Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

MCC Request for Better Aiming controls + Options

OP Eternal Dahaka

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Hello everyone. I've heard the MCC was getting some large updates and I'd like to toss in my feedback for the aiming. I know there's a stickied topic with the wishlists for the update, but this is too much info to push into a few comments. All of this might be too much to ask for even if 343 was made aware of it, but I feel this would be a huge improvement to all the Halo games.

I made a reddit post a while back displaying all the deadzones of the core Halo series, which you can see here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/5lix51/controller_deadzones_of_the_halo_series/ (only MCC graphs linked below),
but as you might see from those, there are quite a few issues that become hugely obvious when looking at the graphs. None of the deadzones are circular, all of them are large(20+%), large regions of the stick don't register diagonal movement, and the acceleration jump is very poorly normalized in the original trilogy so you have radically less range of motion in the diagonal regions than you do for the cardinals. These aren't good things for smooth aiming, and many of these mechanical flaws become extremely obvious when using the Eyepatch Skulls in the Anniversary titles.

Deadzones:
  • Halo CE MCC: https://imgur.com/0uObiRR
  • Halo 2 MCC: https://imgur.com/V1rqfiy
  • Halo 3 MCC: https://imgur.com/c3fpZVC
  • Halo 4: MCC: https://imgur.com/1emxrvG
  • Halo 5: https://imgur.com/eqovKtS
While Halo 5 added some options, the inner deadzone options were incorrect(only controls the circular portion-which the values were correct for relative to the remaining range) and the Turn Acceleration only controlled the 'rate' of increase, not the multiplier itself, so it'd be good to see those fixed if implemented.

Now before I get into all the changes, it'd be important to be able to keep the current controls in case players prefer that, but it would be awesome to have a toggle to see the aiming given more options and the aim mechanics improved, ideally with universal settings between all the games. This probably would need to be a separate page(a 'remastered' aiming tab), since separating sensitivity and turn acceleration might cause some confusion.

Also, most of what I'm requesting is already present in Titanfall 2, so for those familiar with how those feel, that's largely the result these requests would achieve. TF|2's options can be seen here:
https://imgur.com/ZD7SiBx
The extent of the requested options aren't the same though, and the only real difference will be a second inner deadzone(square and circle) to preserve and customize Halo's square/ish deadzones to the player's preference.

*****Changes*****
Mechanic changes
  • Perfectly normalized acceleration. This would be important for the classic titles. The acceleration and outer deadzone should occur at the same distance from the deadzone. This would remove the inward spike seen in the graphs and compareable to Reach+ deadzones, and also make diagonal acceleration feel consistent to the cardinal movement.
Option changes
  • X and Y sensitivities: This is important for a few reasons. Halo seems to have lower Y sensitivity than X, which is common in many games, but this can feel unnatural for some players. One of the main issues different axis sensitivities can also cause is make diagonal movement incorrect, with bias towards the more sensitivite axis. This can be preferred for players, but being able to set them equal would allow us to get correct diagonal movement.
  • Increased sensitivity cap: If you look at the sensitvity *without* passing the turn acceleration threshold you'll notice the general sensitivity is quite low even when the cap is maxed. This should be increased so the general sensitivity cap can be a fast as the current max turn rate with acceleration. It'd be important with the next option. If the value range was kept the same for the normal sensitivity(10 Insane), this should be bumped to 20+.
  • Turn Acceleration Multiplier: This option would control the intensity of the turn acceleration. The range of this slider would go from 1(to disable) at least to the default turn acceleration in the classics(something like ~2x multiplier), with the default being what it is normally.
Separating sensitivity and acceleration allows you to potentially remove turn acceleration and just play with a high sensitivity(much like CoD does), or play with a low sensitivity with a high acceleration(much like Halo) or any combination in between.
  • Turn Acceleration Time: This was an option in Halo 5, and equates to the Extra Turning Ramp Up time in Titanfall 2. This controls how fast the turn acceleration takes to cap. Using Halo 5's version, the lower the value the longer it takes to cap. The increments should be smaller than 5 for more customization, at least a range of 1 to 10, which should help bypass complaints 5 got on that basis.
  • Square and Circle deadzone size: Having both would cater to all preferences, and the actual setup is pretty easy(you just build a circle deadzone on top of a square one, something Halo 5 is likely doing). If you wanted something like the OG classic Halo deadzones, you could set the square to ~27%, and the Circle to 0%. If you wanted something akin to CoD's you could set Square to 0% and Circle to 20%. For deadzones similar to Reach - 5 you could mix the sizes. This would offer players tons of control over their preferred deadzone shape and size. Range for each option (0% to 25%).
  • Outer Deadzone: This option is in Halo 5. Controls when the game considers the stick fully pressed and acts as the threshold when turn acceleration activates.
  • Acceleration curve: This option would control the intensity of the acceleration curve. This option is present in Titanfall 2 as the Response curve and in Overwatch as Aim Ease(using Linear Ramp) which controls the degree of a power function. What this would broadly do is increase or decrease the precision of the curve based on the value. With this, you could easily play at higher sensitivities with increased levels of this option, or lower this option at lower sensitivities so acceleration doesn't feel as slow. If it used a power curve, the option for the degree could range from 1 to 3, so linear to cubic(the range Titanfall 2 seems to use). Increments would ideally be in tenths from 1.0 to 3.0 in that case.
I've made a graph that visually shows how the deadzone and acceleration curve options would look.
(https://www.desmos.com/calculator/pftotjipaa)
There's a bit more options here than I'm requesting, so you can ignore the diagonal range, physical stick boundary and slope. The Circle deadzone is relative to the remaining range(like Halo 5 has it set up), so setting both square and circle to 15% doesn't equal a 30% deadzone(this is unfortunately the main confusing part of these options). One thing you might see is how the outer deadzone shape changes based one how much the square deadzone is used. This is how it should happen to make sure you have the same range of movement from the deadzone(something Reach and later do).

