Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Multiplayer as a Whole is Nearly Unplayable

OP d The Doctor b

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I'm sure all of this has been said before, but I wanted to make a thread that thoroughly describes my specific issues with matchmaking on MCC, and see if anybody agrees with me. I'm not going to talk about AR starts or objective games or anything like that. I'm going to talk about the bare bones of MCC matchmaking that make it almost unplayable.

Let me get one thing straight before I dive into the meat of this post: my MCC is functioning really well. I rarely ever see glitches, bugs, lag, or ridiculously long matchmaking times. Over all, the game functions as I hoped it would when I purchased it back in November. With that said, let me explain why matchmaking as a whole is nearly unplayable:

(TL;DR? Important parts in bold.)

1. Social playlists are plagued by quitters. I'm not going to get into the right-or-wrong quitter debate here or talk about all the different reasons why people quit, I'm just going to state plain and simple that when you quit you are ruining the game for everyone else; it's a fact. So when I play a social playlist, usually BTB, and a map/game gets voted that a few people don't like so they quit, the match is immediately sapped of enjoyment. Nobody likes to play a 16 player gametype with ≤13 people, even if the teams are even. We're in the BTB playlist to play BTB, so depriving us of that sucks.

1a. If it's not quitters, it's AFK-ers or betrayers, which are just as bad as quitters, if not worse. I shouldn't even have to explain this one too much. When you go AFK, you just become a stationary target that's only good for feeding the enemy team kills. I can't count how many I've lost by a few kills because one guy was AFK and went 0-15 or something. This kind of goes against my personal standpoint on quitting but if I had to choose, I wish those people would just quit instead of going AFK for the entire match. I shouldn't have to lose a match I would have won because you decided to watch Youtube instead of play Halo 4.

2. Ranked playlists are fun and give an incentive to keep playing the playlist, but after you break rank 10 or so it becomes absolutely necessary to search with a team if you want to win(and if you don't care about winning, then why are you playing ranked?). With the population as low as it is, there's no way for the matchmaking system to match solo searchers with other solo searches and teams with teams. So what you get is a coordinated team in communication with each other versus a gaggle of solo searchers who are allergic to game chat. A team doesn't have to be better than the solo searches to win, they just have to be coordinated. So losing a match and de-ranking because my other guys refuse to talk in game chat, or play as a team in any capacity for that matter, sucks. I haven't been beyond rank 15 since the last reset because of this. The rank system, more specifically the de-rank system, makes me not want to play in any of the ranked playlists because I'm likely just going to get match against teams who are going to beat me.

2a. So you might say the solution to this problem is to find friends and search in a group, but there are a few flaws with that. While I do have a good amount of friends who play the game, they are often online at all different hours of the day, already playing with another group of friends, wildly different than me in terms of skill, or just not interested in grouping up for ranked playlists. Every now and then I do manage to get a team together and we do very well, but I would say that's about 5-10% of the time. the other 90-95% is spent solo searching and getting frustrated as a result.

So if I can't play social playlists because of the enormous amount of quitters/betrayers/AFK-ers, and I can't play ranked matches because there isn't a separation of teams and solo searchers, what can I play?

So if I can't play social playlists because of the enormous amount of quitters/betrayers/AFK-ers, and I can't play ranked matches because there isn't a separation of teams and solo searchers, what can I play?
Pretty good question. Lucky for me I only need to find one teammate to do the ranked CE playlist. Sometimes I can't even get that but I'll play solo anyways at this point because ranking up past 17 or so is absurdly difficult. May as well just play win or lose.
1. Social playlists are plagued by quitters. I'm not going to get into the right-or-wrong quitter debate here, I'm just going to state plain and simple that when you quit you are ruining the game for everyone else; it's a fact. So when I play a social playlist, usually BTB, and a map/game gets voted that a few people don't like so they quit, the match is immediately sapped of enjoyment. Nobody likes to play a 16 player gametype with ≤13 people, even if the teams are even. We're in the BTB playlist to play BTB, so depriving us of that sucks.

1a. If it's not quitters, it's AFK-ers or betrayers, which are just as bad as quitters, if not worse. I shouldn't even have to explain this one too much. When you go AFK, you just become a stationary target that's only good for feeding the enemy team kills. I can't count how many I've lost by a few kills because one guy was AFK and went 0-15 or something. This kind of goes against my personal standpoint on quitting but if I had to choose, I wish those people would just quit instead of going AFK for the entire match. I shouldn't have to lose a match I would have won because you decided to watch Youtube instead of play Halo 4.

