I just bought the MCC digitally from gamestop, so that means those two games aren't included? They appear as installed under the setting menu but have a lock icon over them. Do I need to purchase the license key even after they've apparently been installed?
Correct, but allow me to clarify a couple of points. ODST can only be accessed by buying it for $5. Reach's multiplayer, Forge, and Theater are free. However, the campaign and Firefight need to be bought for $10. I suggest getting Game Pass since all of ODST and Reach are included with the service at no extra charge, plus you get access to tons of other great games.
When ODST was first added to the MCC there was no cost, right?

It's still listed in My Games on Xbox.com - think it will install smoothly or will I now be charged for something that was given to us at no cost before?

hmm.
Make sure you read what is included on the copy you purchase. I had to re-buy MCC after "Santa" gave my an Xbox one x for Christmas last year. Well I owned MCC on disc from launch and my Xbox one x doesn't have a disc drive. So I shopped around and saw there are digital versions of MCC with and without Reach. I made sure I got the copy with Reach. ODST was free for those of us who purchased MCC at launch and went through one of the worse launches in gaming history.

It's still listed in My Games on Xbox.com - think it will install smoothly or will I now be charged for something that was given to us at no cost before?

hmm.
It was free for players who purchased and played the game before a certain date. A some what of an apology to those who dealt with the launch mess.
LethalQ wrote:
Make sure you read what is included on the copy you purchase. I had to re-buy MCC after "Santa" gave my an Xbox one x for Christmas last year. Well I owned MCC on disc from launch and my Xbox one x doesn't have a disc drive. So I shopped around and saw there are digital versions of MCC with and without Reach. I made sure I got the copy with Reach. ODST was free for those of us who purchased MCC at launch and went through one of the worse launches in gaming history.
Xbox One X's have disc drives. The slot is hidden well, but look on the left side where the upper and lower halves meet.

EDIT: Picture for clarity.
tuhin94 wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Xbox One X's have disc drives. The slot is hidden well, but look on the left side where the upper and lower halves meet.

Haha well I guess I own both now... It is nice not having to switch disc anymore anyways. 🙂

hmm.
Yes, it was handed out for free as compensation to players who experienced MCC's botched launch in 2014.

I'm not sure with it being listed on Xbox's website, but if ODST is under "Ready to Install" when you select MCC in "My Games & Apps" on your Xbox - you can download ODST at no cost.
LethalQ wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
LethalQ wrote:

Haha well I guess I own both now... It is nice not having to switch disc anymore anyways. 🙂
The only Xbox model without a disk drive is the Xbox One All Digital Edition. It's basically an Xbox One S without a disk drive for something like $50 less.