Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Please remove the TU settings for Reach

OP SamTheWeebo

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. ...
  9. 10
I know this is an old thread, but a lot of the anti-TU fail to realize just how many people stopped playing reach, both social and competitive, because of bloom, armor lock, etc. Saying that the weapons are designed for a shorter time to kill is nonsense, which sequentially demonstrates that they are failing to realize that the rng aspect of bloom completely butchers the gameplay and the skill ceiling. I can't say how many times I got frustrated even in campaign playing legendary because I couldn't land many headshots in a row on grunts because of bloom, and every time I would be massacred by them. I am a hardcore halo fan, but back in the day I was a child and didn't speak English too well, so I never knew anything about the TU. I remember I started seeing the super slayer, and I would never vote for it because I had team slayer and I didn't know the difference. Of course, I was always going to favor something more familiar. So I completely agree with one of the previous comments saying that the regular player does not notice these changes.
Reach was never dead before or after the TU settings were implemented idk where that assumption is coming from but I remember the population always being fairly large during Reach's life before the next Halo game. Was never a big fan of the TU settings outside of the armor lock change which I'm indifferent about and will be spending majority of my time in invasion because it retains the OG Reach settings. Bloom isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be just pace your shots.
The issue is that people seem to think that Bloom is related to randomness, but it can be mastered as you only have to aim with the center of the reticle, along with a proper pacing. You could spam your shots in the past, but it was a worse situation as you didn't have any kind of penalty to reduce it, so it was easier to hit your target mindlessly.

As for the Reach death, it's just an assumption due to the big difference in population between the Vanilla Slayer and the TU version.
All I know is bloom was never an issue, at least for me personally it never was a problem, and it's a real shame that TU is being added turning the DMR into a weaker sniper and the Needle Rifle into a needler with range. Takes away from the original skill of needing to master a weapons bloom to perform well and just dumbs it down into a game of who can spam click the head better.
Yeah, aiming for the head actually requires skill. Is not dumbing it down, it is making the short-mid range encounters more intense and more precision based than luck based.
I know this is an old thread, but a lot of the anti-TU fail to realize just how many people stopped playing reach, both social and competitive, because of bloom, armor lock, etc. Saying that the weapons are designed for a shorter time to kill is nonsense, which sequentially demonstrates that they are failing to realize that the rng aspect of bloom completely butchers the gameplay and the skill ceiling. I can't say how many times I got frustrated even in campaign playing legendary because I couldn't land many headshots in a row on grunts because of bloom, and every time I would be massacred by them. I am a hardcore halo fan, but back in the day I was a child and didn't speak English too well, so I never knew anything about the TU. I remember I started seeing the super slayer, and I would never vote for it because I had team slayer and I didn't know the difference. Of course, I was always going to favor something more familiar. So I completely agree with one of the previous comments saying that the regular player does not notice these changes.
Reach was never dead before or after the TU settings were implemented idk where that assumption is coming from but I remember the population always being fairly large during Reach's life before the next Halo game. Was never a big fan of the TU settings outside of the armor lock change which I'm indifferent about and will be spending majority of my time in invasion because it retains the OG Reach settings. Bloom isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be just pace your shots.
The issue is that people seem to think that Bloom is related to randomness, but it can be mastered as you only have to aim with the center of the reticle, along with a proper pacing. You could spam your shots in the past, but it was a worse situation as you didn't have any kind of penalty to reduce it, so it was easier to hit your target mindlessly.

As for the Reach death, it's just an assumption due to the big difference in population between the Vanilla Slayer and the TU version.
All I know is bloom was never an issue, at least for me personally it never was a problem, and it's a real shame that TU is being added turning the DMR into a weaker sniper and the Needle Rifle into a needler with range. Takes away from the original skill of needing to master a weapons bloom to perform well and just dumbs it down into a game of who can spam click the head better.
Yeah, aiming for the head actually requires skill. Is not dumbing it down, it is making the short-mid range encounters more intense and more precision based than luck based.
It was interesting hearing the streaming a week or so ago, nearly every stream I'd hear a slight diss on bloom, nothing over the top and everyone managed it, but it was noted as a constant in game annoyance.

