Skip to main content
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I'm tired of playing a game which matchmaking system straight up thinks that is fun to stomp or being stomped. I'm tired of playing a game in which my efforts to win are in vain. I'm tired of playing a game that doesn't let me decide by myself if I want to win or lose. I'm tired of playing a game that uses newbies as a tool to balance matches. I'm tired of playing a game that thinks that someone can go 1v4 against good players. I'm tired of playing Halo. The horrible matchmaking from 343 infuriates me. I just wanted to play Invasion, but I guess I won't.
It’s the same for a lot of us. Almost unplayable without a team. It’s a system built around making it as balanced as possible but this only benefits you if you have no idea how to play. Completely randomised teams would be a better system. This has received a lot of attention recently, I can see them making the appropriate changes at some point this year.
Recently, I've been sending out game invites after matches until I have another 1-3 players playing with me who seem like they know maps and weapon spawns.

I haven't run into anyone who just turns into a jabber mouth yet too, which has been nice.

Honestly the horrors of solo match making are one reason why I was hopeful a BR mode would happen. Solo BR is one of the most fun modes in a game when you don't have squad mates and are tired of getting party stomped.
Maybe if these pretend idler's/quitters would play instead of being petty, then there could be at least decent gameplay.
Playing OG Reach & 3 over the years. This wasn't a problem ONCE.

With my limited servers of NA and Europe, i hardly find anymore matches in CE's Action Sack. I'm not going to add the other servers because i don't want to play in lag.

343 just needs to overhaul the system and make it more fun based on community input.
I truly believe there is not much 343 can do. I feel the player population is just too low for a robust matchmaking system to work. Only the very few, die hard Halo fans are still playing MCC. I'm just happy I can still play these games, after all these years.
I stopped playing PvP as of about a week ago because of this. It’s infuriating to constantly be stuck on teams with useless players. The only workaround is to play on a full team. To me, that’s incredibly stupid. I can hop on 360 Halo 4 right now and have a blast playing Heavies match after match because the matchmaking algorithm works so much better. The population argument doesn’t work for MCC considering 360 H4 doesn’t see any more than like 150 players for a given playlist. There’s no excuse for this.

It’s sad to say, but MCC is in a way as bad as it was before the big updates began in 2018. It was a good two years, but I really don’t think PvP will see a resurgence anytime soon. Punishing good players is not a sound strategy and that’s exactly what 343i seems to follow. It’s clear they have no intentions of seriously taking any criticism into consideration either and instead double down on strategies that piss people off.

