Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

[PLEA FROM FORGERS] Remove fog on Awash & Skyward

OP Jesus in Malibu

In the midst of the update tomorrow comes joy as we are all receiving the update that will finally fix the game to the state as it should have been. Now at this point, I feel it's down to get to some of the slightly lesser important problems which still are hindering this game. The following is a plea from myself and forgers everywhere: Please remove the fog/mist effect from the Halo 2: Anniversary canvas maps "Awash" and "Skyward".

Why? The fog and mist effects on these maps are hitching the performance and overall framerate on most maps that have exceeded only ~350 objects used (out of 650). In comparison to the performance on forged maps in Halo 4, which was bad enough, this is absolutely abhorrent. Does the fog/mist serve any real purpose? No. These effects on these maps serve absolutely no addition to gameplay, nor do they support in making any maps look better (for example, the fog still flows through enclosed areas). I'm currently halfway into the process of remaking the exact same map variant I had made nearly 2 years ago in Halo 4 (which had no performance issues whatsoever) and my performance bar is tanking down by 25% in many areas of my map in Halo 2: Anniversary.

To 343 Industries and/or Certain Affinity. If you want this forge to be the best you have possibly wanted it to ever be (as it was apparent in the IGN demo): please remove the fog and mist effects from Awash and Skyward. Thank you.
So that's what's causing the issue! I hadn't considered that. It was driving me nuts that performance would start falling places for seemingly no reason. The worst though is when you're trying to use magnets...
I have over 300 objects on my map being built on Awash so far and there hasn't been a single issue with the performance other than when putting magnets together.

That said, I guess there should still be an option to disable the fog.
hEMIstitch wrote:
So that's what's causing the issue! I hadn't considered that. It was driving me nuts that performance would start falling places for seemingly no reason. The worst though is when you're trying to use magnets...
Agreed. It just seems ludicrous a next-gen game is handling maps I have made before in Halo 4 even far worse than before... and I'm not even finished with said remake in Halo 2: Anniversary.
I'm not the best at forge but I have been hearing alot of the same complaints that are effecting numerous people. I think that the fog is there to add some atmosphere to the map itself however I do agree with Nova, there should have been an option in place to disable the fog. How this made it through testing is beyond me but I do remain optimistic that 343i will do their damnedest to ensure that we get the experience that we paid for. Lets just hope it's sooner rather than later.
This forge really is one of the best yet in my opinion. If they can fix the performance issue it'll be almost awesome. The other issue I have is piece movement. Unless you're using precision movement, the piece just seems to jump around everywhere. It's weird.
thats why im using nebula only, and lighting it up. ive pushed my map to 500 items and no issues. My issue ifs the -Yoinking!- shading is back so i have to REALLY light -Yoink- up to make it visible, I love the forge improvements but for the love of GOD take shading out or give us the option to shade PLEASE
hEMIstitch wrote:
This forge really is one of the best yet in my opinion. If they can fix the performance issue it'll be almost awesome. The other issue I have is piece movement. Unless you're using precision movement, the piece just seems to jump around everywhere. It's weird.
Thats how halo 4 was for everyone....the precision editing was in reach, takin out for 4 and reinstated back into mcc for this very reason, be thankful its back at all, because if they diodnt, the pieces would just be jumping around but no option to fix it
hEMIstitch wrote:

Thats how halo 4 was for everyone....the precision editing was in reach, takin out for 4 and reinstated back into mcc for this very reason, be thankful its back at all, because if they diodnt, the pieces would just be jumping around but no option to fix it
I've forged in all of them so I used the precision in Reach. I'm glad it's back now, but the non-precision is worse then it used to be in my opinion. In Halo 4 I could move something roughly where it needed to be and then use coordinates from there. Now I can't even get something in the general area though, a quick tap or RB and all of the sudden I'll have a Console Switch go from floating a few feet above a bridge to being almost completely under it. It was bad before but never THAT bad.
Please guys, if you can help by replying/liking and getting this post noticed and/or on the HW forum home page that would be great. I have a feeling this is something that would really have to be pushed for them to fix. This is a big and important problem for all forgers alike.
Please remove the fog on Awash and Skyward. The same exact map I contstructed in forge in Halo 4 is now unplayable in Halo 2: Anniversary due to the excessive fog limiting my performance. Please remove the useless fog.
In the midst of the update tomorrow comes joy as we are all receiving the update that will finally fix the game to the state as it should have been. Now at this point, I feel it's down to get to some of the slightly lesser important problems which still are hindering this game. The following is a plea from myself and forgers everywhere: Please remove the fog/mist effect from the Halo 2: Anniversary canvas maps "Awash" and "Skyward".

