Skip to main content
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I have been playing MCC for the past couple weeks as I am borrowing an xbox one from a friend and he gave me his old TV as well. I have been dealing with some poor hit detection. I have mostly noticed it in H2:C as that is what I have been playing most of recently. Anything mid to long range is a crap shoot for me in every game. It doesn't happen game from game, it is every game.I don't think it is the game itself, as others have no problem 4 shotting me from distance in the same game. But it is absolutely impossible for me to do the same.

I am playing on not the best TV, but I don't think that would cause this problem..? It's a 32 inch Vizio 720p. This is it. https://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Vizio-VA320E-32-720p-LCD-TV-16-9-HDTV/7393412/product.html

My xbox is connected to our wifi, and the numbers seem good enough to me to not be causing this.
Download Speed - 77.55 Mbps
Upload Speed - 5.63 Mbps
Packet loss - 0%
MTU - 1480
Latency 38 mc
Wireless Strength - 94%

Any other thoughts on what is causing this for me? It is quite annoying get outshot when the distance is over 8 feet.

Here are a couple captures I got from today.Right off the bat. 3 shots, none registered...
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AndqYs0zcMWshQqpHd4Nhs8G6W0t

This one has a few instances. Hit camo guy right away once. After I drop down and battle Butter Around there are multiple shots that don't detect.. Same after I respawn..
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AndqYs0zcMWshQukVV3pTqdMUdff

And then a few more on this clip. The second guy I shoot at seems to take most of my bullets that time, but first guy just eats them up.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AndqYs0zcMWshQxgJtlfkOKgLuHVAny thoughts on what I can do to relieve this?
How many things are connected to your wifi?
Also those info has been recorded while playing or Not?
I have been playing MCC for the past couple weeks as I am borrowing an xbox one from a friend and he gave me his old TV as well. I have been dealing with some poor hit detection. I have mostly noticed it in H2:C as that is what I have been playing most of recently. Anything mid to long range is a crap shoot for me in every game. It doesn't happen game from game, it is every game.I don't think it is the game itself, as others have no problem 4 shotting me from distance in the same game. But it is absolutely impossible for me to do the same.

I am playing on not the best TV, but I don't think that would cause this problem..? It's a 32 inch Vizio 720p. This is it. https://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Vizio-VA320E-32-720p-LCD-TV-16-9-HDTV/7393412/product.html

My xbox is connected to our wifi, and the numbers seem good enough to me to not be causing this.
Download Speed - 77.55 Mbps
Upload Speed - 5.63 Mbps
Packet loss - 0%
MTU - 1480
Latency 38 mc
Wireless Strength - 94%

Any other thoughts on what is causing this for me? It is quite annoying get outshot when the distance is over 8 feet.

Here are a couple captures I got from today.Right off the bat. 3 shots, none registered...
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AndqYs0zcMWshQqpHd4Nhs8G6W0t

This one has a few instances. Hit camo guy right away once. After I drop down and battle Butter Around there are multiple shots that don't detect.. Same after I respawn..
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AndqYs0zcMWshQukVV3pTqdMUdff

And then a few more on this clip. The second guy I shoot at seems to take most of my bullets that time, but first guy just eats them up.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AndqYs0zcMWshQxgJtlfkOKgLuHVAny thoughts on what I can do to relieve this?
Have you tried switching to a wired connection to see if there's a noticeable difference?
I have been playing MCC for the past couple weeks as I am borrowing an xbox one from a friend and he gave me his old TV as well. I have been dealing with some poor hit detection. I have mostly noticed it in H2:C as that is what I have been playing most of recently. Anything mid to long range is a crap shoot for me in every game. It doesn't happen game from game, it is every game.I don't think it is the game itself, as others have no problem 4 shotting me from distance in the same game. But it is absolutely impossible for me to do the same.

