Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

[Locked] MCC - Playlist Preview Feedback Thread

OP Postums

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 22
I’m sorry if this comes off as aggressive, but I think I speak for many people when saying my patience with 343 is wearing incredibly thin. Ranked H3 4v4 is one of the only playlists currently keeping this game alive / relevant and to scrap it because you’ve arbitrarily decided “9” is the correct number of playlists could not better exemplify the disconnect between this franchise’s developers and its community. Every single MCC Twitch stream is either ranked H3 or ranked doubles. This isn’t addition by subtraction; this is nonsensical removal of two anchor playlists under a rationalization that nobody really asked for.
Postums, with all due respect, are you guys nuts? Your current lineup of the 9 MCC playlists is terrible. No ranked Halo 3 Doubles or Team Slayer is ABSURD. I know that this lineup is subject to change, but news spreading that the two most populated ranked playlists are potentially getting axed is not improving your rapport with fans. Your latest post has not been live for even an hour, and Halo players all across Twitch.TV and Xbox Live are already outraged at your update. You should know by now that word of mouth is a critical aspect for many players' opinions on games, and it doesn't help that your feedback link isn't working for numerous people. Many Halo fans who were not able to participate in the latest flights were already feeling uneasy about these updates, but now a large portion of the community is feeling pushed away as well. I advise you to poll the community and take player feedback BEFORE you post big changes like playlist lineups, because the majority of the community that ins't involved in beta testing The MCC insider program is hearing "My favorite playlists are going to be gone. I can't play the new MCC competitively, and I can't play my favorite Halo in my favorite Halo, so what's the point of even playing?" I did not come here to chastise you for your post. I came here to speak for the part of the Halo community that won't speak for itself, because they are tired of hearing what they don't want to hear. I have read far too much negative feedback on your latest post today. And I haven't even read a single comment in this forum yet. Thus far, I have only mentioned the lack of Ranked Halo 3 Doubles and Slayer. I haven't even begun to acknowledge the issues with the other game specific playlists, rotational playlists, and the fact that there are only going to be 9 playlists total. I hope things change drastically, because my confidence in this update and the future of Halo as a whole is beginning to waiver even further.
QUOTE REPORT EDIT
Hey All,
I’m going to make this as quick as possible (hopefully). I’m thrilled with the work going into MCC. Been playing Halo since CE. That being said playlists are a crucial component to the game. I know projected player base and many other things are taken into account when setting the cap at 9 playlists. However, the playlists that were given are rather lackluster and quite basic. So I propose rotating ranked playlists in addition to the rotating social, in which every week, or every other week the ranked/social playlist changes for the game. The playlists could look like so one week:

Halo CE
Ranked 2v2 Doubles
Social 4v4
Halo 2
Rotating Social Playlist (Big Team Battle/Arena)
Social 4v4
Halo 2: Anniversary
Ranked 4v4 Swat
Social 4v4
Halo 3
Ranked Team Hardcore (or Ranked Head to Head)
Social 4v4
Halo 4
Social 4v4

So the playlists would be automatically set up to rotate weekly or bi-weekly, one week would look like the above list, the second week would look like so:

Halo CE
Ranked Team Hardcore (or Ranked Head to Head)
Social 4v4
Halo 2
Ranked 2v2 Doubles
Social 4v4
Rotating Social Playlist (Big Team Battle/Arena)
Social 4v4
Halo 3
Ranked 4v4 Swat
Social 4v4
Halo 4
Social 4v4

In which the game still maintains the nine playlist cap, as well as giving the “sweaty” halo fans nine 50’s to obtain(three per game), instead of four. This system also allows for the social rotating playlists. While maintaining even game exposure, as well as not limiting the playerbase to one ranked or social playlist forever.

Given the restrictions set by the MCC Team, as well as so many other things I think this is the best compromise (assuming the backends services and service records could track three ranked playlists per game). Giving the ranked playlist fans variety and more to grind for, and the social players can still play social.

