My top Feature Wishlist Item for MCC would probably be seeing title cross-play capabilities; in other words, I’d love to see the matchmaking, custom games -- including accessible customs via the potential browser, campaign, etc. all be accessible and playable between people who are on the original Halo 3, ODST, and Halo 4 disks with those on the MCC; plus, I’d include the Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (CEA) title too, but that would also require having its Reach-based matchmaking added to the MCC which I’d very much love to see. This would require the past titles being revisited and having their online inner-workings including playlists retooled which I can't imagine would be an easy process.
The primary reason this is my most desired addition for the MCC is because it would centralize and pool the player base for those who are interested in playing the classic titles -- at least for those that continue receiving operational online support. I think cross-play is a critical aspect of a long-term outlook as it helps ensure the classic titles are positioned to maintain the best experience for the player base as possible. However, if that’s a bit too massive and ambitious of a goal for the immediate future perhaps one of my other items could be seen as a more practical option.
So, if title Cross-Play isn't going to receive consideration for this update then how about…
EXAMPLE 1: Playlist Concept
- Social and Big Team matchmaking receiving a Join-in-Progress system that’s fairly identical to Halo 5’s. Of course, customs should receive a JiP system too.
- Standardizing a set of top level or "quickplay" playlists that combine multiple titles under a specific theme using Social and Ranked environments, but players could also individually select a que for specific games (a particular title per the playlist) that they were interested in playing too. (see below for an example and further description)
- Adding Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary matchmaking to MCC.
- Adding more Anniversary maps by introducing purchasable DLC packs.
- Adding Halo 3: ODST Firefight with custom browser support.
- Full custom control settings or a new Universal option that’s similar to Zoom & Shoot but better aligned with Halo 5’s default setup. I also wouldn't mind seeing the level of control settings from Halo 5 introduced too such as dead-zone adjustments and individual sensitivity settings. (see below for an example)
- Add the new TrueSkill system being worked on to the playlists and for the Ranked playlists combine it with a CSR system that's more in line with what Halo 5 uses (seasonal resets) though pair it with a playlist experience progression too (aka experience based military ranks). The Social playlists would simply reference the experience based military ranks instead of any competitive skill ranks.
- Matchmaking preference selections that are perhaps similar to Halo 5’s Focused, Balanced, & Expanded options.
Throwdown - (CE, H2, H2A, H3, H4) - The Hardcore/MLG/Pro/HCS stuff from the past.
Slayer - (CE, CEA, H2, H2A, H3, H4)
SWAT - (CE, CEA, H2, H2A, H3, H4)
Doubles - (CE, CEA, H2, H2A, H3, H4)
Lone Wolves FFA (CE, CEA, H2, H2A, H3, H4) - Weekends only?
Grifball (H3, H4) - Weekends only
Skirmish - (CE, CEA, H2, H2A, H3, H4) - Social Slayer combined with non-slayer-based Objectives.
BTB - (CE, CEA, H2, H2A, H3, H4)
Infection - (H2A, H3, H4)
Shotty Snipers - (CE, CEA, H2, H2A, H3, H4)
Action Sack - (H2, H2A, H3, H4) - roll Multi-Team and crazy Rumble Pit modes under the Action Sack banner by not having the playlist defined as a 4v4, but a mix of modes that feature 8 total players.
The offerings above act as a sort of "quickplay" (or a generally themed) option for the general public if they don't wish to select a specific title under one of the playlists. Those that do select a more specific title can match players who are also searching via the same specific request or with players who are searching under the "quickplay" playlists as well as people who are searching from a specific title's (H3, CEA, H4) original disk too and vise versa (if title cross-play is an implemented feature). Players should also have the ability to select and que individual searches for any number of particular titles if they so wished under a type of mix-and-match search system (similar to what Titanfall 2 has in place). The system should be designed to allow individuals and fireteam leaders to search per a specific request or multiple specific requests or per the general "quickplay" playlists. This is simply another type of cross-play concept and I'm sure it also would require a complete reworking of the online inner workings of matchmaking to make it work.
EXAMPLE 2: Universal Control Option
Left Trigger (LT) - Zoom (defaulted to non-toggle)/Use Secondary Weapon (H2 & H3)/Vehicular E-Brake or Power Slide/Vehicular Boost
Righter Trigger (RT) - Use Primary Weapon/Vehicle Horn
Right Bumper (RB) - Melee/Banshee Flip Technique/Vehicular Airbrake or Superglide Technique/H3's Hornet Ascend
Left Bumper (LB) - Throw Grenade/H3's Hornet Descend
Left Thumbstick Click (LS) - Toggle Zoom Level (CE, H2 & H3 - when no secondary weapon)/Reload Secondary Weapon (H3)/Sprint (H4)
Right Thumbstick Click (RS) - Crouch (defaulted to non-toggle)
Y Button - Change Weapon/Duel Wield (H2 & H3)/Swap Secondary Weapon (H2 & H3)
X Button - Actions/Swap Primary Weapon/Reload (for H3 this references the Primary Weapon Reload)
B Button - Use Flashlight (CE - multiplayer & campaign/H2 - campaign only)/Use Arbiter's Active Camo (H2 - campaign only)/Use Equipment (H3)/Use VISR (ODST)/Use Armor Ability (H4)
A Button – Jump
Left & Right D-Pad - Switch Grenades
Up D-Pad - Multiplayer Teamchat (CE, H2, & H3)/H3's (Campaign Only) Flashlight/Campaign Waypoints (ODST)/Toggle Zoom Level (H4)
Down D-Pad - Toggle Zoom Level
Button combo of some type to enact the "Lower Weapon" action for Machinima purposes.