Getting headshots in Halo doesn't really require skill though, the game already has aim assist and bullet magnetism so these short-mid range engagements aren't intense anyways. Bloom required you to pace your shots otherwise you would miss obviously which raised the skill ceiling for any ranges. My problem with bloom being essentially removed, like stated in the post above, is the DMR becomes a weaker sniper at all ranges and the Needle Rifle is a precision needler that can be spammed at any range with no consequence to the player which dumbs the engagements down. The game being luck based is a severe over exaggeration of bloom to begin with especially with these short to mid range engagements due to players refusing to pace shots correctly which typically results in the player getting killed. Point is if the game didn't have aim assist and bullet magnetism together then the precision based gameplay would require more skill than the bloom based gameplay but since we have both of those features in the game you are basically handed the headshot if you put the crosshair anywhere close to the head.
A bit off-topic: In Gears 5 the aiming will switch from reticle bloom to a recoil based patterns. I like this more (obviously this is true for Halo too) because when two players meet, the better (gunplay) one will always win since there is no randomness involved.

Getting headshots in Halo doesn't really require skill though, the game already has aim assist and bullet magnetism so these short-mid range engagements aren't intense anyways. Bloom required you to pace your shots otherwise you would miss obviously which raised the skill ceiling for any ranges. My problem with bloom being essentially removed, like stated in the post above, is the DMR becomes a weaker sniper at all ranges and the Needle Rifle is a precision needler that can be spammed at any range with no consequence to the player which dumbs the engagements down. The game being luck based is a severe over exaggeration of bloom to begin with especially with these short to mid range engagements due to players refusing to pace shots correctly which typically results in the player getting killed. Point is if the game didn't have aim assist and bullet magnetism together then the precision based gameplay would require more skill than the bloom based gameplay but since we have both of those features in the game you are basically handed the headshot if you put the crosshair anywhere close to the head.
Allow me to respectfully disagree. It is not a coincidence that the unanimous opinion on Bloom across the competitive scene is that bloom hurts the skill gap. The only halo game where getting a headshot is easy is in h4. Short-mid range encounters are more intense if you pace your shots? You gotta play more competitive, every engagement is crucial. Nope, luck factor it is not an over-exaggeration simply because I played halo reach a lot and it always was a 50/50 chance between you winning the fight by pacing shots or getting killed by the player that was spamming the right trigger. I'm sorry but by your logic, I should have had been winning the engagements at least 90% of the times, which is still low for a skill-based game since if my shot is better I should be winning 100% of the time except when I miss. That's why projectile + latency in halo 3 is -Yoink- for MM since it messes with the skill. LAN, of course, solves this. But that's network, not gameplay, unlike bloom which remains the same on LAN. Then again, in social the bloom is just been nerfed down to 85% which appeals to what you guys want. Zero bloom is just for the competitive HCS/MLG playlist.

Also, the overwhelming majority of the community likes the TU, let's not forget about that.

Allow me to respectfully disagree. It is not a coincidence that the unanimous opinion on Bloom across the competitive scene is that bloom hurts the skill gap. The only halo game where getting a headshot is easy is in h4. Short-mid range encounters are more intense if you pace your shots? You gotta play more competitive, every engagement is crucial. Nope, luck factor it is not an over-exaggeration simply because I played halo reach a lot and it always was a 50/50 chance between you winning the fight by pacing shots or getting killed by the player that was spamming the right trigger. I'm sorry but by your logic, I should have had been winning the engagements at least 90% of the times, which is still low for a skill-based game since if my shot is better I should be winning 100% of the time except when I miss. That's why projectile + latency in halo 3 is -Yoink- for MM since it messes with the skill. LAN, of course, solves this. But that's network, not gameplay, unlike bloom which remains the same on LAN. Then again, in social the bloom is just been nerfed down to 85% which appeals to what you guys want. Zero bloom is just for the competitive HCS/MLG playlist.

