Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

[Locked] MCC Multiplayer Feedback - January

OP Postums

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 21
  • MCC HALO GAME: All.
  • ISSUE/FEEDBACK: Players cannot leave unpenalized if the game starts off with half of a team, instead of players leaving mid-game.
  • ADDITIONAL INFO: Game occured at about 7:30 PM EST, H2C Team Ball BR. Our team started off with 2 people (left before they loaded in, so no names were greyed out). Left and was given a temporary ban.
Just three things to add to much of what has been said already...

1) Halo 2 background noise. I don't remember Halo 2 sounding so awful, but it sounds really bad in MCC. There's constant loud background noise in every map, and the sound balance is awful (gunshots sounding quieter than waterfalls, for example)

2) AR starts in Halo 3 slayer should not exist. You smartly got rid of SMG starts in Halo 2 and made it BR slayer always. This should be the same for Halo 3 social slayer as well.

3) More map variety in social lists please. With quit bans in place, there's no reason to weight the social playlists so heavily to the most popular maps. Put more variety in.
Please bring back quit penalties for quitting out of lone wolves, people quit too easily now because there is no penalty and I’ve ranked down twice now from placing 3rd because people quit toward the end of the match.
2) AR starts in Halo 3 slayer should not exist. You smartly got rid of SMG starts in Halo 2 and made it BR slayer always. This should be the same for Halo 3 social slayer as well.
This is probably a hugely unpopular opinion, but I feel like SMG/AR starts for H2/H3 Social games aren't too bad of a thing, and BR/SMG or BR/AR starts should be included in Ranked playlists. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it was back on Halo 2 and 3's original online playlists.
iiBloxorz wrote:
This is probably a hugely unpopular opinion, but I feel like SMG/AR starts for H2/H3 Social games aren't too bad of a thing, and BR/SMG or BR/AR starts should be included in Ranked playlists. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it was back on Halo 2 and 3's original online playlists.
OG Halo 3 Ranked Team Slayer was always BR starts. Bungie themselves admitted that SMG starts was a mistake and AR starts in Halo 3 are in the same vein.
Gaara00444 wrote:
iiBloxorz wrote:
OG Halo 3 Ranked Team Slayer was always BR starts. Bungie themselves admitted that SMG starts was a mistake and AR starts in Halo 3 are in the same vein.
Yup. AR starts in Halo 3 are way too snowball-y. If your team wins the opening bout and are even remotely competent at the game, you win by 30 points on almost all maps because you get set up with BRs and power weapons and the other team cannot fight off spawn because the AR is literally useless beyond about 10 meters. AR starts can work on a couple of smaller maps without feeling as atrocious, but on all the midrange maps - which are the majority of h3 maps - they shouldn't exist.

I got a perfection and our team won by about 40 on the Pit the other day, not because the other team was so much worse than us (combat in the opening minutes suggested they were at least competitive), but because it was AR starts, they couldn't fight off spawn, and we butchered them off spawn repeatedly for the whole game. They literally couldn't do anything. And that's a very typical AR starts experience in Halo 3. If it were BR starts it probably would have been no more lopsided than 50-35 and the other team might have had some fun.
Legitsky wrote:
Hello everyone, I hope you are all enjoying the New Year! Since the Fall 2018 update, the MCC has seen some pretty dramatic change. Change that was both measured, and positive. And with the coming of 2019, I personally believe the MCC should continue to gradually improve and build upon itself. Keeping that in mind, I have a few suggestions that I feel would not only continue to improve upon what the MCC already is, but that would also further diversify and layer the game.

1. Including EXP progression for all playlists. We’ve been asking for it for quite some time, and truthfully it’s been a long time coming. EXP progression not only adds a new element to the multiplayer experience, but it greatly improves upon the current model players are used to. Currently, players can opt to grind for a 50 in any ranked playlist. I personally have done it in the Halo 3 Arena playlist, having earned my 50 in the first 2 weeks of the September MCC update. I was elated to have been the very first players on the updated MCC to earn a 50 at the time, but seeing as I had already achieved the maximum rank, I felt no need to continue playing the aylist. If there were an EXP progression system, I would have felt far more inclined to grind Halo 3 Arena further. Instead, I got my 50 and took a long break from MCC. And that’s just my perspective, after playing one ranked playlist. EXP progression encourages all players to continue to play their favorite playlists, ranked or social. I know social playlists have been replaced by the Match Composer, but players earning exp for any social 2v2/4v4/8v8 etc under any settings would be an easy solution. Players having tangible evidence that they are progressing through ranks and earning their specific personal ranks is enough to make them want to play more games, and in turn play more often. In short, exp progression = players wanting to play and win more matches = players playing more often = a stronger and longer lasting population.

