Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

[Locked] MCC - Playlist Preview Feedback Thread

OP Postums

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 11
  4. 12
  5. 13
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. ...
  9. 22
I really dislike the playlist selection, and the idea of "rotational playlists". As proven in Halo 5, it just limits the fun to try and push players into less popular playlists, playlists which probably should have been the ones to get removed. If there must be rotational playlists, I think each game should get a list of fixed playlists. 3 for each.

Fixed playlists for ALL HALO GAMES
  • Ranked 4v4
  • Social 4v4
  • Big Team Battle
Big Team Battle is a major part of every Halo game. In some games, like Halo 4, its more important than smaller 4v4 games. Putting it as a rotational playlist just limits the experience we can have. All other playlists such as SWAT, Fiesta, Hardcore e.t.c can be rotational as in my opinion, those aren't part of the core Halo experience, well as much as BTB is concerned.

Also why Ranked Team Hardcore for Halo 3? Why not just ranked 4v4? Seems very odd to put such a low populated gamemode as the MAIN ranked playlist for Halo 3, when 4v4 Ranked with BR starts would be more popular.
Would really like to see ranked team Doubles in H2 if we're going to be getting it in CE and H3.

H2 4v4 Team Slayer is fun, but in ranked you got...Plasma Pistols
It's a bit disappointing to see Snipers not there, it's just such a staple of Halo...

I understand there's population issues, but have you guys considered allowing "opt-in" multiple playlists for people who don't really care too much what they play?

For example, let me just make a custom playlist through a checklist -- I could name it "4v4" and simply "include" Slayer/Hardcore/SWAT/Snipers from any game in my list of allowable match-ups.

This would let me be a sort of "filler" player to help complete the lobby for any gametype that is lacking a population, thus potentially allowing you guys to include more game modes, since my search wouldn't be nearly as specific as those who prefer to stick to just one gametype.

Perhaps these types of "give me whatever lobby needs a filler" searches could even be incentivized somehow (eg. a separate "Good-guy XP" on the service record) to help boost the overall availability & variety of game modes.

I guess that's going a bit beyond the current scope of the flight #2 (and dev work needed) but it's just a thought since this is clearly at a "can't please everybody" point right now and there's going to be a lot of disappointment unless these kind of alternatives get brought up early-on.
To be honest, I think the current playlist system is FAR superior to this one. Players have more variety to play the gamemodes they want to play WHEN they want to play them. You should have done something like this instead:

Have matchmaking be one combined section altogether, so when a player presses matchmaking, they are greeted to a selection of FIXED playlists categorised in "Social" and "Ranked". So instead of separating the games into separate playlists, they are combined again.

Ranked Playlist:
  • Head to Head
  • Free for All
  • Team Slayer
  • Team Objective
  • Team Doubles
Social Playlists
  • Team Slayer
  • Team SWAT
  • Big Team Battle
Then, in matchmaking settings (Maybe pressing Y) you bring up search filters. This then allows you to set preferences, such as what games you want to search for. As a sidenote: I think that the intelligent delivery is a cool idea, but I think that will do more harm than its worth, especially in custom games. What if people want to play some custom games but they don't have a certain game installed? What if they have slow internet? Surely having it simply be a filter in the matchmaking is a much better option rather than forcing them to uninstall parts of the game and dividing the community. If anything this is WORSE than someone not owning a certain map pack back in the older Halo games. A little off topic but its still relevant.

Then, you could even have a third category of playlist, specifically for events and rotational playlists. This would look something like this (with fewer gamemodes obviously, just listing ALL the gamemodes, id imagine only 2 or 3 would be available at a time)

Event Playlist
  • Action Sack
  • Team Snipers
  • Team Hardcore
  • Community Playdate (when 343 members go into matchmaking for a few hours)
  • Grifball
  • Infection
Main thing to take away from this though is this:
  1. Matchmaking categorised into Social, Ranked and Events, NOT between games.
  2. A game filter check list so you can search the games you want to search, on the gamemodes you want to play. If the gamemodes aren't compatible with the game you have selected, grey it out.
To be honest, I think the current playlist system is FAR superior to this one. Players have more variety to play the gamemodes they want to play WHEN they want to play them. You should have done something like this instead:

Have matchmaking be one combined section altogether, so when a player presses matchmaking, they are greeted to a selection of FIXED playlists categorised in "Social" and "Ranked". So instead of separating the games into separate playlists, they are combined again.

