Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Mix-tape matchmaking might be coming to MCC

OP DankMemesTho

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
From the September update:
Quote:
Additionally, based on player suggestions, the team is also exploring what a “mix-tape” Matchmaking spec might entail for MCC that lets players pick and choose the maps and modes they want to play.
What do you guys think the best kind of implementation of this would be for MCC, and why? Do you think this should be done instead of or in addition to map vetoing? I am excited for such a change, but community brainstorming and feedback is going to be crucial.
mixtape matchmaking would be amazing. No more Halo 4 BTB.

This should be done instead of map vetoing. Based on the quote from the update, they're considering making the mixtape customization intricate enough to allow for the selection of maps and modes. If you can do this, then there's no reason to also have veto. If there's a map/mode you don't want to play or something, just un-check it from your mixtape.
What other games implemented this system? How did it work out for them? Very curious to see how it would affect search times. Doesn't seem particularly efficient.

I'd love some more insight if anyone can offer it. Right now, I am not sold on it at all if it drastically affects search times.
What other games implemented this system? How did it work out for them? Very curious to see how it would affect search times. Doesn't seem particularly efficient.

I'd love some more insight if anyone can offer it. Right now, I am not sold on it at all if it drastically affects search times.
I never played Titanfall 2, but apparently they implemented it successfully. I'm going to read that thread to pick up some specifics.
Not sure how it will work given the number of games, maps and modes, as well overall population, skill, time of day and regional considerations.
What other games implemented this system? How did it work out for them? Very curious to see how it would affect search times. Doesn't seem particularly efficient.

I'd love some more insight if anyone can offer it. Right now, I am not sold on it at all if it drastically affects search times.
The only players who would have longer search times would be those who restrict the search options to be tighter than what they can currently find in a playlist.

If it makes your searches take too long, check more boxes to expand the number of games/maps/modes it could put you in.
This is a great idea. Some of us are willing to have longer search times to get in the gametype we want. Less quitting, less complaining about playlist configuration, better competition. It would eliminate so many problems with matchmaking right now.
I don't support it at all. The game already has playlists suffering as is and this just furthers it. I'm all for the idea if the mcc had the luxury of a good sized pop but I'm not seeing that when half the time it takes 30 minutes to get Into games depending on what you're playing.

What I'd suggest is sure, implement it for now, but as time goes on players will have to untick things just to get games or not play at all. I'd also suggest the matchmaking system to bypass the feature if games aren't found in adequate timing as not everyone has countless hours to waste on searching for a game.
I don't support it at all. The game already has playlists suffering as is and this just furthers it. I'm all for the idea if the mcc had the luxury of a good sized pop but I'm not seeing that when half the time it takes 30 minutes to get Into games depending on what you're playing.

What I'd suggest is sure, implement it for now, but as time goes on players will have to untick things just to get games or not play at all. I'd also suggest the matchmaking system to bypass the feature if games aren't found in adequate timing as not everyone has countless hours to waste on searching for a game.
Playlist have issues because people cant play what they want in a game that took 4 years to fix after its release LOL. Pretty sure this could only help because people playing are actually getting what they prefer to play. Although the veto system is the right fix, 343 is too afraid to do it because its already been done and worked so well.
I don't support it at all. The game already has playlists suffering as is and this just furthers it. I'm all for the idea if the mcc had the luxury of a good sized pop but I'm not seeing that when half the time it takes 30 minutes to get Into games depending on what you're playing.

What I'd suggest is sure, implement it for now, but as time goes on players will have to untick things just to get games or not play at all. I'd also suggest the matchmaking system to bypass the feature if games aren't found in adequate timing as not everyone has countless hours to waste on searching for a game.
Why not at least try it?

The game is suffering precisely because of quitters and afkers. Let people play what they want and the population will grow.
What other games implemented this system? How did it work out for them? Very curious to see how it would affect search times. Doesn't seem particularly efficient.

I'd love some more insight if anyone can offer it. Right now, I am not sold on it at all if it drastically affects search times.
Shadowrun used this and it basically worked really well when the population was high, and basically the players who were more picky would have longer search times. This did mean though that some maps which the general population didn't like much would barely come up at all as not enough people had it as a preferred map.
I don't support it at all. The game already has playlists suffering as is and this just furthers it. I'm all for the idea if the mcc had the luxury of a good sized pop but I'm not seeing that when half the time it takes 30 minutes to get Into games depending on what you're playing.