2. I would love to see more nameplates, particularly exclusive nameplates that any player can earn. The recent addition of more elaborate and exclusive nameplates has been a very welcome inclusion to the MCC, in my opinion. Therefore, I would love to see more and more being released for different reasons. Specifically, I would LOVE to see a nameplate given to players who have earned all 600/600 achievements on the MCC. I personally have completed this task, and have friends who have done the same. Having access to every regular nameplate is alright I suppose, but having a totally exclusive nameplate for those players who went the extra mile to earn every achievement seems like something well deserved. I can tell you, getting every achievement on MCC is NOT easy. And therefore should warrant a special nameplate being made for players who have done so.

3. More special/limited time playlists should be added. The recent addition of new playlists such as Ranked Halo 3 Lone Wolves and Halo 3 MLG 2v2 were brilliant. And the playlists were both highly populated and well received by the community. But why stop there? I think there should be more limited time playlists released. One I had in mind was Ranked Halo 3 Big Team Battle. Big Team has always been extremely popular, and on MCC BTB was (and still is) one of the most populated playlists on the game. Both retail and post update versions of MCC had huge populations in BTB. Ranked Halo 3 BTB would make the most sense as a playlist, since it would have the highest population due to Halo 3 BTB having the biggest turnout for numbers. Also, players have searched in large parties in BTB for many years, regardless of whether the playlist was social or ranked. Even currently, it is not uncommon for several parties of 5+ players to be searching BTB at any time of the day. Ranked BTB would allow players to link up with their friends and make large lobbies to battle it out for ranks, and it would satisfy an itch that the BTB community has needed fixed for quite some time. It would be a phenomenal playlist for bringing together big groups of players, due to the universal accessibility and popularity of BTB, for a special event style playlist. And honestly, I couldn’t think of a more diverse and epic ranked playlist for a limited release. It would appeal to all types of Halo players, and could be a huge success. Something worth giving thought to.

And that’s my list. I’d add more, but right now those are the 3 things I’d like to see added to the MCC most this year. I hope some, if not all, of my suggestions are at least considered!
Ranked btb could be a good idea. Reminds me of the old squad battle playlist from the original halo 3. Maybe 343 can leave btb in social and bring squad battle back for ranked
Gaara00444 wrote:
Is there any possibility of seeing a Ranked Team Slayer playlist for Halo 3? As stated in my previous post, I don't necessarily want to play Team Hardcore cause I'm terrible at Objective gametypes, and while I have been getting Team BRs significantly more often in Social Slayer since my rant, I would still prefer a Halo 3 slayer playlist with BR starts entirely.
I believe Halo 3 Team Arena is ranked team slayer
Does anyone know what exactly happened to territorries in Halo 3? I really don't wanna spam about this one particular thing, because I already brought it up in the December Thread, but I just wanna ask the other community members here: Am I just really unlucky, or has it just been removed?
I thought that I would just have to turn action sack on, but action sack just includes BTB Heavies (as far as I know)

