Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

ODST and Reach free? Clarity needed.

OP ThreadShadow

Downloaded MCC on Dec 3 2019. No Gold or GamePass, ODST showing up in the store with message saying "You can use Halo 3: ODST or buy it to own." and the Install button is there. Reach has no message on the store and only the buy button.I'm getting some mixed messages. It was my understanding that ODST is included free with MCC now, is that true? I even thought that new downloads were including Reach too.Really appreciate some clarity. Thanks very much!

New info. Installed ODST, went back to campaign menu, and it still brings up the go to store and buy ODST box when trying to start campaign.

Also should I have posted this here or in MCC Support? I posted in both forums.
Did you try restarting the Xbox for ODST? For reach go to your manage game and add ons section and see if reach shows up there for download.
Did you try restarting the Xbox for ODST? For reach go to your manage game and add ons section and see if reach shows up there for download.
Tried resetting for ODST and nothing. Even though it's installed, when I try to start ODST a box still comes up and says this game is not installed want to go to the store etc... And Reach doesn't show up in the ready to install portion of game management.

If they were free for new downloads maybe when I downloaded MCC on Dec 3 2019 it was still too early? I don't mind buying ODST and Reach, but if I don't need to that would be very nice!
If you bought MCC digitally on December 3rd, you should have gotten Reach and ODST included, unless you somehow managed to buy just the base game(which shouldn't have been available as an individual purchase at that time).

If you paid $40, then that should have been the bundle that included the base MCC game + the ODST DLC + the Reach DLC.

Previously, the only options for buying MCC digitally were to buy the base game and the ODST DLC separately. These items are:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/halo-the-master-chief-collection/bpk4zkfcfl5g?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/halo-3-odst/bz8p16vh1gzp?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

But, then they updated the store by adding a bundle which contained everything for $40, but shows up with the same name as the base game(which can be confusing). At the same time they added this, they made the base game ineligible for individual purchase(it can only be bought as part of the bundle)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/halo-the-master-chief-collection/9mt8ptgvhx2p?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I'm pretty sure they made that store update in November, before Reach actually released(making the Reach purchase more of a pre-order). So, if you didn't buy this until December 3rd, the $40 bundle should have been the only option available.
Downloaded MCC on Dec 3 2019. No Gold or GamePass, ODST showing up in the store with message saying "You can use Halo 3: ODST or buy it to own." and the Install button is there. Reach has no message on the store and only the buy button.I'm getting some mixed messages. It was my understanding that ODST is included free with MCC now, is that true? I even thought that new downloads were including Reach too.Really appreciate some clarity. Thanks very much!
New info. Installed ODST, went back to campaign menu, and it still brings up the go to store and buy ODST box when trying to start campaign. Also should I have posted this here or in MCC Support? I posted in both forums.
ODST is 5 dollars i believe. It was given free to users who played the game at launch (a few years ago), reach multiplayer is included, the campaign and FF are sold desperately for 9.99 I believe. You should be able to view the dlc content by looking at the store app.
Could the problem be that I used a download code packed in with the Xbox One I bought years ago?
Could the problem be that I used a download code packed in with the Xbox One I bought years ago?
If you used an old code for MCC then you got just the base MCC. You will need to purchase ODST and Reach separately.
LethalQ wrote:
If you used an old code for MCC then you got just the base MCC. You will need to purchase ODST and Reach separately.
That must be it then. Too bad. I don't mind purchasing them though.

Thanks for the help, everyone.
LethalQ wrote:
That must be it then. Too bad. I don't mind purchasing them though.

Thanks for the help, everyone.
You should do the Bing/Microsoft rewards points. There is even an Xbox one app to help earn points and redeem them. I built up a nice little bank and used the points for a gift card and got reach for "free" so to speak. It only takes a few minutes a day to build up points.