Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

PSA: Playlists on Co-op (LASO)

OP Kancer On XBL

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I have recently been doing some playlist testing due to an issue I've noticed. The issue is how the trigger that checks for playlist completion is implemented. The trigger to check for playlist completion *seems* to be completing the last level of the playlist. Once the last level is completed the game will check for prior level completion. If all previous levels are complete, you get credit. If any previous levels are left incomplete (a cut-scene for instance), you will not get credit, nor will you receive any associated achievements. The only way to re-trigger the check is to complete the last level again.

I wouldn't call my testing definitive, but I was able to recreate it ~10 times between multiple accounts on the Halo 2 LASO, easy and normal campaign playlists with no variance. In addition to testing I have also reached out to people who posted about LASO achievements not unlocking in the "Achievement Progress / Unlock Reports" thread and 100% of the people who have replied to me so far have confirmed that this was their issue. I have also found other people from various outlets, all of which have confirmed it as well.

I would imagine this can happen in any of the playlists the game offers simply by joining someones existing progress without having done the previous levels before triggering the check. Although, there are some playlists that have failure built directly into them. Despite every playlists description reading "... This playlist supports co-op play", if you play from start to finish on co-op for any of the following playlists, it will not give you credit for completion.

Halo 2:
LASO Campaign
Arbiter's Journey
Master Chief's Journey
Easy Campaign
Normal Campaign
Heroic Campaign
Legendary Campaign

Cross-Game:
The Master Chief Saga
The Legendary Master Chief Saga

All of the above playlists contain one or both of "The Heretic" and/or "The Armory". Which are not playable co-op, and will be automatically skipped without notice when playing co-op. Leaving them incomplete when you trigger the check. Even after going back and finishing them solo so that your completion reads "15/15 complete", the check will not happen again until you beat the last level. For most people, that means completing the playlist again. This is particularly annoying on the LASO playlists, considering achievement hunting and the shear number of in-game hours you have to delicate to it (30+ for H2 LASO in my case). Because of this, I really hope 343i changes the way the game checks for completion. But, in case they don't, I also tested for a solution to the problem. It's not ideal, but it's the best solution I could find. It has worked every time on both the easy and normal playlists during testing, and I received completion on H2 LASO and got the Back for More achievement by doing this. By joining someone else's playlist progress you can retain that level for yourself as your own personal "resume". Meaning, as long as you have completed all prior levels, you just have to complete the remaining levels you get from that person to re-trigger the check. Not great, I know, but better than redoing the whole thing. I currently have a save for The Great Journey. If you are one of the victims of this problem on Halo 2 LASO, you can message one of the following people to pick up the save. This save has been passed on to several people, all of whom have been able to get the achievement after completing the last level.

People who have the save:
Kancer On XBL
Cizlin
HeroicASF
The Yoyo N1
I would be willing to keep it on my Cizlin VX experimental account, if necessary. Thank you for the PSA. :)

Also, I would like to add that in the MC Saga playlists, players must complete The Maw Solo in order to access The Heretic and The Armory as well. For some reason, completing it on Co-op awards completion of The Armory, but not The Maw or The Heretic, and it removes the ability to replay The Maw and the subsequent Solo missions.
Cizlin wrote:
I would be willing to keep it on my Cizlin VX experimental account, if necessary. Thank you for the PSA. :)

Also, I would like to add that in the MC Saga playlists, players must complete The Maw Solo in order to access The Heretic and The Armory as well. For some reason, completing it on Co-op awards completion of The Armory, but not The Maw or The Heretic, and it removes the ability to replay The Maw and the subsequent Solo missions.
Yea, I can't really think of a good solution to either of the cross-game playlists with this issue since they are in the middle. The least amount of work would include finding 2 different saves, the next easiest would be playing CE all over again (nothing easy about playing CE on TLMCS again), then find a single late game save. If you don't know about the solo only levels prior to reaching them, its just gonna be a really bad time.
Cizlin wrote:

Yea, I can't really think of a good solution to either of the cross-game playlists with this issue since they are in the middle. The least amount of work would include finding 2 different saves, the next easiest would be playing CE all over again (nothing easy about playing CE on TLMCS again), then find a single late game save. If you don't know about the solo only levels prior to reaching them, its just gonna be a really bad time.
Can confirm, it is a bad time, haha. I'm thinking the best thing I can do at this point is just restart the playlist with my buddy, although I could just use a second controller for most of the missions since we've both completed the CE missions up to The Maw. Missions like Truth and Rec. are painful, especially when long play sessions are few and far between, but it will be significantly less painful than going through the entire playlist a second time, so we probably just have to bite the bullet on this one (unless anyone else has already started the Legendary MC Saga playlist and is a few missions in...).
Cizlin wrote:
Cizlin wrote:

Can confirm, it is a bad time, haha. I'm thinking the best thing I can do at this point is just restart the playlist with my buddy, although I could just use a second controller for most of the missions since we've both completed the CE missions up to The Maw. Missions like Truth and Rec. are painful, especially when long play sessions are few and far between, but it will be significantly less painful than going through the entire playlist a second time, so we probably just have to bite the bullet on this one (unless anyone else has already started the Legendary MC Saga playlist and is a few missions in...).
Yea, tried my hand at LASO T&R for the first time tonight. Had to call it quits after being stuck at the lift with no snipe for an hour or so. I suppose I'll just shoot better tomorrow? lol.

