Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

My suggestions for 8v8 HCE Playlist

OP METAL GOD HAND

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3

First I'd like to say thank you for taking the playlist suggestions from Hard Way for the 4v4 playlist. Its a fine playlist, despite a few tweaks which are needed, but I will save that for another thread. This thread is about 8v8 in Halo CE.

I truly don't mean to be rude, but it must be stated clearly: the current playlist for 8v8 Halo CE is absolutely horrible. Its just bad guys, really really bad. Ice fields, Death Island, and Infinity legitimately should have never been created. I would be surprised if a single person on this forum liked infinity. MOST people get into 8v8 because they want to get into some insane firefights, have a ton of action, and basically be dropped right in the middle of pure hell. What they DON'T want is to spend 3 minutes just to run to the other side of the map. I'm here to deliver to you guys an amazing playlist that will have 8v8 H1 popping just in time for Christmas.

FOR STARTERS: Before we even get into the playlist, first start by removing Ice Fields, Death Island, Danger Canyon and Infinity from rotation entirely. They are simply too big, and are unplayable. Especially Infinity... I'm fully prepared to delve into a 10,000 word essay on how bad Infinity sucks.

What this playlist IS: A playlist where you can queue up and get into some insanely fun games right off the bat. Intense, pure action, pure hell from start to finish.

What this playlist ISN'T: A super serious competitive playlist consisting of tournament-style gametypes.

BEFORE YOU READ: Many of these gametypes have the POSSIBILITY of delving into some rough spawn killing. However, I can make that argument for many 4v4 H1 gametypes. I think to have a large number of fun gametypes, we will have to accept that sometimes a game may be a rough experience. One example is the assault gametypes. Yeah, it could be freaking horrible one game, but the next game it may be amazing. Just give these a chance before writing them off. *WE CAN ALWAYS REVISE THE PLAYLIST AND REMOVE GAMETYPES THAT DON'T WORK WELL*

=================
Team Slayer Games:
200 kills
Pistol/AR Start
15 minute time limit (much better than 20 in the event of a bunch of quitters, 12 mins may be even better)
NO radar
5 second respawn
5 second suicide penalty
10 second betrayal penalty

Maps:
Hang Em High
Damnation
Rat Race
Battle Creek
Chill Out
Timberland
Optional: Sidewinder, Derelict
Notes: Derelict can be fun, but I think many games will delve into some of the most brutal spawn killing that we've ever seen. I think Sidewinder is a strong no, but maybe just to keep SOME form of big maps in the game, its ok.

=================
KOTH Games:
5 Minutes to win
Pistol/AR Start
15 minute time limit
No Radar
10 second respawn
5 second suicide penalty
10 second betrayal

Maps:
Hang Em High
Rat Race
Battle Creek
Damnation
Derelict
Optional (If you really wanna bring on pure hell, which... Yes, Yes I do): Prisoner, Chill Out

=================
CTF Games:
3 Captures to win
Pistol/AR Start
15 minute time limit
No Radar
10 second Respawn
5 second suicide penalty
10 second betrayal

Maps:
Rat Race
Damnation
Hang Em High
Blood Gulch
Timberland
Optional: Sidewinder, Gephyrophobia

=================
Assault Games:
3 Captures to win
Pistol/AR Start
15 minute time limit
No Radar
10 second Respawn
5 second suicide penalty
10 second betrayal

Maps:
Hang Em High
Rat Race
Blood Gulch
Damnation
Notes: These will be controversial as a suggestion. Run them and see how the community reacts before discarding them. They will be fun.

=================
Oddball Games:
5 minutes to win
1 ball
Pistol/AR Start
15 minute time limit
No Radar
10 second Respawn
5 second suicide penalty
10 second betrayal

Maps:
Chill Out
Derelict
Rat Race
Optional: Battle Creek
Notes: A fair criticism is that these may get campy, but I think given the nature of random parties in the 8v8 playlist, it won't get out of hand for most games.
Notes: Optional: Battle Creek -- It may be campy, but the nature of everyone storming a base to get the ball guy seems intense and fun. I say give it a shot.