Yeah I know what you mean. It's incredibly painful to often be experiencing quitters, AFKers, and betrayers. I was split-screening with my friend Rick the other day and he was shocked at what was going on in a BTB KOTH match in CE. Everytime he picked up a weapon he would get betrayed for it. He tried to return the favor and betray the betrayer, and before long our whole team was betraying each other. I was the only one trying for the hill for the last few minutes.

Anyway, I understand your pain but I don't think there is an easy solution to this one. Like you've said the long and the short of it is play with friends. An alternative fix to this would be a party up system implemented into MCC. When you get teammates that are decent and willing to play, we could party up with them after the game.
2. Ranked playlists are fun and give an incentive to keep playing the playlist, but after you break rank 10 or so it becomes absolutely necessary to search with a team if you want to win(and if you don't care about winning, then why are you playing ranked?). With the population as low as it is, there's no way for the matchmaking system to match solo searchers with other solo searches and teams with teams. So what you get is a coordinated team in communication with each other versus a gaggle of solo searchers who are allergic to game chat. A team doesn't have to be better than the solo searches to win, they just have to be coordinated. So losing a match and de-ranking because my other guys refuse to talk in game chat, or play as a team in any capacity for that matter, sucks. I haven't been beyond rank 15 since the last reset because of this. The rank system, more specifically the de-rank system, makes me not want to play in any of the ranked playlists because I'm likely just going to get match against teams who are going to beat me.

2a. So you might say the solution to this problem is to find friends and search in a group, but there are a few flaws with that. While I do have a good amount of friends who play the game, they are often online at all different hours of the day, already playing with another group of friends, wildly different than me in terms of skill, or just not interested in grouping up for ranked playlists. Every now and then I do manage to get a team together and we do very well, but I would say that's about 5-10% of the time. the other 90-95% is spent solo searching and getting frustrated as a result.
This is another weird situation where there are too many games in the MCC for everyone to be happy. A lot of the time, I just want to hop into an unranked game of H4 and have fun. It's what one of my Halo buddies and I like to do. The problem? There is no unranked H4 playlist. Everyone wants different things in MCC, and if everyone got the playlist(s) they wanted, each playlist would only have a very small population. Which is something that rightfully should be avoided.

What this leads to is people like my friend and I playing the ranked H4 playlist. But we don't play it the way ranked was meant to be played. We don't really care about winning, and sometimes just go and have fun by doing fun things in the game we wouldn't do if we cared about our rank. We play in a private chat, so we can just talk and joke around and have fun trying to play Halo. The people that play on our team probably hate us, but it's the only way to guarantee playing H4 gametypes. Are we in the wrong? What we want isn't available to us, so we make do. I think we're justified.

So there's no easy solution to the things you mention. I'm not arguing any of your points btw, I agree with you. I have to tell people that sometimes because my opinions aren't always easy to understand in text form lol.

The thing that cracks me up the most: if MCC had launched flawlessly, or at least successfully, we would have the population numbers to make a lot more playlists and make everyone happier.
You could be like me and play the ranked playlists socially lol. After all, it's just an arbitrary number next to your 'tag. It doesn't mean anything in the long term, especially with H5 coming out in about three months :D Once H5 comes out, I'll probably forget MCC even exists for a few months lol. Sorry for the long response, I know nobody will read it...
Pretty good question. Lucky for me I only need to find one teammate to do the ranked CE playlist. Sometimes I can't even get that but I'll play solo anyways at this point because ranking up past 17 or so is absurdly difficult. May as well just play win or lose.
I played ranked Halo 4 and it's doing pretty well. Still have some teams. But most solo play there
You are definitely not alone, OP. I agree 100%
Completely agree. When i was doing H4 ranked 1-15 or so, i would usually top the leaderboard. After that, even when searching with a team of really good players, myself ant my team would constantly get matched up against full teams of 35-40s while we were 15-20. We would get the -Yoink- beat out of us every other game.
After 343 fixes most of the bugs in this game, the players make new problems by doing one of the above. Crawl out of one hole, and into another. So it begs the question, what should 343 do to solve this problem? The system they have now, where your rep goes down when you quit, clearly doesn't work. In fact, I've heard that it can be easily bypassed by ejecting the disc from the Xbox.

So what would be the best way to keep players in the game, without going AFK or team killing? Should 343 use deterrence and ban players who quit, AFK, or betray? Should they add some kind of incentive to encourage players to stay in the game? Or both?
It seems like the way things are right now, matchmaking is fine for the extremes:

1. The extremely casual players who aren't going to mind hopping into a social playlist with some AFK-ers and quitters, because they're just there to play the game regardless of winning or losing. Or:

2. The extremely competitive players who consistently have a solid team to search ranked playlists with on a regular basis.

