Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

[Locked] MCC update and the new leveling systems.

OP SPARTAN FLYBOY

I just got done reading the update from Wednesday. I honestly love the direction it’s going. The new UI looks fantastic even in its pre-launch state and the hype is increasing. I’m excited to see the game enter the final stages of its update to 4K readiness, but I’m concerned by this core change that was decided upon for multiplayer: separating credits and level.

In my opinion, and others may and will feel differently, the Credits as XP (CaXP) system employed in Reach was a way to increase player agency and tactical awareness. It’s removal from the game is a lost opportunity. Within the CaXP system the player had to make a choice between helmet A, shoulder pad B, or saving for Inclement Weather. That was all your choice. That’s also why at any given level no two Spartans looked the same. Now, as far as I can tell there are three different progression systems? Level, tied to XP earned after every game on a dedicated server. Unlocks (namely armor unlocks) tied to seasons and “Seasonal Points” (whose method of dissemination was not brought up). And Rank, tied to competitive playlist performance (It will matter to the niche it serves and will likely become the measure for determining player ability if PC games like Siege have any similarity to the disposition of the community). It was stated in the blog that this was to “...[make] the distinction between level XP and currency clearer to players.” There was no distinction and that was the point. Taking a closer inspection of Reach, the CaXP system fulfilled many jobs in one go. You could easily tell someone’s rank and general skill without opening the player list by looking at a person’s armor in Reach. If someone was running around with lightning flashing around them, a giant kukri, and a skull in their flaming pilot helmet you knew that fight was likely going to be tougher that fighting someone in the MK.Vb armor with just new shoulders. A player could measure their responses to given situations by noting the armor of the spartan they were facing. Now the armor will only be cosmetic when it could make encounters in the Reach multiplayer games more multi-dimensional. It fulfilled a leveling system where (although not explicitly explained) players were rewarded and advanced by the merits of their in-game achievements and dedication. You noticed that you got more points the better you did, and were able to utilize your new ranks to requisition new gear, which made sense. If that was the part of the system that needed clarification, a simple list and note of Cr needed to obtain the next rank would be simpler. The rank system had no significant additional bearing on competitive play performance, but that meant keener eyes and faster recognition were requirements for high-level play. I would welcome a system of public or private ranking for competitive play.

I’m just going to come right out and say that I don’t like battlepass systems if it wasn’t already painfully obvious. I don’t care for it in any game, let alone my favorite franchise. I understand that it’s useful to release these things in a sort of rolling-barrage as a developer, but for me it’s always been tedious, perturbing, and now it’s approaching over-usage. Because of this, to quote the expanded lore, it feels imitative not innovative.
I would’ve liked to see a truncated version of the Reach progressions system. Maintain the CaXP system, get rid of excessive grind ranks similar to Warrant Officer Grade 3, offer Cr for other games and challenges (as you’re already doing), offer a starting credit package based on the player’s service record (capped to a few levels just to reward previous play and dedication), and institute an unlock system through a customization store like in Reach. Roll out the new unlocks through updates, and slowly let the system control armor for the other games as well. Say that all options currently in the game now have an assigned task to them OR a level in the rank system. Say you’d like the CQB chest for your halo 3 spartan, you could unlock it by earning an achievement in H3 or you reach level 20 after earning a described amount of Cr. Some armor would be locked behind the walls of the level system without any achievements and some should only be unlocked via achievements. A sort of hybrid between the H3 unlock system and the Reach system.