Ranked Playlist:
  • Head to Head
  • Free for All
  • Team Slayer
  • Team Objective
  • Team Doubles
Social Playlists
  • Team Slayer
  • Team SWAT
  • Big Team Battle
Then, in matchmaking settings (Maybe pressing Y) you bring up search filters. This then allows you to set preferences, such as what games you want to search for. As a sidenote: I think that the intelligent delivery is a cool idea, but I think that will do more harm than its worth, especially in custom games. What if people want to play some custom games but they don't have a certain game installed? What if they have slow internet? Surely having it simply be a filter in the matchmaking is a much better option rather than forcing them to uninstall parts of the game and dividing the community. If anything this is WORSE than someone not owning a certain map pack back in the older Halo games. A little off topic but its still relevant.

Then, you could even have a third category of playlist, specifically for events and rotational playlists. This would look something like this (with fewer gamemodes obviously, just listing ALL the gamemodes, id imagine only 2 or 3 would be available at a time)

Event Playlist
  • Action Sack
  • Team Snipers
  • Team Hardcore
  • Community Playdate (when 343 members go into matchmaking for a few hours)
  • Grifball
  • Infection
Main thing to take away from this though is this:
  1. Matchmaking categorised into Social, Ranked and Events, NOT between games.
  2. A game filter check list so you can search the games you want to search, on the gamemodes you want to play. If the gamemodes aren't compatible with the game you have selected, grey it out.
My Spartan, this is the method to use. They even have the UI for only installing certain games, why double that up or limit it with playlists then?
Heres an idea of many
HCE
  • Social 4v4
  • Ranked 2v2
  • Rotate BTB
H2
  • Ranked Team Hardcore
  • Social 4v4
  • Rotate BTB
H2A
  • Ranked 4v4
  • Social 4v4
  • Rotate BTB
H3
  • Ranked Team Slayer
  • Ranked Team Hardcore
  • Social 4v4
  • Social BTB
H4
  • Social 4v4
  • Rotate BTB
Damn now I have to think about this and come back to it lol. That's 10 if you're not counting BTB, then you add in FFA and that's what I got so far.
Every game except H2A needs a BTB playlist, period.
I disagree. I think Halo 2: Anniversary deserves a BTB playlist just like every other game. There are three maps that are perfectly good for it: Stonetown, Remnant and Bloodline.

I am so disappointed that to this day, I've only played maybe two games of Halo 2: Anniversary BTB. Not to mention there are achievements for H2A that you can't really get except through BTB.
Here's a little example of what I meant above...

Custom Search
Allow:
Game....|CE|H2_|H3_|H4|
FFA.......|_x_|_x_|_x_|_x_|
Rumble..|_x_|_x_|_x_|_x_|
1v1........|___|___|___|___|
2v2 .......|_x_|___|_x_|___|
Slayer....|___|_x_|_x_|___|
Objectv..|_x_|_x_|_x_|_x_|
HCore...|_x_|_x_|_x_|___|
MultiTm.|_x_|_x_|_x_|_x_|
BTB......|_x_|_x_|_x_|_x_|
SWAT...|___|___|___|___|
Snipe....|_x_|_x_|_x_|___|
ActionS|___|___|___|_x_|
Infect....|___|___|_x_|_x_|
GriffB....|___|___|_x_|___|

Ranked/Social could either be hard-set per each individual case, or this could be an opportunity to test out the idea that ZaedynFel was talking about a while ago about having an On/Off switch for when you want the matches to count towards your rank.

Also, I totally didn't notice that FFA was missing from the list at first, so I just want to say now: BIG MISTAKE!!
FFA is way, wayyy more popular in classic Halo than current Halo.

It honesty blows my mind that there's no ranked FFA currently, there's toooons of people who would be playing it. Just because sprint ruined it in newer titles doesn't mean you should be so quick to dismiss it for classic halo. I personally don't mind sprint that much for social team modes, but its effects are felt twice as much in FFA.

It's really like a completely different game and that's why it has struggled in newer titles, not due to a lack of popularity.
Can we get an FFA playlist that just includes every game? I really miss ffa.
Legitsky wrote:
Avoideds wrote:
Why do you guys need to make a playlist for every separate halo game instead of just giving people the option to choose which halo games they want to play per playlist? For example the party leader can choose which halo game he/she wants to play in the playlist and it matches them against other players who want to play that specific game or people can have the option to play any halo game. By default it would be "All games" option but you could have the option to choose one single game you want to play in that specific playlist. Or people who only install one single halo game can only get the maps for that specific game. That way you can have a variety of playlists you can add in and not worry about population. There is absolutely no way this will work with each single halo game having a separate playlist since it's 4 different games. If it was 2 games i could understand.