But there's a third type of player that has trouble enjoying the multiplayer, and this happens to be the exact category into which I fall:

3. The "casually competitive" players who enjoy dabbling in both social and ranked playlists depending on our mood. We like to have fun more than anything, but we also like to win and rank up. We don't care too much about K/D or W/L; as long as those things are positive we're fine. Winning and ranking up certainly isn't everything, but it's important enough to us that social playlists (for the reasons mentioned in the OP) can't sate our desire for a fun, balanced, friendly competition. On the flip side, the ranked playlists are too competitive (again, for reasons in the OP) and also fail to satisfy that same desire for a little healthy competition.
Doctor, lets try to get a group of us group 3ers and play some -Yoinking!- customs tuesday night lol
I think you also left out the part where when your team Outplays other teams,causing them to quit will make the winning team DERANK for some BS reason I can't get past 13 in Dubz because the other team quits so we get deranked? WTF. Also my teammates literally have to give the team kills and help them keep up so they don't quit what a Fail, broken system. Can't wait for Halo5.
1. Social playlists are plagued by quitters.

1a. If it's not quitters, it's AFK-ers or betrayers, which are just as bad as quitters, if not worse.

Yeah I know what you mean. It's incredibly painful to often be experiencing quitters, AFKers, and betrayers. I was split-screening with my friend Rick the other day and he was shocked at what was going on in a BTB KOTH match in CE. Everytime he picked up a weapon he would get betrayed for it. He tried to return the favor and betray the betrayer, and before long our whole team was betraying each other. I was the only one trying for the hill for the last few minutes.

Anyway, I understand your pain but I don't think there is an easy solution to this one. Like you've said the long and the short of it is play with friends. An alternative fix to this would be a party up system implemented into MCC. When you get teammates that are decent and willing to play, we could party up with them after the game.
2. Ranked playlists are fun and give an incentive to keep playing the playlist, but after you break rank 10 or so it becomes absolutely necessary to search with a team if you want to win

2a. So you might say the solution to this problem is to find friends and search in a group, but there are a few flaws with that.
This is another weird situation where there are too many games in the MCC for everyone to be happy. A lot of the time, I just want to hop into an unranked game of H4 and have fun. It's what one of my Halo buddies and I like to do. The problem? There is no unranked H4 playlist. Everyone wants different things in MCC, and if everyone got the playlist(s) they wanted, each playlist would only have a very small population. Which is something that rightfully should be avoided.

What this leads to is people like my friend and I playing the ranked H4 playlist. But we don't play it the way ranked was meant to be played. We don't really care about winning, and sometimes just go and have fun by doing fun things in the game we wouldn't do if we cared about our rank. We play in a private chat, so we can just talk and joke around and have fun trying to play Halo. The people that play on our team probably hate us, but it's the only way to guarantee playing H4 gametypes. Are we in the wrong? What we want isn't available to us, so we make do. I think we're justified.

So there's no easy solution to the things you mention. I'm not arguing any of your points btw, I agree with you. I have to tell people that sometimes because my opinions aren't always easy to understand in text form lol.

The thing that cracks me up the most: if MCC had launched flawlessly, or at least successfully, we would have the population numbers to make a lot more playlists and make everyone happier.
You could be like me and play the ranked playlists socially lol. After all, it's just an arbitrary number next to your 'tag. It doesn't mean anything in the long term, especially with H5 coming out in about three months :D Once H5 comes out, I'll probably forget MCC even exists for a few months lol. Sorry for the long response, I know nobody will read it...
I completely agree that it's a problem with the population and not with the actual matchmaking system itself. It seems like there are a lot more quitters on MCC because the population is so much smaller than it should be. I wouldn't mind the quitters so much if there was a bigger population to make them less frequent. But there's at least one quitter for every social game I play, which is ridiculous.

I don't think there is a solution, and this thread is more a rant than anything else. I think MCC's population is permanently low because of the launch, and now that Halo 5 is just a few short months away, people who left MCC have no desire to come back.

It's just really disappointing that MCC finally functions really well for me and I find it unplayable for completely different reasons.
Nooga wrote:
Doctor, lets try to get a group of us group 3ers and play some -Yoinking!- customs tuesday night lol
Customs are always a good alternative, and one that I am always on board with. The trouble is finding enough people who actually want to play them.
It seems like the way things are right now, matchmaking is fine for the extremes:

1. The extremely casual players who aren't going to mind hopping into a social playlist with some AFK-ers and quitters, because they're just there to play the game regardless of winning or losing. Or:

2. The extremely competitive players who consistently have a solid team to search ranked playlists with on a regular basis.

