Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Please include these special gametypes for Reach

OP Shadowrend

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Way back in spring of 2011, Bungie added some really awesome new gametypes to Reach, free of charge. I tried to find their official news posting about it, but was unsuccessful. I did however find details via a third party site known as sidequesting. I don’t intend to plagiarize, but I also don’t know if it’s cool the link the article. The gametypes in question were the following:

• Power Slayer: Rewards you for every kill by either giving you active camo, overshield, or extra grenades after each kill. This promotes survival of the fittest and makes for quick, hectic battles.
  • Bro Slayer: Variant of team slayer but allowed players to spawn on teammates exactly like how you can in Invasion. While Invasion limited your spawn choices options to an extent, Bro Slayer let you choose anyone on your team. (Thanks Omisake for reminding me about this one!)
  • Speedpile: Variant of Stockpile that allowed players to continue using their weapons, or even drive vehicles, while carrying flags. You could even carry more than on flag at a time, and they’d stick to your back!
  • Speed Flag: Similar to Speedpile, but in Capture the Flag form.
  • Hot Potato: In this variant of Oddball, the ball is actually a bomb, and will explode anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute after it is first picked up. The game is otherwise identical to Oddball. (Thanks SpiffyNoob for reminding about this one!)
Speedpile in particular was an absolute blast to play. I do hope we see these return when Reach is added to MCC. Anyone else remember these?

Edit: A few of you have reminded me of other special gametypes I’d forgotten about. If you think of any more that I’ve left out, let me know and I’ll add them to the list!
I completely forgot about those! I do remember Bro Slayer though. Which was just regular team slayer but had it so you could spawn on teammates exactly like how you can in Invasion (except you have more than one teammate you can choose to spawn on). I miss that so much, hopefully these will all come back.
I miss Halo Reach's Action Sack matchmaking mode :(
Man do I miss HaloBall...
Omisake wrote:
I completely forgot about those! I do remember Bro Slayer though. Which was just regular team slayer but had it so you could spawn on teammates exactly like how you can in Invasion (except you have more than one teammate you can choose to spawn on). I miss that so much, hopefully these will all come back.
That sounds vaguely familiar. Was that in Reach?
Omisake wrote:
I remember it. I would always have a buddy in the cave on Blood Gulch (hemorrhage) letting me spawn there so we could get the red team sniper and run back with it into the cave.
Shadowrend wrote:
Omisake wrote:
That sounds vaguely familiar. Was that in Reach?
Sure was! I absolutely loved it.
Omisake wrote:
I remember it. I would always have a buddy in the cave on Blood Gulch (hemorrhage) letting me spawn there so we could get the red team sniper and run back with it into the cave.
Ehhh right on dude! That’s what it was all about and my favourite part about it. It added another dimension to the team aspect and that was so sick.
I actually do remember Bro Slayer now that you mention it. That gametype was excellent! I’m going to add it to the list, I’ll be sure to credit you for reminding me of its existence.
Cool! I did not remember these game modes, they were definitely very good!
Did you play any of them? They were super fun. I’ve always wanted a CTF mode that allowed the use of weapons. It was way more hectic!
Shadowrend wrote:
Did you play any of them? They were super fun. I’ve always wanted a CTF mode that allowed the use of weapons. It was way more hectic!
Yes, but a long time ago. I played them when I was just starting to play Halo Reach Online
These gametypes sure sound fun and I really do hope they're added to Reach when it is added to the Master Chief Collection!
Let's not forget about Rocket Hog or Hot Potato or whatever it was.
SpiffyNoob wrote:
I vaguely remember these. Got anymore details? I’d love to add them to this list!
Invasion mode is the one I really want to see return.
I remember all of these. Power Slayer and Speedpile were both in Action Sack.

You remember the Flagstravaganza playlist? I remember voting for Speedpile on Affinity every time. That was so fun.
Shadowrend wrote:
SpiffyNoob wrote:
I vaguely remember these. Got anymore details? I’d love to add them to this list!
I remember this being the one where there is one rocket hog on the map that acts as a "king of the hill"
You have to actually drive the hog to score points, and anyone can get in the passenger seat or turret. I think I remember it from a Halo Forge Epidemic and RoosterTeeth video.
Tons of fun.
Hot potato I think was something related to that ^
SpiffyNoob wrote:
Shadowrend wrote:
SpiffyNoob wrote:
I remember this being the one where there is one rocket hog on the map that acts as a "king of the hill"
You have to actually drive the hog to score points, and anyone can get in the passenger seat or turret. I think I remember it from a Halo Forge Epidemic and RoosterTeeth video.
Tons of fun.
Hot potato I think was something related to that ^
I wasn’t able to find more info on the Warthog one, but I did find some info about Hot Potato! It was basically Oddball where the ball would explode after 30 seconds. I loved it, and had forgotten all about it until you brought it up. Added it to the list and will be sure to credit you.
Invasion Skirmish and the Spartan/Elite only variant, the drop zones spawn different things but not a single vehicle, they work on maps like Sword Base as a result (I can start a game at least) . I believe the bro spawn system is a bit more "open" too.

Zombie Ghosts, well the zombies spawn with an active camo but the real deal is the flame effect tied to them, it's not an option and is impossible to remove so you can make a normal infection gametype from that one. Spartans only of course.

3 flag CTF, there is a neutral flag and that's all, you can turn it off.

Rocket Race, the Warthog has a rocket turret instead of the normal one.

Alpha Zombies, there is an alpha zombie, that variant wasn't there at the beginning of the game.

Halo Chess, just a game of chess, you take control of the character you want to move and you actually get to kill one from the opponent if allowed. The gametype doesn't end if the king is dead. Only one thing is needed to spawn the board (a lot of flat 1x1 blocs + many Spartans and Elites) .

Halo Ball and Hockey, I don't remember which one is behind the armor walker map or the one with a Mangoose at the top.
I would like to build custom Reach forge maps based on different customs forge clubs. I can use these maps for club vs. club tournament nights. Any idea if they will allow mods to be used so special custom maps can be created?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2