Also, the overwhelming majority of the community likes the TU, let's not forget about that.
Idk what to tell ya from personal experience I never had an issue with the bloom agree to disagree
What I really don't understand about the anti TU crowd is why is it such a big deal to have only 80% bloom? No one seems to care about the other changes and most seem to like them. But everyone is acting like 80% bloom just kills the game somehow and here I am excited about it.
The reason why is it's not OG reach. Halo reach was doing fine for 9 years people learned the mechanics in and out in this feels so jarring to just change most of the game mechanics all of sudden, even slightly
I want to play Reach. As it was. As I enjoyed it. So far I haven’t played a game where I got AR/Pistol starts. There’s no jet pack or armor lock. There’s no bloom. Is this really it? Is this “Halo Reach but for people who didn’t like it in the first place”?
I want to play Reach. As it was. As I enjoyed it. So far I haven’t played a game where I got AR/Pistol starts. There’s no jet pack or armor lock. There’s no bloom. Is this really it? Is this “Halo Reach but for people who didn’t like it in the first place”?
Are you playing hardcore?

All of those things are in the social match composer. Not a guarantee you'll get AR starts, but all the armor abilities are in social.
Are you playing hardcore?

All of those things are in the social match composer. Not a guarantee you'll get AR starts, but all the armor abilities are in social.
It’s actually possible. I’ve only played 5 games and I haven’t paid very close attention to what I jumped right into but I am fairly certain it was social. Because I figured competitive would have those settings I’m not really a fan of.
Ive played years of reach and became inheritor by playing without tu-settings.
If they add it ill just keep laying og reach till the population dies out.

Edit: reduce the bloom and ill be happy but i still liked sword block and some other things since it felt unique to reach
Yeah I like the sword block made you feel like a badass
<blockquote class="box-quote" data-username="Jonny45k7236" data-postid="16">
<p>What I really don't understand about the anti TU crowd is why is it such a big deal to have only 80% bloom? No one seems to care about the other changes and most seem to like them. But everyone is acting like 80% bloom just kills the game somehow and here I am excited about it.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>The reason why is it's not OG reach. Halo reach was doing fine for 9 years people learned the mechanics in and out in this feels so jarring to just change most of the game mechanics all of sudden, even slightly</p>

Idk what to tell ya from personal experience I never had an issue with the bloom agree to disagree
Agreed I never had a problem with the bloom

I always won I would say about 75% of my paced DMR battles at mid-long range. At short to mid range if I set a pace with the bloom I would still win about I’d say, 60% of the time. Maybe even more if I was doing a good job of outstrafing the opponent. At short short range, like close quarters, I would have to admit that spamming is almost more effective of a strategy with the DMR, but it wasn’t really ever intended to be a close-range weapon anyway, and peppering a DMR user at short range with an AR or taking them on with a magnum was always an easy fix if you didn’t want to get into a luck battle of DMR spamming.
The Reach magnum is severely under rated. That thing could wreck people fast or slow. Close range all the way out to the edge of mid-long range. And since it cycled rounds with trigger pulls and the bloom reset faster you could outshoot a DMR all day long on maps like Countdown.

I liked bloom, armor lock, jetpack, those things that most other people hated lol. It was a nice change of pace from just BR spamming and jumping up and down.
Halo Reach was designed from the ground up with the bloom mechanic. Reducing or removing it completely changes the game. I know this was originally done to satisfy the "competitive" crowd, But that's totally not needed here. The "Competitive" crowd has halo ce, halo 2, halo 2 anni, halo 3 and heck even halo 4 that they can play without the bloom mechanic. The TU just disjoints how halo reach feels. You learn the game mechanics in the campaign only to find that the mp with the tu is a completely different game. It sucks. I've been against the TU from the time it was first introduced. Please keep it out of the MCC. It is completely unneeded and just makes things confusing for new players and really makes the MP side of reach feel bad.
You're right. 343 should remove bloom from every playlist and campaign! Bloom was a mistake. It hinders good aim.and adds nothing but frustrating rng.
WerepyreND wrote:
TU was an improvement in every way that matters. Invasion is the only scenario where there is some discussion to be had and even then it is not as if we are talking about No Bloom settings, only 85% Bloom.