Other than that: This match composer update really nailed it. I'm fascinated by the amount of players that are still active in the 4v4 CE Playlist. I live in europe and I almost never have problems in finding some games. I especially enjoy the Oddball-variant on Damnation (I forgot the name for this specific oddball variant, maybe one of you knows how it's called?). Hard to believe that I always had to go through that awful crossplay playlist for such a long time before the match composer was finally introduced.
Gaara00444 wrote:
iiBloxorz wrote:
Yup. AR starts in Halo 3 are way too snowball-y. If your team wins the opening bout and are even remotely competent at the game, you win by 30 points on almost all maps because you get set up with BRs and power weapons and the other team cannot fight off spawn because the AR is literally useless beyond about 10 meters. AR starts can work on a couple of smaller maps without feeling as atrocious, but on all the midrange maps - which are the majority of h3 maps - they shouldn't exist.
I got a perfection and our team won by about 40 on the Pit the other day, not because the other team was so much worse than us (combat in the opening minutes suggested they were at least competitive), but because it was AR starts, they couldn't fight off spawn, and we butchered them off spawn repeatedly for the whole game. They literally couldn't do anything. And that's a very typical AR starts experience in Halo 3. If it were BR starts it probably would have been no more lopsided than 50-35 and the other team might have had some fun.
i've been saying this for a while now, along with many others. Still waiting on something to be done about it. AR starts are atrocious on 9/10 maps. weighting feels like 80% or more AR start on H3 social.
Gaara00444 wrote:
iiBloxorz wrote:
That's completely false. I've played the OG H3 Team Slayer playlist and it featured AR starts sometimes, but mainly in Social.

In addition to that, I'm tired of these changes thst only benefit the majority of people, who want BR starts (I'm even up for it, except in Halo 2). If that's the case, then it should be heavily increased, but it should never be 100% one side or another. As currently it seems that AR starts is at 100%, that must be corrected, aswell as 100% BR starts in Halo 2. But don't completely remove it, that's unfair, players have different opinions and they're as valid as yours.

With that said, I suggest to make BR starts and AR starts 70% and 30%, respectively.
Gaara00444 wrote:
iiBloxorz wrote:
That's completely false. I've played the OG H3 Team Slayer playlist and it featured AR starts sometimes, but mainly in Social.

In addition to that, I'm tired of these changes thst only benefit the majority of people, who want BR starts (I'm even up for it, except in Halo 2). If that's the case, then it should be heavily increased, but it should never be 100% one side or another. As currently it seems that AR starts is at 100%, that must be corrected, aswell as 100% BR starts in Halo 2. But don't completely remove it, that's unfair, players have different opinions and they're as valid as yours.

With that said, I suggest to make BR starts and AR starts 70% and 30%, respectively.
70/30 seems like a pretty good balance to me. Some enjoy AR starts. Don’t completely eliminate it, just shift it a bit. It’s nonstop ARs at the moment for me
Gaara00444 wrote:
iiBloxorz wrote:

70/30 seems like a pretty good balance to me. Some enjoy AR starts. Don’t completely eliminate it, just shift it a bit. It’s nonstop ARs at the moment for me
We can easily look at balancing it a bit differently. I can have the team review the weighting and see about making some adjustments.
  • MCC HALO GAME: Halo: Combat Evolved
  • ISSUE/FEEDBACK: The plasma pistol makes the charged up sound even while not being charged.
  • REPRO STEPS: It's easily reproducible but I don't know what exactly causes it. Just try shooting it rapidly then stop shooting.
  • ADDITIONAL INFO: Bug is also present in campaign. Video of bug here: https://youtu.be/RMsvy0HyuxM?t=16
Holy balls please reduce the weight for Warlock in Team H2C
Kill Bowls wrote:
Legitsky wrote:
Hello everyone, I hope you are all enjoying the New Year! Since the Fall 2018 update, the MCC has seen some pretty dramatic change. Change that was both measured, and positive. And with the coming of 2019, I personally believe the MCC should continue to gradually improve and build upon itself. Keeping that in mind, I have a few suggestions that I feel would not only continue to improve upon what the MCC already is, but that would also further diversify and layer the game.

1. Including EXP progression for all playlists. We’ve been asking for it for quite some time, and truthfully it’s been a long time coming. EXP progression not only adds a new element to the multiplayer experience, but it greatly improves upon the current model players are used to. Currently, players can opt to grind for a 50 in any ranked playlist. I personally have done it in the Halo 3 Arena playlist, having earned my 50 in the first 2 weeks of the September MCC update. I was elated to have been the very first players on the updated MCC to earn a 50 at the time, but seeing as I had already achieved the maximum rank, I felt no need to continue playing the aylist. If there were an EXP progression system, I would have felt far more inclined to grind Halo 3 Arena further. Instead, I got my 50 and took a long break from MCC. And that’s just my perspective, after playing one ranked playlist. EXP progression encourages all players to continue to play their favorite playlists, ranked or social. I know social playlists have been replaced by the Match Composer, but players earning exp for any social 2v2/4v4/8v8 etc under any settings would be an easy solution. Players having tangible evidence that they are progressing through ranks and earning their specific personal ranks is enough to make them want to play more games, and in turn play more often. In short, exp progression = players wanting to play and win more matches = players playing more often = a stronger and longer lasting population.