=================
Reverse Tag Games:
10 minutes to win
2 balls
Pistol/AR Start
15 minute time limit
No Radar
10 second Respawn
5 second suicide penalty
10 second betrayal

Maps:
Derelict
Rat Race
Damnation

=================
Team Snipers Games:
Sniper/Pistol Start
200 Kills to win
15 minute time limit (much better than 20 in the event of a bunch of quitters, 12 mins may be even better)
NO radar
5 second respawn
5 second suicide penalty

Maps:
Hang Em High
Damnation
Timberland
Boarding Action

=================
Team Shotguns no shields Games:
250 kills to win
Shotgun start
15 minute time limit
No radar
instant respawn
no suicide penalty
10 second betrayal penalty (3 betrayal limit should be increased for this gametype, could result in unnecessary bans)
Maps:
Chill Out

=================
Free For All (16 man) Gametypes:
100 kills to win
Pistol/AR Start
15 minute time limit
NO radar
5 second respawn
5 second suicide penalty

Maps:
Hang Em High
Battle Creek
Rat Race
Derelict
Prisoner
Chill Out
Wizard (50 kills)
Notes: I suggest including these WITH the 8v8 playlist, because a lot of folks will really, really enjoy being thrown in both. Should increase the population significantly for the playlist.
Before we even get into the playlist, first start by removing Ice Fields, Death Island, Danger Canyon and Infinity from rotation entirely.
Right off the bat, I just want to say that I would be quite disappointed if I was unable to play all of the CE big team maps within the social matchmaker.

For that reason alone I have to disagree with this portion of your post.
Awesome post, Metal. This is how it should have been since the beginning. Hopefully they can roll this out with the next playlist update.
I have to strongly disagree with you on Ice Fields, Death Island, and Infinity. Infinity can get a bit tedious for some games, but Ice Fields isn't that big or difficult to navigate. And IMO Death Island is a brilliant map. Sure, it's big, but there's no other MP Halo map quite like it, and it can be a lot of fun, especially with vehicles. I like variety in my maps. This is a bit of a tangent, but I'm peeved we still don't have Chiron in social matchmaking, for no good reason. It's the only CE map missing. Taking out maps is definitely not the way to go. I think we should have all the maps.

FFA would be pretty neat though. And having Assault would be great. I actually got a game of Reverse Tag recently, which was a welcome surprise. Didn't know they had that in MCC matchmaking. And team shotguns should absolutely be a thing, maybe as an action sack kind of thing. I would also suggest adding race/rally games as well. BTB team race in CE with rocket hogs is a blast, and I'm disappointed we don't get to experience that on MCC. And rally is a great FFA gametype on smaller maps.

16 players on small maps would be pretty hectic, and not everyone likes that (though sometimes I do, admittedly-- I just have trouble seeing that being very popular).
eLantern wrote:
Before we even get into the playlist, first start by removing Ice Fields, Death Island, Danger Canyon and Infinity from rotation entirely.
Right off the bat, I just want to say that I would be quite disappointed if I was unable to play all of the CE big team maps within the social matchmaker.

For that reason alone I have to disagree with this portion of your post.
Perhaps the XL sized maps can be turned on with a check mark of some sort, or maybe this entire playlist can be put under action sack, and have them separate.
Sorry but I don't like any of these suggestions.... Definitely no to removing any maps from the playlist. We need all the maps we can get in the current playlist. I really don't get how you want 16 players on the mpas designed for 4-8 players.... Sounds like a complete mess of spawn killing and accidental betrayals because everyone spawning every where. On thing I like about the CE maps for BTB is they are larger and give players a lot more room, but that is my opinion.
LethalQ wrote:
Sorry but I don't like any of these suggestions.... Definitely no to removing any maps from the playlist. We need all the maps we can get in the current playlist. I really don't get how you want 16 players on the mpas designed for 4-8 players.... Sounds like a complete mess of spawn killing and accidental betrayals because everyone spawning every where. On thing I like about the CE maps for BTB is they are larger and give players a lot more room, but that is my opinion.
Dude, are you for real? You like walking around for 2 mins looking for someone on these massive maps? How many infinity TS games have you been in that DIDN'T go to the 20 minute time limit? I personally hate the current set up of 8v8. It's awful. I will regularly go 5 minutes without spotting anyone, and it's an 8v8?
WhinePie wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Dude, are you for real? You like walking around for 2 mins looking for someone on these massive maps? How many infinity TS games have you been in that DIDN'T go to the 20 minute time limit? I personally hate the current set up of 8v8. It's awful. I will regularly go 5 minutes without spotting anyone, and it's an 8v8?
Sorry for your luck but I rarley go that long and not find the enemy on the maps.
So remove 4 maps from ce btb just because you can’t find people and the map is too big? What a dumb post, if you’re not finding anyone you clearly don’t know how ce works, or you don’t use vehicles. I’m glad other people here have said the same thing.
Looks like a bloated 2's or 4's objective playlist. When 90% of your maps are ones made for 2's or 4's, you probably need to reevaluate your BTB playlist. Are there no decent BTB custom maps out there that you could pick instead?
I completely agree, I think this Playlist would be a great addition!
WhinePie wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
I'm a newer CE player that loves everything else but infinity sucks. I hate walking around the entire map and all I do is die/watch hill rotate too quick and turn around
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Looks like a bloated 2's or 4's objective playlist. When 90% of your maps are ones made for 2's or 4's, you probably need to reevaluate your BTB playlist. Are there no decent BTB Forge maps out there that you could pick instead?
The map sizes are "suggested" sizes anyway. Doesn't matter, as long as it's fun. If we want to talk sizes, infinity was originally designed for 32 people on Halo PC.