You guys have 2 dubs playlists right now. Halo 1 dubs and dubs for the other games. Just combine them. Add halo 2/h2a/h4/h3 to team slayer ranked and let people choose which halo game they want to play. Can you imagine how insane the population would be in team slayer if you did that? Would be the same for other playlists as well. People from all 4 games playing 1 single playlist instead of splitting the population between multiple. If you add a playlist in for each game that's just going to be so many playlists you're going to have to add in to make everyone happy and it's just going to split the population. Better to combine it all in one playlist.

Example

Ranked Playlists ( all halo games)
Team Slayer
FFA ( for the solo players)
DUBS
Team Hardcore
Head to Head ( 1v1 customs are the most played custom game modes)

Social ( all halo games)
Team Slayer
Swat
Btb
infection
( can add a few more social playlists)

It's way simpler to do that. Less playlists then there are right now and it would only be 9-10 playlists.

I don't see why you guys need to rotate ffa playlist in back and fourth. This screws over all of the solo players. There are more solo players out there than people who play with friends/parties. The only playlists they'd be able to play is the team playlists. Almost every single game has a solo playlist ( Cod/fortnite/etc.) In the "What playlist" you would like to have" i read ffa so many times and you guys decide to only make it a rotational playlist.

Also @Legitsky knows what he's talking about when it comes to what needs to be added and not to be added. He's very intelligent and the man lives and breaths halo. If i had to choose one guy to to represent the Mcc community on what needs to be added and what not to add it would be him and i imagine tons of other people would agree. You guys definitely should get into a skype call with this guy sometime and get his thoughts on what needs to be added and what not to add for the matchmaking aspect of mcc because he knows and cares more about the matchmaking aspect of mcc more than anyone on here.
Great post Avoided! I genuinely agree with your idea to have all inclusive ranked and social playlists, because it allows for variety and personalized customization for all players. As you stated, imagine being able to play ranked Team Doubles and selecting an option to only play Halo 2 and Halo 3. Or only Halo CE. Or even all of the Halos. The MCC matchmaking would become a customized playground for ranked and social players alike, having options presented to them to fit their wants and needs. I like this idea also because it allows for a playlist lineup that isn’t too large, but not too small either. We don’t need an exclusive 4v4, 2v2 and 8v8 playlist for every Halo necessarily, as we can all agree that having 20-30 playlists is far too much. Why not consolidate and give the power to the players to decide how they want to play eh? I would love to be able to search ranked Team Slayer and have the option to play every Halo, some Halos, or just one Halo depending on my mood.

Also, Avoided made a critical point about Free For All playlists. He has made forum posts in the past about how FFA is not only a staple playlist in Halo matchmaking, but also a widely requested playlist to be included into the MCC. I could reference many Halo games from the past that had thriving FFA communities and populations years after their launch, but I think the best example of this is classic Halo 3. Original Halo 3 had a multitude of FFA playlists throughout the years. And although they were all very similar for the most part, each playlist had a commonality with one another; high populations. Solo queue players have always been the backbone of Halo. If all else fails, running a few games on your own would be a fair bet guaranteed. Even since Halo 3 became backwards compatible, a near 11 year old game mind you, it is still possible to find games in the Ranked Lone Wolves playlist at most levels during the day time. That’s remarkable to me, and speaks volumes about the hardiness of the solo queue Halo player. Additinally, FFAs have a long standing competitive history in Halo. Some of the best players have lobbied up and duked it out in the ranked FFA playlists of the past, playlists such as Lone Wolves, MLG FFA and Legendary/Mythic Brawl. People may agree or disagree about whether or not Free For Alls are for everyone, but I will reiterate perhaps the most importantly point of my reply to this post. Solo queue players are the backbone of Halo. And if they are given a chance to pool into an FFA playlist whenever they please, I guarantee that the playlist will thrive. This could be tested by making a cross game or single game FFA a rotational or limited time playlist at first. Test the waters, examine the steadiness of the population, and make a decision on making it permanent from there. This process could potentially be used for many other playlists, such as Multi Team and Team Objective. But I still have confidence that FFA would pull in higher than average player traffic, if the playlist could lock parties as large as 8 and as small as 6.

