Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Re-Release MCC Complete Edition physically on disc

OP GuitarHeroAero

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Hi 343,

Is there any chance once Reach MCC is out, the game will be re-released on disc? The original MCC disc is basically worthless on its own; without an internet connection the disc is the same broken mess we got at launch, and you need to download the countless updates rolled out over the years to get the fixed, functional game. Plus, a re-release could include ODST and Reach on the disc so the buyer gets the full experience in one package. Also, having it in a new box with that gorgeous gold cover art that adds Reach and ODST to the background would be fantastic (the cover art revealed for PC edition at E3).
I suspect if this does happen then it's more likely to happen around the same time as the new Xbox releases so it gives them time to add in Reach, I guess finish off Odst.
Actually the disc is still fine for local, it was more problematic when playing online like in co-op/multiplayer. Plus as far I can tell MCC will still be getting updates to improve the collection like custom games browser, etc...so the updates probably won't be stopping even if they released a MCC refresh collection but do kind of agree about the collection since actually enjoy having a physical copy that I can own permanently, yeh it is sad that Reach/Odst remaster is digital only.
That would be convenient for people that have slower internet connections, or no internet connection for that matter. The issues with the original release are so extensive that the current version of MCC basically doesn't use anything (or very little) from the original version, and essentially re-downloads the entire game digitally, even if you're using a disc. It would also be nice if you're someone that just likes to own physical copies of games, or if you're a collector.

That said, it will probably be a while before this happens (if it happens at all), as there are still a number of smaller issues with the current build of the game, like missing shaders and effects in Halo CE classic, as well the original audio being absent. Also as ronnie42 seemed to be referring to, ODST is still missing its firefight mode.

So I think it would be great, but they'll probably wait until the game is in a truly complete state, as far as offline content goes.
ronnie42 wrote:
I suspect if this does happen then it's more likely to happen around the same time as the new Xbox releases so it gives them time to add in Reach, I guess finish off Odst.
Actually the disc is still fine for local, it was more problematic when playing online like in co-op/multiplayer. Plus as far I can tell MCC will still be getting updates to improve the collection like custom games browser, etc...so the updates probably won't be stopping even if they released a MCC refresh collection but do kind of agree about the collection since actually enjoy having a physical copy that I can own permanently, yeh it is sad that Reach/Odst remaster is digital only.
I think the physical disk only contains the 4 campaigns and the multiplayer for HCE, H2, and H2A. So, if you wanted to play local splitscreen Halo 3 or Halo 4 multiplayer, you would have needed MCC's day one patch anyway. That day one patch contained the rest of the game because it couldn't fit on the disk.
Willko wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
I think the physical disk only contains the 4 campaigns and the multiplayer for HCE, H2, and H2A. So, if you wanted to play local splitscreen Halo 3 or Halo 4 multiplayer, you would have needed MCC's day one patch anyway. That day one patch contained the rest of the game because it couldn't fit on the disk.
Not sure about that but that would be pretty annoying if true since I originally bought MCC so I could have the choice to be able to play the entire game offline in case the servers ever go offline.
Maybe with a snazzy Collectors Edition too!
Considering the mcc is now close to 100 GB in size, yeah it’s no wonder it would need an online update to get the rest of the games. No disc currently has the capacity yet to have the entire game on it.
Considering the mcc is now close to 100 GB in size, yeah it’s no wonder it would need an online update to get the rest of the games. No disc currently has the capacity yet to have the entire game on it.
Yeah, it would likely have to be 2 discs (like Red Dead 2) but that's still fine by me!
Wonder what the file size will be for an upgrade to 8k?
I don't think this would be that great of an idea anymore, especially all the future potential content thats going to be added through updates and more could still be added. Most likely it won't sell very much anyway and the PC version will only be downloadable online anyway. If microsoft starts going the way of being disc-less on the next gen consoles, then there won't be much point anymore having a physical copy, especially you have to install the game off the disc on the xbox hdd anyway.
How about a "Long Night of Solace" version for people who stuck with it through the broken launch 😁
I wouldn't mind it even thought disc sales are going down unfortunately. But a "Re" Release isn't a bad idea. I am still a fan of disc because then you have something to sell/trade. Sure you don't get much for a used game but better than the nothing you get for a digital game.
How about a "Long Night of Solace" version for people who stuck with it through the broken launch 😁
Hahahaha oh snap! 😂
A physical re-release that contains both Halo: Reach and Halo 3: ODST on disc should be called something different in my opinion. Since, as a full package, it’s no longer just Master Chiefs’ story. But how should it be called?

Halo: The Legacy Collection?
Halo: The Covenant Collection?

Or
Halo: The Before The Story Took A Nose Dive Collection?
everything that brings more people to halo and easpacialy classic halo i support. would be awsome if we would have like the normal disk realaese for pc and xbox ( call it lets say heroic edition ) and then something for collectors like back in the day the halo 3 edition with the helmet or something and call it maybe legendary edition ?
It'd be pretty cool to get a full release copy of the game but I doubt it'll happen. Games are being bought digitally more and more which is also being supported hugely by Microsoft, plus with the Xbox Scarlett being released next year, it's pretty unclear what's in store for how the games will be made available, the Xbox One had a release not too long that didn't even have a disc drive so who's to say if the next generation will have them at all.
Hahahaha oh snap! 😂
Yeah that was pretty funny
This should absolutely happen. Halo: The Master Chief Collection is 100% dependent on the Xbox One's online functionality to download large chunks of the game and to fix game-breaking bugs. For the sake of preservation, the game should absolutely be released again in a couple of years in a complete state.
No offense op, but I think this would be kind of pointless as there will be many ongoing updates that you'll miss out on, if they do re-release the disk it should only be after they've finished updating the game
ronnie42 wrote:
Willko wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
Not sure about that but that would be pretty annoying if true since I originally bought MCC so I could have the choice to be able to play the entire game offline in case the servers ever go offline.
You do know you can play the whole digital game offline right?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2