Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

[Locked] MCC Multiplayer Feedback - August 2019

OP Postums

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
Important playlist alterations:

CROSS SIZE SEARCHING -
While the match composer is an absolutely amazing feature and idea, it is missing a critical piece: cross SIZE searching. We can search multiple halos, but we can't search multiple game sizes. This feature is essential if all playlists want to receive traffic. For example, users wanting to play 1v1 will be sorely disappointed because everyone is searching in 4v4. So what will that 1v1 user do? He/she will go and search 4v4 and quit searching in the 1v1 playlist.

However, cross size searching will allow for each playlist to maintain some traffic. Instead of having to wait forever for people to join into the 1v1 playlist (that you conceivably want to play), you select 4v4 and 1v1, then when some people populate the 1v1 playlist, you will be able to find a game. This is essential for the survival and health of playlists like 1v1, FFA, and I'm sure a few others.

HALO CE 1V1 SETTINGS -
The current settings for Halo CE 1v1 are simply incorrect. Without diving into why/how this happened, let me say that I understand that there is not a "no heavies" option in 1v1. Thankfully, a fine 1v1 playlist can still be made in the absence of no heavies.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE PLAYLIST:Currently, 1v1 has three gametypes, none of which match any community accepted rule set, and none of which are suitable for 1v1 play. I think arguments have been made about the playlist being "casual" or something, but that is just not a good argument due to the nature of CE. The most glaring issue is obviously the existence of rockets on prisoner and derelict. Simply put, a casual player will never locate a stronger player once he has rockets/camo, and will often receive all 15 deaths all by rocket. That's legitimately not fun for anyone in a 1v1. So rockets, should not, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, be put in 1v1.Next issue: derelict is a poor choice for 1v1s. The map is a bit oversized, but more importantly, the spawn points on the map offer the chance for severe disadvantages. A player can spawn right by camo, or with a direct line to OS, while the other player spawns bottom shotguns and can legitimately do nothing about this. Starting with a free powerup on derelict is somewhat common, and is also a more devastating situation than say, someone with OS on wizard. Add to that that rockets exist, and the gametype is horrid.

Final issue: radar needs to be ON for wizard 1v1s. Removing radar from wizard makes the gametype more brutal, and also removes the critical aspect that makes the map interesting. Radar only works well for CE on a handful of gametypes, and this is easily the one it works the best on. Furthermore, in Halo 1s glory days, wizard 1v1 with radar on was the premier 1v1 gametype. At the end of MLG, it was the only 1v1 mode they had left.

RECOMMENDED SETTINGS:I will recommend three gametypes to you guys. Two you can immediately implement, and the third can be an optional compromise.

First: remove ALL current 1v1 gametypes.

Use this playlist:
1. Wizard WITH RADAR, 15 kills, pistol/AR start.
2. Longest NO RADAR, 15 kills, pistol/AR start.
3. (OPTIONAL) Prisoner NO RADAR, 15 kills, PISTOLS weapon set (no rockets).

The ideal settings for prisoner are just to remove rockets entirely, and play with a pistol/AR start. Since this is not an in-game option, tournament play used to forbid players from picking up rockets. The pistols weapon set will alter prisoner somewhat, but it should still preserve enough of the gametype to be acceptable. The biggest difference will be the absence of snipers (and plasma rifle is basically absent anyway). A wizard/longest only is still a fine playlist even in the absence of a correct prisoner.

I have been told that this year's Beach LAN will feature some high level 1v1 matches, so this is a fine time to correct this playlist.

EDIT:
I'd just like to also say that MLG only had three 1v1 modes for CE. They were wizard with radar, prisoner no radar - no rockets, and longest no radar. I think they felt that wizard was such a superior map for 1v1 play that they removed the other two. All three will make for a fine playlist.
I honestly think cross size searching would inevitably kill the playlist. If you want to 1v1 you are better off joining an sub-community catered to that. Especially since the playlist itself is already unranked.
Halo 3 Team slayer playlist

Around 1 of 10 games starts 3v4 because one player gets kicked during the loading screen.

I figuered out, that this issue occures more often, when I party up with someone who is not on my friendslist. When I party up, then I have a ~50% chance that my teammate gets kicked in the loading screen.

I really don’t know why, but I started writing down when and under which circumstances it happens and this is what came out:

1/10 games start 3v4 and 5/10 games do when I party up with random people. But only the first game after partying up. After reinviting the people they wont get kicked anymore. Only the first game has this 50/50 chance.