Also Avoided, thank you very much for your kind words! I would gladly take an opportunity to give direct feedback to 343 in the form of a community ambassador of sorts, if given that kind of chance. I know I could speak for both the competitive and casual audience, as I have played both sides my entire Halo career. For now, I am more than happy playing the test flights for the MCC on the insider hub and relaying my feedback on the forums here. But if I need to step up, I’m only a few clicks away! Hahahaha. I encourage you to keep posting your ideas as well, because you have very well formulated thoughts on the what needs to change in Halo as well. You and I are some of the few competitive veterans willing to get on this forum and speak our minds; let’s keep speaking for those who won’t speak for themselves!
I agree 100%! I'm so glad alot of people have spoken up about the lack of ranked ffa, it is a staple if the franchise, hopefully with so many people wanting it they will add it in! I think it would work well as a ranked playlist with all the titles in one playlist. Ranked FFA really needs to be a permanent playlist too, no rotation, in past games FFA has always been one of the most populated playlists.
First of all, I must say that I'm ecstatic that the initial plan is to include a permanent 4v4 CE playlist. This is something that many CE fans on MCC have wanted to see return since it was briefly rotated in years ago.

However, I'm much less enthusiastic about many of the other proposed changes.

Particularly the idea of rotating BTB. BTB is a mainstay of Halo, and needs to be permanently available for all titles. I don't think they all need to be in one BTB playlist or all separate, but I think it might work to have it divided up into either CE/2/2A and 3/4, or CE/2/2A/4 and 3 being entirely separate. Either way, if CE and 2 BTB are not available 24/7 I know myself and a number of other classic Halo BTB fans will lose a lot of interest in MCC. And 3 certainly has enough fans to support its own BTB playlist, or combined with 4.

And personally, I think action sack should stay as a permanent cross-game playlist. I would even add some CE games to it. And perhaps infection and Grifball could be absorbed into it as well. I know not everyone cares for it, but when I'm playing MCC solo, 90% of the time I do action sack. Losing it would lessen the appeal of the game for me, regardless of what other playlist changes are made.

Also, in a previous post, someone mentioned that they would like to see an objective playlist, and I second this. I prefer objectives to slayer, but for the most part Halo tends to cater to slayer, despite the wealth of unique and interesting objective gametypes available across all Halo titles. At the very least, I think a wider variety of objective gametypes should be included in certain playlists that aren't exclusively slayer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0pkdp5rQWI
From someone who still plays this game regularly:

Social 4v4 Team Slayer: H2, H3, H2A (not the biggest h2a fan but it's good to have a social 4v4 option for everything)

Social Classic BTB: H1 and H2

Social/Ranked SWAT: H2, H3

Social/Ranked Snipes: H2, H3

Ranked Dubs: H2, H3
Ranked Lone Wolves: H2 and H3

Social Halo CE 4v4
Ranked Halo CE 2v2

Ranked H2 4v4

Ranked H3 4v4 (Maybe my biggest request to keep this one)
Social H3 BTB

Ranked H2A 4v4

Ranked 4v4 Hardcore: H2, H3 (I'd also be fine with giving each their own playlist)

H4, I don't care if it's ranked or social and I'd rather we all forget this game existed but I guess it needs a playlist.

That's 14 which is what we have right now I think, if search times are fixed there shouldn't be a problem with finding games in any of them. Maybe make a rotating playlist and swap out snipes for something else on occasion. Mostly I just want Team Slayer and ranked H3 to stay. If we can get a classic BTB playlist that would be cool because it's almost impossible to get a legit game of h1 or h2 in big team without people quitting and those are the best games for BTB.
The newest build that just came out like 30 minutes ago doesn't feel anything like the 1v1's. It feels just like regular MCC H3.
With the lack of playlists makes it so there are maps that won't be hit for months or so, I believe this may make things very stale. Is it possible to come up with ranked playlists, put them for each game, and then have socials of the same playlist marked as crossplay? Obviously this will hit more than 9 playlists, but I feel like 9 is too little since that essentially is about 2 per game or less than 2 per game if H2 and H2:A are different games. Moving on, I don't know how map selection works of late, but if it just pushes players to play whatever is selected, could the players get selected for a map, then there's a check to see if the player has the map, and if they don't, they get pushed back into matchmaking? Yes, this is less than ideal, but maybe that's something that should be stated when they decide to not download all games that their matchmaking time maybe longer for crossplay playlists.
Fishmvn wrote:
The newest build that just came out like 30 minutes ago doesn't feel anything like the 1v1's. It feels just like regular MCC H3.
Wrong thread??
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/84ad72a8b51847978545f685f651fc15/topics/mcc-insider-flight-2---early-access-feedback/3479f1a1-80f0-4760-ab00-d2eeb3bd6325/posts
I love the idea of randomizing and rotating a few of the games in some of these playlists for players to experience all that the Halo games have to offer without being picky ever again. Just like how it is with Halo 5: Guardians currently. I will not be a pill and throw a fit about anything. To add next to Free For All matches soon to come as part of the rotation, I would of course like to see Multi-Team (4 teams of 3).
some sort of FFA playlist should be rotated like the BTB playlist will be. There also needs to be a multi team playlist
My two cents on the proposed list that Postums posted on Twitter:

