Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Mix-tape matchmaking might be coming to MCC

OP DankMemesTho

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I'm all for it, this is even better than an idea that I posted the other week, though very similiar.
Ranks are an obvious issue, though I say make 1 rank per (ranked) "gametype" and game combo. I know that's a lot of ranks, but you could totally turn only certain games for certain modes social etc. to get the same amount of ranks we have now. Let's go for it! If it leads to a worse overall experience we can always go back to what we have now.
Suisun wrote:
AtP Angel wrote:
I don't support it at all. The game already has playlists suffering as is and this just furthers it. I'm all for the idea if the mcc had the luxury of a good sized pop but I'm not seeing that when half the time it takes 30 minutes to get Into games depending on what you're playing.

What I'd suggest is sure, implement it for now, but as time goes on players will have to untick things just to get games or not play at all. I'd also suggest the matchmaking system to bypass the feature if games aren't found in adequate timing as not everyone has countless hours to waste on searching for a game.
Why not at least try it?

The game is suffering precisely because of quitters and afkers. Let people play what they want and the population will grow.
Or actually have a quit penalty for people being afk or quitting. Like pretty much every other game out there does.
theres nothing to penalize :P Ranking system has been busted since launch and cant function even if it worked like halo 2/3s ranking because community is too small the fill out the ranks. Nothing else going on in the game so theyd have to resort to bans LOL
I get what you mean. In the current build they could do timed bans, so if you leave a game, you just have to wait to search until the game you left was over. Excessive quiting is just more time waiting. They really do need some progressional system like exp to help deter people in a nicer way, where if they stay they gain some xp.
To be honest I feel like this would be similar COD E-Sport Playlist in BO3 where each team is given an option to pick one thing to turn off before the match. But for Halo the only way this would work out where it’s not about a squad of teammates picking the same thing repeatedly is having a single random player pick before the match is going to start and pick a map and gametype they wish to play.

So, for example we have a 5v5 Playlist with access to any gametype and map in MCC. One single player would be given an option to pick a map and gametype out of 10 players. So, let’s say I was with my buddies or by myself and I got the option to pick, the system would give me to 10 sec to pick a map and another 10 sec to pick a gametype or 30sec to pick both. If I don't pick for some reason within the time it provides me the system will pick for me.

Now something like this I would like to see if it’s completely random and everyone has a 50% chance. But what I wouldn't like with this is if a certain player is picked more than another player just because certain things like
  1. They have the most Play Time
  2. They have the Highest Skill Level
  3. They have more Precision Kills
  4. They have the Most Wins
  5. They have the Best K/D/A
Things of this nature will KILL the idea all together. So, the best choice to make it far for everyone is to make it a 50/50 chance so everyone is happy.
I just don’t love the idea of mixtape matchmaking, as all it does is lead to longer wait times.

A custom game browser does accomplishes the same thing as mixtape matchmaking.
Honestly, I would rather prefer if they opt for a tickbox option instead. With that option, you can select what games you want to play in matachmaking.

Let's say you want to play Halo 2 Classic. Go to the tickbox area, deselect all games but Halo 2 (all games are ticked by default), and when you go to into matchmaking - the server will pair you up with players who want to play H2 Classic.

This feature can help reduce the amount of crossplay playlist, and consolidate them into one. Of course, this won't apply to ranked playlist - only cross-game playlists.

If you're worried that you may get only Halo 3 in BTB, don't worry - just deselect Halo 3 and the server won't match you with players who want to play Halo 3.
I really think people are undervaluing what this will do to search times.

If you limit the mixtaping to the Halo level it would probably be okay, but once you get into modes and maps population fragmentation probably becomes a major issue.
I have been saying they needed to do this from day one pretty much. It's the only way to make the players happy really. Yeah if you want like one map with one game type your search time maybe a bit longer but the more flexible you are as far as maps and games the shorter your search times. I would love to see it added to MCC. I am way more that willing to have a bit longer search time if I can get the games I want on the maps I want.
Will it make intelligent delivery useless? Will I be able to play the titles that I want to play in the mixer? If not, then its a horrible idea that takes us backwards.
If I have to play 3 different titles just to play doubles, them Im out. I want to be able to play H2 OR H3, not H2 AND H3, in the same playlist thank you very much.
It would make intelligent delivery more useful. Intelligent delivery is currently somewhat useless since you have to install everything in order to play some playlists. With mixtape matchmaking, you wouldn't need to install the games you don't ever want to play.

