Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Microsoft and 343 lost a sale due to no LAN

OP TJH8402

I don’t know if anybody from Microsoft or 343 pays any attention to these, but in case they do, I thought they should know they lost the sale of an xbox and Halo thanks to the lack of LAN support. A group of friends and I were trying to set up and link Xbox ones somewhere there is no internet connection available to play together, but the fact that we can’t means we have no need to procure extra Xboxes or copies of the game.
Guess this was already brought up years ago:
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2mi9se/master_chief_collection_thoughts_on_lan_system/

I wonder if maybe they will fix this in the up and coming 2018 Update that everyone is talking about.
I've been complaining about this since the launch of the Xbox One. I bought 16 Xbox One's with the impression that I'd be able to continue system link/LAN events but was furious to discover they don't. Microsoft got their way and shipped out a console that is required to be online all the time
I've been complaining about this since the launch of the Xbox One. I bought 16 Xbox One's with the impression that I'd be able to continue system link/LAN events but was furious to discover they don't. Microsoft got their way and shipped out a console that is required to be online all the time
Yeah that sucks man. If i remember correct, didn't they misrepresent (lie) that they would be LAN compatible? Could be wrong, but it seems like that was the case.
Yeah that sucks man. If i remember correct, didn't they misrepresent (lie) that they would be LAN compatible? Could be wrong, but it seems like that was the case.
They didn't misrepresent anything regarding the LAN capability, they simply didn't say or advertise anything. There's no logically reason as to why the capability was taken out. PC's and PC gaming will always be ahead of console gaming and they've ALWAYS been had LAN capabilities in their games
My understanding is that it’s not so much Xbox as it is the game designers. There apparently are Xbox one games that you can LAN with; the system is capable of it, Halo just doesn’t happen to be one of the titles that can.
SystemLink was supported on the original Xbox and 360 game versions. They may have removed them due to problems they found and or compatibilty or other unknown reasons.

There was a YT video posted about how the HALO Project manager admitted to numerous faults and bad decisions during the MCC development process. SystemLink could have been a casualty of that as well.

Maybe they will add it in with next Update. Something to ask the 343 development and support resources if you can get in contact with them. Is a shame SystemLink isn't supported, would be nice for those who don't have internet and want to play in a LAN party configuration on a local network.
TJH8402 wrote:
My understanding is that it’s not so much Xbox as it is the game designers. There apparently are Xbox one games that you can LAN with; the system is capable of it, Halo just doesn’t happen to be one of the titles that can.
MS as a company didn't support LAN on the Xbox One in the beginning.

Now I don't know the full details, or how it all came about. Maybe MS didn't provide support for adding LAN in to XBox One games, or maybe MS pushed for Devs to remove LAN from their XBO titles, or maybe it was a left over from their stupid always online set up they initially pushed. I'm trying to think back and remember if MS or 343i themselves had actually said that the system doesn't support LAN. Whatever it was, many actually believed that the system couldn't support LAN.

In fact if you look at earlier games, like Borderlands, Dead Island, Halo MCC, they didn't support it, despite having LAN on the 360 (They removed LAN). Then BC games came to the system which supported LAN, and even COD games came out with the feature. Realising that the system can supprt LAN, fans hit back at MS, and it was that bad that when Gears 4 was announced they made it a point to highlight that Gears 4 would feature Split Screen and LAN, two features Halo 5 received heavy backlash for omitting.

Maybe if enough people ask, 343i could add it in with the 2018 update.
i think Microsoft and 343 lost a lot of sales of games and consoles due to no LAN. I know I would have bought another Xbox One and more games if they had LAN support. I've purchased two original Xbox consoles and two Xbox 360 consoles along with two copies of MANY games, but there's no reason to purchase two Xbox One consoles. Xbox One is my least favorite console because of all its limitations, and I still play games on my Xbox 360s MUCH more than my Xbox One.

If 343 added true offline LAN support to Halo MCC, I would seriously consider purchasing another Xbox One and another copy of the game, particularly if it worked with Halo 2 forge mode.
Let me make one thing clear, this isn't something 343 Industries can control. Having true offline LAN support is a Microsoft decision. It's something that the Xbox One is not capable of doing. Because of that, all game developers can't include true offline LAN support in their games.

Richnj wrote:
TJH8402 wrote:

Now I don't know the full details, or how it all came about. Maybe MS didn't provide support for adding LAN in to XBox One games, or maybe MS pushed for Devs to remove LAN from their XBO titles, or maybe it was a left over from their stupid always online set up they initially pushed. I'm trying to think back and remember if MS or 343i themselves had actually said that the system doesn't support LAN. Whatever it was, many actually believed that the system couldn't support LAN.

The Xbox One is more than capable of having LAN Support. The Xbox One is better and faster than the Xbox 360 so what kind of sense does it make to say "the Xbox One can't handle LAN support"? Not busting your chops, just saying that it doesn't make sense. Remember when Microsoft announced the Xbox One and they said that the Xbox One would always need to be connected to the internet? The backlash from that was immense! They backpedaled and said that wouldn't be the case but it very much is, they just didn't advertise it as such. This is nothing more than Microsoft getting their way and no one noticed. Do you ever hear people complain about offline play? You, me, and a few others who get upset about it and that's it. People don't know any better.
i think Microsoft and 343 lost a lot of sales of games and consoles due to no LAN. I know I would have bought another Xbox One and more games if they had LAN support. I've purchased two original Xbox consoles and two Xbox 360 consoles along with two copies of MANY games, but there's no reason to purchase two Xbox One consoles. Xbox One is my least favorite console because of all its limitations, and I still play games on my Xbox 360s MUCH more than my Xbox One.