What I'd suggest is sure, implement it for now, but as time goes on players will have to untick things just to get games or not play at all. I'd also suggest the matchmaking system to bypass the feature if games aren't found in adequate timing as not everyone has countless hours to waste on searching for a game.
Why not at least try it?

The game is suffering precisely because of quitters and afkers. Let people play what they want and the population will grow.
Or actually have a quit penalty for people being afk or quitting. Like pretty much every other game out there does.
AtP Angel wrote:
I don't support it at all. The game already has playlists suffering as is and this just furthers it. I'm all for the idea if the mcc had the luxury of a good sized pop but I'm not seeing that when half the time it takes 30 minutes to get Into games depending on what you're playing.

What I'd suggest is sure, implement it for now, but as time goes on players will have to untick things just to get games or not play at all. I'd also suggest the matchmaking system to bypass the feature if games aren't found in adequate timing as not everyone has countless hours to waste on searching for a game.
Why not at least try it?

The game is suffering precisely because of quitters and afkers. Let people play what they want and the population will grow.
Or actually have a quit penalty for people being afk or quitting. Like pretty much every other game out there does.
theres nothing to penalize :P Ranking system has been busted since launch and cant function even if it worked like halo 2/3s ranking because community is too small the fill out the ranks. Nothing else going on in the game so theyd have to resort to bans LOL
Suisun wrote:
I don't support it at all. The game already has playlists suffering as is and this just furthers it. I'm all for the idea if the mcc had the luxury of a good sized pop but I'm not seeing that when half the time it takes 30 minutes to get Into games depending on what you're playing.

What I'd suggest is sure, implement it for now, but as time goes on players will have to untick things just to get games or not play at all. I'd also suggest the matchmaking system to bypass the feature if games aren't found in adequate timing as not everyone has countless hours to waste on searching for a game.
Playlist have issues because people cant play what they want in a game that took 4 years to fix after its release LOL. Pretty sure this could only help because people playing are actually getting what they prefer to play. Although the veto system is the right fix, 343 is too afraid to do it because its already been done and worked so well.
Im aware of the mccs history of issues, it still doesn't change the fact that pop issues are still there regardless of why they're like that.

I'm not in agreement that it'll help at all. You say people will get to play what they want, but this in turn also limits what others can play when part of that pop is no longer around. This is really nothing but a luxury feature to me and the mcc doesn't have much for luxury with all of it's issues now and from the past.

Here's my point. Let's say btb had all 4 games into one package, no one gets to play exactly what they but you have the most players possible so search times are quicker. Implement this feature where people only took one game and you divide your count significantly. Let's just pretend BTB has 500 players in total and you implement this. Odds are H4 gets ignored by most people, I'dimagine H3 would be the most picked with H2 and H1 following. Out of that 500, 200 pick H3, 100-150 pick H2 and H1 and H4 is left with 50 or so players. You're going to always be playing vs the same players, you're going to have different times in the day where searching for games take longer, and in the end you'll have to tick a game you don't like just to play unless you move onto an entirely different game. I don't see how this helps as you're just taking players away from one game to another, essentially the least liked things will be left in the dust and those who do like it get the lesser experience or none at all if the game/mode is dead.

I already hear how swat is non existent in players, doing this just puts a nail on it and the same to other modes. This only truly works if you've got a pop to support it and or players who are tolerable to other games "if" they had to.
Suisun wrote:
I don't support it at all. The game already has playlists suffering as is and this just furthers it. I'm all for the idea if the mcc had the luxury of a good sized pop but I'm not seeing that when half the time it takes 30 minutes to get Into games depending on what you're playing.

What I'd suggest is sure, implement it for now, but as time goes on players will have to untick things just to get games or not play at all. I'd also suggest the matchmaking system to bypass the feature if games aren't found in adequate timing as not everyone has countless hours to waste on searching for a game.
Playlist have issues because people cant play what they want in a game that took 4 years to fix after its release LOL. Pretty sure this could only help because people playing are actually getting what they prefer to play. Although the veto system is the right fix, 343 is too afraid to do it because its already been done and worked so well.
Im aware of the mccs history of issues, it still doesn't change the fact that pop issues are still there regardless of why they're like that.

I'm not in agreement that it'll help at all. You say people will get to play what they want, but this in turn also limits what others can play when part of that pop is no longer around. This is really nothing but a luxury feature to me and the mcc doesn't have much for luxury with all of it's issues now and from the past.

