Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Most difficult Legendary Halo Game

OP Mikkhep93

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
What Halo game did you find the hardest to complete in legendary difficulty?
I'd say Halo 2 due to dual - wielding elite honorguards, one shot snipers, aggressiv enemy AI in general, mission odds, flood enemies on shotgun spree and so much more...
H2 is by far the hardest. If anyone doesn’t choose H2 they are a liar.
Halo 5, the character is fragile like in Halo 2 and the enemies are still lethal and unfair, like Reach and Halo 4 (projectile velocity, impossible rate of fire and incredible and impossible turret rotation speed) , not to be found in CE, 2, 3 and ODST, at least in a noticeable way.

The campaign came with coop in mind to make things slower and harder for a solo player, I can progress much faster on a couple of missions in Reach in LASO, it shouldn't be.
Halo 2 easily I have only ever beat one mission on Halo 2 Legendary without the Scarab skull.
Definitely Halo 2, because of how rushed together Bungie put the legendary difficulty. They didn't have as much time to balance it like Halo Combat Evolved. Many factors make Halo 2 super difficult.

1. You can die in a second.
2. Enemies fire weapons super fast.
3. Sniper Jackals
4. etc
I still say H3. Quite a few say H2 but I had more trouble with H3. But that is just me.
H2 is by far the hardest. If anyone doesn’t choose H2 they are a liar.
Agreed, the enemies are very strong and the jackals, oh I hate the Halo 2 jackals hahaha
Halo 5, the character is fragile like in Halo 2 and the enemies are still lethal and unfair, like Reach and Halo 4 (projectile velocity, impossible rate of fire and incredible and impossible turret rotation speed) , not to be found in CE, 2, 3 and ODST, at least in a noticeable way.

The campaign came with coop in mind to make things slower and harder for a solo player, I can progress much faster on a couple of missions in Reach in LASO, it shouldn't be.
Halo 5 is by far the easiest legendary campaign. Projectiles aren't that fast and the ai is nowhere near aggressive as H2, if anything H5's ai is defensive, it will virtually never chase you down. You also have a constant 3 allies at all times that you can order to focus fire with you and carry around powerweapons. Oh yeah, they'll also revive you if you somehow die giving you infinite get out of jail free cards. The only time you will ever actually die is when your squad has a 10IQ moment and all lines up to get killed by whatever downed you. Everything that makes the H5 campaign unique is a literal crutch
I will keep saying Halo 2. I completed the other games with no trouble at all. Not saying that they were easy of course, it’s just that Halo 2 is ridiculous. If I hadn’t watched speedrun guides I’d be still stuck not even halfway through Cairo Station.
It’s halo 2.

as soon as I hear, “brutes!” I die.
I will go for Halo 2 due to some obvious reasons which has been mentioned in few previous posts. In addition to these obvious reasons, Halo 2 do also have the extremely frustrating Regret fight.
Halo 2 is by far the hardest for me. After that, I'd say it goes CE, 3, 5, 4.
I will go for Halo 2 due to some obvious reasons which has been mentioned in few previous posts. In addition to these obvious reasons, Halo 2 do also have the extremely frustrating Regret fight.
Right on, me and a friend had that fight with Regret... we entered the room with 15000 in score, and as you know; for everytime you die you are taken away 100 points from that. Just to put it in perspective: 15000 in the beginning, in the end: 8000.
I want to know what knobhead decided to give him sooooo much health. On Easy you can kill him in just 2 punches, and on Normal it takes 3; several times I've seen him get killed by his own Honour Guards. On Heroic he's fine, 2 boardings and he's done. On Legendary, though, I swear you have to board him at least 7 times before he dies, and that's if you don't have the Mythic skull active.
From a personal experience going through all of the fps halos solo legendary and starting a slaso playthrough I would say Halo Ce to be honest.
  • Your only weapon that can one shot a unshielded enemy is your magnum that can be inaccurate and ammo is scarce.
  • Halo MCC CE is a broken PC port
  • Your shield is basically glass with your health being your backbone and good luck fighting with a small red sliver
  • Elites dodge plasma shots and projectiles for that matter with ease.
  • The mission two betrayals on solo is a mind numbing nightmare in my experience
My reasons why Halo 2 isn't to bad
  • The plasma pistol is a easy to use weapon that has a strong emp track
  • Most weapons that can one shot unshielded enemies is hit scan so the noob combo is really easy to pull of
  • Sniper jackals are not that hard just memorize spawns (you can skip them on outskirts) and stay behind cover with a precision weapon and be patient rushing will get you killed.
  • Enemies don't dodge that much.
  • It's better to do it solo unless you have someone who is good at legendary runs.
  • I will say gravemind is decently hard with it's RNG but once at the lift just stick a brute jump of the side onto a lower level and hold out with a carbine.
So my list from hardest to easiest in Halo MCC
Halo CE, Halo 2 Halo 3, Halo 3 odst, Halo 4, Halo reach
Reach being the easiest since I can barely remember it and it being better balanced one
From a personal experience going through all of the fps halos solo legendary and starting a slaso playthrough I would say Halo Ce to be honest.
  • Your only weapon that can one shot a unshielded enemy is your magnum that can be inaccurate and ammo is scarce.
  • Halo MCC CE is a broken PC port
  • Your shield is basically glass with your health being your backbone and good luck fighting with a small red sliver
  • Elites dodge plasma shots and projectiles for that matter with ease.
  • The mission two betrayals on solo is a mind numbing nightmare in my experience
My reasons why Halo 2 isn't to bad
  • The plasma pistol is a easy to use weapon that has a strong emp track
  • Most weapons that can one shot unshielded enemies is hit scan so the noob combo is really easy to pull of
  • Sniper jackals are not that hard just memorize spawns (you can skip them on outskirts) and stay behind cover with a precision weapon and be patient rushing will get you killed.
  • Enemies don't dodge that much.
  • It's better to do it solo unless you have someone who is good at legendary runs.
  • I will say gravemind is decently hard with it's RNG but once at the lift just stick a brute jump of the side onto a lower level and hold out with a carbine.
So my list from hardest to easiest in Halo MCC
Halo CE, Halo 2 Halo 3, Halo 3 odst, Halo 4, Halo reach
Reach being the easiest since I can barely remember it and it being better balanced one
The only level where ammo is a big concern in HCE is Truth & Reconcillation. That level is a slog to get through on LASO especially since you can’t use Covenant weapons. The runner up hardest levels goes to Two Betrayals and PoA as most encounters can’t be cheesed. The flood aren’t the hardest to fight since they drop shotguns and pistols pretty often and they can’t use grenades (Although they can’t use them in H2 either).

