Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Mix-tape matchmaking might be coming to MCC

OP DankMemesTho

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I think the fix is simple: Once you quit your entire Xbox can't reque matchmaking until the game you quit out of ends. This doesn't penalize people who quit because their teammates did and kinda makes it pointless to quit in the first place unless you are trying to surrender.
oGh L0RCH wrote:
I think the fix is simple: Once you quit your entire Xbox can't reque matchmaking until the game you quit out of ends. This doesn't penalize people who quit because their teammates did and kinda makes it pointless to quit in the first place unless you are trying to surrender.
That doesn't solve anything. It's just a timeout based on match length - which in fact could lead to a lesser duration than other 'detention' penalties.

And it still won't stop people from leaving a match they don't wanna play.
I never quit so I figured people did it to get into a more desriable game more quickly. With this it takes the same time as just finishing the game.
I don't know exactly unless I try it in the Insider Program, but I will give my best guess that it is almost like OptiMatch from Halo 2 from 2004.
Being able to pick the game and gametype is most important. We need that freedom to make this game successful. I love classic Halo but can hardly bring myself to play mcc in its current state because of how limiting the options are. This is the most restrictive update yet. I want to play the titles I choose. I want to play the gametypes I choose. Period
Love the content mixer idea, would love to spend the day playing only CTF or Oddball and such, hoping to see it coming to MCC in the next 2 weeks
Quote:
Additionally, based on player suggestions, the team is also exploring what a “mix-tape” Matchmaking spec might entail for MCC that lets players pick and choose the maps and modes they want to play.
I think the mixtape concept just clicked in my head.
It's almost like being able to enter in to matchmaking and have the potential to be matched in games taken from all of the available playlists? Rather than confined to a single playlist
Has there been any discussion around what this will do to match search times? It has to increase them for the less popular games and modes.
Has there been any discussion around what this will do to match search times? It has to increase them for the less popular games and modes.
I would assume that the pickier you are (say, you only wanted to play one mode on one game, like CE Oddball) then you would probably wait a while.

That said, fair tradeoff to play what you want to play.
AtP Angel wrote:
AtP Angel wrote:
I don't support it at all. The game already has playlists suffering as is and this just furthers it. I'm all for the idea if the mcc had the luxury of a good sized pop but I'm not seeing that when half the time it takes 30 minutes to get Into games depending on what you're playing.

What I'd suggest is sure, implement it for now, but as time goes on players will have to untick things just to get games or not play at all. I'd also suggest the matchmaking system to bypass the feature if games aren't found in adequate timing as not everyone has countless hours to waste on searching for a game.
Why not at least try it?

The game is suffering precisely because of quitters and afkers. Let people play what they want and the population will grow.
Or actually have a quit penalty for people being afk or quitting. Like pretty much every other game out there does.
And it never stemmed quitters. Ever.
That’s a huge exaggeration.

It would be fair to say it doesn’t eliminate quitting. But it does at the very least slow quitters down.

And quit penalties work very well in other games. I can vouch for Overwatch. Quitting is extremely rare there.
It does not "slow quitters down" and people quit in Overwatch all the time.
In social maybe but there's join in progress so that doesn't matter. I only tend to get quitters on overwatch in plat/diamond once every 10 games or so. Which is a lot less than on Halo.
I could argue that I didn't see much quitters in H5 ranked play either but that's simply a case of ranked play in relavent/hot games. People are likely to quit in a vested ranked context.

But so we're clear, I say this all the time: No penalty on earth will make somebody play a match they don't want to.
Say it all you want, but to me and many others, it's simple common sense that these kinds of penalties have some sort of measurable impact on the frequency of quitting.

I can prove it. Let's take a hypothetical player who quits 100% of their games (I know, that's not realistic, but it illustrates the point). If they quit game A, immediately queue up again, and then enter/quit game B, let's say that whole process takes 5 minutes. Take the same scenario, but add a 15 minute cooldown after quitting before they can queue up again. Well now the process takes 20 minutes.

There. Less quitting over time.
If this makes it in the MCC, there NEEDS to be a population count displaying on the games/maps you want to play. I can already see some problems with this if people go play something with a low population, they will be frustrated with search times.
If this makes it in the MCC, there NEEDS to be a population count displaying on the games/maps you want to play. I can already see some problems with this if people go play something with a low population, they will be frustrated with search times.
Absolutely not.