I imagine it would be quite difficult to find anyone with saves on that playlist since there are no associated achievements. Just unnecessary self inflicted pain. I do wish you the best of luck though.
Thank you for this. I had been running through the MCC lifestory playlist with a friend, then trying to solo the two missions I needed but that didn't help. Guess I will just have to do the whole playlist solo.
My buddy and I are about to start Halo 2 LASO Co-op. One idea I had is, when we get to one of those levels, we both spit off to "beat" those levels solo, which would advance the playlist 1 level for each of us, then getting back together to do it together. You mentioned that you tried going back after finishing the campaign to do each solo, but did you try completing them solo before continuing to the next level together?

Also, did you post this in the Achievement Issue tracker thread?
Dieoskody wrote:
My buddy and I are about to start Halo 2 LASO Co-op. One idea I had is, when we get to one of those levels, we both spit off to "beat" those levels solo, which would advance the playlist 1 level for each of us, then getting back together to do it together. You mentioned that you tried going back after finishing the campaign to do each solo, but did you try completing them solo before continuing to the next level together?

Since that playlist has the two solo missions right at the start, you can each do them Solo, then join back together for Cairo Station. If it doesn't work, I have a late playlist save for that playlist so I would be happy to help if you do encounter the issue.

Thank you for this. I had been running through the MCC lifestory playlist with a friend, then trying to solo the two missions I needed but that didn't help. Guess I will just have to do the whole playlist solo.
You only need to complete The Maw, The Heretic, and The Armory solo for them to register. Everything else should work on Co-op. If your playlist says you've completed all of the missions but hasn't registered the playlist as completed, then you just need to beat Halo 4's Epilogue mission in the playlist, either Solo or Co-op.
Dieoskody wrote:

The Heretic and The Armory are the first 2 missions (cutscenes), so you and your friend should just have to start the playlists individually (solo), quit when you load into Ciaro Station, join up and then play the rest of the playlist normally on co-op.

I am continually inquiring about and offering help to people who claimed that their H2 LASO achievement didnt pop on the Achievement Progress / Unlock Reports thread. The problem has been completion out of order 100% of the time so far. Looking on TrueAchievements, people are still getting the Achievement who aren't posting in the thread. Given that, I would say you don't have much to worry about if you do The Heretic and the Armory solo and rejoin. But like Cizlin said, if you do encounter an issue, one of us can pass you the save.
Dieoskody wrote:

The Heretic and The Armory are the first 2 missions (cutscenes), so you and your friend should just have to start the playlists individually (solo), quit when you load into Ciaro Station, join up and then play the rest of the playlist normally on co-op.

I am continually inquiring about and offering help to people who claimed that their H2 LASO achievement didnt pop on the Achievement Progress / Unlock Reports thread. The problem has been completion out of order 100% of the time so far. Looking on TrueAchievements, people are still getting the Achievement who aren't posting in the thread. Given that, I would say you don't have much to worry about if you do The Heretic and the Armory solo and rejoin. But like Cizlin said, if you do encounter an issue, one of us can pass you the save.
How does passing the save work?
Dieoskody wrote:
Dieoskody wrote:

How does passing the save work?
The person with the save would invite you to join their session. They would then resume their playlist progress for the Halo 2 LASO playlist. After the mission loads, they would then end the mission.

You can then leave their session and continue from that point on. It is only useful to you if you have finished all of the missions in the playlist and have them registered as completed, but the playlist itself remains incomplete. You would then have to finish the playlist again for it to register, which is why passing the save works to resolve this issue (it brings you as close as possible to the end of the playlist).
My 'resume' option for H2 LASO is the great journey. So no matter where you are in the playlist, I can invite you to my lobby, hit resume, then quit the playlist, and then your resume will also be the great journey. You can take that back to your co-op partner and start up at the last level together.
My 'resume' option for H2 LASO is the great journey. So no matter where you are in the playlist, I can invite you to my lobby, hit resume, then quit the playlist, and then your resume will also be the great journey. You can take that back to your co-op partner and start up at the last level together.
I thought this was patched?
I thought this was patched?
To be clear, using the save directly will not count. You need to complete all of the missions before The Great Journey before it becomes useful, but actually sharing the save was never patched.
I fell victim on stream last night. Could you help a brother out?

Thanks in advance ❤
HeroicASF wrote:

Thanks in advance ❤
Hey there!

I sent you a message via Xbox Live regarding your issue. I'd be happy to help you out! :)
HeroicASF wrote:

Thanks in advance ❤
Unfortunately, I'm gone until the beginning of next month. Cizlin is "the man" right now.
HeroicASF wrote:

Thanks in advance ❤
Unfortunately, I'm gone until the beginning of next month. Cizlin is "the man" right now.
He was able to help me. I now have the save (and achievement) and would love to help someone else out.
Awesome, added you to the list of people willing to help.
Cizlin wrote:
Dieoskody wrote:

Since that playlist has the two solo missions right at the start, you can each do them Solo, then join back together for Cairo Station. If it doesn't work, I have a late playlist save for that playlist so I would be happy to help if you do encounter the issue.

You only need to complete The Maw, The Heretic, and The Armory solo for them to register. Everything else should work on Co-op. If your playlist says you've completed all of the missions but hasn't registered the playlist as completed, then you just need to beat Halo 4's Epilogue mission in the playlist, either Solo or Co-op.
My buddy TheGrandLunar is in the middle of the Saga playlist (normal) looking for the Lifestory achievement.
Unfortunately, we played through "The Maw" together on co-op and now he doesn't have credit for that or one of the cut scene missions.

Do we know if he can steal a checkpoint at the beginning of The Maw, play through that solo and the two cutscenes, and then steal a checkpoint back to where he currently is and continue on?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2