2. I would love to see more nameplates, particularly exclusive nameplates that any player can earn. The recent addition of more elaborate and exclusive nameplates has been a very welcome inclusion to the MCC, in my opinion. Therefore, I would love to see more and more being released for different reasons. Specifically, I would LOVE to see a nameplate given to players who have earned all 600/600 achievements on the MCC. I personally have completed this task, and have friends who have done the same. Having access to every regular nameplate is alright I suppose, but having a totally exclusive nameplate for those players who went the extra mile to earn every achievement seems like something well deserved. I can tell you, getting every achievement on MCC is NOT easy. And therefore should warrant a special nameplate being made for players who have done so.

3. More special/limited time playlists should be added. The recent addition of new playlists such as Ranked Halo 3 Lone Wolves and Halo 3 MLG 2v2 were brilliant. And the playlists were both highly populated and well received by the community. But why stop there? I think there should be more limited time playlists released. One I had in mind was Ranked Halo 3 Big Team Battle. Big Team has always been extremely popular, and on MCC BTB was (and still is) one of the most populated playlists on the game. Both retail and post update versions of MCC had huge populations in BTB. Ranked Halo 3 BTB would make the most sense as a playlist, since it would have the highest population due to Halo 3 BTB having the biggest turnout for numbers. Also, players have searched in large parties in BTB for many years, regardless of whether the playlist was social or ranked. Even currently, it is not uncommon for several parties of 5+ players to be searching BTB at any time of the day. Ranked BTB would allow players to link up with their friends and make large lobbies to battle it out for ranks, and it would satisfy an itch that the BTB community has needed fixed for quite some time. It would be a phenomenal playlist for bringing together big groups of players, due to the universal accessibility and popularity of BTB, for a special event style playlist. And honestly, I couldn’t think of a more diverse and epic ranked playlist for a limited release. It would appeal to all types of Halo players, and could be a huge success. Something worth giving thought to.

And that’s my list. I’d add more, but right now those are the 3 things I’d like to see added to the MCC most this year. I hope some, if not all, of my suggestions are at least considered!
Ranked btb could be a good idea. Reminds me of the old squad battle playlist from the original halo 3. Maybe 343 can leave btb in social and bring squad battle back for ranked
Definitely, brother. Squad Battle could be a great solution as you stated, because the playlist requires only a maximum 12 players to make a match. I would be happy with either option, personally.
Postums wrote:
Gaara00444 wrote:
iiBloxorz wrote:

We can easily look at balancing it a bit differently. I can have the team review the weighting and see about making some adjustments.
This is awesome! Thank you!
Thanks for being diligent. I've listed some suggestions and issues below, mostly related to UI and workflows. I'll gladly attach videos upon request for any of the relevant suggestions below. Feel free to DM me for further information as well.