H2 has so much RNG like the regret boss fight, gravemind spawn, gravemind prison, and Tartarus boss fight. The game even punishes you for playing co-op with the lack of respawn. Cairo Station, Delta Halo, Regret, Gravemind are some of the hardest in the whole series. If it wasn’t for invisibility and speedrunning glitches, the arbiter levels would probably be a whole lot harder.
Yea I also agree that Halo 2 has the hardest legendary campaign, but completing it would make it so worth it (I am so close... but yet so very far away...)
IMO from hardest to easiest:
CE
H4
Reach
H3
H2

Never finished H5 because its buns. H2 is by far the easiest. H2 isnt hard, it's cheap but you can skip most of the jackals anyway so no big deal.
Halo CE - The most difficult Halo regardjng my playstyle. Each mission on Legendary took me at least 2 hours each. Enemies are everywhere and your health bar does not make it easy
Halo 4 - The promethans knights were absolutely broken : bullet sponge, teleportation when you finally drop their shield (they have a bunch of and regenerate it quickly) and melee that could one shot you if you got too close
Halo 2 - The jackal sniper and the random spawning made the campaign pretty hard but not impossible (only gravemind begining was an absolute hell
Halo 5 - Not finished the campaign yet but so far the weapons do way too much damage and track your enemies like any needlers. Harder than reach because you have to deal with some kind of "bosses"
Halo Reach : Aggressive AI but predictable. Just combo pistole your way trough the campaign and you are fine. Just don't let kate drive your vehicule
Halo 3 - The easiest game in my opinion. While a BR in multiplayer is not that much appealing (better than carabine i guess), it is however your best friend alongside all other range weapons during the campaign. Only chieftain brutes are really a treat
Ammo for weapons is plentiful in CE most of the time, if you manage to run out of ammo for UNSC weapons, that means you are fighting the Covenant and the Covenant has a weak capacity to engage at medium and long-range, only NPCs with a Wraith or a Fuel Rod Gun have the attack range to engage from far and they aren't reliable.

If you can exploit that weakness it's good. The A.I. isn't very good at leading it's shots so you can even beat an Elite with a Plasma Rifle.
Halo 5 is by far the easiest legendary campaign. Projectiles aren't that fast and the ai is nowhere near aggressive as H2, if anything H5's ai is defensive, it will virtually never chase you down. You also have a constant 3 allies at all times that you can order to focus fire with you and carry around powerweapons. Oh yeah, they'll also revive you if you somehow die giving you infinite get out of jail free cards. The only time you will ever actually die is when your squad has a 10IQ moment and all lines up to get killed by whatever downed you. Everything that makes the H5 campaign unique is a literal crutch
It cannot be with Combat Evolved and (mostly) Halo 3 behind, the A.I. was also always defensive in all games, being usually bound to an area and even rarely moving to a different area. Reach has a noticeable exception if you ever activated the switch to get a Pelican or Phantom, the Banshees can chase you far from the mission area. This is not an effect of the switch.

Those aren't melee or berserking enemies, the exception which makes NPCs leave and chase a target but annoying and dangerous enemies (if caught in a bad situation) .

In Halo 2 they like to shoot at the last known position, mostly concerning if the attack is explosive or instant-kill. Aggressive but more annoying than dangerous in pratice.

Unique like the infamous battles again the Warden ? In Halo 2 it was more fair, being made for a single character in mind, this is what up the difficulty above Halo 2, you can order to focus fire and carry power weapons but the levels being designed (enemy placement and all) with coop in mind, balance that advantage quite well. I won't count the Warden fights because that's unfair for a solo player.

The management of allies NPCs to fight better is a headhache, even in the Bungie-era you could get some serious -3000IQ moment on vehicles where you need a gunner. Halo 5 is no exception but is not limited to vehicles anymore.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2