Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

MCC, in my opinion, is obligated to be faithful.

OP Nobaru Kaku

Halo: MCC is a great game, and the 343 team have been doing an amazing job with added cut content to truly make this the definitive experience (with the exception of unfaithful armor). However, because they are shutting down the servers (which I don't understand, if it's peer to peer it doesn't take up dedicated server space right?) I believe they are now responsible for capturing the original FEEL of the classics, which they don't do to the fullest. For one, that majestic Halo Reach opening screen is completely gone, at least with odst they put it into the campaign opening. The iconic loading screens are absent. And while this next thing is minor I think it goes a long way in immersing the player in the lobby atmosphere - the background gun shots and ambience in the lobbies is absent. I remember leaving my xbox on idle in the menu and listening to that ambience all night, so perhaps it's overly nostalgic to me more then others. As for the unfaithful armors, they should probably make a season by season switch for whether you can see the armors, because I want to see GRD but not the Loki and all that, or perhaps themed switches. Because I like the Halo 3 online ODST stuff but not the Halo 4 looking online stuff and I believe those are both in the same season. Anyway I hope in the long run they add these things. Bots would be cool too, to preserve matchmaking after the game dies for us few who want to live the Nostalgia every now and then. Obviously bots have a long way to go before they can be convincing. But away I just wanted to hear other people's opinions on the matter.
Obligation to retaining the original feel is tough line to walk. Things like increasing the resolution, frame rate, graphics options, and adding new content are antithetical to capturing the experience as it was. I can’t imagine playing any of these titles again at sub 1080p @ 30FPS, but a lot of the features I just mentioned are pretty well received. The gameplay loop for all the titles is “mostly” preserved. CE and H2 get screwed the most in this department for numerous reasons that range from frame rate or botched aspects.

Things like loading screens would be a pain in the -Yoink- to maintain across 7 different games. I’m fine with the unified UI, somethings it does well like the music cues when switching between the campaigns, and other things like the leaderboards and overall appearance are less than stellar.

The MCC is a collection and focusing on preserving the gameplay loop is more important than capturing the subtle details of legacy menus. If this is something that you really want, I think modders got you covered.
Obligation to retaining the original feel is tough line to walk. Things like increasing the resolution, frame rate, graphics options, and adding new content are antithetical to capturing the experience as it was. I can’t imagine playing any of these titles again at sub 1080p @ 30FPS, but a lot of the features I just mentioned are pretty well received. The gameplay loop for all the titles is “mostly” preserved. CE and H2 get screwed the most in this department for numerous reasons that range from frame rate or botched aspects.

Things like loading screens would be a pain in the -Yoink- to maintain across 7 different games. I’m fine with the unified UI, somethings it does well like the music cues when switching between the campaigns, and other things like the leaderboards and overall appearance are less than stellar.

The MCC is a collection and focusing on preserving the gameplay loop is more important than capturing the subtle details of legacy menus. If this is something that you really want, I think modders got you covered.
I appreciate the detailed response. Yeah I definitely understand that, I guess I'm just very ambitious in that way. The original Reach will eventually be emulatable on pc which will help its longevity even if only by a little. Yeah as crap as 720p at 30fps is with the motion blur, it doesn't bother me. I guess the hope for me personally is that eventually when bots become hyper convincing, perhaps there'll be a program were you could inject them as players into any game, that would make literally any old game with heavy multiplayer like new. I do think they should at least quickly throw the original Reach opening into the beginning of the campaign like they did with ODST. I also just heard a rumor that season 8 will be the last season, gotta look into it. Definitely disappointed, MCC just doesn't feel complete. The players asked for things like partying up and proximity chat. Idk