Let the population dictate what they want to play without the burden of thinking will get them in the fastest game.
Absolutely not.

Let the population dictate what they want to play without the burden of thinking will get them in the fastest game.
I'm just saying there's always gonna be that one game & map where people rarely go to and it's gonna be frustrating for the ones who want to play as the population would be dead. So absolutely YES. Population count please, so I don't waste no time on searching for players who don't even wanna play what I play. It's something that should have been in the normal playlists in the first place.
Absolutely not.

I'm just saying there's always gonna be that one game & map where people rarely go to and it's gonna be frustrating for the ones who want to play as the population would be dead. So absolutely YES. Population count please, so I don't waste no time on searching for players who don't even wanna play what I play. It's something that should have been in the normal playlists in the first place.
I see no need for population counts. Players should be smart enough to know the more specific they are the longer their wait times might be. Which I would gladly wait a bit longer for games I actually want rather than fast match times for games I don't particularly want. All population counts do is give players false sense of match making times and steer them towards the bigger numbers.
AtP Angel wrote:
AtP Angel wrote:
I don't support it at all. The game already has playlists suffering as is and this just furthers it. I'm all for the idea if the mcc had the luxury of a good sized pop but I'm not seeing that when half the time it takes 30 minutes to get Into games depending on what you're playing.

What I'd suggest is sure, implement it for now, but as time goes on players will have to untick things just to get games or not play at all. I'd also suggest the matchmaking system to bypass the feature if games aren't found in adequate timing as not everyone has countless hours to waste on searching for a game.
Why not at least try it?

The game is suffering precisely because of quitters and afkers. Let people play what they want and the population will grow.
Or actually have a quit penalty for people being afk or quitting. Like pretty much every other game out there does.

It would be fair to say it doesn’t eliminate quitting. But it does at the very least slow quitters down.

And quit penalties work very well in other games. I can vouch for Overwatch. Quitting is extremely rare there.
In social maybe but there's join in progress so that doesn't matter. I only tend to get quitters on overwatch in plat/diamond once every 10 games or so. Which is a lot less than on Halo.
I could argue that I didn't see much quitters in H5 ranked play either but that's simply a case of ranked play in relavent/hot games. People are likely to quit in a vested ranked context.

But so we're clear, I say this all the time: No penalty on earth will make somebody play a match they don't want to.
Say it all you want, but to me and many others, it's simple common sense that these kinds of penalties have some sort of measurable impact on the frequency of quitting.

I can prove it. Let's take a hypothetical player who quits 100% of their games (I know, that's not realistic, but it illustrates the point). If they quit game A, immediately queue up again, and then enter/quit game B, let's say that whole process takes 5 minutes. Take the same scenario, but add a 15 minute cooldown after quitting before they can queue up again. Well now the process takes 20 minutes.

But you're talking about one person. If we're talking hypotheticals, players can still run into quitters every match.
AtP Angel wrote:
AtP Angel wrote:

Why not at least try it?

But you're talking about one person. If we're talking hypotheticals, players can still run into quitters every match.
The point is that these kinds of penalties would absolutely reduce the frequency with which those quitters are encountered based on the fact that they'd simply be given less chances to quit. Unless I'm mistaken about how they will implement the penalties, then it's just an empirical fact.
AtP Angel wrote:
AtP Angel wrote:

Why not at least try it?

The point is that these kinds of penalties would absolutely reduce the frequency with which those quitters are encountered based on the fact that they'd simply be given less chances to quit. Unless I'm mistaken about how they will implement the penalties, then it's just an empirical fact.
You're making the mistake of believing habitual quitters just quit as a matter of course. That is not the case.
AtP Angel wrote:
AtP Angel wrote:

Why not at least try it?

You're making the mistake of believing habitual quitters just quit as a matter of course. That is not the case.
They do.

Then they just switch to an alt account. Some have admitted as much in these forums.
AtP Angel wrote:
AtP Angel wrote:

Why not at least try it?

They do.

Then they just switch to an alt account. Some have admitted as much in these forums.
They don't. The truth about habitual quitters is they're just gamers with less shame and considerations than most, so they feel no compunctions about leaving a game for reasons we'd brush off. Otherwise you can't tell a quitter from yourself. They don't enter a game to quit in itself, it's not a practice or consistent motive.

So talking about them like you can profile them and build a prevention system is asinine. That's why none of these measures ever worked.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3