Here's my point. Let's say btb had all 4 games into one package, no one gets to play exactly what they but you have the most players possible so search times are quicker. Implement this feature where people only took one game and you divide your count significantly. Let's just pretend BTB has 500 players in total and you implement this. Odds are H4 gets ignored by most people, I'dimagine H3 would be the most picked with H2 and H1 following. Out of that 500, 200 pick H3, 100-150 pick H2 and H1 and H4 is left with 50 or so players. You're going to always be playing vs the same players, you're going to have different times in the day where searching for games take longer, and in the end you'll have to tick a game you don't like just to play unless you move onto an entirely different game. I don't see how this helps as you're just taking players away from one game to another, essentially the least liked things will be left in the dust and those who do like it get the lesser experience or none at all if the game/mode is dead.

I already hear how swat is non existent in players, doing this just puts a nail on it and the same to other modes. This only truly works if you've got a pop to support it and or players who are tolerable to other games "if" they had to.
Im pretty confident that most players would prefer getting their matches a bit slower if it meant the games themselves were better. The CE/H4/H2A lovers are already getting -Yoink- experiences because of how many dont want to play those games.This would at least get them matches that arent filled with quitters.
Suisun wrote:
I don't support it at all. The game already has playlists suffering as is and this just furthers it. I'm all for the idea if the mcc had the luxury of a good sized pop but I'm not seeing that when half the time it takes 30 minutes to get Into games depending on what you're playing.

What I'd suggest is sure, implement it for now, but as time goes on players will have to untick things just to get games or not play at all. I'd also suggest the matchmaking system to bypass the feature if games aren't found in adequate timing as not everyone has countless hours to waste on searching for a game.
Playlist have issues because people cant play what they want in a game that took 4 years to fix after its release LOL. Pretty sure this could only help because people playing are actually getting what they prefer to play. Although the veto system is the right fix, 343 is too afraid to do it because its already been done and worked so well.
Im aware of the mccs history of issues, it still doesn't change the fact that pop issues are still there regardless of why they're like that.

I'm not in agreement that it'll help at all. You say people will get to play what they want, but this in turn also limits what others can play when part of that pop is no longer around. This is really nothing but a luxury feature to me and the mcc doesn't have much for luxury with all of it's issues now and from the past.

Here's my point. Let's say btb had all 4 games into one package, no one gets to play exactly what they but you have the most players possible so search times are quicker. Implement this feature where people only took one game and you divide your count significantly. Let's just pretend BTB has 500 players in total and you implement this. Odds are H4 gets ignored by most people, I'dimagine H3 would be the most picked with H2 and H1 following. Out of that 500, 200 pick H3, 100-150 pick H2 and H1 and H4 is left with 50 or so players. You're going to always be playing vs the same players, you're going to have different times in the day where searching for games take longer, and in the end you'll have to tick a game you don't like just to play unless you move onto an entirely different game. I don't see how this helps as you're just taking players away from one game to another, essentially the least liked things will be left in the dust and those who do like it get the lesser experience or none at all if the game/mode is dead.

I already hear how swat is non existent in players, doing this just puts a nail on it and the same to other modes. This only truly works if you've got a pop to support it and or players who are tolerable to other games "if" they had to.
There has never been a time TMCC wasn’t severely plagued by quitters. With BTB and TS being the worst offenders when they both included all 4 titles.

To perfectly illustrate using your example why your reasoning is flawed, let me relate what happened with me and my friends that could be multiplied thousands of times over: My friends and I who prefer CE and H2 tried over and over to play TS and BTB only to have the experience ruined because of quitters. Even in H3 games that we despised but played because we aren’t quitters. Hence, we stopped playing TMCC altogether.

If there were some way to play fairly competitive matches of what we like without the hassle and commitment of having a huge friends list to do custom games, we would have a blast and come back to TMCC. As we would continue to enjoy ourselves we would continue to persuade all our other friends to join us. As they would enjoy themselves, they would persuade their friends to join them. And so on and so forth. The population would grow. So that hypothetical 500 you used would grow to, say 700.
Suisun wrote:
I don't support it at all. The game already has playlists suffering as is and this just furthers it. I'm all for the idea if the mcc had the luxury of a good sized pop but I'm not seeing that when half the time it takes 30 minutes to get Into games depending on what you're playing.