Also, there is no forge on Halo CE.
So remove 4 maps from ce btb just because you can’t find people and the map is too big? What a dumb post, if you’re not finding anyone you clearly don’t know how ce works, or you don’t use vehicles. I’m glad other people here have said the same thing.
That's actually a perfectly valid reason. If you wanna run some customs against me, you can be the judge of how much I know about CE :)
That's actually a perfectly valid reason. If you wanna run some customs against me, you can be the judge of how much I know about CE :)
You obviously don’t know much about CE and most of us here can see that, 16 player games on prisoner for example lolol. I don’t need a custom game to see that, but thanks :)
343s not going to take out 4 of the best btb maps and put maps like derelict and prisoner in btb..
Aint gonna happen, sorry! On that note I’m out

Peace!!
Questioning Metal’s CE knowledge is a bad call, bro. Personally, I’d love this playlist and play the crap out of it. The sheer chaos and action it would provide would be off the charts. The super slow, gigantic map CTF garbage that’s is CE 8’s now is mind numbing. I understand that, somehow, people actually enjoy it though. Because of that, it probably shouldn’t be outright removed. But I think small map BTB gametypes should be added to the Action Sack bucket for 8v8 CE.

Some of of these gametypes would be fine even outside of Action Sack. CTF Damnation, for example. I’ll take anything that gets me off these terribly designed, oversized nothing-burgers like Death Island more often. These maps are WAY too big for 16 people, and games on them are boring as hell.
Also, there is no forge on Halo CE.
I was referring to outside of MCC where 343 could import maps on it.
Hard VVay wrote:
Questioning Metal’s CE knowledge is a bad call, bro. Personally, I’d love this playlist and play the crap out of it. The sheer chaos and action it would provide would be off the charts. The super slow, gigantic map CTF garbage that’s is CE 8’s now is mind numbing. I understand that, somehow, people actually enjoy it though. Because of that, it probably shouldn’t be outright removed. But I think small map BTB gametypes should be added to the Action Sack bucket for 8v8 CE.

Some of of these gametypes would be fine even outside of Action Sack. CTF Damnation, for example. I’ll take anything that gets me off these terribly designed, oversized nothing-burgers like Death Island more often. These maps are WAY too big for 16 people, and games on them are boring as hell.
This is the best option. Currently there is nothing on the action sack button, this list could fill that void. Well said on all points hard way. In hindsight, I should have suggested the action sack button instead of removing everything. But to be honest I didn't realize there was anyone alive who enjoyed infinity.
I know one thing for sure, the more experienced and "seasoned" you get at this game, the more you will come to agree with the OP for his post. One thing needs to be understood, BTB isnt a lame attempt at Destiny. This isnt a game where you "explore" while you are playing against other players. The point of this game, and the way it has been since the game came out....is its about action. This game breeds competition. Thats why the game is still popular 10 + years after its release. If you want to walk around for 3-4+ minutes, and never come across anyone, or accidentally die or get killed when you reach your destination, then i would suggest playing Campaign. The maps that OP is suggesting, arent small by any means. They are still large maps, that are sometimes on the "a bit too big" side for 4v4. I think the maps and gametypes being suggested, would be a fresh and welcomed change to the existing mixture of maps / gametypes.
You obviously don’t know much about CE and most of us here can see that, 16 player games on prisoner for example lolol. I don’t need a custom game to see that, but thanks :)
343s not going to take out 4 of the best btb maps and put maps like derelict and prisoner in btb..
Aint gonna happen, sorry! On that note I’m out

Peace!!
@i steal toilets

I would pump the brakes. For one, you are 100% incorrect about your quote / unquote "CE knowledge". If you actually knew what you were talking about, youd know that the map "Infinity" was never designed with 16 players in mind. Youd also know that "Infinity" was a multiplayer map from Halo PC that was ported over to console for the direct purpose of MCC on XB1, and was designed for 32 people. Any intelligent person, even without a working knowledge of Halo CE, and how multiplayer works, would instantly know that the map "Infinity" is WAY too big for 8v8.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3