To all reading, please don’t mistake my post as vitriol. Its merely an exploration of the new system based upon my observations and thoughts. The only reason I took the time to write this post is because I honestly care about the future of this game, and I feel that this will be a missed opportunity in favor of a quickly tiring over-used mechanic. Feel free to comment and tell me I’m an old timer, or I’m missing key details from my analysis, or maybe that you agree. Let’s talk about it. Maybe all is fine and I’m just overreacting to a new take on something that didn’t work for me in the past, but regardless I’d feel like an opportunity was lost if I said nothing.
I don’t know if I would call this a “battle pass” system. Saying that makes it sound like content is locked behind a timed thing, where if you don’t get it in that time period, you’ll probably never get it. This new system allows you to go back to previous seasons and unlock content.
My only problem with it is that it is just such a grind at times
I know the op probably has other things to say now that the new system is out. For instance, only high level players will have inclement weather and the haunted helm. You still need to be good, as well as grind. However I can tell you that you don't have to grind that much. I was an inheritor on reach, and right now I'm level 42 in mcc. That means out of the battle pass unlock system, im 42 out of a 100. I'm nearly half way to unlocking all the hard unlocks from original reach, and the game has hasn't even been out a month.
Grinders aren't Generals... They're sheep. Ha only kidding. I don't particularly like the whole tour thing. Not very original. Could have done better with that, but I have enjoyed playing Reach again and the ranks remind me of Halo 3, which brings back nostalgia so pleased easily, - until I stop at the end of my first tour.
Regice554 wrote:
I know the op probably has other things to say now that the new system is out. For instance, only high level players will have inclement weather and the haunted helm. You still need to be good, as well as grind. However I can tell you that you don't have to grind that much. I was an inheritor on reach, and right now I'm level 42 in mcc. That means out of the battle pass unlock system, im 42 out of a 100. I'm nearly half way to unlocking all the hard unlocks from original reach, and the game has hasn't even been out a month.
Great i've played it since the Update was out and Im not even at Level 19 getting my ODST Helmet that I would have gotten already at the same amount of time, along with the other ODST parts, in O-Reach, the Game has become to much of a grind, it takes ages to level depending on which mode you play and it doesn't help that the increasing XP needed to Level is still in there as well. I like to take again Rocket League as an example how it should work, not only do you need a set amount of XP to reach the next level (20.000(You could make it 70.000 in Halo)) you also get some drops along the way.

They either should give us the Option to Unlock the things we actually want. I only care about the ODST armor and i'm not willing to grind up to Level 40 something to have everything of that Set, unlocking Stuff i don't care about along the way (like Voices or Armor Effects) and after that) or increase either the amount of SP we get, or increase the XP earned after a Match (There also seems to be a XP-Cap. at Performance at least in never get more than 8.000)
If the unlock system was even easier people would have less of a reason to play. Also double exp is officially a thing.
Regice554 wrote:
If the unlock system was even easier people would have less of a reason to play. Also double exp is officially a thing.
It would help against the AFK-Spinning-People in Grifball because they would probably stop farming XP like crazy, thats the thing with the current System, it takes to long and it is not rewarding. In the Hours, Day or Week even you need to got from Level 1 to X you can do so much more things with your precious time, drawing, hanging out with friends, watching a movie, binging Expanse.....SLEEPING.

As i said, the System Bungie had in Reach was much better, YES you needed a certain amount of XP/Credits to unlock Armor, BUT you always got Credits after a Match/Mission and you had Challenges that would give you a little extra amount.

If the progression System is like that in Halo Infinite i know i will stay away from the Multiplayer - which is sad because i enjoyed it so far in every Halo.
I'm actually still around. I've hit rank 37 I think. While I miss the Cr system of Reach and still want MCC to dole out XP from campaign and previous service, I'm actually enjoying the new system. I'm really chaffing under the current XP cap, but this double XP weekend has been fantastic.

I maintain that there's still a lost opportunity, that seasons are becoming a cliche, and 343i didn't really need to reinvent the wheel. However, I've been having a lot of fun and the new system isn't what I imagined when I read that article in May. It's not bad at all.

I don't know about you all, but I'm happy as hell to be back on Reach.
Lyk2 wrote:
Regice554 wrote:
It would help against the AFK-Spinning-People in Grifball because they would probably stop farming XP like crazy, thats the thing with the current System, it takes to long and it is not rewarding. In the Hours, Day or Week even you need to got from Level 1 to X you can do so much more things with your precious time, drawing, hanging out with friends, watching a movie, binging Expanse.....SLEEPING.

As i said, the System Bungie had in Reach was much better, YES you needed a certain amount of XP/Credits to unlock Armor, BUT you always got Credits after a Match/Mission and you had Challenges that would give you a little extra amount.

If the progression System is like that in Halo Infinite i know i will stay away from the Multiplayer - which is sad because i enjoyed it so far in every Halo.
It's not the system, it's the players. The people messing up games by going afk or just quiting are the problem. The point of playing is to have fun, if u arnt having fun, don't play. Or alternatively play other modes that you enjoy. Or maybe do some research on how to play to up your game experience. if halo is a chore and not something that excites you, don't play it. And for unlocks, effort = reward. No effort, no reward, halo has allways been like this. I know the new system isn't great, but heck, it dose work for what it was intended to do.
Regice554 wrote:
Lyk2 wrote:
Regice554 wrote:

It's not the system, it's the players. The people messing up games by going afk or just quiting are the problem. The point of playing is to have fun, if u arnt having fun, don't play. Or alternatively play other modes that you enjoy. Or maybe do some research on how to play to up your game experience. if halo is a chore and not something that excites you, don't play it. And for unlocks, effort = reward. No effort, no reward, halo has allways been like this. I know the new system isn't great, but heck, it dose work for what it was intended to do.
Weird....than why did i enjoyed every single Halo Multiplayer (yes even Halo 5 with the REQs). The Progression System 343 introduced is awful and needs a serious overhaul. As i said, have Challenges return for example that give you an XP Boost.