Let me know your thoughts about the proposal!
If there could only be 9 playlists, then it honestly seems like a waste to have both a 4v4 ranked and a 4v4 social.

CE:
Ranked 2v2
Social 4v4

H2:
Ranked 2v2
Ranked 4v4 (don't say hardcore because it puts off people, just say 4v4 and include maps with good gametypes on them).

H3:
Ranked 2v2
Ranked 4v4
BTB

H4:
Ranked 4v4

H2a:
Ranked 4v4

Then once you're done and you have to scroll, 3 cross game playlists:
FFA
Action Sack
BTB (no h3)

However if you have Smart matchmaking then just do these 7 playlists:

Ranked 2v2 (check mark which halos you want to search) (use separate ranks for each game)
Ranked 4v4 (Check mark which halos you want to search) (use separate ranks for each game)
BTB (Check which halos you want to search).
Action sack (check which halos you want to search)
FFA (Check which halos you want to search)
Social 4v4 (Check which halos you want to search).

Let btb lock in with 6v6,7v7, or 8v8 players.
Let 4v4 lock in with 3v3 players.
Don't match parties of 3-4 which parties of 1-2 in ranked playlists. Dont match team of 2s with solo searches in ranked doubles.
The majority of people don't play just one halo game. Let us search the titles we want when we play matchmaking.

As for some more information. I still play halo 3 on 360. There have been no matchmaking updates in 8 years and it's still workable.

Here are the stats:
Lone wolves: 100% playable any time and day no matter your rank
Halo 2 doubles: 100% playable solo searching. 100% playable as a party of 2 if you search 50 high (if youre both double 40s you can match 50s so you can match people).
Team Slayer: 100% playable any level solo searching. team of 3/4 not possible.
Team snipers: low levels 100% playable, 50 high is infrequent
team swat: 100% playable at low levels. 50 high is almost non existent.
MLG: 100% playable any level. team of 3/4 not possible.

Social:
skirmish: dead
btb: peak times on weekends
social slayer: anytime and day
multi team: slow times but still good

So not the best, and not the worst. and remember this is after the xbone took all the halo3 players.

If we look at 2014 before mcc's announcements this is what we get (7 years after launch)

Here are the stats:
Lone wolves: 100% playable any time and day no matter your rank
Halo 2 doubles: 100% playable solo searching. 100% playable as a party of 2 if you search 50 high (if youre both double 40s you can match 50s so you can match people).
Team Slayer: 100% playable any level solo searching. team of 4 possible, not 3.
Team snipers: playable all levels. no team of 3s/4s
team swat: 100% playable at low levels. 50 high is infrequent. no team of 4s/3s
MLG: 100% playable any level. team of 4 possible 50 high, not 3

Social:
skirmish: My 2nd most played playlists. search times were 1-30minutes except at the worst hours.
btb: any day and time
social slayer: anytime and day
multi team: any day and time

Ending notes:

And MCC's population is going to be better than 2014's halo 3 pre MCC announcement. you are really selling population numbers short. social playlists only require 8-16 people then you can cycle them out every game AT WORST (8-15mins). realistically a hopper of 100 people will keep wait times below 5minutes and every playlist will have 100 people in it.

Please take notice. Even if party matching party makes it sometime impossible to get a game because there is no party on their skill level for ranked, that is still 100% better than the alternative of matching them against solo/duo searchers.