1. Voice chat is enabled for matched players before a game begins, but there is no ability to mute said players. Either please disable voice-chat until the game begins or enable muting during this period.
2. The 1v1 variant includes the Onslaught map, which is a team-oriented map that uses team-oriented spawns. Given this, players can anticipate the base spawns and break the balance of the game by shooting before the player as they spawn into the game. Please remove that map from the rotation given the weakness of its spawn placements.
3. Action Sack is tons of fun, god bless. Maybe add in some fiesta variants too, please?
4. Why create an "idle" state for players in matchmaking lobbies without a UI element/alert to make it clear that they're idle?
5. Thanks for putting in big team heavy variants!
6. Please remove all of the flood-themed imagery... the initial loading screen is just... is just an overlay on the pre-existing one... and the menu screen is pretty bad, too. Even though the flood are an integral part of the Halo universe, looking at flood goop doesn't evoke the right feelings. Have a marketing-minded person choose these photos. A menu for a game should sell the fun that the player is about to have, and showing off the thing that Halo players often gripe about (don't get me started on ANY of the flood-focused campaign missions: the library, cortana, etc), is neither good for the returning veteran nor the excited newcomer. Have a slideshow of campaign highlights and action-packed multiplayer screenshots. Replace the boring, sleep-inducing background music with something upbeat as well. There's plenty of examples, and you can cycle through them if you're feeling frisky. (One Final Effort: H3, Delta Halo Suite: H2, Covenant Dance: H1.) I also don't understand why certain UI states during matchmaking alter the volume levels of the background music. Just fade it out before the map loading happens?
7. Using the bumpers to switch between players in the post-game carnage report will of course prompt for a data-refresh for the game stats, but time and time again, the current highest rank fails to update for that player. I've noticed progress in this area: it used to be broken entirely and would only show a loading spinner, but the system still consistently fails, usually showing a different player's highest rank.
8. I'd love to know how I've unlocked certain player ID items. The unlock instructions are available for locked items, but not every item is listed. For example, the beamish and mister chief avatars are hidden and their unlock tip is not visible. I have friends that have these but they sadly cannot tell me how they're unlocked. I can of course use google, and I have, but I find it rather frustrating (and anticipate the same from new players) that the unlock tip goes away once the item has been unlocked.
9. The multiplayer menu screen has scroll sound effects for left and right movement even though vertical movement is only available. There's also still the bug where you can equip emblems that you've not unlocked by just hovering over the emblem and waiting for a matchmaking match to begin, thereby kicking out of the menus. I've been using emblems I've never unlocked literally for years now.
10. Scroll sound effects do not work with the Play button in the social games composer. Entering or leaving the play button does not provide sounds, and entering the games included area from the game size toggle does not include the scroll sound effect either, thereby creating a bit of dissonance when the user is operating the menu.
11. I'm going to gripe about some of the UI screenshot imagery. It's a bit nit-picky, but alas, it is something that doesn't really make sense. So: why does the H3 Team Arena playlist image feature a spartan with non-team colors holding a spartan laser on Assembly, a map that does not feature a spartan laser? Please choose an image that is actually from team arena...
12. Please try to list the map name on the map loading screen for maps that have varied variants, aka Foundry and Sandbox.
13. The H3 Hardcore team doubles also features a spartan with a sword on Narrows. There's no sword on Narrows, fam.
14. While we're being sticklers you might as well change the image for the HCE Team doubles to show a blue or red Spartan.
15. The H3 Lone Wolves playlist image is on Longshore, which isn't even a map in that playlist's rotation.
16. The multiplayer menu (where social, competitive, custom, etc options are list) has a social games image from what looks like Halo 4 Spartan Ops or Halo 4 campaign cut scene? Pretty sure that's not a social game.
17. Likewise, the competitive games image on that same menu shows Halo 4, which isn't (currently) an available game in any of the competitive playlists. (lol, and let's keep it that way.) All I'm asking if for the images for these UI elements to actually correspond to the label. It's almost like the people designing the UI haven't even played the games. Also worth mentioning that the text "Join thousands of other Spartans ..." for the social and competitive games options says "spanning all Halo games" which is, uh, which isn't correct. Similar phrasing is also used elsewhere.
18. When a teammate quits the game that is not part of your party you should not be penalized for also quitting the game. This is implemented in ranked rocket league, btw.
19. Matchmaking "top medals" shouldn't choose medals based on how many you have of that medal, it should show your "best" medals, like overkills, perfections, running riots, flag caps, etc. Seeing everyone top medals, aka headshots and beatdowns is repetitive and uninteresting. As for how to implement this, instead of hard-coding a value-based system to compare medal "quality", how about you just run a script that computes the rarity of the medal based on total player matchmaking statistics?
20. Add some of the lesser-known gametypes at some point like VIP, or juggernaut.
21. Lone wolves seems to feature a disproportionate amount of king of the hill. Check some logs to determine if this is true.
22. If you are not the party leader in matchmaking and your host returns your party to the lobby, you cannot view the post game carnage report until you queue up for another game. This does not happen for the party leader.
Legitsky wrote:

I love it man, I have wanted to see a ranked BTB playlist since the old squad battle days. agreed 100%
Legitsky wrote:
This man knows what hes talking about.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 21