Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

[Locked] Quality of Life Improvements Needed

OP Velspreon

Custom Themes | Backgrounds
Alows players to comfort themselves in the environment of their choosing. Perhaps they want their background to look exactly like Halo 3’s background, or Halo 2’s background.

4 Character Service ID
Allows players to further expand on their custom characters attributes.

Custom Emblems Displayed on Armor
Instead of using default Emblems, this would make each player more unique on the battlefield.

Bots in Custom Games | Multiplayer
Allows the game to continue eternally, allowing nostalgic multiplayer after the majority leaves the game. Plus, it allows for unpopular game configurations to be played quickly.

Animated Nameplates
Nameplates keep getting better, with more color, and perhaps at some point there could be rare animated ones.

Ambient Menu | Lobby Sounds
In addition to the music, listening to echos and noises in the background makes the game experience that much more immersive, and makes waiting in the lobbies a little less boring, as you get sentimental over the sounds in the distance. These sound effects are already present in games like Halo Reach, were you can hear gunfire and other little sounds in the distance.

Black Color Added for Emblems
This would allow for more contrast between the primary and secondary color. Right now the closest color is a dark grey, which simply does not achieve the same look.

Menu Pictures Revamp
On The Multiplayer Tab, the game displays multiple pictures associated with the following: Find Game, Custom Games, Spartan Ops, Forge, Theater. These tabs all consist of Halo 4 Pictures. Instead they should either use Halo 3 (A Subjectively Better Game) Pictures, or have it be artwork like seen at the top of the Match Composer.

Custom Loading Screens
Instead of having the default loading screen, perhaps some players want to see a Halo form like in Halo 3, or Dot doing its thing during the loading screen (assuming Halo Reach is added).

Ability to see other Players Armor in the Lobby
Similarly to Halo Reach, you should be able to see other players armor choices in the lobby. Perhaps you could use the bumpers to switch between what armor from what game, since the bumpers aren’t currently utilized in the lobby.

Proximity Chat
Alows more communication, and more immersion, and a sense of realism to the game.

Party Up System
You leave the people you play with last round to avoid toxicity, but what if you want to play with a random?

Spawnkilling Penalty
Way too often does the enemy team take advantage of their numbers and spawnkill. Spawnkilling is one of the most toxic behaviors along side betraying. Perhaps you should be able to kick them after getting spawnkilled 3 times in one game.

In Game Joins
Allow players to join in an already started game. This would ensure the teams are even and prevent spawnkilling.

Halo 2A Avatars
Master Chief and Cortana have Halo 1-4 Varients but there is no Halo 2A Avatars currently.

Halo 2A Multiplayer Maps
Some but not all of the Halo 2 maps were remastered for Halo 2A. However maps like Waterworks didn’t get this treatment.

Older Campaign Improvements
Halo CE with 4 Player Coop, Halo 2 with 4 Player Coop, ability to turn off the Iron Skull in Halo 2 Legendary Campaign. Perhaps a reward for those who completed the campaigns like they originally were.
I disagree. Updates to the UI do nothing for the game or community. There's enough ways to customize a user tag so that groups can identify one another and bots should never happen. H2A won't get updates, as so few people play it that it's not worth the investment.

Bungie has made it clear in the past why true black isn't a good option.

Basically the only reasonable idea on this list is proximity chat, but has also been explained prior why this isn't coming.

Aesthetic updates don't attract consumers. They don't deter current players from continuing to play MCC. If you want a change that has a reasonable chance of occurring, you have to think like a businessperson...what change is going to sell more copies or get DRASTICALLY more people playing?

Spawnkilling isn't toxic, the team you're on is just collectively inferior and you are forced to submit. It happens. It's gamesmanship. If you suck, you suck. Submit, take the loss, and move on to the next game. You said it yourself...its the ENEMY team; it's not their job to play nice. If it was me, I'd teabag you after spawnkilling.

Join in progress would guarantee that a lot of the core player base would leave immediately and never return. JIP absolutely destroys the idea of balance and strategy. It's better to be lopsided than to insert randoms while actively playing.
Velspreon wrote:
Spawnkilling PenaltyWay too often does the enemy team take advantage of their numbers and spawnkill. Spawnkilling is one of the most toxic behaviors along side betraying. Perhaps you should be able to kick them after getting spawnkilled 3 times in one game.
This is a large part of the deep and intricate meta game found in classic Halo. Spawnkilling is difficult to perform, quite rewarding, as well as a fair/balanced aspect of any match. This is not something comparable to betraying a teammate. If you're getting rekt off of your spawn frequently in MCC, maybe start asking yourself, "why am I spawning"? Then you'll begin to understand how these games work past the most novice level of play.
Velspreon wrote:
Spawnkilling PenaltyWay too often does the enemy team take advantage of their numbers and spawnkill. Spawnkilling is one of the most toxic behaviors along side betraying. Perhaps you should be able to kick them after getting spawnkilled 3 times in one game.

Labeling spawnkilling as a "toxic" behavior isn't a fair or accurate characterization of the behavior. Spawnkilling doesn't belong in the same "toxic" behavior category as griefing, betraying, idiling, and quitting because spawnkilling is a legitimate tactic that people use when playing Halo competitively.