As for your concerns between Halo 2 and 3, if you're in the mood for just Halo 2, only select that in your mixtape. If you're in the mood for Halo 3, only select that one. If you're in the mood for both or don't care which one you get, select both.
AtP Angel wrote:
I don't support it at all. The game already has playlists suffering as is and this just furthers it. I'm all for the idea if the mcc had the luxury of a good sized pop but I'm not seeing that when half the time it takes 30 minutes to get Into games depending on what you're playing.

What I'd suggest is sure, implement it for now, but as time goes on players will have to untick things just to get games or not play at all. I'd also suggest the matchmaking system to bypass the feature if games aren't found in adequate timing as not everyone has countless hours to waste on searching for a game.
Why not at least try it?

The game is suffering precisely because of quitters and afkers. Let people play what they want and the population will grow.
Or actually have a quit penalty for people being afk or quitting. Like pretty much every other game out there does.
And it never stemmed quitters. Ever.
AtP Angel wrote:

Why not at least try it?

That’s a huge exaggeration.

It would be fair to say it doesn’t eliminate quitting. But it does at the very least slow quitters down.

And quit penalties work very well in other games. I can vouch for Overwatch. Quitting is extremely rare there.
I think since ranks are an obvious issue, maybe they should turn social into mixtape and keep the ranked playlists as they are. Or maybe create two mixtapes, one that basically just let's you select one-all ranked playlists and the other that is the "pick your halo and gametype" thing for social.
What other games implemented this system? How did it work out for them? Very curious to see how it would affect search times. Doesn't seem particularly efficient.

I'd love some more insight if anyone can offer it. Right now, I am not sold on it at all if it drastically affects search times.
Battlefield used to use a system similar to this. I haven't played that series in a while though, so I don't know if they still do or not.
Mix-Tape matchmaking is exactly what this game needs. I imagine that ranked playlists will still have to exist, but only giving one or two per game, plus this and the custom games browser seems like the best way to go.
What other games implemented this system? How did it work out for them? Very curious to see how it would affect search times. Doesn't seem particularly efficient.

I'd love some more insight if anyone can offer it. Right now, I am not sold on it at all if it drastically affects search times.
Battlefield used to use a system similar to this. I haven't played that series in a while though, so I don't know if they still do or not.
Battlefield's is a server browser. People create their own servers that cater to their wants, or just jump into DICE's official ones and play those.

Mix-tape is a system Titanfall 2 implemented that allows you to create your own, single playlist that picks and chooses various gametypes you want to play, while ignoring the stuff you don't want to play.

Battlefield's is a server browser. People create their own servers that cater to their wants, or just jump into DICE's official ones and play those.

Mix-tape is a system Titanfall 2 implemented that allows you to create your own, single playlist that picks and chooses various gametypes you want to play, while ignoring the stuff you don't want to play.
I remember playing either Bad Co 2 or 3 and being able to select what maps I wanted to play in a certain gametype playlist. I know that Battlefield has a server browser as well, but it has/had a Mix-Tape-ish setup in place. I'm almost certain of it. Either way, it doesn't matter that much. I still think that this system is exactly what this game needs. And unless I'm mistaken, the custom games browser is still coming.

In a perfect world I think that they allow that to handle a lot of the "goofy" gametypes, and try to focus as much as possible on "core" Halo using traditional matchmaking. Individual ranked playlists should still exist, and this should be for social only.
AtP Angel wrote:

Why not at least try it?

It would be fair to say it doesn’t eliminate quitting. But it does at the very least slow quitters down.

And quit penalties work very well in other games. I can vouch for Overwatch. Quitting is extremely rare there.
It does not "slow quitters down" and people quit in Overwatch all the time.
AtP Angel wrote:

Why not at least try it?

In social maybe but there's join in progress so that doesn't matter. I only tend to get quitters on overwatch in plat/diamond once every 10 games or so. Which is a lot less than on Halo.
AtP Angel wrote:
AtP Angel wrote:

Why not at least try it?

In social maybe but there's join in progress so that doesn't matter. I only tend to get quitters on overwatch in plat/diamond once every 10 games or so. Which is a lot less than on Halo.
I could argue that I didn't see much quitters in H5 ranked play either but that's simply a case of ranked play in relavent/hot games. People are likely to quit in a vested ranked context.

But so we're clear, I say this all the time: No penalty on earth will make somebody play a match they don't want to.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3