TU settings *existing* was never the problem with Reach playlists, it was 343's failure to commit to their own update. If "Super Slayer" had been listed as "Team Slayer", nothing would have changed population wise compared to having vanilla TS. Every other TU updated playlist kept on going as normal. It was only the boneheaded decision to keep vanilla settings under the TS title that made the difference.

The average player just isn't that discerning when it comes to playlist. All that happens is they jump online to play Halo and just pick Team Slayer which is historically the most popular playlist. You could have probably switched the settings from TU or vanilla every other day and most folks wouldn't notice.

If TU consisted solely of Zero-Bloom settings, there might be an argument here, but the Reach TU with 85% doesn't fundamentally change how the game plays, it just makes more frustrating aspects of the game less of a problem.

The only problem I ever had with the TU was the health pack bug with bleedthrough settings and that should be well within 343's power to fix for this new release.
You’re majorly underselling people’s ability to tell the difference in gameplay. And the TU introduced major and wildly unpopular changes with everyone EXCEPT the MLG crowd. Who already had an MLG playlist. Super Slayer was popular for about a month. That should indicate the conscious decision that was made. Later when they separated the playlists by “classic” and “title updated”, it became even clearer. You can’t even find a game in any title updated Reach playlist on the OG game and it’s been that way since like 2014.
Reduced bloom is good. You still have to pace shots with precision weapons with the exception being the Needle Rifle which has a long TTK anyways so its fine. Bleedthrough helps full auto weapons actually be remotely good and helps the game feel consistent with every other Halo. No bleedthrough in vanilla was an awful idea.

Armor Lock needed the nerf, Active Camo needed the nerf, they're still useful and still fun only now they're fun for both players, not just the user.

Casuals have more fun with full autos and precision weapons still have a skill ceiling, but are more accessible and fun. Competitive players have a more consistent sandbox. Hell the truly hardcore crowd play on ZBNS anyways so its not like TU is even for them explicitly.

Literally the only remotely contentious thing the TU did was remove sword clanging with non-sword weapons, which while disappointing is fine.

People only play TS in 360 Reach now because its its very first playlist the game selects for you and is first in the queue. It doesn't fragment the playerbase at all, you can literally still play 360 Reach even after MCC Reach launched. I can't believe ANYONE would try using the argument that "Well TU playlists have been dead for like 4-5 years so clearly TU was a bad idea" when almost every playlist has been dead on Reach for half a decade now. Halo 4 came out, a new Xbox console released, MCC launched, Halo 5 came out, its not a mystery why Reach had too small of a playerbase to support the amount of playlists it had. That literally happens in EVERY OLD MULTIPLAYER GAME EVER. Not every playlist will stay populated, it doesn't mean anything.
WerepyreND wrote:
TU was an improvement in every way that matters. Invasion is the only scenario where there is some discussion to be had and even then it is not as if we are talking about No Bloom settings, only 85% Bloom.

TU settings *existing* was never the problem with Reach playlists, it was 343's failure to commit to their own update. If "Super Slayer" had been listed as "Team Slayer", nothing would have changed population wise compared to having vanilla TS. Every other TU updated playlist kept on going as normal. It was only the boneheaded decision to keep vanilla settings under the TS title that made the difference.

The average player just isn't that discerning when it comes to playlist. All that happens is they jump online to play Halo and just pick Team Slayer which is historically the most popular playlist. You could have probably switched the settings from TU or vanilla every other day and most folks wouldn't notice.

If TU consisted solely of Zero-Bloom settings, there might be an argument here, but the Reach TU with 85% doesn't fundamentally change how the game plays, it just makes more frustrating aspects of the game less of a problem.

