Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

MCC Development Update Blog #5 - Discussion

OP ske7ch

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. ...
  9. 14
Is there a valid reasons why all ranks are not being reset? Like....seriously guys? Come on already.
BxSouIjah wrote:
Is there a valid reasons why all ranks are not being reset? Like....seriously guys? Come on already.
I'm pretty sure @Postums said the ranks are being reset for the update.
I think its the worst list I have seen so far. Not even kidding. Seriously?? combining h2c and h2a into a cross playlist? Thank goodness they are breaking the playlist up.
Sinfvl wrote:
BxSouIjah wrote:
Is there a valid reasons why all ranks are not being reset? Like....seriously guys? Come on already.
I'm pretty sure @Postums said the ranks are being reset for the update.
Only for the new playlists that are being created. The retaining ones will not be reset. Seems very moronic not to reset all the ranks back to 1 when the big update finally comes out.
BxSouIjah wrote:
After reading the entire blog post I do want to say that I'm very happy about this upcoming update and the direction our community seems to be headed. However there's one thing that's been bothering me in regards to the proposed playlist options.

I think having a maximum of 7 ranked playlists is an excellent number and I am ecstatic that Hardcore is being separated into two separate playlists. But then it begs the question, why have the Arena playlists at all?

The default or "vanilla" settings, gametypes, and map choices that exist for H2 and H3 can be very enjoyable to play, however I would argue that we do not need these in a ranked nor competitive environment; that is what Hardcore/MLG does for us. The players who grinded these default H2/H3 playlists on MCC are looking for fair, balanced, and competitive matches. So why do we need 4 playlists for an experience that is already provided in much better ways in 2? It appears redundant.

Getting 8 sweaty H2 players in a lobby and having them play on maps like Ivory Tower, Collossus, Burial Mounds, Desolation, Tombstone, Elongation, Gemini, Turf, Backwash, and Zanzibar with SMG starts, Plasma Pistols and Motion Sensor, isn't the competitive experience people want to watch nor play. There's a reason we stopped playing on these maps in tournament in 2006.

And on the H3 side, forcing 4v4 matches on maps like High Ground, Cold Storage, Isolation, Orbital, Assembly, Epitaph, Citadel, Snowbound, and Blackout with AR starts, Equipment, and Radar, is great for casual play, but becomes a nightmare at the higher levels.

I suggest using those two playlist slots to potentially offer things such as H2 Doubles or Free for All since these modes have been sorely underutilized in the MCC thus far. On top of this we could dub the Hardcore/MLG playlists as "Team Arena". The players who are scared to search a playlist because of an intimidating name are most likely not even going to notice the difference.

TL;DR: H2/3 Hardcore playlists should be called "Arena" while the current Arena playlists should be replaced with H2 2v2 and FFA.
This guy should work at 343 ;)

My suggestion of playlists

Ranked Playlists
  • H1 Team Doubles
  • H2C Team Hardcore
  • H2A Team Arena
  • H3 Team Hardcore
  • Halo 4 Team Arena
  • H3/H2C Team Doubles ( I think doubles is fine the way it is now... H2C can belong in doubles too.)
  • Ranked Swat or FFA (We don't have the population data, you guys do. Whatever is more in demand obviously. )
Getting rid of arena playlists for H2C and Halo 3 will open up more room for a ranked dedicated Halo 4 playlist, as well as a Team Swat or FFA playlist. Social Playlists
  • Quickplay Slayer - (Slayer offerings across all four titles)
  • Crossplay BTB – Collection of BTB offerings on H1, H2C, H2A, and Halo 4
  • H3 Big Team Battle
  • H1 Team Arena
  • Action Sack / Infection*
  • Swat or FFA - (Whichever isn't chosen as a ranked playlist above)
As a side note, removing the Halo 2 and Halo 3 arena playlists should further populate the hardcore playlists, leading to more accurate ranked matches, which equals better match quality.
BxSouIjah wrote:
After reading the entire blog post I do want to say that I'm very happy about this upcoming update and the direction our community seems to be headed. However there's one thing that's been bothering me in regards to the proposed playlist options.

I think having a maximum of 7 ranked playlists is an excellent number and I am ecstatic that Hardcore is being separated into two separate playlists. But then it begs the question, why have the Arena playlists at all?

The default or "vanilla" settings, gametypes, and map choices that exist for H2 and H3 can be very enjoyable to play, however I would argue that we do not need these in a ranked nor competitive environment; that is what Hardcore/MLG does for us. The players who grinded these default H2/H3 playlists on MCC are looking for fair, balanced, and competitive matches. So why do we need 4 playlists for an experience that is already provided in much better ways in 2? It appears redundant.