Why? The fog and mist effects on these maps are hitching the performance and overall framerate on most maps that have exceeded only ~250 objects used (out of 650). In comparison to the performance on forged maps in Halo 4, which was bad enough, this is absolutely abhorrent. Does the fog/mist serve any real purpose? No. These effects on these maps serve absolutely no addition to gameplay, nor do they support in making any maps look better (for example, the fog still flows through enclosed areas). I'm currently halfway into the process of remaking the exact same map variant I had made nearly 2 years ago in Halo 4 (which had no performance issues whatsoever) and my performance bar is tanking down by 25% in many areas of my map in Halo 2: Anniversary.

To 343 Industries and/or Certain Affinity. If you want this forge to be the best you have possibly wanted it to ever be (as it was apparent in the IGN demo): please remove the fog and mist effects from Awash and Skyward. Thank you.
As a big time forger, I can tell you that fog isn't the problem. It is the type of structure that you place. Collesium walls cause huge issues when combined with collesium windows in the fps department, I have 579 objects on my awash map using mostly natural pieces and bridges etc, no performance problems at all. Also magnets cause great lag too.

EDIT: What I was talking about is that fog isn't the FPS problem, but yeah it sometimes ruins maps in terms of visual quality.
Please remove the fog on Awash and Skyward. The same exact map I contstructed in forge in Halo 4 is now unplayable in Halo 2: Anniversary due to the excessive fog limiting my performance. Please remove the useless fog.
Please stop repeting yourself just to get noticed, If people arent liking/replying it could mean that they don't want it to change.
DlCTATUS wrote:

Please stop repeting yourself just to get noticed, If people arent liking/replying it could mean that they don't want it to change.
No, I WILL CONTINUE to get this noticed. I have a right to freedom of speech and I am frankly annoyed that Certain Affinity decided to add this fog to the map. PROVE that the fog isn't the problem with the map. I have absolutely no coliseum walls on my map and it is lagging already. This is why I don't use the Waypoint forums anymore, because of people who are ignorant and attempt to prove something without proof.

I and MANY OTHER forgers alike are highly frustrated that we cannot forge our maps as we could in Halo 4. How Halo 4 forge on Xbox 360 can be handled better than Halo 2: Anniversary forge on NEXT-GEN in completely beyond us. THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED.

Why? The fog and mist effects on these maps are hitching the performance and overall framerate on most maps that have exceeded only ~250 objects used (out of 650). In comparison to the performance on forged maps in Halo 4, which was bad enough, this is absolutely abhorrent. Does the fog/mist serve any real purpose? No. These effects on these maps serve absolutely no addition to gameplay, nor do they support in making any maps look better (for example, the fog still flows through enclosed areas). I'm currently halfway into the process of remaking the exact same map variant I had made nearly 2 years ago in Halo 4 (which had no performance issues whatsoever) and my performance bar is tanking down by 25% in many areas of my map in Halo 2: Anniversary.

I've built two maps exceeding 550 items on these maps, and I only see issues while forging rarely. Oh, and I don't see any "fog" either. When you run custom games on them the performance isn't hindered at all.
DlCTATUS wrote:

No, I WILL CONTINUE to get this noticed. I have a right to freedom of speech and I am frankly annoyed that Certain Affinity decided to add this fog to the map. PROVE that the fog isn't the problem with the map. I have absolutely no coliseum walls on my map and it is lagging already. This is why I don't use the Waypoint forums anymore, because of people who are ignorant and attempt to prove something without proof.

I and MANY OTHER forgers alike are highly frustrated that we cannot forge our maps as we could in Halo 4. How Halo 4 forge on Xbox 360 can be handled better than Halo 2: Anniversary forge on NEXT-GEN in completely beyond us. THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED.
Freedom of speech is a right, being annoying is choice. Halo 4 had worse lag than H2A forge has, in my expierence.
I'd like the idea of removing the fog.
After putting down almost 20 objects and looking at the water, the performance goes all the way down and frame rate goes to crap.

I'd also love the idea of adding lights for the whole map instead of just the special fx.
Since for some reason, in forge, Awash looks normal, but when I do a custom game on Awash, it looks much, much darker.
Fog isn't causing the issues. I've hit max object limits without a hitch.
If you are using trees or terrain objects, those can cause issues if many of them are stacked inside of each other or if you are using to much glass , or if you have to many items phased within each other.
I fix performance issues by zooming in, then slowly scanning around objects until I find the item(s) that are causing the issue.
thats why im using nebula only, and lighting it up. ive pushed my map to 500 items and no issues. My issue ifs the -Yoinking!- shading is back so i have to REALLY light -Yoink- up to make it visible, I love the forge improvements but for the love of GOD take shading out or give us the option to shade PLEASE
It should be a piece by piece option. Under advanced options~ignore lighting and Cast shadows on/off
Starseid wrote:
Fog isn't causing the issues. I've hit max object limits without a hitch.
If you are using trees or terrain objects, those can cause issues if many of them are stacked inside of each other or if you are using to much glass , or if you have to many items phased within each other.
I fix performance issues by zooming in, then slowly scanning around objects until I find the item(s) that are causing the issue.
I had too many coliseum wall up at once. Bogged my map way down. Also did away with the maple looking tree.