Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Possible proof that most games are P2P

OP LaGTaLiTy

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
This post on /r/halo contains lots of info: http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2vb1e0/proof_most_mcc_games_not_on_dedicated_servers/

Basically, it's P2P when the lobby privacy is $CLOSED. In those cases the "Game session leader" is the host.

You can view the lobby privacy with the X+A button combo in a MM search (wait until found players are in the lobby).

They kept track of how many times they saw $CLOSED (or heard the countdown timer) and concluded that most games are not hosted on dedicated servers.

Keep in mind that this is all speculation, but it's the best we have since 343 is mostly keeping quiet on the issue.
My opinion on this is this is false. I've gotten the "connecting to dedicated server" prompt after voting has completed. I have a really hard time believing that the game knows that you will be on a dedicated server at the very start of matchmaking when still in a p2p lobby.
Hexor wrote:
My opinion on this is this is false. I've gotten the "connecting to dedicated server" prompt after voting has completed. I have a really hard time believing that the game knows that you will be on a dedicated server at the very start of matchmaking when still in a p2p lobby.
Guy who posted the thread here. 343 said that the dedicated server prompt only pops up sometimes, you can not get it and still be on a dedicated server. In the games where I was looking to see host vs. dedicated I never got that prompt.

It has to pair people together in order to get to the voting screen in the first place, it's reasonable to assume that would be the same host it would use for the game (the best host for everyone so no one drops out). It's possible that it could use a host for the voting screen, then the prompt would come up, and it would use a dedicated server for the actual game, in which case you'd be notified.

I very well could be wrong on this, I just wanted to put it out there to get feedback and see how it is for other people. IMO it's the best way we've seen in determining host vs. dedicated, but if it can be disproven then all the better.
The best way to determine host vs. dedicated is to do some packet sniffing while matchmaking. You need to verify if the data is being connected to a known Microsoft server IP, or if it's another player's IP by ruling out that it isn't Microsoft.
LaGTaLiTy wrote:
This post on /r/halo contains lots of info: http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2vb1e0/proof_most_mcc_games_not_on_dedicated_servers/

Basically, it's P2P when the lobby privacy is $CLOSED. In those cases the "Game session leader" is the host.

You can view the lobby privacy with the X+A button combo in a MM search (wait until found players are in the lobby).

They kept track of how many times they saw $CLOSED (or heard the countdown timer) and concluded that most games are not hosted on dedicated servers.

Keep in mind that this is all speculation, but it's the best we have since 343 is mostly keeping quiet on the issue.
Does the lobby read differently on a dedicated server? I don't believe you know if its p2p or dedicated until the game starts.
I don't need any proof aside from the laggy matches I experience every time. If dedicated servers are active, it means they're terrible and something needs to be done anyway.
Have they ever released server locations ? Even if they use dedicated servers if you have a high ping its gonna be laggy
Why is P2P even a thing in MM? It shouldn't even be an option. Until every MM game is using the dedicated servers this game can't be considered 'fixed'.
Just wow.
Wow because they lied to us, saying most games are being hosted on servers.
Wow because host selection seems to have more to do with being a party leader than having the best connection in the lobby.
Wow because the countdown timer should not at all be affected by where the game is hosted.

Nice work for figuring this all out.
I know it's not on dedicated servers because of the nine games I have tried tonight seven of them have bombed after saying "Selecting host with best connection". It is a TOTAL! shambles......
Erik L wrote:
I don't need any proof aside from the laggy matches I experience every time. If dedicated servers are active, it means they're terrible and something needs to be done anyway.
This^
343's quite shameful. The way they blatantly lie right in front of our faces.
Once again another thread with absolutely zero proof that 343 is lying. I am not getting any laggy matches and my games seem to all be on dedicated servers.

People, if you want to continue using stupid statements like "you 343 fanboy sheep" then perhaps you should post real proof. Clearly people have posted the methods in which to do so. Yet people just claim that they aren't on dedicated servers because they have horrible lag among other things.

If 343 is lying show the proof. There can only be benefits to getting 343 if they indeed are lying.
You can also tell you are not on a dedicated server when the words failed to connect show up, meaning you failed to connect to a dedicated server and are now on a P2P search.
ArtooFeva wrote:
Once again another thread with absolutely zero proof that 343 is lying. I am not getting any laggy matches and my games seem to all be on dedicated servers.

People, if you want to continue using stupid statements like "you 343 fanboy sheep" then perhaps you should post real proof. Clearly people have posted the methods in which to do so. Yet people just claim that they aren't on dedicated servers because they have horrible lag among other things.

If 343 is lying show the proof. There can only be benefits to getting 343 if they indeed are lying.
Lying or not, the game lags terribly for everybody I know.
It's like saying 'We use real ingredients. Never frozen.', yet the food tastes like garbage anyway.

Running or not, I shouldn't feel like I'm playing on the internet, especially with 50/25 internet, direct connection.
F U C K these LIEING A S S - B I T C H E S named 343i. They need to FIX their game and stop feeding us BULL S H I T. It's one thing to say we are working on it and entirely another to LIE to our faces. -Yoink- YOU 343! I hope your department gets fired by microsoft and replaced by someone competent. Go eat a bag of D I C KS 343
liar liar pants on fire 343

majority on dedicated my -Yoink-

proof? my router logs show me the ip addresses of each player connecting during a session, if it was dedidcated I would only see one ip address

95 % of the time it's p2p - 343 need to relook the definition of 'majority'
Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. If I was a 343 employee, I'd be ashamed to even have this game on my CV.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2