can anyone from your company at least acknowledge the problem?
cannot say ive had this issue i have been golden havent played mcc to much not enough to say i know for sure though ive been on halo 5
I have had the exact same problems as you The Bronx Bull; ever since the NXE update was pushed out I haven't been able to play the Master Chief Collection whatsoever. I have even reached out to Xbox support and they were no help at all. Hopefully someone at 343 will work on this.
I notice you can't play any time you want, the only viable times for quicker matchmaking times (1-3 min) is playing between 3pm-3am est, other then that, seems almost impossible to get into a game for some playlists.

Older call of duty games probably have around the same number of players that MCC has now, they have no problem finding you games, 343 still has a broken game 1 year after launch, you would have thought they learned from Halo 4's matchmaking system failure at the start but no, they just keep repeating these damn mistakes.

I AM SICK OF THIS GARBAGE, NOW I AM HEARING HALO 5 ALSO HAS PROBLEMS LIKE THIS AT CERTAIN TIMES? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH 343, GET YOUR DAMN ACT TOGETHER ALREADY.

THEY SHOULD HIRE INFINITY WARD TO MAKE THE DAMN MATCHMAKING SYSTEM, I AM NOT A BIG FAN OF COD GAMES, I ENJOY HALO MORE BUT AT LEAST THEY ARE GREAT AT MAKING A DAMN MATCHMAKING SYSTEM.

I have been trying to play Halo 4 playlist, can't play at all right now.
I notice you can't play any time you want, the only viable times for quicker matchmaking times (1-3 min) is playing between 3pm-3am est, other then that, seems almost impossible to get into a game for some playlists.

Older call of duty games probably have around the same number of players that MCC has now, they have no problem finding you games, 343 still has a broken game 1 year after launch, you would have thought they learned from Halo 4's matchmaking system failure at the start but no, they just keep repeating these damn mistakes.

I AM SICK OF THIS GARBAGE, NOW I AM HEARING HALO 5 ALSO HAS PROBLEMS LIKE THIS AT CERTAIN TIMES? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH 343, GET YOUR DAMN ACT TOGETHER ALREADY.

THEY SHOULD HIRE INFINITY WARD TO MAKE THE DAMN MATCHMAKING SYSTEM, I AM NOT A BIG FAN OF COD GAMES, I ENJOY HALO MORE BUT AT LEAST THEY ARE GREAT AT MAKING A DAMN MATCHMAKING SYSTEM.

I have been trying to play Halo 4 playlist, can't play at all right now.
I have tried at primetime, as well as off-hours, with basically the same result: searches that continually restart and about one match every 40-60 minutes (if that). "Players Found" comes up, but the list is missing two players, and then back to "Searching for Players."

I can attest with 100% certainty that before the Xbox dashboard update (November 12th) everything was working just fine. So we're going on ten days now without a functioning matchmaking search - feels like the MCC release all over again.
I agree, the MCC matchmaking is broken again.
I miss BUNGIE, they put attention to community players. 343 only make broken games. We were sold a broken game to raise funds for H5. Pathetic, for that reason I will not buy H5.
At least 343 makes good games in my opinion. Halo Reach and Halo 4 are my favorite Halo's, I have not played Halo 5 enough to decide on that game yet, I like Reach slightly more than Halo 4 but not by much.

IF 343 IS READING THIS, FIX THE MATCHMAKING SYSTEM ASAP PLEASE. Big Team Battle also needs more map variety, I never see Meltdown, Wreckage or Shatter to be voted for in addition to other Halo 1/2/3 maps. I suggest BTB be divided into Halo 1/2 maps and Halo 3/4 maps playlists.
At least 343 makes good games, in my opinion. Halo Reach and Halo 4 are my favorite Halo's, I have not played Halo 5 enough to decide on that game yet, I like Reach slightly more than Halo 4 but not by much.

IF 343 IS READING THIS, FIX THE MATCHMAKING SYSTEM ASAP PLEASE. Big Team Battle also needs more map variety, I never see Meltdown, Wreckage or Shatter to be voted for in addition to other Halo 1/2/3 maps. I suggest BTB be divided into Halo 1/2 maps and Halo 3/4 maps playlists.
Halo Reach = Bungie
Halo 4 = 343
It is hard to fathom that a game after a year of being released has the same issues as when it was launched. I bought MCC to play 2/3 games otherwise I would be playing 4/5 right now...horrible.
ReniXFox wrote:
At least 343 makes good games, in my opinion. Halo Reach and Halo 4 are my favorite Halo's, I have not played Halo 5 enough to decide on that game yet, I like Reach slightly more than Halo 4 but not by much.

Halo Reach = Bungie
Halo 4 = 343
Yes I know, didn't mean to insinuate that 343 made Halo Reach.
Same problem here. Before the Nov 12 xbox one dashboard update i had no problem finding mcc matchmaking games. Since then its become almost impossible to find games. Im convinced it was the update that has broken this game yet again.
Question for anyone having the problem: in your network settings, did your NAT change to "strict"? Before the NXEO update, mine was open; now, it's strict.
I get this in BTB. Sometimes ok, sometimes constant playlist dropping at 15 people...

343 is a mediocre developer. They bit off way more than they could chew with Halo. Problem after problem.
Reach dlc
Halo 4 ignorance/ launch
Halo 2a frame drops
MCC unplayable for 6 months
H5 playlist woes, aiming wrong and features missing