Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Objective Gametypes vs Slayer

OP PIasmaArch3r

Hello. This time I'd like to talk about a controversial topic that I've not seen discussed properly nor with reliable arguments: the fact that Objective gametypes are always below the Slayer category.

First of all, the amount of attention and popularity Slayer gets in matchmaking is easily notable in the Ranked section, which only features Objective based games in Hardcore playlists. Moreover, Arena playlists ended up being removed after an endless wave of complaints in this forum, mainly done by long term players as they seemed to be (the way I see it, the competitiveness point of view of those players is arguably as Objective takes plenty of skills, such as coordination, teamwork, placement, hiding and speed, and Hardcore/HCS/MLG always have them included in the playlist, but everyone is entitled their opinion).

On the one hand, Slayer is obviously popular due to the fact that your mission is understandable and only requires individual performance. You're not forced to protect nor to be near a certain place or map element; your movement and skills possibilities get clearly enhanced as you can play the way you want wherever you want to do it. Furthermore, the key to win is just earning more kills than the opponent, so you have to be smart and try not to be deceived by a lone player or a sniper whose exclusive purpose is killing enemies that appear in the scenary (in Objective you would have an option to scape if you are not close to the goal). Also, things like controlling power weapons/map, dual-wielding and upgrading your weapons is important to succed in an environment full of different playstyles and own decisions.

On the other hand, while the stated above is true, all of those points lack a purpose, as getting on top of the center in Sanctuary is just to get a few kills if you're sneaky enough, and not to perform an strategy to conquest an area (like in KOTH or Territories), steal a flag while protecting yours (as you can see both sides of the scenary), help a teammate get through the path to score the Bomb or defend your Oddball partner. Your gameplay suddenly gets another important factors added, and you must take into account the majority of them in order to succed. So, it's undoubtedly competitive, and as I see it, even more than Slayer, which only relies on aim, assists and certain combinations due to map knowledge and guns. Not only that; every decision you make here affects the environment, and the last weapon bullet you saved before can be useful again to prevent a player from stealing your flag. And that's without mentioning that hiding, cover strategies can give another purpose to gameplay elements like the Active Camo (in Zanzibar Slayer, it's just used to assasinate distracted players, while in Objective it can be used to score the Bomb silently).

The reality is that Halo 5 is the perfect example of a nearly Slayer only game. And even though MCC got the Match Composer, which creates variety and lets you choose whatever you want to play, population started to drop in Objective so they had to merge up some of them. As a final note, the often useless elements that the scenary features, such as rocks or moving boxed (the ones in Elongation), also get a point in Flag/Bomb gametypes.

To sum up, I think both gametypes feature a different playstyle and a way to care for competitiveness and fun. Both deserve being in matchmaking equally weighted and possible to get. So, why is Objective always neglected and given the back seat? I just can't understand, I've always loved the different gameplay it offers and the fact that you need to actually help your teammates and think out of the box, fastly and accurately. I remember that once a while an invincible enemy team gets outperformed in a Flag game, so competitiveness and skill have two different definitions.

Could you explain your position if you are not so keen on Objective and why do you think it's bad? In my opinion, it's the lack of information: most newcomers don't know how to run or to protect/hide the flag, and scenary areas are not always clearly seen in an environment full of bullets and players. Some people also don't even bother to learn how to play them properly. If that's the case, hopefully Halo: Infinite will fix that part.
Hello. This time I'd like to talk about a controversial topic that I've not seen discussed properly nor with reliable arguments: the fact that Objective gametypes are always below the Slayer category.

First of all, the amount of attention and popularity Slayer gets in matchmaking is easily notable in the Ranked section, which only features Objective based games in Hardcore playlists. Moreover, Arena playlists ended up being removed after an endless wave of complaints in this forum, mainly done by long term players as they seemed to be (the way I see it, the competitiveness point of view of those players is arguably as Objective takes plenty of skills, such as coordination, teamwork, placement, hiding and speed, and Hardcore/HCS/MLG always have them included in the playlist, but everyone is entitled their opinion).