Punishing experienced Halo players that are familiar with how Halo's spawn system functions and are able to predict where their opponents are going to spawn at is a very bad idea. People that spawnkill in Halo are only doing so because they're playing to win, people who are playing to win can't afford to play by arbitrary honor rules because it hinders them by doing so which can cause them to lose the game. If 343i were to implement spawnkilling penalties into Halo the MCC I would immediately stop playing Halo the MCC because 343i would be arbitrarily punishing players for using a legitimate tactic.

Halo CE's spawn system doesn't protect players from being spawnkilled because grenades, gun fire, and lines of sight don't block or influence spawns, the only thing that matters is distance. In Halo CE your teammates control/influence where you're going to spawn at so it's your teammates responsibility to give you a safe spawn. In Halo CE 4v4 the spawns become kind of chaotic because you have more than one teammate controlling/influencing where you're going to spawn at so this can lead to a lot of spawnkilling. This is one of the main reasons why the main ranked playlist for Halo CE is team doubles. In Halo CE team doubles you only have one teammate controlling/influencing where you're going to spawn at so it becomes a lot easier for your teammate to be able to give you a safe spawn.
Velspreon wrote:
Custom Themes | BackgroundsAlows players to comfort themselves in the environment of their choosing. Perhaps they want their background to look exactly like Halo 3’s background, or Halo 2’s background.

4 Character Service IDAllows players to further expand on their custom characters attributes.

Custom Emblems Displayed on ArmorInstead of using default Emblems, this would make each player more unique on the battlefield.

Bots in Custom Games | MultiplayerAllows the game to continue eternally, allowing nostalgic multiplayer after the majority leaves the game. Plus, it allows for unpopular game configurations to be played quickly.

Animated NameplatesNameplates keep getting better, with more color, and perhaps at some point there could be rare animated ones.

Ambient Menu | Lobby SoundsIn addition to the music, listening to echos and noises in the background makes the game experience that much more immersive, and makes waiting in the lobbies a little less boring, as you get sentimental over the sounds in the distance. These sound effects are already present in games like Halo Reach, were you can hear gunfire and other little sounds in the distance.

Black Color Added for EmblemsThis would allow for more contrast between the primary and secondary color. Right now the closest color is a dark grey, which simply does not achieve the same look.

Menu Pictures RevampOn The Multiplayer Tab, the game displays multiple pictures associated with the following: Find Game, Custom Games, Spartan Ops, Forge, Theater. These tabs all consist of Halo 4 Pictures. Instead they should either use Halo 3 (A Subjectively Better Game) Pictures, or have it be artwork like seen at the top of the Match Composer.

Custom Loading ScreensInstead of having the default loading screen, perhaps some players want to see a Halo form like in Halo 3, or Dot doing its thing during the loading screen (assuming Halo Reach is added).

Ability to see other Players Armor in the LobbySimilarly to Halo Reach, you should be able to see other players armor choices in the lobby. Perhaps you could use the bumpers to switch between what armor from what game, since the bumpers aren’t currently utilized in the lobby.

Proximity ChatAlows more communication, and more immersion, and a sense of realism to the game.

Party Up SystemYou leave the people you play with last round to avoid toxicity, but what if you want to play with a random?

In Game JoinsAllow players to join in an already started game. This would ensure the teams are even and prevent spawnkilling.

Halo 2A AvatarsMaster Chief and Cortana have Halo 1-4 Varients but there is no Halo 2A Avatars currently.

Halo 2A Multiplayer MapsSome but not all of the Halo 2 maps were remastered for Halo 2A. However maps like Waterworks didn’t get this treatment.

Older Campaign ImprovementsHalo CE with 4 Player Coop, Halo 2 with 4 Player Coop, ability to turn off the Iron Skull in Halo 2 Legendary Campaign. Perhaps a reward for those who completed the campaigns like they originally were.
Great points overall but proximity chat would take a ton of work to get right - Considering that each halo game is coded differently,(including multiplayer of each halo game),it would take a long time to implement,though I agree,it would be coll as Bungie originally planned to add it into either Halo 2 or Halo 3,but decided not to.
Some of these ideas are good, and some not so much. That's why we have conversation.

Join In Progress- I am all for this in social playlists. Not ranked, but social, as even with match composer quitting is rampant and leads to many very unfun games. This is a sensitive issue for many though, but I am a firm believer if implemented, it should stay out of ranked

Spawnkilling- Several people have already explained why this is a legitimate strategy, and can take skill to perform (provided teams are even)

Cosmetics- I agree in being able to choose from backgrounds that have been featured in the MCC from the past, but I don't know how much work it would be to implement ones from past games (Halo 2 background), IMO if they put a lot of time into cosmetics, it should be ones that are featured in-game (a la a full armor customization suite for each game that had it originally). But more nameplates and H2A avatars should happen as I don't think those would take much time.

Bots-Would be nice for customs, but would never happen for MCC as that would entail drastic changes to each game that would require a lot of coding, might be possible in future games, but should be restricted to customs.

Proximity chat- Nice idea, but will likely never happen, again a problem of "was it in the original"

H2A Maps- Would be nice, H2A is my favorite multiplayer on MCC (that or original H2), but not likely for mor dev-made maps. H2A does have a really good forge and community made forge maps should be put in rotation for H2A matchmaking

These are the main ones I felt like throwing my 2 cents in on
Quote:
Bots in Custom Games | Multiplayer
Allows the game to continue eternally, allowing nostalgic multiplayer after the majority leaves the game. Plus, it allows for unpopular game configurations to be played quickly.
This is what I've wanted in Halo Customs from the very beginning. Especially on Forge maps.