Firefight works fine though.
I agree with Floyd... The population is just to low to really do anything. I am glad I enjoy ffa the most in halo. The only real frustrating part is it can be difficult to get games in H2A. Non peak times I have to search all titles all game types to get decent match making times. MCC is still fun for me but I am not worried about winning all the time or anything. I enjoying knocking out the challenges as well.
tuhin94 wrote:
Punishing good players is not a sound strategy and that’s exactly what 343i seems to follow. It’s clear they have no intentions of seriously taking any criticism into consideration either and instead double down on strategies that piss people off.
This is one of the truest things I’ve read on this forum.. They’ve catered to really bad players in a desperate attempt to keep new players around which has closed the skill gap. While they have done this, it’s pushed away so many from Halo that took time to learn and love playing Halo the classic way. Get stomped or get good. After 10 years of running Halo, they still don’t understand how multiplayer should run and criticism is mistaken for toxic behaviour and hate towards them.
Swade wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Punishing good players is not a sound strategy and that’s exactly what 343i seems to follow. It’s clear they have no intentions of seriously taking any criticism into consideration either and instead double down on strategies that piss people off.
This is one of the truest things I’ve read on this forum.. They’ve catered to really bad players in a desperate attempt to keep new players around which has closed the skill gap. While they have done this, it’s pushed away so many from Halo that took time to learn and love playing Halo the classic way. Get stomped or get good. After 10 years of running Halo, they still don’t understand how multiplayer should run and criticism is mistaken for toxic behaviour and hate towards them.
Agreed. H2 and H3 didn’t become the blockbuster successes they were because they catered to any particular crowd. Rather, they both were the epitome of “easy to learn, hard to master.” Everyone was on the same playing field and you got better by playing the game. Now, all the trolls who don’t give a crap about Halo get paired with longtime players. They immediately quit, idle the whole match, or go -15. I truly do not recall this ever being a problem in the past. All this just so that 343i can claim their player numbers are high, while giving players an unsatisfying experience. 343i does many good things, but then undermines their own accomplishments with stupid stuff like this. I thought they had changed with MCC 2.0, but that same philosophy has remained true for a decade now and it’s not going to change.
LethalQ wrote:
I agree with Floyd... The population is just to low to really do anything. I am glad I enjoy ffa the most in halo. The only real frustrating part is it can be difficult to get games in H2A. Non peak times I have to search all titles all game types to get decent match making times. MCC is still fun for me but I am not worried about winning all the time or anything. I enjoying knocking out the challenges as well.
I understand that low population affects the experience. It's just that most matches feel like I can't do anything to win, I am being relied way too much to the point trying to win is stressing, or they straight up decide to pity me and give and absurdly easy win. I'm okay with losing, but I'm not okay with one-sided stressing matches. I want to play Halo, but it's just too stressing for me.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I've pretty much stopped solo queuing in social all together on my main account because of the unbalanced matchmaking system, 343s math doesn't work. 1 Good player and 3 New players VS 4 Average/Above average players doesn't add up, Halo is a team game and when most of the games are lopsided teams the experience becomes unenjoyable.
Blame Josh Menke, his ideas and beliefs as a non-Halo player have destroyed the MCC matchmaking experience. No one enjoys playing anymore, whether it's ranked or social, whether you're a noob or a veteran; the system screws over everyone involved.
You know that Josh has nothing to do with MCC, right? He works on Halo 5 and Infinite.
tuhin94 wrote:
Firefight works fine though.
Too bad Reachs ff is a soulless shell of what it was. I uninstalled mcc right after buying and playing odst ff, so I can't really comment on that.
Don't think 343 cares as long as they get your dough. These games are old and no one wants to play them, so please dont play any team game solo, trust me, you'll regret it.
Every suggestion I've made on this board has been ignored or locked.
This is the official message board, but devs only interact on Twitter or Reddit. All posts are a waste of time here.
I have certainly had my fair share of lopsided matches, for and against, but I have also had a considerable amount of matches go down to the final kill. When you backdrop that against any other console FPS, I dont know if you would find much of a difference in experience.

I play primarily big team, and for the most part both teams seem to always have a scrub or two at the bottom of the roster. The low population also doesnt help, as having a more diverse ranked playlist would be a good way to mitigate these problems.
Yeh pretty much it's why I kind of stopped playing Invasion. Either people cheat by spawn trapping on maps like the Spire so nobody can do anything or ignore support vehicles then act surprised when we get over-run. I feel like Reach Invasion goes either 'easy/moderate quick win' or 'spawn-trapping'.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
LethalQ wrote:
Ok, this is the constant cop out I hear on a regular basis when someone suggests to fix the matchmaking. But where is the numbers showing this "low population". Everything I can see shows the game has a decent enough population to have a working system. There are games that do worse that still have a functional balanced matchmaking experience.

Keeping the system is losing players, having a good system will increase players.

Edit: And just because I know someone will say "well how do you know?" Here you go, it is the 31st most played game on all of Xbox.
Yes, indeed.
I loose most of the games I play, especially when facing coordinated teams that ram through match after match.
The balance just becomes a trainwreck where randomized teams consisting of players ranging from newbies to average and veterans are huddled together against someone skilled and established with communication.
These scenarios are so common that people can recognize these teams and will drop / quit the game like it was some evacuation - drill.

Matchmaking discourages alot of players tired of this and this is perhaps even more threatening to the low population level already active rather than choosing not to create a better and more balanced system for it.
Anything that improves the overall experience and smooths the balance will up the morale and could be good for gaining the attention of more players.
LethalQ wrote:
Ok, this is the constant cop out I hear on a regular basis when someone suggests to fix the matchmaking. But where is the numbers showing this "low population". Everything I can see shows the game has a decent enough population to have a working system. There are games that do worse that still have a functional balanced matchmaking experience.

Keeping the system is losing players, having a good system will increase players.

Edit: And just because I know someone will say "well how do you know?" Here you go, it is the 31st most played game on all of Xbox.
I too don't buy into the low population reason either.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3