CROSS SIZE SEARCHING -
While the match composer is an absolutely amazing feature and idea, it is missing a critical piece: cross SIZE searching. We can search multiple halos, but we can't search multiple game sizes. This feature is essential if all playlists want to receive traffic. For example, users wanting to play 1v1 will be sorely disappointed because everyone is searching in 4v4. So what will that 1v1 user do? He/she will go and search 4v4 and quit searching in the 1v1 playlist.

However, cross size searching will allow for each playlist to maintain some traffic. Instead of having to wait forever for people to join into the 1v1 playlist (that you conceivably want to play), you select 4v4 and 1v1, then when some people populate the 1v1 playlist, you will be able to find a game. This is essential for the survival and health of playlists like 1v1, FFA, and I'm sure a few others.

HALO CE 1V1 SETTINGS -
The current settings for Halo CE 1v1 are simply incorrect. Without diving into why/how this happened, let me say that I understand that there is not a "no heavies" option in 1v1. Thankfully, a fine 1v1 playlist can still be made in the absence of no heavies.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE PLAYLIST:Currently, 1v1 has three gametypes, none of which match any community accepted rule set, and none of which are suitable for 1v1 play. I think arguments have been made about the playlist being "casual" or something, but that is just not a good argument due to the nature of CE. The most glaring issue is obviously the existence of rockets on prisoner and derelict. Simply put, a casual player will never locate a stronger player once he has rockets/camo, and will often receive all 15 deaths all by rocket. That's legitimately not fun for anyone in a 1v1. So rockets, should not, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, be put in 1v1.Next issue: derelict is a poor choice for 1v1s. The map is a bit oversized, but more importantly, the spawn points on the map offer the chance for severe disadvantages. A player can spawn right by camo, or with a direct line to OS, while the other player spawns bottom shotguns and can legitimately do nothing about this. Starting with a free powerup on derelict is somewhat common, and is also a more devastating situation than say, someone with OS on wizard. Add to that that rockets exist, and the gametype is horrid.

Final issue: radar needs to be ON for wizard 1v1s. Removing radar from wizard makes the gametype more brutal, and also removes the critical aspect that makes the map interesting. Radar only works well for CE on a handful of gametypes, and this is easily the one it works the best on. Furthermore, in Halo 1s glory days, wizard 1v1 with radar on was the premier 1v1 gametype. At the end of MLG, it was the only 1v1 mode they had left.

RECOMMENDED SETTINGS:I will recommend three gametypes to you guys. Two you can immediately implement, and the third can be an optional compromise.

Use this playlist:

The ideal settings for prisoner are just to remove rockets entirely, and play with a pistol/AR start. Since this is not an in-game option, tournament play used to forbid players from picking up rockets. The pistols weapon set will alter prisoner somewhat, but it should still preserve enough of the gametype to be acceptable. The biggest difference will be the absence of snipers (and plasma rifle is basically absent anyway). A wizard/longest only is still a fine playlist even in the absence of a correct prisoner.

I have been told that this year's Beach LAN will feature some high level 1v1 matches, so this is a fine time to correct this playlist.

EDIT:
I'd just like to also say that MLG only had three 1v1 modes for CE. They were wizard with radar, prisoner no radar - no rockets, and longest no radar. I think they felt that wizard was such a superior map for 1v1 play that they removed the other two. All three will make for a fine playlist.
I honestly think cross size searching would inevitably kill the playlist. If you want to 1v1 you are better off joining an sub-community catered to that. Especially since the playlist itself is already unranked.
Currently 1v1 gets no traffic in CE (partially due to the selection of gametypes in it). But even players of a low-population playlist aren't going to search in that playlist. The reason is because it takes too long to get games. As a result, the low population in the playlist gets even lower, even though there are actually people who would love to play it. I'd be interested to hear your logic.

CROSS SIZE SEARCHING -

HALO CE 1V1 SETTINGS -

Use this playlist:

EDIT:
Currently 1v1 gets no traffic in CE (partially due to the selection of gametypes in it). But even players of a low-population playlist aren't going to search in that playlist. The reason is because it takes too long to get games. As a result, the low population in the playlist gets even lower, even though there are actually people who would love to play it. I'd be interested to hear your logic.
I don't know the weighting to playlists but when selecting unpopular game modes with more popular games modes filtered together the latter results in the matchmaking creating games out of the popular searches which would result in just no games in your selected game. We don't know the population sizes for each individual game itself but whenever I search with H2, H3, H4 I will always get more H3 games then the other games.