The only problem I ever had with the TU was the health pack bug with bleedthrough settings and that should be well within 343's power to fix for this new release.
You’re majorly underselling people’s ability to tell the difference in gameplay. And the TU introduced major and wildly unpopular changes with everyone EXCEPT the MLG crowd. Who already had an MLG playlist. Super Slayer was popular for about a month. That should indicate the conscious decision that was made. Later when they separated the playlists by “classic” and “title updated”, it became even clearer. You can’t even find a game in any title updated Reach playlist on the OG game and it’s been that way since like 2014.
It is easy to think that here on a dedicated Halo forum, but this just doesn't track with the broader population. The overwhelming majority of the people logging in every day just are not that discerning. The only real way to test that would have been to just swap settings during certain intervals with the same Team Slayer designation.

Luckily we don't actually have to do that because the BTB population was stayed remarkably stable post TU and that is as casual as they come. There is precisely zero reasons the 85% bloom TU settings shouldn't be universally applied.

I always won I would say about 75% of my paced DMR battles at mid-long range. At short to mid range if I set a pace with the bloom I would still win about I’d say, 60% of the time. Maybe even more if I was doing a good job of outstrafing the opponent. At short short range, like close quarters, I would have to admit that spamming is almost more effective of a strategy with the DMR, but it wasn’t really ever intended to be a close-range weapon anyway, and peppering a DMR user at short range with an AR or taking them on with a magnum was always an easy fix if you didn’t want to get into a luck battle of DMR spamming.
The Reach magnum is severely under rated. That thing could wreck people fast or slow. Close range all the way out to the edge of mid-long range. And since it cycled rounds with trigger pulls and the bloom reset faster you could outshoot a DMR all day long on maps like Countdown.

I liked bloom, armor lock, jetpack, those things that most other people hated lol. It was a nice change of pace from just BR spamming and jumping up and down.
Everything you said I totally agree with
Reduced bloom is good. You still have to pace shots with precision weapons with the exception being the Needle Rifle which has a long TTK anyways so its fine. Bleedthrough helps full auto weapons actually be remotely good and helps the game feel consistent with every other Halo. No bleedthrough in vanilla was an awful idea.

Armor Lock needed the nerf, Active Camo needed the nerf, they're still useful and still fun only now they're fun for both players, not just the user.

Casuals have more fun with full autos and precision weapons still have a skill ceiling, but are more accessible and fun. Competitive players have a more consistent sandbox. Hell the truly hardcore crowd play on ZBNS anyways so its not like TU is even for them explicitly.

Literally the only remotely contentious thing the TU did was remove sword clanging with non-sword weapons, which while disappointing is fine.

People only play TS in 360 Reach now because its its very first playlist the game selects for you and is first in the queue. It doesn't fragment the playerbase at all, you can literally still play 360 Reach even after MCC Reach launched. I can't believe ANYONE would try using the argument that "Well TU playlists have been dead for like 4-5 years so clearly TU was a bad idea" when almost every playlist has been dead on Reach for half a decade now. Halo 4 came out, a new Xbox console released, MCC launched, Halo 5 came out, its not a mystery why Reach had too small of a playerbase to support the amount of playlists it had. That literally happens in EVERY OLD MULTIPLAYER GAME EVER. Not every playlist will stay populated, it doesn't mean anything.
I’d just like to point out that Halo Reach didn’t really take that drastic of a player base hit when 4 came out.

Bloom I can see your point, and that’s honestly the part of the TU that concerned me the least. I prefer the vanilla game but it’s not that big of a deal. I barely even noticed changes to armor lock or active camo, honestly, but then again I never really used them and my strategy for dealing with those abilities was always the same either way. But adding Bleedthrough? Removing Sword block? That SUCKS. Majorly. And even the “casuals” that’s aren’t being given credit for paying attention to the difference in playlists here noticed those differences, I promise. People who bothered to play at least a few hours before the title update would’ve noticed difference after. And the TU was never popular. It was a change made to the game for people WHO ALREADY DIDNT LIKE THE GAME. And the people who didn’t like Reach bailed the minute they found something else to entertain them anyway, so that left the fans to play in the non titled updated playlists. Which still to this day have a fair amount of players.
I say get rid of bloom completely in everything
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. ...
  9. 10