ALL they have to do is to look at how Bungie did it in Reach and adjust it for their new System.
Lyk2 wrote:
Regice554 wrote:
Lyk2 wrote:
Regice554 wrote:

Weird....than why did i enjoyed every single Halo Multiplayer (yes even Halo 5 with the REQs). The Progression System 343 introduced is awful and needs a serious overhaul. As i said, have Challenges return for example that give you an XP Boost.

ALL they have to do is to look at how Bungie did it in Reach and adjust it for their new System.
The system is very similar to reach and even has the same problems with boosters and afk players. I hope 343 makes some change to make everyone happy. Personally I think if they make things too easy to unlock, the custization would be completely devalued, much like how many thought halo 5s system was a joke. On the other side of things if 343 makes it too hard to unlock, when everyone gets the armor it becomes too common. So comon in fact that all the players who put in their time into the game start to wear actual common armor just to stand out form the crowd that alllllll have the rare armor on. I think the system we have now is a good in between. Maybe I'll change my mind when I'm on unlock level 70. But so far I'm mid 40s and the update just dropped so I'm assuming in three months I'll be at the end of the grinding journey.

I think people wanted reachs credit system and unlocks but at the same time so many people are demanding very quick unlocks. Maybe they should of just ported over reachs unlock system. I'm also thinking we have this battle pass system because of future updates. As a consumer and player we don't know what 343 plans. We see a stupid battle pass like system, but we don't know how it really works yet because we're on season one. We all literally don't know what the plan is and how everything comes together but we are all collectively jumping to conclusions.

I'm kind of curious of how we unlocked the armor in halo 3 on mcc...... It's been so long since I unlocked it on mcc. Was it unlocked or did I have to do something. I'll assume it was an achievement unlock. Maybe 343 should of made reachs armor achievement based?
Well they need to do something. As I said for me personally and for many others, the Levelling takes to long especially when there is an XP cap, Lets just say you get a 100 Kills in a Match and all sorts of Medals, In the end you still only get 8.000 XP, likes someone who only had 20 Kills/Medals this is in my eyes unfair, yes people would probably complain why those people are getting so many XP then, BUT for the people who have that kind of Performance it is more "rewarding" as it actually mirrors their Performance.

Or change the Unlock System as I said/change the Order. I'm a fan of the ODST Armor, always was and it bothers me that the Helmet gets Unlocked at Tier 19 (STILL not there despite playing, playing, playing) And all the other Parts that belongs to it are in the Tier 40 Area. Yes it was also in Reach like that, you didn't unlock all of the Parts at the same Rank, but if you have a Progression System like that from Left to Right, it would be better if Armor Parts that belong to one Another are closer together, they don't need to be one after another (19/20/21) but closer like every 5 Tiers. There is a tone of Stuff before and after the Armor Parts that I am absolutely not interested in. So after Tier 19 I have to spend around 21 Tier Points for things I will never ever use (Firefight Voices, Armor Effects and a whole bunch of Armors) This is an endless grind when you only want specific things, If i remember correctly (been a while since i played or unlocked anything in O-Reach) this was much closer together in it - Or it just felt faster because things like Challenges.
Lyk2 wrote:
Well they need to do something. As I said for me personally and for many others, the Levelling takes to long especially when there is an XP cap, Lets just say you get a 100 Kills in a Match and all sorts of Medals, In the end you still only get 8.000 XP, likes someone who only had 20 Kills/Medals this is in my eyes unfair, yes people would probably complain why those people are getting so many XP then, BUT for the people who have that kind of Performance it is more "rewarding" as it actually mirrors their Performance.

Ok ya got me, maybe they should increase the level cap. I do want to be tewarded for having crazy matches where i get many kills and assists . But i think if they do that they should at least make more ranks. Not to make unlocks harder but to keep ranking up after you have unlocked everything. Side note, more exp from medals would promote killing over doing the actual objective.

Maybe 343 should of let everyone automaticlay have what they were wearing in reach, orginal reach. Then lock eveything else behind a exp wall.
Please don't revive old topics thanks