But there's a third type of player that has trouble enjoying the multiplayer, and this happens to be the exact category into which I fall:

3. The "casually competitive" players who enjoy dabbling in both social and ranked playlists depending on our mood. We like to have fun more than anything, but we also like to win and rank up. We don't care too much about K/D or W/L; as long as those things are positive we're fine. Winning and ranking up certainly isn't everything, but it's important enough to us that social playlists (for the reasons mentioned in the OP) can't sate our desire for a fun, balanced, friendly competition. On the flip side, the ranked playlists are too competitive (again, for reasons in the OP) and also fail to satisfy that same desire for a little healthy competition.
I also fit the 3rd category. And those of us in the 3rd category TMCC multiplayer is mostly a miserable experience.

I am hoping they will consider adding in a system similar to H5 that automatically kicks AFK players. Would also be nice to have JIP in BTB. Plus H1 needs a betrayal boot system. TMCC still needs a LOT of changes. Unfortunately I don't see much changing with this game since BC is right around corner.
1. Social playlists are plagued by quitters.

1a. If it's not quitters, it's AFK-ers or betrayers, which are just as bad as quitters, if not worse.

2. Ranked playlists are fun and give an incentive to keep playing the playlist, but after you break rank 10 or so it becomes absolutely necessary to search with a team if you want to win

2a. So you might say the solution to this problem is to find friends and search in a group, but there are a few flaws with that.

I completely agree that it's a problem with the population and not with the actual matchmaking system itself. It seems like there are a lot more quitters on MCC because the population is so much smaller than it should be. I wouldn't mind the quitters so much if there was a bigger population to make them less frequent. But there's at least one quitter for every social game I play, which is ridiculous.

I don't think there is a solution, and this thread is more a rant than anything else. I think MCC's population is permanently low because of the launch, and now that Halo 5 is just a few short months away, people who left MCC have no desire to come back.

It's just really disappointing that MCC finally functions really well for me and I find it unplayable for completely different reasons.
As far as Halo things go, it truly is a tragedy man. This game could have been such a great tribute, lasting for years with a high population. :/
As far as Halo things go, it truly is a tragedy man. This game could have been such a great tribute, lasting for years with a high population. :/
I wouldn't lose hope, the MCC is far from being the only game that's had a bad launch. I'd like to point out that Steam, the nexus of modern PC gaming, used to be one of the most hated things in the PC gaming community. Things may seem bad in the present, but when a game is fixed people don't complain about it anymore because there is no point in holding a grudge against the people who made the game. They would rather just play the game and have fun, and forget about the past. Halo 5 may be around the corner, but it's release won't just magically erase peoples' desire to play classic Halo games. Even after Halo 5 is released, I'll still come back to the MCC regularly because the games there offer a different, simpler experience. The bugs will all be riddled out eventually, and no matter how adamant people are they will come back in time.
Rhydon65 wrote:
I wouldn't lose hope, the MCC is far from being the only game that's had a bad launch. I'd like to point out that Steam, the nexus of modern PC gaming, used to be one of the most hated things in the PC gaming community. Things may seem bad in the present, but when a game is fixed people don't complain about it anymore because there is no point in holding a grudge against the people who made the game. They would rather just play the game and have fun, and forget about the past. Halo 5 may be around the corner, but it's release won't just magically erase peoples' desire to play classic Halo games. Even after Halo 5 is released, I'll still come back to the MCC regularly because the games there offer a different, simpler experience. The bugs will all be riddled out eventually, and no matter how adamant people are they will come back in time.
After all, what are people if they can't whine and complain about something?
Rhydon65 wrote:
I'm sorry but I'm not very encline to believe that (to say the least). If the game has been such a disaster for 8 months (man, it's huge in current games' lifespan, it's during this time lap that the game should have been awesome, not in one or two years), with so little (efficient) support from 343i, you'd be very optimistic to think that the game will end, a day, working as it was intented to, especially with the push on H5.

Since the H5 beta, I'm not really waiting for this new game, but at least I thought I could still have a solid Halo experience on the MCC. I only ask to be proven wrong, but it seems that really won't happen given the situation today.
Rhydon65 wrote:
People would have LOVED not having to complain about anything. Probably their fault if actually, almost everything was not working properly, right?
Krom088 wrote:
Rhydon65 wrote:
People would have LOVED not having to complain about anything. Probably their fault if actually, almost everything was not working properly, right?
Not my problem that people find faults with everything. Or have you forgotten how widespread the hacking was in Halo 2's online multiplayer way back when?
Krom088 wrote:
Rhydon65 wrote:
Not my problem that people find faults with everything. Or have you forgotten how widespread the hacking was in Halo 2's online multiplayer way back when?
I didn't have a gold account at this time, but that's not the point.
Not your problem is people find fault with everything? We are talking about MCC here, may I remind you that there was almost nothing that worked properly during the first months after launch? How would you want people to be ok with that?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2