Quote:
The newly proposed list:

Crossplay
Social BTB (CE, H2, H2A, H4)
Ranked FFA (CE, H2, H2A, H3)

CE
Ranked 2v2
Social 4v4

H2
Ranked TS
Ranked Team Hardcore

H2A
Ranked 4v4

H3
Ranked TS
Ranked Team Hardcore
Ranked 2v2
Social BTB

H4
Social 4v4
While I would personally love a ranked 2v2 playlist in H3 (and H2), I don't think the demand for it is enough to yield a population large enough to justify adding a playlist for it when one of the goals is to keep the playlist count short.

There also needs to be social 4v4 options for H2 and H3 rather than just ranked options; while I personally would like to keep Hardcore as the ranked option for H2, I don't think that the population would justify it.

While I would prefer H2A to have both a ranked and unranked option, I agree at keeping H2A at one playlist due to population concerns.

H3 seems like the best place to keep a Hardcore playlist and seems like the only game that would support a tournament setting playlist. I do want to note however that I personally would love to see Hardcore as the ranked option for H2 and would love to see it implemented as such even though I don't believe that it would go over well or hold enough of a population.
  • Add a permanent crossgame Action Sack
  • Add a slot for a rotational playlist that changes periodically (SWAT, 1v1, Snipers, Grifball, etc. with some ranked and some unranked depending on competitiveness)
  • Change H2 Ranked Hardcore to Ranked 4v4 (comprising a mix of objective and slayer games)
  • Change H2 Ranked TS to Social 4v4
  • Change H3 Ranked TS to Ranked 4v4
  • Change H3 Ranked 2v2 to Social 4v4
  • I'd rather see FFA rotate games periodically than have all the different options at the same time. I think this will help H3 always winning the vote, although having it as a full crossplay playlist isn't too bad an idea and could work. Having it be one game at a time gives the option of having competitive settings as voting options (example: during H2's time in the slot players can vote between Lockout FFA, Ascension BR FFA, Modified MLG Midship FFA).
That leaves the final proposal looking like this:

Quote:
Crossplay
Social BTB (CE, H2, H2A, H4)
Action Sack (H2A, H3, H4) {If there are customs that can support CE and H2 throw them in too}
[Rotational Playlist Slot] (SWAT, 1v1, Grifball, Snipers, etc.)

FFA
Ranked FFA (Rotates between CE, H2, H2A, H3)

CE
Ranked 2v2
Social 4v4

H2
Ranked 4v4
Social 4v4

H2A
Ranked 4v4

H3
Ranked 4v4
Ranked Team Hardcore
Social 4v4
Social BTB

H4
Social 4v4
Yooo! Love these playlist ideas :D

I really like the rotating BTB playlist and would love to see a permanent Rotating FFA playlist to go with it that way you could have two rotating playlists floating about in different games and my love for FFA can be satisfied at all times :D

I also really like the Ranked playlists being the hardcore variants and containing other game types. It never made sense to me to have a ranked slayer, arena, and hardcore when they could be merged into one that'd benefit match times and population. I wish Halo 5 would do this too. The hardcore variants also have the added benefit that if social 4v4 slayer gets stale for people they can jump into ranked and get some game type variety and objective game modes that rely more on team work which fits in well with ranked play. I also like the idea of having a rotating arena playlist as that will help provide opportunities for more social and fun game types since it's unranked :)

Halo 4 I think could benefit from upping the player numbers to 5v5 as if my memory fits right a lot of the bigger maps on Halo 4 can be played comfortably in a 5v5 setting though I haven't played much Halo 4 in awhile so maybe there's some better opportunities or ideas there to explore.

H2A is kind of in an odd spot. I think I'd prefer to see a Social 4v4 there instead of ranked to increase the population but part of me likes the idea of ranked/hardcore opportunities to explore the HCS settings. I don't think having two playlists there though would be best for the population. Maybe having it be a permanent 4v4 Social Arena could provide competitive matches with HCS settings as well as more social matches without scaring away people because it's ranked.

I overall love the selection but my biggest problem is no permanant/rotating FFA so that's my biggest request that be added. I saw in the update that "We hear the FFA crowd as well and we plan to rotate that into this slot on a regular cadence based on usage and feedback" but I think permanent rotating would be best here.

Excited for these upcoming changes :D Keep up the great work <3
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 11
  4. 12
  5. 13
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. ...
  9. 22