Ideally if a playlist is dead and theirs support for it I really think the better option is to find likeminded players to create a community around then actually make the attempt to cross search. When you search is the playlist completely dead or the games just take very long to find? If anything its a product of putting so many games together.
This has been an issue for awhile, Game Chat barely works in custom games. I've tested it countless times, and 9 times out of 10 it simply doesn't work. And it's not just me, the people I play with have experienced the same issues. It's annoying to have to make separate parties just to separate the team chats. Please look into fixing this.
Mordo3777 wrote:
This has been an issue for awhile, Game Chat barely works in custom games. I've tested it countless times, and 9 times out of 10 it simply doesn't work. And it's not just me, the people I play with have experienced the same issues. It's annoying to have to make separate parties just to separate the team chats. Please look into fixing this.
Is that game specific? I hear people all the time in H3 customs, but I don't think I do in H2A. Although its been a very long time.
I don't know how long this has been a thing since I only quit games once in a blue moon even if we're getting destroyed, but recently I have been getting annoyed at how bad I've been playing (and that's completely my fault not the game) and so I've been quitting a few (the games I quit have been at max 1 in 30) and getting banned after quitting once only makes me more annoyed. Getting banned for quitting should be a thing but not after ONE game. You should only be banned for a short while after quitting like 4-5 games in a row.
Please add a volume mixer to Halo MCC. The game is way to loud. And there isn’t any way to turn the volume down. When I’m playing with friends I have to mute the game just to be able to hear and talk to them.

Halo 5 has a volume mixer why doesn’t Halo MCC?
I don't know how long this has been a thing since I only quit games once in a blue moon even if we're getting destroyed, but recently I have been getting annoyed at how bad I've been playing (and that's completely my fault not the game) and so I've been quitting a few (the games I quit have been at max 1 in 30) and getting banned after quitting once only makes me more annoyed. Getting banned for quitting should be a thing but not after ONE game. You should only be banned for a short while after quitting like 4-5 games in a row.
Same, it is very annoying to be banned only for get out of a game. One time I was playing 4v4 and all the members of my team got out, so the match became a 1v4, that was not fear, so I left the game and only for that I was banned, very unfair.
Please add a volume mixer to Halo MCC. The game is way to loud. And there isn’t any way to turn the volume down. When I’m playing with friends I have to mute the game just to be able to hear and talk to them.

You can adjust game audio vs chat audio in the Xbox One UI. It's hard for me to remember without looking, but I believe you'll find these settings if you press the home button (I think that's what it's called? It's the button in the middle of the controller that glows) and scroll all the way to the right. One of the options should be the game/chat audio mixer. You can do this on the fly while playing, or at any other time. I hope that helps.
jmandude15 wrote:

You can adjust game audio vs chat audio in the Xbox One UI. It's hard for me to remember without looking, but I believe you'll find these settings if you press the home button (I think that's what it's called? It's the button in the middle of the controller that glows) and scroll all the way to the right. One of the options should be the game/chat audio mixer. You can do this on the fly while playing, or at any other time. I hope that helps.
It would help if my mic plugged into my controller but the mic I have plugs into the Xbox it’s self so I don’t get the options you were talking about. Usually I just change the volume levels in the in game volume mixer but. Since Halo MCC is the only game of this console generation to not have a volume mixer I either have to blow my eardrums out with noise or play with no noise at all.
But I do appreciate you trying to help.
In response to Shawn (can't quote you for some reason)

Sorry, I'm having trouble following exactly what you mean here (I've reread a few times). Lets use my exact scenario: 1v1 CE (low traffic) and 4v4 CE (high traffic).

My issue is that I when I search 1v1 CE, I just wait too long to find a game. So what do I do? I go and play 4v4. A lot of the time, I'd rather play a 1v1, but I feel that its so hard to catch someone, that I don't even bother searching any more. As a result, the playlist just lost me, its target demographic, as a player.

Your argument: I don't want to mischaracterize it, so correct me if I'm wrong. You're saying that cross-searching will reduce the number of games available in the most popular categories? I think that may be a fair assessment, but I think that the games taken from these lists will be negligible.

Assuming that this is your argument: as a simple example, we can say we have 50 games of 4v4 CE going on (400 users). 25 of those users want to play 1v1 (~6%). Lets say about half of the 1v1 guys get thrown into a 1v1 game, and then the other half remain in 4v4. Well that's about 12 users lost from the 4v4 playlist, bringing the population down to 388. That makes the total games of 4v4 brought down from 50 to 48.

There are clearly more popular modes across halo, but the set up right now funnels everyone into these popular modes and encourages the user to abandon low population modes. 1v1 was never going to be a supremely popular mode to begin with, BUT there are people who would still love to play it. Cross size searching would allow for:

1. All users to get in every game mode they enjoy (currently, I can't get into 1v1 matches at a reasonable frequency, so I never search).

