Is this Multiplayer Feedback section intended for us to pass on our thoughts regarding the playlist offerings or will-there-be/is-there a separate thread for that particular feedback?
Anyways, since I assume this is the appropriate location here are my thoughts...
Wanting to provide individual title playlists is definitely a good thing, but at some point it may run counter-intuitive to what's in the best interest to the available population. So might I suggest that as you keep an eye on the health of the playlists for the initial offering (come Sept. 1st) don't forget to consider what future consolidation might be necessary. Here's one such possibility that I'd fully recommend:
Core "ranked" Playlists:
Social "unranked" Playlists:
- HCE Team Arena: Pistol/AR Loadout (exception: Sniper/Pistol)
- H2C Team Arena: BR/SMG Loadout (exception: Sniper/Pistol)
- H2A Team Arena: BR/AR Loadout (exception: Sniper/Pistol)
- H3 Team Arena: BR/AR Loadout (exception: Sniper/Pistol)
- H4 Team Arena: No Loadout Selections (defaulted to only BR/AR except for Sniper/Pistol)
- Hardcore Cross-Play (H2C, H2A, & H3): No Radar, No Autos, + Any [MLG/HCS] Setting Changes
- SWAT Cross-Play (H2C, H2A, H3, & H4): No Radar + No Shields
Implement a Limited JiP; exceptions: Doubles & FFA
- BTB Rotational (HCE, H2C/H2A, H3, or H4): Rotates weekly between titles
- Slayer Rotational (HCE, H2C/H2A, H3, & H4): Rotates weekly between titles
- Doubles Rotational (HCE, H2C/H2A, H3, or H4): Rotates weekly between titles
- FFA Rotational (HCE, H2C/H2A, H3, or H4): Rotates weekly between titles
- Infection Cross-Play (H2A, H3, & H4)
Featured "unranked" Playlists:
- Featured Rotational 1: Rotates bi-weekly with Rotational 2
- Featured Rotational 2: Rotates bi-weekly with Rotational 1
Available for 2 weeks before rotating
- Action Sack Cross-Play (H2C, H2A, H3, & H4)
- Shotty Snips Cross-Play (HCE, H2C, H2A, H3, & H4)
- Multi-Team Cross-Play (H2C, H2A, H3, & H4) < can it be rolled into Action Sack?
- Triple Team Cross-Play (H2A, H3, & H4)
- Juggernaut Cross-Play (H2C, H2A, H3) < can it be rolled into Action Sack?
- Grifball Cross-Play (H2A, H3, or H4)
- Community Arena Cross-Play (H2A, H3, & H4)
This method would in several ways maintain many individual title playlists while also allowing the SWAT and Infection modes, which I'd argue should not be seen as mere "niche" modes, to be regularly available too while maintaining a total playlists count of 14. In other words, those two playlists would be treated like the expected franchise offerings that they've become. In fact, since those particular modes tend to attract a strong and passionate following it makes sense to ensure their permanent availability in order to help maintain overall MCC interest.
I remain concerned that splitting the initial BTB offerings into two playlists will only serve to fracture the available player base who are more orientated to participate in big team matches. This could, in effect, harm the quality of the BTB matchmaking experience within the MCC by diluting the potential player base in either option. The nice part of the BTB, Slayer, Doubles, and FFA rotations that I've recommended [above] is that each game title will be given a week before rotating out. This way a schedule is created in which players know when their preferred titles are available for those particular playlists, but at the same time if they simply desire the themed experience (even when their preferred title isn't available) the matchmaker would be channeling the population into one option in order to ensure it can provide that themed playlist the best experience possible.
343i could elect to rotate the titles in such a way that each general game will have one of the particular [themed] playlists each week or they could choose to rotate all of them together under one specific title which would, in essence, create a week where a certain game is effectively “featured”. Personally, I think ensuring that each title will have one particular playlist available per week would be better, but that's just me. Anyways, I imagine this would work best to serve a wide variety of community preferences and it would complement the eventual Custom Browser well too.