On the one hand, Slayer is obviously popular due to the fact that your mission is understandable and only requires individual performance. You're not forced to protect nor to be near a certain place or map element; your movement and skills possibilities get clearly enhanced as you can play the way you want wherever you want to do it. Furthermore, the key to win is just earning more kills than the opponent, so you have to be smart and try not to be deceived by a lone player or a sniper whose exclusive purpose is killing enemies that appear in the scenary (in Objective you would have an option to scape if you are not close to the goal). Also, things like controlling power weapons/map, dual-wielding and upgrading your weapons is important to succed in an environment full of different playstyles and own decisions.

On the other hand, while the stated above is true, all of those points lack a purpose, as getting on top of the center in Sanctuary is just to get a few kills if you're sneaky enough, and not to perform an strategy to conquest an area (like in KOTH or Territories), steal a flag while protecting yours (as you can see both sides of the scenary), help a teammate get through the path to score the Bomb or defend your Oddball partner. Your gameplay suddenly gets another important factors added, and you must take into account the majority of them in order to succed. So, it's undoubtedly competitive, and as I see it, even more than Slayer, which only relies on aim, assists and certain combinations due to map knowledge and guns. Not only that; every decision you make here affects the environment, and the last weapon bullet you saved before can be useful again to prevent a player from stealing your flag. And that's without mentioning that hiding, cover strategies can give another purpose to gameplay elements like the Active Camo (in Zanzibar Slayer, it's just used to assasinate distracted players, while in Objective it can be used to score the Bomb silently).

The reality is that Halo 5 is the perfect example of a nearly Slayer only game. And even though MCC got the Match Composer, which creates variety and lets you choose whatever you want to play, population started to drop in Objective so they had to merge up some of them. As a final note, the often useless elements that the scenary features, such as rocks or moving boxed (the ones in Elongation), also get a point in Flag/Bomb gametypes.

To sum up, I think both gametypes feature a different playstyle and a way to care for competitiveness and fun. Both deserve being in matchmaking equally weighted and possible to get. So, why is Objective always neglected and given the back seat? I just can't understand, I've always loved the different gameplay it offers and the fact that you need to actually help your teammates and think out of the box, fastly and accurately. I remember that once a while an invincible enemy team gets outperformed in a Flag game, so competitiveness and skill have two different definitions. Could you explain your position if you are not so keen on Objective and why do you think it's bad? In my opinion, it's the lack of information: most newcomers don't know how to run or to protect/hide the flag, and scenary areas are not always clearly seen in an environment full of bullets and players. Some people also don't even bother to learn how to play them properly. If that's the case, hopefully Halo: Infinite will fix that part.
Slayer or team death match on other shooters is just the most popular mode, I enjoy objective gameplay but slayer is king .it's really just that simple
I think the problem is that, like you said, objective is much more complicated so by definition it has a higher learning curve. I’ve been playing Halo since some people I play against weren’t even born, but my wife got into it about a year ago for the first time, so I have a unique perspective of being a veteran with a second hand view from a complete noobie not just to Halo but to shooters.

The flag is the obvious objective on the HUD, so initially, she’d just run for it, run into a group of defenders and be easily killed. Not fun, I made it fun for her because I’d go with her and I we’d be formidable together, especially since we played splitscreen and could always see what the other was doing. She definately learn the nuances of the movement by watching me.

Next, she’d learn where the weapons were and usually sit at our base with a shotgun while I did attacks. She enjoyed it because there was a steady stream of people to kill and she usually had backup. When they got away, she chased them right to me.

Now we’re a really skilled duo and objective is what we search almost exclusively. But I gotta say, because of the learning curve and the complexity, I don’t think it would have been fun without her. The splitscreen is what made it fun for a long time. When we played by ourselves we tended to stick to slayer until recently. And that’s me and. Already knew the maps and skills, I basically had to shadow her for a month, without me, there’s no way she would have found that fun enough to even continue playing.

Search just objective during nights and weekends. I run with a team of five to eight and we often run across other teams. There are plenty of us playing and I search exclusively CE. I know H3 Valhalla flag is still immensely popular.

Slayer is easy, therefore it will always be king. Here’s an arena, here’s a gun, shoot everything until it’s dead. It’s that simple. No routing, no diversity tactics, no runners, defenders, snipers and all the other types of specialties that exist in flag.
I think the problem is that, like you said, objective is much more complicated so by definition it has a higher learning curve. I’ve been playing Halo since some people I play against weren’t even born, but my wife got into it about a year ago for the first time, so I have a unique perspective of being a veteran with a second hand view from a complete noobie not just to Halo but to shooters.