Also please for the love of Halo, make ranked playlists have no radar, especially in doubles. Halo ce has no radar in 4v4 social right now (and i love it).
Honestly I think we should just have BTB separated permanently among all the games. Maybe FFA for those interested in it. If I can play both CE 4v4 and CE BTB permanentl, i won’t play another other game for months. I’ll be glued to my TV!
Considering there is going to be a custom game lobby, I think we are just missing H3 Doubles Ranked.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Honestly it looks pretty good to me. It's obvious that the cross-game playlists were causing problems so this makes the most sense. As an almost exclusive BTB player, I would suggest rotating it every 2 weeks instead of every month. For someone like me who dislikes H4 and CE BTB, I could go 2 months without even playing a game in my favorite playlist. That goes for anyone who dislikes BTB on a certain game. Faster rotation for the MCC BTB playlist could help with such a problem.
Family wrote:
If you're going to make any playlist ranked in H3 I would not suggest Hardcore. That alienates a large portion of the community that plays H3, and it has a very small population. Making Team Slayer ranked appeals to a larger range of players. Not to mention it offers a myriad of maps if Sandbox, and all of the slayer map variants are added.
Except Team Slayer is garbage and should never be ranked, lol. Team Hardcore being the ranked thing is fine when it's (IIRC) based on MLG settings and is good for comp playing. It's not alienating anybody who actually cares about a rank.
Legitsky wrote:
Postums, with all due respect, are you guys nuts? Your current lineup of the 9 MCC playlists is terrible. No ranked Halo 3 Doubles or Team Slayer is ABSURD. I know that this lineup is subject to change, but news spreading that the two most populated ranked playlists are potentially getting axed is not improving your rapport with fans. Your latest post has not been live for even an hour, and Halo players all across Twitch.TV and Xbox Live are already outraged at your update. You should know by now that word of mouth is a critical aspect for many players' opinions on games, and it doesn't help that your feedback link isn't working for numerous people. Many Halo fans who were not able to participate in the latest flights were already feeling uneasy about these updates, but now a large portion of the community is feeling pushed away as well. I advise you to poll the community and take player feedback BEFORE you post big changes like playlist lineups, because the majority of the community that ins't involved in beta testing The MCC insider program is hearing "My favorite playlists are going to be gone. I can't play the new MCC competitively, and I can't play my favorite Halo in my favorite Halo, so what's the point of even playing?" I did not come here to chastise you for your post. I came here to speak for the part of the Halo community that won't speak for itself, because they are tired of hearing what they don't want to hear. I have read far too much negative feedback on your latest post today. And I haven't even read a single comment in this forum. I hope things change drastically, because my confidence in this update is beginning to waiver as well.
QUOTE REPORT EDIT
PREACH PREACH PREACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Legitsky wrote:
Postums, with all due respect, are you guys nuts? Your current lineup of the 9 MCC playlists is terrible. No ranked Halo 3 Doubles or Team Slayer is ABSURD. I know that this lineup is subject to change, but news spreading that the two most populated ranked playlists are potentially getting axed is not improving your rapport with fans. Your latest post has not been live for even an hour, and Halo players all across Twitch.TV and Xbox Live are already outraged at your update. You should know by now that word of mouth is a critical aspect for many players' opinions on games, and it doesn't help that your feedback link isn't working for numerous people. Many Halo fans who were not able to participate in the latest flights were already feeling uneasy about these updates, but now a large portion of the community is feeling pushed away as well. I advise you to poll the community and take player feedback BEFORE you post big changes like playlist lineups, because the majority of the community that ins't involved in beta testing The MCC insider program is hearing "My favorite playlists are going to be gone. I can't play the new MCC competitively, and I can't play my favorite Halo in my favorite Halo, so what's the point of even playing?" I did not come here to chastise you for your post. I came here to speak for the part of the Halo community that won't speak for itself, because they are tired of hearing what they don't want to hear. I have read far too much negative feedback on your latest post today. And I haven't even read a single comment in this forum. I hope things change drastically, because my confidence in this update is beginning to waiver as well.
QUOTE REPORT EDIT
PREACH PREACH PREACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Word
I cannot fully express my frustration with this blog update. I do not understand one bit why Halo 3 4v4 and Team Doubles were not first options on that list. They should’ve been engraved permanently before any other playlist considering they are the only ranked playlists that are populated at any given hour of the day 24/7 since they have launched. Majority of the MCC population that is still on this game in 2018 are people that prefer ranked over anything. They are the ones that complained most about the bugs in this game! Casuals really do not know anything about the bugs they wouldn’t even know better. I cannot take this seriously. The Halo: 3 community is the biggest community in MCC. People have put up their own money to host Halo 3 tournaments (2v2, 3v3, 4v4) with plenty of contestants in each tourney over the years! We have went out of our way to keep this game alive. Nearly every twitch streamer that pulls viewers on MCC is streaming Team Doubles or Halo 3 Ranked. I just can’t take this seriously. This is just going backwards. This is not progress. This update will mean nothing if they go all in with these 9 playlists, GG.
I cannot fully express my frustration with this blog update. I do not understand one bit why Halo 3 4v4 and Team Doubles were not first options on that list. They should’ve been engraved permanently before any other playlist considering they are the only ranked playlists that are populated at any given hour of the day 24/7 since they have launched. Majority of the MCC population that is still on this game in 2018 are people that prefer ranked over anything. They are the ones that complained most about the bugs in this game! Casuals really do not know anything about the bugs they wouldn’t even know better. I cannot take this seriously. The Halo: 3 community is the biggest community in MCC. People have put up their own money to host Halo 3 tournaments (2v2, 3v3, 4v4) with plenty of contestants in each tourney over the years! We have went out of our way to keep this game alive. Nearly every twitch streamer that pulls viewers on MCC is streaming Team Doubles or Halo 3 Ranked. I just can’t take this seriously. This is just going backwards. This is not progress. This update will mean nothing if they go all in with these 9 playlists, GG.
It's the biggest part of the community because everyone else left, lmao. Not exactly a good argument for these playlists.
It's the biggest part of the community because everyone else left, lmao. Not exactly a good argument for these playlists.
And you’re suggesting they abandon what’s left of the community that keeps the game alive? Great idea!