Some Youtube videos can also show some of these things in practice.

Deadzone Shapes: (https://youtu.be/e5fsPRJubOw) Forgive the rounded square overlay and the rounded outer edges(the stick input overlay is circular), but the differences should be clear. The only thing changed are the deadzone values which are functionally the same as one the graph. As mentioned above, this is simply done by adding a circular deadzone over a square one. Any size can be obtained too.

Acceleration Curves: (https://youtu.be/sLO3g8cmB-g) This shows some extremes, but option increments would allow more precise adjustments. X^1.1, x^1.7, x^2.3 etc.

Aim Assist Options
For some reason this is a touchy subject, but options to disable aim assist should be added. There's nothing elitist or foolish about requesting this especially if we saw these improvements to the core aiming. We've seen a skull in CE and 2's anniversary, but an actual option would be nice if you wished to also disable this in multiplayer. Now for multiplayer, a toggle should only disable the slowdown and/or tracking(there could be options for both) since bullet magnetism affects gun balance. Skulls could be added in 3 and 4 as score modifiers as well to match CE and 2.

*****Conclusion*****
This is a lot to ask for, but I would guarantee the aiming would feel immensely better with these changes and options. You would be able to replicate most Halo's aiming controls with these options, as well as games like CoD, Battlefield or Titanfall. With this level of customization even players should noticeable jumps in their accuracy even when playing on radically higher sensitivities.
Bumping for justice, because I feel this is something that needs to be looked into.
I understand only like 2% of what those guys are talking about, but BUMP because it's obviously some legit stuff :)
l Masko l wrote:
..I understand only like 2% of what those guys are talking about. . .
This is a bit to take in if you're unfamiliar with these things, but I'm very broadly mentioning that Halo's controls aren't ideal since things like diagonal movement isn't accurate, acceleration isn't consistent and there are important options missing. This update would be a good chance to see this improved. Headshots, tracking and general aim would be worlds easier if players could have access to correct diagonal movement and customize the deadzones/acceleration to their tastes.

Having all these options would still allow you keep aiming nearly the same as it currently is if you like how they currently play, but would also let you customize it in any other way. If you prefer how Halo: Reach feels over CE, you could change the settings to mimic Reach's. If you prefer CoD's aiming over Halo 4's, you could mimic CoD's aiming controls. If you prefer Borderlands to Halo 3, you can set up the controls to feel like Borderlands. You could mimic most games' aiming systems with these options so you could cater to every player.
l Masko l wrote:
This is a bit to take in if you're unfamiliar with these things, but I'm very broadly mentioning that Halo's controls aren't ideal since things like diagonal movement isn't accurate, acceleration isn't consistent and there are important options missing. This update would be a good chance to see this improved. Headshots, tracking and general aim would be worlds easier if players could have access to correct diagonal movement and customize the deadzones/acceleration to their tastes.

Having all these options would still allow you keep aiming nearly the same as it currently is if you like how they currently play, but would also let you customize it in any other way. If you prefer how Halo: Reach feels over CE, you could change the settings to mimic Reach's. If you prefer CoD's aiming over Halo 4's, you could mimic CoD's aiming controls. If you prefer Borderlands to Halo 3, you can set up the controls to feel like Borderlands. You could mimic most games' aiming systems with these options so you could cater to every player.
I'm with you dude.

All I can add is I'd like them to fix/update something I've noticed in Halo CE (I play lost of campaign stuff):
You can't move and press crouch at the same time. And other button combos don't work either.

That may be due to the old engine design where that was normal, idk. I haven't played Halo back in 2001.
Maybe I'm wrong and that's how it should be, but I'd like to be able to move and crouch while I'm playing.
l Masko l wrote:
l Masko l wrote:
You can't move and press crouch at the same time. . .
YES. It's a small thing but I'm not sure why it was changed from the original version. It'd be nice to see that come back. Being able to run into a crouch is so much smoother than having to stop to do it.