The flag is the obvious objective on the HUD, so initially, she’d just run for it, run into a group of defenders and be easily killed. Not fun, I made it fun for her because I’d go with her and I we’d be formidable together, especially since we played splitscreen and could always see what the other was doing. She definately learn the nuances of the movement by watching me.

Next, she’d learn where the weapons were and usually sit at our base with a shotgun while I did attacks. She enjoyed it because there was a steady stream of people to kill and she usually had backup. When they got away, she chased them right to me.

Now we’re a really skilled duo and objective is what we search almost exclusively. But I gotta say, because of the learning curve and the complexity, I don’t think it would have been fun without her. The splitscreen is what made it fun for a long time. When we played by ourselves we tended to stick to slayer until recently. And that’s me and. Already knew the maps and skills, I basically had to shadow her for a month, without me, there’s no way she would have found that fun enough to even continue playing.

Search just objective during nights and weekends. I run with a team of five to eight and we often run across other teams. There are plenty of us playing and I search exclusively CE. I know H3 Valhalla flag is still immensely popular.

Slayer is easy, therefore it will always be king. Here’s an arena, here’s a gun, shoot everything until it’s dead. It’s that simple. No routing, no diversity tactics, no runners, defenders, snipers and all the other types of specialties that exist in flag.
Yes you're probably right. I'm surprised that I got good and thoughtful answers instead of the plain "Slayer is better and that's it" or "Go play objective". Actually there is a part of the community that also enjoys these objective based gametypes.

Gonna try to search at nights and during weekends like you said, let's see if it's a bit easier to get.
Objective is just too complicated for most, the way most people choose to play isn't very fun. I see noobies just sitting in the base playing defense, but if the team is kicking butt, they will have nothing to do. It's boring. Then there are the ones who go running for the flag or bomb without shooting and just dying over and over. Not fun, I mean you can only fail so many times before it starts getting frustrating.

The ideal setup is a spawn trap, with every spawn, you should have this goal in mind. It is often unachievable, but just trying for it often clears the way enough for a teammate or yourself to get the flag/bomb plant. The spawns are fixed, in ctf and bomb, the team will only spawn in 3-4 general locations on their side. It's incredibly easy to fun flags or bombs in a spawn trap, but it's too abstract for newer players to understand.

Though it might seem like the most logical approach, emphasizing on Objective modes in ranked playlists doesn't really work in a game like MCC (outside of Hardcore stuff). The majority of players seem to think of Slayer as the most accessible mode, and accessibility is quite important where population is concerned.
I like slayer and objective, but I like playing slayer more. I search solo a lot and it is so frustrating playing objective with teammates who don't know how to play objective. When I search slayer solo, it is easier to carry bad teammates.
I like slayer and objective, but I like playing slayer more. I search solo a lot and it is so frustrating playing objective with teammates who don't know how to play objective. When I search slayer solo, it is easier to carry bad teammates.
That is a very important point you just brought up. Not many people would dare to solo-search a ranked Objective playlist, especially if party matching is not completely enabled.
Objective is just too much for some people. It doesn't really work on MCC because of the lack of party matching. If you search 2s or solo you'll likely match a team of 3. The team of 3 will almost always win. I like OBJ but only if its balanced.
Slim Haley wrote:
Objective is just too much for some people. It doesn't really work on MCC because of the lack of party matching. If you search 2s or solo you'll likely match a team of 3. The team of 3 will almost always win. I like OBJ but only if its balanced.
Well, 343i could always update the party matching to be like how it is in H3 Team Slayer.

I am not entirely sure why they have not yet made the change in H3 Team Hardcore.
Pretty much this. Objective is ok in btb but it's not that fun 4v4 when teamed up with randoms, of which at least one will idle the game away, and one will just camp for kills and make no attempt to play the objective. Then you have the griefers who run in a full team and camp uncoordinated teams until time expires, which is why I personally don't play objective if I can avoid it. I don't mind getting stomped on Slayer on occasion; at least it's over quickly.