Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

PSA About Campaign Achievements and x0 Skulls

OP ArcaneLegolad

I've seen (and felt) a lot of confusion about the Bandanna and other x0 Skulls for the Anniversary games on MCC and what their effects on unlocking achievements are. I've tested and can confirm the following:
1. They DO disable Par Time, Par Score, and general Completion achievements.
2. They DON'T affect collectibles (such as skulls or terminals).
3. They DON'T affect other miscellaneous achievements (most of the time).
Hopefully this clears things up.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that they DO disable the "Tighten Up The Graphics" and "Before and After" achievements as well. Apparently however, they DON'T affect completion achievements for some people. I have no idea what causes the difference, but basically if you're not getting achievements you think you should be unlocking, try turning off any x0 skulls.
You're partially correct on your first point there.

The 0.00x skulls will only disable time-based & par score achievements. You can still unlock completion based achievements with those 0.00x skulls enabled.

The 0.00x skulls will only disable time-based & par score achievements. You can still unlock completion based achievements with those 0.00x skulls enabled.
I've tested the campaigns of CE:A and H2:A 3 full times now (with Bandanna on). No completion achievements popped, but they did pop for the other campaigns (which I obviously didn't use the skull on, since they don't have the skull). Just yesterday, I tried playing with the Bandanna skull off, and I finally started getting completion achievements. My conclusion is exactly what I've stated above.
I've tested the campaigns of CE:A and H2: A 3 full times now (with Bandanna on). No completion achievements popped, but they did pop for the other campaigns (which I obviously didn't use the skull on, since they don't have the skull). Just yesterday, I tried playing with the Bandanna skull off, and I finally started getting completion achievements. My conclusion is exactly what I've stated above.
Well, I completed both Halo CE and Halo 2 Anniversary with both the Bandanna skull activated, and I still unlocked the legend achievement and both completing the campaign on legendary respectively.

It's probably because it takes to time for the achievements to pop up because you know, MCC and it's collection of its bugs or Xbox itself due to the player always required to be online in order to unlock achievements (that's saying if you were playing MCC offline).
This is actually really helpful. I will no longer mess with those skulls if I am going for a par time or score achievement!
I've tested the campaigns of CE:A and H2: A 3 full times now (with Bandanna on). No completion achievements popped, but they did pop for the other campaigns (which I obviously didn't use the skull on, since they don't have the skull). Just yesterday, I tried playing with the Bandanna skull off, and I finally started getting completion achievements. My conclusion is exactly what I've stated above.
Well, I completed both Halo CE and Halo 2 Anniversary with both the Bandanna skull activated, and I still unlocked the legend achievement and both completing the campaign on legendary respectively.

It's probably because it takes to time for the achievements to pop up because you know, MCC and it's collection of its bugs or Xbox itself due to the player always required to be online in order to unlock achievements (that's saying if you were playing MCC offline).
I don't think it's time in my case at least (unless we're talking months). I completed all the campaigns 3 times each over the past month or two, and have always been connected to the internet while doing so. Then they immediately popped when I played the levels without Bandanna. Since you were able to get the achievements with it on, my guess then is that for whatever reason, Bandanna MAY disable completion achievements, due to bugs or something else. Basically, results may vary.
TLDR: If you're not getting completion achievements and are playing with x0 skulls on, turn them off and you should get the achievements.
I ran the H2 Legendary solo entire campaign on with most of the non scoring skulls on including Bandana and got the Monopolized achievement. It's already known that non scoring skulls, less grunt Bday party invalidates part time and part score runs. I had already done the 3 hours part time total across MCC in CoOp Legendary. All I had to do is run H2 Solo on Legendary with any of the non scoring skull enabled and complete it. Took a few days however it popped. If you need help on part time and scores, look for Zombie Stomp 08s YT videos.
I ran the H2 Legendary solo entire campaign on with most of the non scoring skulls on including Bandana and got the Monopolized achievement. It's already known that non scoring skulls, less grunt Bday party invalidates part time and part score runs. I had already done the 3 hours part time total across MCC in CoOp Legendary. All I had to do is run H2 Solo on Legendary with any of the non scoring skull enabled and complete it. Took a few days however it popped. If you need help on part time and scores, look for Zombie Stomp 08s YT videos.
Are you a 100 percent sure about getting monopolized with the non scoring skulls on?

I've tested the campaigns of CE:A and H2:A 3 full times now (with Bandanna on). No completion achievements popped, but they did pop for the other campaigns (which I obviously didn't use the skull on, since they don't have the skull). Just yesterday, I tried playing with the Bandanna skull off, and I finally started getting completion achievements. My conclusion is exactly what I've stated above.
That might be true for the "complete level x" achievement, however you can still get the "beat every level of the game on legendary" achievements even when using stuff like scarab skull.
oGh L0RCH wrote:

That might be true for the "complete level x" achievement, however you can still get the "beat every level of the game on legendary" achievements even when using stuff like scarab skull.
As above, my conclusion after discussing this is that results vary from person to person. Before turning off the x0 skulls and playing the levels that way, my completion % for the kinds of achievements you're talking about was 0, not just the individual level ones.
Are you a 100 percent sure about getting monopolized with the non scoring skulls on?
YES. After doing ALL the other games CoOp on Legendary Par Time and Score runs and ensuring they were ALL under 3 hours each. Zombie Stomp told me that all I need to do is run H2 Solo on Legendary with any of the non scoring skull enabled. BOOM it popped. Again, Since I already had the Times and Scores achieved, Monopolized popped after killing Tatarus. Still took me about 2-3 days/sessions to complete it. I hated Regret still. You have to hit him at least 25 times cumuluative before he finally dies. Using the scarab skull sure helped getting thru various hard areas though.
oGh L0RCH wrote:

As above, my conclusion after discussing this is that results vary from person to person. Before turning off the x0 skulls and playing the levels that way, my completion % for the kinds of achievements you're talking about was 0, not just the individual level ones.
Interesting. I just went in and tested it since I still had a few levels left on Legendary. I went in and did Regret with Sputnik and Scarab Skulls on and it now shows Legendary under Difficulty Completed and my progress for the "play all of h2 on legendary" achievment also progressed. I guess it might just be glitchy for some people. I could have sworn that I used the Scarab Skull in Halo CE 2-3 patches ago but it's not listed now. Maybe I just mixed up h2 and ce, been grinding a lot of achievements lately.
I believe the scarab skull is only on H2...
After testing today, it seems that (at least for me) the x0 skulls no longer disable completion achievements. Thank you 343!
Thanks to this thread, I just got mine to unlock in ODST.

I played the entire time with 2/3 0x skulls on.(Grunt Bday & IWBYD). I got all the par time/score and level specific achievements and then started to trim my best times. I got down to approx. 2:30:00 and still hadn't seen it pop. Tried hard resetting, replaying the intro/epilogue. Nothing.

After reading about the 0x skulls and their effect on certain achievements I started Epilogue with the 0x skulls turned off and it popped right away.