The only other main issue I could think of in CE could also use a fix for the Banshee firing. Unless it's been fixed since the last time I played, the shots fire way above the crosshair(haven't touched multiplayer so I'm not sure if that's an issue there).
l Masko l wrote:
l Masko l wrote:

I'm with you dude.

All I can add is I'd like them to fix/update something I've noticed in Halo CE (I play lost of campaign stuff):
You can't move and press crouch at the same time. And other button combos don't work either.

That may be due to the old engine design where that was normal, idk. I haven't played Halo back in 2001.
Maybe I'm wrong and that's how it should be, but I'd like to be able to move and crouch while I'm playing.
Do you use toggle crouch?
Oziwag wrote:
l Masko l wrote:
l Masko l wrote:

I'm with you dude.

It's the one where I only crouch while I hold the crouch button. I let go and I get back up.
Kind of use that option in all Halo games.
l Masko l wrote:
Oziwag wrote:
l Masko l wrote:
l Masko l wrote:

I'm with you dude.

It's the one where I only crouch while I hold the crouch button. I let go and I get back up.
Kind of use that option in all Halo games.
Well wouldn't it be easier to toggle it if you are trying to move and crouch?
If they do add this, it'd be perfect for keyboard and mouse users.
Don't understand much, but anything to improve this game would be great!
Add toggle crouch? It's already a thing. It's in control settings under crouch behavior.
For adapters like the XIM or CronusMAX it would, but it would also make aiming immensely better for normal controller users. Those adapters already can emulate around the deadzone size, shape, missing diagonal movement and edit the acceleration curves to set up better mouse movement with the current controls. Controller users can't edit any of these things(unless they also have adapters).
These options would benefit normal players much more than players using adapters.
For adapters like the XIM or CronusMAX it would, but it would also make aiming immensely better for normal controller users. Those adapters already can emulate around the deadzone size, shape, missing diagonal movement and edit the acceleration curves to set up better mouse movement with the current controls. Controller users can't edit any of these things(unless they also have adapters).
These options would benefit normal players much more than players using adapters.
wow. I knew about deadzone but I thought those adapters still stayed within the confines of the game. I would love for this to happen but won't it change the actual style of the game seeing as the newer halos to the older ones have a faster pace? Maybe an aim assist option would also go with your idea.

-Edit- Completely forgot he mentions the aim assist option in the OP.
wow. I knew about deadzone but I thought those adapters still stayed within the confines of the game. I would love for this to happen but won't it change the actual style of the game seeing as the newer halos to the older ones have a faster pace? Maybe an aim assist option would also go with your idea.
The adapters are only limited by the maximum sensitivity the game allows, and perhaps some uncontrollable settings like aim smoothing or things you couldn't easily find equations to get around. So you won't be able to turn any faster than a 10 sensitivity in any Halo game or affect the rate at which the 'turn' acceleration increased, but you could alter anything else.

The aiming would be a big difference, though I'm not sure if there'd be anything that really changes the style of gameplay. The gameplay seen from PC versions of Halo CE, 2 and Online aren't much different from console/traditional Halo gameplay outside of faster and higher accuracy shots. Players should land headshots more regularly and flub shots less, but I'd imagine that's the only thing that would speed up the gameplay.
i played 4 sens on og halo 3 and was able to turn relatively fast, i now play 6 on mcc and still struggle sometimes, im pretty sure the acceleration is nonexistant at this point, every halo except h4 has aiming issues
I’m not sure what any of that stuff means but if it makes the controls smoother I’m completely down! Mostly I just want the crosshairs centered like they are in halo 5, throws me off to play mcc and 5 because of how differently they operate D:
I’m not sure what any of that stuff means but if it makes the controls smoother I’m completely down! Mostly I just want the crosshairs centered like they are in halo 5, throws me off to play mcc and 5 because of how differently they operate D:
It's quite self-explanatory. The deadzone is how much you can move your stick before it actually registers.
The acceleration is how fast you turn depending on where your stick is. If you hold the right stick fully right you're going to turn faster than if you only moved it half-way. He talks about the speed increase of where you hold it.
X and Y refers to looking up (Vertical Y axis) versus looking sideways (Horizontal X axis).

You can imagine this on a graph that starts at 0 and curves upwards.
Bump. I read your original post on Reddit a while back and it had some great information presented in it. It would definitely be ideal if 343 looked at adding additional aiming options to MCC . For H3 in particular, these additional features would make it possible to customize a control setup that makes the aiming feel more natural and less square. Furthermore, it would also be great to be able to customize aiming in the other titles akin to what H5 provides. Additional aiming features are a no brainer IMO, who would be opposed to having more control over how they aim?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2