I am playing on not the best TV, but I don't think that would cause this problem..? It's a 32 inch Vizio 720p. This is it. https://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Vizio-VA320E-32-720p-LCD-TV-16-9-HDTV/7393412/product.html

My xbox is connected to our wifi, and the numbers seem good enough to me to not be causing this.
Download Speed - 77.55 Mbps
Upload Speed - 5.63 Mbps
Packet loss - 0%
MTU - 1480
Latency 38 mc
Wireless Strength - 94%

Any other thoughts on what is causing this for me? It is quite annoying get outshot when the distance is over 8 feet.

Here are a couple captures I got from today.Right off the bat. 3 shots, none registered...
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AndqYs0zcMWshQqpHd4Nhs8G6W0t

This one has a few instances. Hit camo guy right away once. After I drop down and battle Butter Around there are multiple shots that don't detect.. Same after I respawn..
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AndqYs0zcMWshQukVV3pTqdMUdff

And then a few more on this clip. The second guy I shoot at seems to take most of my bullets that time, but first guy just eats them up.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AndqYs0zcMWshQxgJtlfkOKgLuHVAny thoughts on what I can do to relieve this?
It could be factors out of your control such as the Host Server you're connecting to. I would suggest trying Wired even if it's unpractical just for replication purposes.
Kazhuira wrote:
How many things are connected to your wifi?
Also those info has been recorded while playing or Not?
Just a laptop at times, and a phone. And that was just from the lobby screen, not during an actual game.

I will look into getting it hard wired to the xbox. I am just borrowing the xbox during the quarantine so I am not too worried, but would like to have a decent connection.

Thanks y'all!
Well bought an ethernet cable and connected it. Nothing changed... same numbers for network stats. Still horrendous hit detection.
Well bought an ethernet cable and connected it. Nothing changed... same numbers for network stats. Still horrendous hit detection.
If nothing changed between switching from wifi to wired, I'd say there's something up with your network. That should never be the case.

Just for fun though, is it only happening to you in H2:C?
No, that's just what I've been playing most. CE and reach too.
I swapped the hdmi cord and tried different hdmi port. Nothing.

What do you mean it could be my network? Anything I can do to look into that?
I swapped the hdmi cord and tried different hdmi port. Nothing.

What do you mean it could be my network? Anything I can do to look into that?
I mean, if your wireless router is outputting the same speed as a wired connection, either you have an amazing router, or pretty bad internet.

What's your advertised speed? Do you live in a densely populated area? How did you test your download and upload speeds?

I would say given the test you did, your upload speed is pretty bad based on a quick google of averages. I just ran a simple google speed test on my work computer that's based on wifi and got 70.3 download and 78.2 upload in terms of mbps.
I am advertised for 75 for download, and usually get around that or up to 80. And looking online it says anything above 3 for upload should be enough for gaming.
Not super densely populated area.. I have used simple google testing and through xfinity. Although xfinity only gives me my download speed, which on my laptop is 85 right now wireless.
When I test on my xbox I just use the setting and network testing option.
I am advertised for 75 for download, and usually get around that or up to 80. And looking online it says anything above 3 for upload should be enough for gaming.
Not super densely populated area.. I have used simple google testing and through xfinity. Although xfinity only gives me my download speed, which on my laptop is 85 right now wireless.
When I test on my xbox I just use the setting and network testing option.
What was the upload speed when testing on your laptop?

Also - just as a forum FYI, if you use the "quote" or @ feature, it sends a notification to the person you're quoting or @ing, so they know to help you with your issue.
I am advertised for 75 for download, and usually get around that or up to 80. And looking online it says anything above 3 for upload should be enough for gaming.
Not super densely populated area.. I have used simple google testing and through xfinity. Although xfinity only gives me my download speed, which on my laptop is 85 right now wireless.
When I test on my xbox I just use the setting and network testing option.
What was the upload speed when testing on your laptop?