Getting 8 sweaty H2 players in a lobby and having them play on maps like Ivory Tower, Collossus, Burial Mounds, Desolation, Tombstone, Elongation, Gemini, Turf, Backwash, and Zanzibar with SMG starts, Plasma Pistols and Motion Sensor, isn't the competitive experience people want to watch nor play. There's a reason we stopped playing on these maps in tournament in 2006.

And on the H3 side, forcing 4v4 matches on maps like High Ground, Cold Storage, Isolation, Orbital, Assembly, Epitaph, Citadel, Snowbound, and Blackout with AR starts, Equipment, and Radar, is great for casual play, but becomes a nightmare at the higher levels.

I suggest using those two playlist slots to potentially offer things such as H2 Doubles or Free for All since these modes have been sorely underutilized in the MCC thus far. On top of this we could dub the Hardcore/MLG playlists as "Team Arena". The players who are scared to search a playlist because of an intimidating name are most likely not even going to notice the difference.

TL;DR: H2/3 Hardcore playlists should be called "Arena" while the current Arena playlists should be replaced with H2 2v2 and FFA.
This guy should work at 343 ;)
I agree with the general idea, but to be honest this sort of defeats the entire point of having the MCC. MCC is supposed to facilitate fans of Halo who want a very specific experience (CE, H2, H3, etc) with an easily accessible replication of the original experience. While the competitive aspect of Halo (which is one of the most important parts of Halo) would be stifled in favor of the casual experience, the important thing to remember is that for the large majority of Halo fans the “casual” experience is the default experience. Removing Team Arena playlists essentially forces people to use the Quickplay Slayer playlist, which is a severe downgrade given that you aren’t guaranteed to play what you want.
Well i can't play because the Xbox live gold and, the acceptacion message don't appear in my mail, so someone have a solution
Ok so say I wanted to delete Halo 4 as soon as I get this update. How does the affect my ability to participate in cross-game playlists? Say I wanted to play BTB but I would much rather play on coagulation than ragnarok? If I delete a game included in a cross-game playlist can i still play that playlist?
Ok so say I wanted to delete Halo 4 as soon as I get this update. How does the affect my ability to participate in cross-game playlists? Say I wanted to play BTB but I would much rather play on coagulation than ragnarok? If I delete a game included in a cross-game playlist can i still play that playlist?
I asked this earlier, the answer was no.
when does Mcc insider open up to everyone else? I feel like it’s been a week by now hasn’t it?
I think its the worst list I have seen so far. Not even kidding. Seriously?? combining h2c and h2a into a cross playlist? Thank goodness they are breaking the playlist up.
Well, are you calling the list the worst one just because of one item? While you could be right, my list was just trying to have only 9 playlists to keep the population consistent. And some of the list items are taken from what 343 said first. Maybe we could have 10 playlists, but no more or we'll be in the same issue as nowadays, where a player can't find matches in most playlists. So, please read the posts before answering them. And why would be combining H2C and H2A in the same playlist a problem? They are practically the same, but one of them is improved, aren't they? Otherwise, you divide the community between the new one and the old one.
I think its the worst list I have seen so far. Not even kidding. Seriously?? combining h2c and h2a into a cross playlist? Thank goodness they are breaking the playlist up.
Well, are you calling the list the worst one just because of one item? While you could be right, my list was just trying to have only 9 playlists to keep the population consistent. And some of the list items are taken from what 343 said first. Maybe we could have 10 playlists, but no more or we'll be in the same issue as nowadays, where a player can't find matches in most playlists. So, please read the posts before answering them. And why would be combining H2C and H2A in the same playlist a problem? They are practically the same, but one of them is improved, aren't they? Otherwise, you divide the community between the new one and the old one.
see right there is where you are wrong. There is no similarity between the two games other then the title halo 2. they play completely differently from the movement all the way to the aiming. h2a is a casual paradise. h2c has an incredible high skill gap. but this is a great example of why we need separate playlist because some players don't play in or even care about other halo communities.
Ok so say I wanted to delete Halo 4 as soon as I get this update. How does the affect my ability to participate in cross-game playlists? Say I wanted to play BTB but I would much rather play on coagulation than ragnarok? If I delete a game included in a cross-game playlist can i still play that playlist?
I asked this earlier, the answer was no.
Honestly, this is my biggest gripe with the current playlist setup. I like BTB, and I don’t like Halo 4. Now I’m basically forced to have Halo 4 installed if I ever want to play Halo 2 BTB.
Ok so say I wanted to delete Halo 4 as soon as I get this update. How does the affect my ability to participate in cross-game playlists? Say I wanted to play BTB but I would much rather play on coagulation than ragnarok? If I delete a game included in a cross-game playlist can i still play that playlist?
I asked this earlier, the answer was no.
Honestly, this is my biggest gripe with the current playlist setup. I like BTB, and I don’t like Halo 4. Now I’m basically forced to have Halo 4 installed if I ever want to play Halo 2 BTB.
EXACTLY! And 343 I GUARANTEE you that the overlap of people who want to play halo 1 and 2 btb and people who want to play halo 4 is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than the people who want to play 3 and 4. Just give us all the options! Then ALLOW US TO SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE IN EACH PLAYLIST!!!! We the players have no right to whine about matchmaking times if we knowingly enter a playlist with 30 players! Please I love Halo and I want to be able to get a match on bloodgulch or uplift and not crossbow. Pls I love Halo so much just make a BTB for every game and LET US SEE PLAYLIST POPULATIONS!!!! Also I think Swat should also exist as game specific please. Your whole "Intelligent Delivery" system means nothing if not having one game downloaded locks you out from playing a game you HAVE downloaded. Also thank you so much for all the work you've done so far it is amazing 343 you aren't bad pls just hear what I'm sayin.
Ok so say I wanted to delete Halo 4 as soon as I get this update. How does the affect my ability to participate in cross-game playlists? Say I wanted to play BTB but I would much rather play on coagulation than ragnarok? If I delete a game included in a cross-game playlist can i still play that playlist?
I asked this earlier, the answer was no.
Honestly, this is my biggest gripe with the current playlist setup. I like BTB, and I don’t like Halo 4. Now I’m basically forced to have Halo 4 installed if I ever want to play Halo 2 BTB.
EXACTLY! And 343 I GUARANTEE you that the overlap of people who want to play halo 1 and 2 btb and people who want to play halo 4 is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than the people who want to play 3 and 4.
Cite your source please.
I think the revised playlists are great! Caters for everyone! Good job 343! Looking forward to Halo 2 Swat and FFA.
Bio wrote:
when does Mcc insider open up to everyone else? I feel like it’s been a week by now hasn’t it?
Impatient myself. But in the update post thethey said if all goes well it would go live for all insiders as early as this week. So I'm guessing since we haven't heard anything we won't get it this week, but MAY hear an update about it this weekend or early next week, and available maybe about the same time.