This post has been hidden.

This post has been hidden.

Slim is speaking volumes of truth. Experienced players who log higher than average hours playing Halo (at all levels of online play) understand the nuances that make a successful matchmaking system. Additionally, said players are the most capable at identifying multiplayer issues that are minor and uncommon to severe and game breaking more than ANYONE else. I will argue that until my voice goes hoarse.
Doubles for ce/2/3 definitely need to make it in but dude team hardcore is 4v4 lol. You should be petitioning to include citadel, sandbox, etc in team hardcore if you want them in there. but team hardcore settings are better than default halo 3 4v4. And while I think the halo 3 community would still be the biggest, it's really hard to have a halo2/ce community for MCC when those games don't even work on MCC.
The complete removal of cross game playlists is incredibly frustrating. Losing action sack and swat to appease the single game crowd is very much a let down. Plus going single game artificially eats up the artificial cap of 9 playlists.
Unknown wrote:
Those playlists are horrifying to look at honestly.

At least include the following to make more people happy.

Team Doubles Ranked For
Halo 3 and Halo 2

Head to Head Ranked For
Halo 3 and Halo 2

EXP Progression System Implemented per playlist/overall EXP

Halo 3 Ranking System for every playlist instead of Halo 2 Ranking System I would believe bring a lot of people back.
Grinding for the 5 Star General Rank in the Playlist and Overall was what made the game fun.

Social Playlists to have their own EXP system without ranks.

Please do NOT release these playlists like this without making proper adjustments. Thank you
^ Exactly. 343, you need to look to the past to realize what made Halo great to begin with. If it ain't broke don't fix it, right? EXP progression encourages players to grind, and when players grind they play longer and more often. Ultimately, having players play longer and more often creates a LASTING POPULATION. This is one of the most critical aspects that needs consideration during the flighting of the MCC update. The player base will return when MCC is fixed, but whether or not they stay longer than a few weeks depends entirely upon the delicate changes that are needed to revamp and improve matchmaking.
9 playlists of my choice huh? Well that's easy:

Halo CE
  • Objective Ranked 2v2
  • Objective Social 4v4
Halo 2
  • Objective Ranked 4v4
  • Objective Ranked BTB 8v8
  • Objective Ranked 4v4
Halo 3
  • Objective Ranked 4v4
  • Objective Social 4v4