Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Ranked Halo 3 Team Doubles

OP Legitsky

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Hello all,

Another month has elapsed this year, and the MCC has continued to see improvements and changes across the board. I can't really complain much about what additions have newly arrived recently (aside from the frequently annoying idle feature). However, the shifts in ranked playlists have been quite noticeable. And among the most contentious of these playlist changes has been the removal of ranked radar Halo 3 Team Doubles. And today, I'd like to present a case as to why the playlist needs to return.

First thing is first; why was the playlist removed? Ranked Halo 3 Doubles with radar was removed within the past few months due to the fact that it was in direct competition with the Hardcore Halo 3 Team Doubles playlist, which was the template for the DreamHack Winter 2018 Halo 3 2v2 tournament in Atlanta. Radar Doubles would have cannibalized the population of the Hardcore 2v2 playlist, and because the Hardcore 2v2 playlist was going to lay the groundwork for the first classic Halo 3 event in nearly a decade, vanilla Team Doubles was understandably removed. However, the DreamHack event has long since elapsed. The Hardcore 2v2 format for all following tournaments has been replaced by 4v4 settings, and the Hardcore 2v2 playlist has been removed from the list of ranked playlists as a result. So now, there is a gaping hole left behind for a ranked 2v2 playlist.

Now, with everything I've stated prior in mind, why should ranked radar Halo 3 2v2 make a return? There are many reasons. Halo 3 Team Doubles has been one of the most populated playlists ever since Halo 3 launched in 2007. The formula has been incredibly simple; grab a friend or search alone and queue up to match others on a broad variety of maps and gametypes. How could this simple recipe not be extremely popular? Whether Halo 3 was fresh off the boat and thriving in 2007 or struggling to survive in a post Halo 4/pre MCC era, Team Doubles was always a safe bet to find games and have fun. Players from all backgrounds would search Team Doubles. The sweatiest leaderboard kings, casual kids without mics, best friends seeking to become the greatest duo, an indiscriminate player searching for a quick match, your local tryhard looking for a good game, the list goes on. There was no shortage of population in Team Doubles then, and even in the 2018/2019 era of MCC things haven't changed. MCC Halo 3 Team Doubles was the second most populated ranked playlist prior to the major September patch, even more popular than the ranked 4v4 Hardcore and Halo 4 playlists. And within the cross game Team Doubles playlist, Halo 3 was by far in the highest demand. Some of the most popular streamers of Halo 3 would stream Halo 3 Team Doubles for hours on end and maintain the highest viewership on the whole game. Perfect record 50 attempts, solo queue Russian roulette, matchmoding challenges, clip hunting, casual gameplay or undefeated runs were some of the many options a player could enjoy while playing Halo 3 Team Doubles. All the while being guaranteed to find a match. Technically speaking, it is far easier and quicker to create a match with 4 players than it is to create one with 8 or more. And as I stated prior, the wide variety of maps and gametypes create a dynamic and diverse gaming experience. Halo 3 Hardcore 2v2 was an active and well received playlist, but it featured only 4 maps with Team Slayer as the lone gametype. So the playlist quickly felt stale to the majority of players. Radar 2v2 has literally dozens of options for maps and gametypes, making it far more distinct than nearly any other playlist. The combination of these factors (diversity, steady population, broad appeal) has made ranked radar Halo 3 Team Doubles one of the most competitive playlists in the game's history. There has always been a dedicated competitive player base for Halo 3 Team Doubles, including community tuned tournaments and competitive customs outside of matchmaking. And merely reducing the playlist to an option on the social match composer does not do it any justice. Especially with no Hardcore 2v2 playlist to compete with anymore, it only stands to reason that a ranked radar Halo 3 Team Doubles playlist would hold its own nicely. The playlist's loyal fan base and players of all tastes would keep it populated the same way they have for the past decade plus.

But that should wrap things up here. Let me know if you guys agree, and maybe this post could get some traction and ultimately attention from 343. Hopefully enough people speak up and ranked Halo 3 Team Doubles can return and flourish once again.
Nicely said
Well said.
Ranked Halo 3 Radar Doubles NEEDS to be brought back.

I could spend an hour typing up some response on why but you've basically said it all for me...

@Postums please push for this
Ranked Team Doubles was in fact the most popular and the playlist that was played by the top Halo MCC twitch streamers before the big update.... PLEASE BRING doubles back it was fun, and the playlist i enjoyed most!
Gotta honestly feel bad for all the kids who genuinely want to sweat on Arena maps like Citadel, Assembly, and Sandbox with equipment and radar on while playing as Dinos.
Definitely think this playlist needs to return. The variety of gametypes and maps dubs can be played on is unique and not having it is a big loss for those who enjoy it.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I agree as well. Would love to see radar dubs be put back into matchmaking
I'm starting to really like only playing slayer when i search 2v2, and don't really care too much about my rank. i would prefer if they added hardcore to match composer asap.
already a ranked doubles its called HCE Team Doubles u welcome
Make halo 3 great again and bring back team doubles RANKED.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.
Spoiler:
Show
Please bring back Halo 3 Team Doubles. Halo 3 Arena is extremely boring. You cant ever get a good game. Out of a 8 man lobby there is a big chance that you'll get 2-3 not so good teammates or enemies. The gametypes on Arena are pretty awful as well. Seeing as that won't ever be tweaked with I'd rather much play a 2v2 playlist which has a big underground competitive community behind it. It's much less demanding to find a game with 4 people instead of 8 people. H3 Team Doubles has always been around for years. While a lot of the Doubles community isn't very vocal in terms of communicating with 343 there is a demand for Doubles to come back. There isn't much that I cant say that Legitsky hasn't already said. If anything H3 Team Doubles has kept MCC alive throughout its dead years. Its frustrating for the people that weren't around those years are the ones to tell us "H3 Team Doubles isnt popular among waypoint" etc etc while nearly nobody that is part of the doubles community spends their time browsing Halo Waypoint or talking to the MCC team. We have had our own crowdfunded Team Doubles tournaments throughout the slow years of MCC and ALWAYS had a huge turnout. MCC is quite boring to play when its nearly all 4v4. You cant find games in H2C ranked 30+. Hardcore is very boring and stale to me with little to no substance. Lone Wolves has a lot of cheaters and is unbalanced because you can match any rank from 1-50 which makes ranks pointless. I guess what I am trying to say is BRING BACK HALO 3 TEAM DOUBLES PLEASE.

- Slim Haley
Gotta honestly feel bad for all the kids who genuinely want to sweat on Arena maps like Citadel, Assembly, and Sandbox with equipment and radar on while playing as Dinos.
I can guarantee that nearly every top radar kid could smack you in MLG settings though.
Halo isn’t halo without doubles. Please bring back H3 doubles!
If anything We need less Halo 3 in ranked, we need other playlists other than Halo 3, H3 makes up half of the ranked playlists, this is the master chief collection after all not the H3 collection. Not only that but You can already play team doubles in the composer, and if you really want to play ranked team dubs H3 is still playable via backwards compatibility.
I can guarantee that nearly every top radar kid could smack you in MLG settings though.
Well if that day ever happens, I'm sure you'll be the first to know Slim ;)

On a related note I do fully agree that there is obviously a demand for ranked radar H3 Doubles and it's silly for them not to have that as a static playlist.
The only playlist that has active players is social slayer (4v4 only) in backwards compatibility h3 out of all the options @i steal toilets
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2