I really wanna rerun through the campaigns again!
People praising 343 for reduced playlist scraps after all this time “fixing” the game. It was 343’s idea to shove 4 games on one disk and then they want to worry about population control so we get bare minimum playlists. I’m not satisifed at all and this is why there is little to no hype for your products anymore. H2 and H3 should be chock full of ranked and social playlists.

Give us all playlists as well as show the populations for each playlist and let the community decide what we want to populate. Then you can step in and do your job by process of elimination to reduce consistently dead playlists. But to hold back most playlists because YOU fear a low population, will be self fulfilling. Also, very reminiscent of your H5 release. Start giving your consumers more options and quit trying to control every little thing.
Bio wrote:
when does Mcc insider open up to everyone else? I feel like it’s been a week by now hasn’t it?
Impatient myself. But in the update post thethey said if all goes well it would go live for all insiders as early as this week. So I'm guessing since we haven't heard anything we won't get it this week, but MAY hear an update about it this weekend or early next week, and available maybe about the same time.

I really wanna rerun through the campaigns again!
Same, I been waiting since the blog post about phase 1 and 2 and keep checking my insider this week and nothing showed up, really hoping something will happen the start of next week at Monday. (And yeah the same, would like to rerun through all campaign’s.)
STOMPDOWN wrote:
People praising 343 for reduced playlist scraps after all this time “fixing” the game. It was 343’s idea to shove 4 games on one disk and then they want to worry about population control so we get bare minimum playlists. I’m not satisifed at all and this is why there is little to no hype for your products anymore. H2 and H3 should be chock full of ranked and social playlists.

Give us all playlists as well as show the populations for each playlist and let the community decide what we want to populate. Then you can step in and do your job by process of elimination to reduce consistently dead playlists. But to hold back most playlists because YOU fear a low population, will be self fulfilling. Also, very reminiscent of your H5 release. Start giving your consumers more options and quit trying to control every little thing.
343 is out of touch with its player base. Your right. They stuff as much of their product into one sock as they can, with the promise of HD classic Halo at 60 fps on dedicated servers, only to ration out content as if they actually know what they are doing. And at this point it is frustrating that they have not opened up the test server to all owners of MCC. They take so much from players/consumers, and give back so little (like our money for a broken game). They really screwed up halo by botching fair starts and they are still very silent on things like party matching, and now they want to take total control of playlists. I understand that they took a poll but maximizing playlist options at the outset and then addressing population should be the way to go. Dont they already know what people play? They have information that they wont share with us about populations in current retail MCC, and that version is BROKEN. More people will play your game if you fix it. 343 is like "big brother"; they think they know best, but they don't.
How many playlists are on current retail MCC, and how many are they proposing for the update? Does it make sense?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. ...
  9. 14