Also - just as a forum FYI, if you use the "quote" or @ feature, it sends a notification to the person you're quoting or @ing, so they know to help you with your issue.
Same, 5.5 to 6 for upload. It is odd that it happens every game no matter what. So it doesn't seem to be too connected to network as I would think it would fluctuate at time based on server connection and other things. This makes me think it is more of a hardware thing, which could mean it is my router that isn't keeping up some how? It is 6 or 7 years old, but haven't had any problems with it ever.
At this point it is more of just getting to the root of it and not letting this defeat me, ha.

And thanks for the tip, appreciate it.
I am advertised for 75 for download, and usually get around that or up to 80. And looking online it says anything above 3 for upload should be enough for gaming.
Not super densely populated area.. I have used simple google testing and through xfinity. Although xfinity only gives me my download speed, which on my laptop is 85 right now wireless.
When I test on my xbox I just use the setting and network testing option.
What was the upload speed when testing on your laptop?

Also - just as a forum FYI, if you use the "quote" or @ feature, it sends a notification to the person you're quoting or @ing, so they know to help you with your issue.
Same, 5.5 to 6 for upload. It is odd that it happens every game no matter what. So it doesn't seem to be too connected to network as I would think it would fluctuate at time based on server connection and other things. This makes me think it is more of a hardware thing, which could mean it is my router that isn't keeping up some how? It is 6 or 7 years old, but haven't had any problems with it ever.
At this point it is more of just getting to the root of it and not letting this defeat me, ha.

And thanks for the tip, appreciate it.
I would do some router research, but it's particularly concerning to me that you got the same speeds through a wired connection as you did wireless - that really shouldn't happen, especially with a router from 2013/2014. In my experience, Xfinity is usually pretty reliable, but leave it to a company like Comcast to really bone some people over.
It's quite possible that your setup is completely fine, and you are matching up with players that are joining a server close to you while they are thousands of miles away. This results in them easily hitting you, and you not being able to hit them for -Yoink-. For some reason, 343 won't do anything about this problem. It's been brought to their attention for years. The simple fix is to prevent players from distances that are far from a server to be able to join it. Let them join whatever server is close to them and if it takes awhile for them to find a game, then they need to talk to people in their region and find out why more of them aren't playing lol....
OS Wargod wrote:
It's quite possible that your setup is completely fine, and you are matching up with players that are joining a server close to you while they are thousands of miles away. This results in them easily hitting you, and you not being able to hit them for -Yoink-. For some reason, 343 won't do anything about this problem. It's been brought to their attention for years. The simple fix is to prevent players from distances that are far from a server to be able to join it. Let them join whatever server is close to them and if it takes awhile for them to find a game, then they need to talk to people in their region and find out why more of them aren't playing lol....
Gotcha. I live in Portland, OR so you are saying I should play more west coast folk, but if I'm playing people on the east coast that could be causing it..? Why isn't it ever the other way around were I have a good connection and they don't?
OS Wargod wrote:
It's quite possible that your setup is completely fine, and you are matching up with players that are joining a server close to you while they are thousands of miles away. This results in them easily hitting you, and you not being able to hit them for -Yoink-. For some reason, 343 won't do anything about this problem. It's been brought to their attention for years. The simple fix is to prevent players from distances that are far from a server to be able to join it. Let them join whatever server is close to them and if it takes awhile for them to find a game, then they need to talk to people in their region and find out why more of them aren't playing lol....
Gotcha. I live in Portland, OR so you are saying I should play more west coast folk, but if I'm playing people on the east coast that could be causing it..? Why isn't it ever the other way around were I have a good connection and they don't?
If there was a way to ensure that you played only people on the west coast, I'm sure the hit registration would be much better. I don't even think playing against people in eastern USA is the problem. The problem is these foreign countries that are thousands of miles away being allowed to play on domestic based servers. So domestic players with good connections playing on domestic servers get punished because the way 343 implemented the net code, it gives foreign players an unfair advantage. It's backwards from what it should be. Honestly if I had that big of an advantage as a foreign player and lost to a player on the domestic connection that had no advantage, I'd probably just stop playing the game out of embarrassment. Imagine all your shots registering and the opposing team needing full clips to kill you and you still somehow lose. It would be time to hang up the controller for sure.
OS Wargod wrote:
OS Wargod wrote:
?
If there was a way to ensure that you played only people on the west coast, I'm sure the hit registration would be much better. I don't even think playing against people in eastern USA is the problem. The problem is these foreign countries that are thousands of miles away being allowed to play on domestic based servers. So domestic players with good connections playing on domestic servers get punished because the way 343 implemented the net code, it gives foreign players an unfair advantage. It's backwards from what it should be. Honestly if I had that big of an advantage as a foreign player and lost to a player on the domestic connection that had no advantage, I'd probably just stop playing the game out of embarrassment. Imagine all your shots registering and the opposing team needing full clips to kill you and you still somehow lose. It would be time to hang up the controller for sure.
That's the only reason I keep playing is because I do decent most games even with my disadvantage. I definitely have to play much different as I know I can't out br anyone from mid to long range. Lots of grenade action and trying to play smart. I just won't to have a couple games to see what's is line to not have this problem though.
OS Wargod wrote:
OS Wargod wrote:
?
If there was a way to ensure that you played only people on the west coast, I'm sure the hit registration would be much better. I don't even think playing against people in eastern USA is the problem. The problem is these foreign countries that are thousands of miles away being allowed to play on domestic based servers. So domestic players with good connections playing on domestic servers get punished because the way 343 implemented the net code, it gives foreign players an unfair advantage. It's backwards from what it should be. Honestly if I had that big of an advantage as a foreign player and lost to a player on the domestic connection that had no advantage, I'd probably just stop playing the game out of embarrassment. Imagine all your shots registering and the opposing team needing full clips to kill you and you still somehow lose. It would be time to hang up the controller for sure.
That's the only reason I keep playing is because I do decent most games even with my disadvantage. I definitely have to play much different as I know I can't out br anyone from mid to long range. Lots of grenade action and trying to play smart. I just won't to have a couple games to see what's is line to not have this problem though.
Yes and imagine how foolish the guys 4000 miles away feel knowing that they still lost when every shot they took connected on you lol. It's clear as day when my shots register and I get 0 deaths vs when there are non domestic players playing and they are actually getting kills that they would never get if they lived closer. Here is arguably the best halo CE player in the world commenting on the hit registration. Note the date the video was made. Warning... turn the volume down lol:

https://www.twitch.tv/asklegend/clip/FamousWonderfulStinkbugAliens?filter=clips&range=7d&sort=time
OS Wargod wrote:
OS Wargod wrote:
OS Wargod wrote:
?
If there was a way to ensure that you played only people on the west coast, I'm sure the hit registration would be much better. I don't even think playing against people in eastern USA is the problem. The problem is these foreign countries that are thousands of miles away being allowed to play on domestic based servers. So domestic players with good connections playing on domestic servers get punished because the way 343 implemented the net code, it gives foreign players an unfair advantage. It's backwards from what it should be. Honestly if I had that big of an advantage as a foreign player and lost to a player on the domestic connection that had no advantage, I'd probably just stop playing the game out of embarrassment. Imagine all your shots registering and the opposing team needing full clips to kill you and you still somehow lose. It would be time to hang up the controller for sure.
That's the only reason I keep playing is because I do decent most games even with my disadvantage. I definitely have to play much different as I know I can't out br anyone from mid to long range. Lots of grenade action and trying to play smart. I just won't to have a couple games to see what's is line to not have this problem though.
Yes and imagine how foolish the guys 4000 miles away feel knowing that they still lost when every shot they took connected on you lol. It's clear as day when my shots register and I get 0 deaths vs when there are non domestic players playing and they are actually getting kills that they would never get if they lived closer. Here is arguably the best halo CE player in the world commenting on the hit registration. Note the date the video was made. Warning... turn the volume down lol:

https://www.twitch.tv/asklegend/clip/FamousWonderfulStinkbugAliens?filter=clips&range=7d&sort=time
His clips are pure gold; they've been some of my favorites on Twitch for the past few months.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2