Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

MCC Development Update Blog #3

OP ske7ch

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
Hey folks, the latest MCC update blog is now available for your reading and informational pleasure. Check it out RIGHT HERE. I know it's been a bit of a stretch since the last update, so thank you for your patience and continued eagerness to be a part of this program! And as always, please keep the feedback coming!
Some tasty details. Can't wait to see what's in store.
ske7ch wrote:
Hey folks, the latest MCC update blog is now available for your reading and informational pleasure. Check it out RIGHT HERE. I know it's been a bit of a stretch since the last update, so thank you for your patience and continued eagerness to be a part of this program! And as always, please keep the feedback coming!
Just read it over. Amazing stuff. Been with this game (or collection of games) since day one. I respect how you guys are taking your time to make sure it's the best possible product you can deliver.
Spoiler:
Show
Glad to see the start of the UI changes. One important but possibly easily-overlooked improvement is the legibility of player nameplates; all you need to do to see how bad it is currently is to fullscreen the lobby screenshot in the blog post and try to read the player's name from 5 feet away. That white font on that light blue gradient background is bad enough up close, but it's downright unreadable sitting on the couch 5 feet away from my TV. Making the nameplates bigger, bumping up the font sizes, and adjusting the colors to improve contrast would go a long way and be 100% worth the effort!

I really hope the team can keep this kind of thing in mind and do plenty of couch testing (and not just with massive screens, either, since we all don't own 60" monster TVs) and keep the fonts at a decent size. (This is also a huge headache in Halo 5, by the way; I have to lean forward and squinting to try to read Req descriptions)
Great stuff, you give me hope for Halo.

No mention of playlist updates though, is that just because the first flight is h2a?

Also h2a is great but you guys need to at least get forge maps into these playlists because 6 maps is not what h2a deserves.
i really like the UI design that you guys are going with so far i am looking forward to possibly testing it out been a MCC fan since day 1 looking forward to next update and yes i registered for the program a while ago
Awsome news!
It was cool to see a taste via screenshots. It is hard not to play through all 5 titles again on my Scorpio knowing a patch is around the corner!
Thank you 343i for your most excellent efforts!
I was downloading and looking at old Halo 3 maps to remake on MCC (came across some of your stuff), played matchmaking for a bit...Hopped in the shower, ate some food, checked Halo Waypoint for a new MCC post and bip,bap, BOOM — NEW UPDATE ON THE MCC UPDATE!

This is some exciting stuff (it all is...), and that new main menu WIP looks cleaaaan. The main menu change that happened way back when (with the terminal montage going on in the background) made me all jittery. Needless to say a new UI change is delivering double the jitters.

Exciting. Stuff.
Wow, a lot of great info in there. Love the new splash screen and main menu setup.
I’ve never been more excited for an update to a game. All the details are great and I’m super excited for LAN support. The real question is, during the flighting builds will split screen be allowed?
I hope you'll address the hit-detection and auto-aim issues with Halo CE and Halo 3. Though they weren't perfect in the originals either, they are worse on MCC. I am glad to see you guys are addressing even the specifics of Halo 2's inconsistencies though, keeps me hopeful.
I like how the new UI is organized, but not how it looks, because personally I do like how the current UI looks, and I would like to keep how it looks hopefully (maybe) there's an option to choose a look that one likes, although I really find that unlikely, can't have enough of how the new UI is organized however...
I like how the new UI is organized, but not how it looks, because personally I do like how the current UI looks, and I would like to keep how it looks hopefully (maybe) there's an option to choose a look that one likes, although I really find that unlikely, can't have enough of how the new UI is organized however...
Given they state that the UI is a WIP, I'm sure feedback about it from flighting will bring in both function and visual changes.
You have essentially opened Pandora's box with Custom Edition maps for Halo CE in a good way. There's no better series then Halo to make modding mainstream on Xbox. Heck the MCC could be used as a "flight program" later on for Halo 6. Imagine dedicated fans being able to mod their own gametypes, maps etc for Halo 6 or gasp do their own anniversary games wink wink with that engine.
I love the new UI/Menu look, and the new Title Screen and Menu art is amazing! Way better than the light blue asteroid field in the retail version. Can't wait to help you guys out with making MCC better, and I thank you all for doing this too!
For main menu: it 's great to finally have vertical menus, but now the styles look disjointed. The new items are round and modern and gradient, with the old elements retaining their flat, blocky look. Unifying the vertical menu under a central (and traditional, a la Halo 3) aesthetic would be easy on the soul.

Also, the main menu music gets repetitive. More options for more variance on main menu music (adding more songs per game, maybe making it possible via toggle to listen to all songs for all game menus) would be good for those who play often.

Loving the detailed dev updates! :)
I am an absolute fan of the new UI, especially the title screen. Just looking at it makes me feel like I’m about to play Halo CE for the first time again. I can’t wait to see it in person. You guys are doing an amazing job and I am excited where you take Halo MCC and Halo 6 next.
Great update ske7ch and the Publishing Team! I'm loving everything I'm seeing! Only one small critique is that the "Total Progress" indicator on the new menu isn't intuitive to me. If an install is pending, then it makes sense. But if you're just showing the user how much of the total available data they've chosen to install, then it seems confusing. Maybe I'm not understanding it.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
ske7ch wrote:
For that reason, it uses a variable resolution approach that prioritizes a smooth frame rate but can occasionally result in the resolution dropping slightly (the same tech was used in Halo 5). What this means is that as MCC is receiving visual enhancements, with a goal of making everything 4K, there’s still a likelihood that H2A might periodically dip below that resolution
If we are using a 1080p display, should we expect a stable 1080p with no dips below that, at least?

Regarding the new UI, while the new splash/title screen looks fantasttic, the other UI preview has me worried: I LOVED the animated background unique to each title in the collection that came up when you selected that game's campaign in the menu, it seems like it might be gone now.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6