2. Low population playlists to remain active EVEN WITH their low population.

3. The true population that reflects the playlist to be active in it. Right now the population in 1v1 is lower than the true amount of people that want to play it (FFA is probably similar). Why search 1v1 and wait 15 mins for a game, when you can get one in 4v4 in 10 seconds? Therefore the entire 1v1 population is siphoned off to 4v4, or 8v8, whatever. So there may 50 dudes who want a 1v1 game online, and zero of them are searching cause they think they can't get a game.

4. Users who have refined their selections too much (ONLY searching ffa oddball H1, for example), will now have more options and will likely be picked up for more games than they were being picked up for before.

5. More people buying the game cause of more options.

CROSS SIZE SEARCHING -

HALO CE 1V1 SETTINGS -

Use this playlist:

EDIT:
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I have recently got back into the halo franchise after loving it as a child I’m unable to connect to mcc servers because of a “contacting server” issue which hasn’t been resolved for 7 months now and having payed good money to play this game which I’ve owned since day 1 release I find it poor that I’m unable to access any multiplayer modes, I have the same issue with halo 5 where I get an “error authorising user” issue, if anyone could shed some light on how to fix the problem please respond promptly as I would love to play these games again, thanks

Your loyal follower for many years - will - england
I am also able to play app campaigns on both games no restrictions there but I am totally unable to even boot up the multiplayer
  • Game: Halo CE
  • Problem: Sprees aren't tracked in the Postgame Carnage Menu, leaving everyone with a spree of "0". I obtained a killing spree during this match (no clip, but please take my word for it), but even if, shouldn't it still be at least "1" for anyone who earned a kill or more?
  • Repro steps: Play a CE game. If you're feeling extra ambitious, earn a killing spree.
  • Additional info: https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/iibloxorz/screenshot/12712981
I'm not sure if this issue has been posted in past feedback threads, but I only recently became aware of it.
  • MCC HALO GAME: Halo 3
  • ISSUE/FEEDBACK: There is a betrayal glitch on Narrows where players can effectively boot their teammates by making the game think they're getting betrayed by said teammates.
  • REPRO STEPS: Bump into a teammate and then jump onto the part of the bridge below the map. This will quickly kill you, and your death will count as a betrayal by the player you bumped into. There's a link to a video below that shows footage of the bug and does a much better job of explaining it than I can by typing.
  • ADDITIONAL INFO: Thanks to HeisenburgerTV for making a post about this issue here, and for making a video about it that can be found here. I don't know if this was present in legacy Halo 3 or not, but I'm guessing it probably wasn't if no one was having issues with it then.
NOTE: I'm posting this so 343 sees it and can fix this issue. This should go without saying, but to anyone else reading this, please do NOT attempt this bug in matchmaking. If you really want to see how this works for yourself, do it in a private custom game. Don't ruin someone else's matchmaking experience.
jmandude15 wrote:
I'm not sure if this issue has been posted in past feedback threads, but I only recently became aware of it.
  • MCC HALO GAME: Halo 3
  • ISSUE/FEEDBACK: There is a betrayal glitch on Narrows where players can effectively boot their teammates by making the game think they're getting betrayed by said teammates.
  • REPRO STEPS: Bump into a teammate and then jump onto the part of the bridge below the map. This will quickly kill you, and your death will count as a betrayal by the player you bumped into. There's a link to a video below that shows footage of the bug and does a much better job of explaining it than I can by typing.
  • ADDITIONAL INFO: Thanks to HeisenburgerTV for making a post about this issue here, and for making a video about it that can be found here. I don't know if this was present in legacy Halo 3 or not, but I'm guessing it probably wasn't if no one was having issues with it then.
I've never seen that before; the video explains it correctly and the glitch couldn't be more annoying. You just touch a teammate and jump off the bridge and it counts as a betrayal... this must be fixed as soon as possible or it's undoubtedly going to be abused (now even more due to the video).

Also try to fix Halo 2 Classic barriers, they get abused in gametypes like Oddball; people climb up Zanzibar, Sanctuary or even Warlock and they stay protected behind a rock or something at the top.
Any chance next update you can select as many servers as you want to find games?

Playing from Australia the only server we can get is West US and it takes forever to get a game (normally 5mins plus). I just want to be able to search on any server to get games as fast as possible. Watching US streamers get games in 10 seconds or less searching at the same time as me means there’s some restriction on matching. All the other Halo games have the option to turn on filters to restrict matchmaking parameters (connection/skill/language etc) but that was an option not a requirement. I would just like to be able to find games as quickly as possible since the population isn’t that great in the first place and I’m only able to match 1/3rd of the population at best.

Also the second I play with someone from NA and they are party leader I get games instantly, so there’s definitely some sort of restriction present.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11