What I'd suggest is sure, implement it for now, but as time goes on players will have to untick things just to get games or not play at all. I'd also suggest the matchmaking system to bypass the feature if games aren't found in adequate timing as not everyone has countless hours to waste on searching for a game.
Playlist have issues because people cant play what they want in a game that took 4 years to fix after its release LOL. Pretty sure this could only help because people playing are actually getting what they prefer to play. Although the veto system is the right fix, 343 is too afraid to do it because its already been done and worked so well.
Im aware of the mccs history of issues, it still doesn't change the fact that pop issues are still there regardless of why they're like that.

I'm not in agreement that it'll help at all. You say people will get to play what they want, but this in turn also limits what others can play when part of that pop is no longer around. This is really nothing but a luxury feature to me and the mcc doesn't have much for luxury with all of it's issues now and from the past.

Here's my point. Let's say btb had all 4 games into one package, no one gets to play exactly what they but you have the most players possible so search times are quicker. Implement this feature where people only took one game and you divide your count significantly. Let's just pretend BTB has 500 players in total and you implement this. Odds are H4 gets ignored by most people, I'dimagine H3 would be the most picked with H2 and H1 following. Out of that 500, 200 pick H3, 100-150 pick H2 and H1 and H4 is left with 50 or so players. You're going to always be playing vs the same players, you're going to have different times in the day where searching for games take longer, and in the end you'll have to tick a game you don't like just to play unless you move onto an entirely different game. I don't see how this helps as you're just taking players away from one game to another, essentially the least liked things will be left in the dust and those who do like it get the lesser experience or none at all if the game/mode is dead.

I already hear how swat is non existent in players, doing this just puts a nail on it and the same to other modes. This only truly works if you've got a pop to support it and or players who are tolerable to other games "if" they had to.
There has never been a time TMCC wasn’t severely plagued by quitters. With BTB and TS being the worst offenders when they both included all 4 titles.

To perfectly illustrate using your example why your reasoning is flawed, let me relate what happened with me and my friends that could be multiplied thousands of times over: My friends and I who prefer CE and H2 tried over and over to play TS and BTB only to have the experience ruined because of quitters. Even in H3 games that we despised but played because we aren’t quitters. Hence, we stopped playing TMCC altogether.

If there were some way to play fairly competitive matches of what we like without the hassle and commitment of having a huge friends list to do custom games, we would have a blast and come back to TMCC. As we would continue to enjoy ourselves we would continue to persuade all our other friends to join us. As they would enjoy themselves, they would persuade their friends to join them. And so on and so forth. The population would grow. So that hypothetical 500 you used would grow to, say 700.
I mean even singular games have quitters and they have penalties that don't stop it. So if that can't work then why would this feature resolve it? People quit when they're losing, playing poorly or don't get their favorite thing picked. So you tick H2 and so does this random, however you both have entirely different map preferences and the random bails because of it. At best those features limit it like everything else when it comes to quitters.

My reasoning really isn't that flawed either, segregation leads to smaller groups and you're just applying that to the game if you implement the feature. Sure some people might come back if they get more assurance that what they like gets played, but this still doesn't stop the lesser liked things being played less and as a result those people end up leaving. So what are the odds more people are coming in than there are leaving? I think that's a number neither of us have as we don't have pop counts on the games and their modes, all we can rely on is search times equating to more or less players IE the longer to get a game, the less it has or the quicker to get one, the more it has. So the pop could go from total 500 to 700 or it could go from 500 to 300, even then that number divides up further based on preferenced game selection.

Either way I've already said go for it, I personally see it failing but who knows 🤷 if it does then they need a bypass to simply get a game started regardless of the lobby preference and if it pans out, well then I'm wrong in saying it won't work and good for those who says it could.
Suisun wrote:
I don't support it at all. The game already has playlists suffering as is and this just furthers it. I'm all for the idea if the mcc had the luxury of a good sized pop but I'm not seeing that when half the time it takes 30 minutes to get Into games depending on what you're playing.

What I'd suggest is sure, implement it for now, but as time goes on players will have to untick things just to get games or not play at all. I'd also suggest the matchmaking system to bypass the feature if games aren't found in adequate timing as not everyone has countless hours to waste on searching for a game.
Playlist have issues because people cant play what they want in a game that took 4 years to fix after its release LOL. Pretty sure this could only help because people playing are actually getting what they prefer to play. Although the veto system is the right fix, 343 is too afraid to do it because its already been done and worked so well.
Im aware of the mccs history of issues, it still doesn't change the fact that pop issues are still there regardless of why they're like that.