If 343 added true offline LAN support to Halo MCC, I would seriously consider purchasing another Xbox One and another copy of the game, particularly if it worked with Halo 2 forge mode.
They did loose quite a bit in the way of sales and have really hurt the professional gaming leagues. Not having LAN support has forced tournaments to be in venues with internet sufficient enough to not only stream but play online. That's an added expense and added complication. I honestly think that's the whole reason all the big games have microtransactions now, is to fund their tournament series. It's become so expensive and hard to host tournaments now that the added revenue from the microtransactions helps pay for all the costs. Back when the Xbox 360 reigned, all gaming tournaments needed were consoles, monitors, enough networking equipment to connect them all together, and enough space for a big tournament. One or two internet connections would be needed for the sole purpose of streaming but that was it
That stinks! I have not tried to have a LAN party in years. Didn't even realize they took out local gaming from Halo: MCC.
Let me make one thing clear, this isn't something 343 Industries can control. Having true offline LAN support is a Microsoft decision. It's something that the Xbox One is not capable of doing. Because of that, all game developers can't include true offline LAN support in their games.
Richnj wrote:
TJH8402 wrote:

The Xbox One is more than capable of having LAN Support. The Xbox One is better and faster than the Xbox 360 so what kind of sense does it make to say "the Xbox One can't handle LAN support"? Not busting your chops, just saying that it doesn't make sense. Remember when Microsoft announced the Xbox One and they said that the Xbox One would always need to be connected to the internet? The backlash from that was immense! They backpedaled and said that wouldn't be the case but it very much is, they just didn't advertise it as such. This is nothing more than Microsoft getting their way and no one noticed. Do you ever hear people complain about offline play? You, me, and a few others who get upset about it and that's it. People don't know any better.
I'm not saying that. I said that's what people believed. I said that MS didn't support the feature. The exact same as you said before replying to me.
Richnj wrote:
TJH8402 wrote:

They did loose quite a bit in the way of sales and have really hurt the professional gaming leagues. Not having LAN support has forced tournaments to be in venues with internet sufficient enough to not only stream but play online. That's an added expense and added complication. I honestly think that's the whole reason all the big games have microtransactions now, is to fund their tournament series. It's become so expensive and hard to host tournaments now that the added revenue from the microtransactions helps pay for all the costs. Back when the Xbox 360 reigned, all gaming tournaments needed were consoles, monitors, enough networking equipment to connect them all together, and enough space for a big tournament. One or two internet connections would be needed for the sole purpose of streaming but that was it
Just to clarify, the Xbox One is capable of System Link at a hardware level. Another user once said to me it was impossible and at the time I wasn't in a position to test it, however, after running extensive tests regarding Halo 3 and System Link, I can confirm that with no internet connection (I shut off the network), you can in fact System Link with an Ethernet cable between two Xbox One's but I only tested Halo 3.

However, using WiFi proved to be impossible as all Xbox One's during the test with Halo 3 claimed the other consoles were at fault with a NAT error, which was immediately fixed with Ethernet cables. Switching back on the internet and adding more consoles into the test made no difference, they all failed over WiFi.

I know this doesn't help the conversation specifically regarding Halo MCC since Microsoft, 343 or any other developer has for whatever reason neglected LAN in recent games though the as mentioned, via Ethernet cable and no internet, the Xbox One can do System Link with BC games like Halo 3.

Hopefully they will have LAN support going forward.
Just to clarify, the Xbox One is capable of System Link at a hardware level. Another user once said to me it was impossible and at the time I wasn't in a position to test it, however, after running extensive tests regarding Halo 3 and System Link, I can confirm that with no internet connection (I shut off the network), you can in fact System Link with an Ethernet cable between two Xbox One's but I only tested Halo 3.

However, using WiFi proved to be impossible as all Xbox One's during the test with Halo 3 claimed the other consoles were at fault with a NAT error, which was immediately fixed with Ethernet cables. Switching back on the internet and adding more consoles into the test made no difference, they all failed over WiFi.

I know this doesn't help the conversation specifically regarding Halo MCC since Microsoft, 343 or any other developer has for whatever reason neglected LAN in recent games though the as mentioned, via Ethernet cable and no internet, the Xbox One can do System Link with BC games like Halo 3.

That's really good to know! I always use wired ethernet to connect my Xbox 360s anyway, but it's strange that WiFi doesn't work. But it sounds like there may be hope yet, and I will remain cautiously optimistic.
The system itself supports lan, after All it's just a 10/100/1000 Ethernet port on the back. The problem is the actual game software Halo:TMCC requires a connection to dedicated servers to play anything multiplayer related.

That's really good to know! I always use wired ethernet to connect my Xbox 360s anyway, but it's strange that WiFi doesn't work. But it sounds like there may be hope yet, and I will remain cautiously optimistic.
The WiFi doesn't work in part to how the OS handles Xbox Live. It uses the wireless connection poritizing traffic to the internet over traffic to other devices on the network. Wireless would be a bad idea regardless unless you had a wireless Ethernet hub and not router.
Cool, thanks for the replies in regards to my previous question. Some great information.
Richnj wrote:
Richnj wrote:
TJH8402 wrote:

I'm not saying that. I said that's what people believed. I said that MS didn't support the feature. The exact same as you said before replying to me.
I know. Just making it clear to everyone else who may end up reading this post
Richnj wrote:
Richnj wrote:
TJH8402 wrote:

Oh ok, my bad. I got confused and thought you were responding to me. Sorry about that.
Richnj wrote:
Richnj wrote:
Richnj wrote:
TJH8402 wrote:

Oh ok, my bad. I got confused and thought you were responding to me. Sorry about that.
No worries :)