I'm not in agreement that it'll help at all. You say people will get to play what they want, but this in turn also limits what others can play when part of that pop is no longer around. This is really nothing but a luxury feature to me and the mcc doesn't have much for luxury with all of it's issues now and from the past.

Here's my point. Let's say btb had all 4 games into one package, no one gets to play exactly what they but you have the most players possible so search times are quicker. Implement this feature where people only took one game and you divide your count significantly. Let's just pretend BTB has 500 players in total and you implement this. Odds are H4 gets ignored by most people, I'dimagine H3 would be the most picked with H2 and H1 following. Out of that 500, 200 pick H3, 100-150 pick H2 and H1 and H4 is left with 50 or so players. You're going to always be playing vs the same players, you're going to have different times in the day where searching for games take longer, and in the end you'll have to tick a game you don't like just to play unless you move onto an entirely different game. I don't see how this helps as you're just taking players away from one game to another, essentially the least liked things will be left in the dust and those who do like it get the lesser experience or none at all if the game/mode is dead.

I already hear how swat is non existent in players, doing this just puts a nail on it and the same to other modes. This only truly works if you've got a pop to support it and or players who are tolerable to other games "if" they had to.
There has never been a time TMCC wasn’t severely plagued by quitters. With BTB and TS being the worst offenders when they both included all 4 titles.

To perfectly illustrate using your example why your reasoning is flawed, let me relate what happened with me and my friends that could be multiplied thousands of times over: My friends and I who prefer CE and H2 tried over and over to play TS and BTB only to have the experience ruined because of quitters. Even in H3 games that we despised but played because we aren’t quitters. Hence, we stopped playing TMCC altogether.

If there were some way to play fairly competitive matches of what we like without the hassle and commitment of having a huge friends list to do custom games, we would have a blast and come back to TMCC. As we would continue to enjoy ourselves we would continue to persuade all our other friends to join us. As they would enjoy themselves, they would persuade their friends to join them. And so on and so forth. The population would grow. So that hypothetical 500 you used would grow to, say 700.
I mean even singular games have quitters and they have penalties that don't stop it. So if that can't work then why would this feature resolve it? People quit when they're losing, playing poorly or don't get their favorite thing picked. So you tick H2 and so does this random, however you both have entirely different map preferences and the random bails because of it. At best those features limit it like everything else when it comes to quitters.

My reasoning really isn't that flawed either, segregation leads to smaller groups and you're just applying that to the game if you implement the feature. Sure some people might come back if they get more assurance that what they like gets played, but this still doesn't stop the lesser liked things being played less and as a result those people end up leaving. So what are the odds more people are coming in than there are leaving? I think that's a number neither of us have as we don't have pop counts on the games and their modes, all we can rely on is search times equating to more or less players IE the longer to get a game, the less it has or the quicker to get one, the more it has. So the pop could go from total 500 to 700 or it could go from 500 to 300, even then that number divides up further based on preferenced game selection.

Either way I've already said go for it, I personally see it failing but who knows 🤷 if it does then they need a bypass to simply get a game started regardless of the lobby preference and if it pans out, well then I'm wrong in saying it won't work and good for those who says it could.
Fair enough.

I’m scared to say it can’t much worse because maybe it can. But I really don’t think it could get worse. I feel like the way they set up the playlists at launch was literally the worst possible thing they could’ve come up with. Letting people play what they want can only make things more enjoyable and improve things for everyone.
I have no idea what “mixtape” matchmaking truly is but I support it if it gives players more freedom to choose gametypes within specific playlists.

Since the update I have not been motivated to play along with many other of my slayer friends simply because we are forced to play objective games in 4v4. For me, I hate objective games unless it is in btb where I certainly welcome it. I’ve always hated 4v4. I just want a full time slayer gametype with the full map experience.

People that have read any of my posts know how I have explained in detail how cross gametype and cross game playlists dilute every game type in any playlist, resulting in a poor matchmaking experience for anyone who even slighly cares about originality of these games.

I’m for any system that allows more freedom to choose. This would certainly help matchmaking health and help prevent prayers protesting by afk or quitting.
Will it make intelligent delivery useless? Will I be able to play the titles that I want to play in the mixer? If not, then its a horrible idea that takes us backwards.
If I have to play 3 different titles just to play doubles, them Im out. I want to be able to play H2 OR H3, not H2 AND H3, in the same playlist thank you very much.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3