Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Reach Firefight - ODST Firefight?

OP XGN FiReBaLl

So the Master Chief Collection will have Reach's Firefight. It has already been flighted and it has proven to at least exist, and it is very unlikely 343 & co will retract this. For those of you who don't know, ODST's campaign came as compensation to many of us free in May of 2015 thanks to our enduring of the problems that MCC had in its early months. (though granted it has been buggy only until the past year and a half or so) Those who played during the first couple months were awarded this for free in addition to other goodies (xbox live gold, etc.), otherwise it is available for 5$ (USD). Along with this came another Halo 2 Anniversary map: Remnant, which was free for all players. One thing that was missing from this nice add on was one of the major hallmark items that ODST brought to Halo: Firefight. I am not going to write a whole spiel about why firefight is great, because I think all of us who know firefight and were around back then are fully aware as to how great and important is was to the Halo community at the time.

ODST's Firefight was likely not initially included into the MCC due to a number of reasons. If I were to guess, I would say

1. There was a time constraint to get a major content package on the MCC outside of Certain Affinity's new map remaster
  2. The netcode of the MCC at the time was still too unstable to support large AI encounters over Xbox Live, as even campaign and especially spartan ops was often jumpy
  3. There were not enough resources available to be allocated to put ODST's firefight to MCC.
It seems as if 2. has at least been partially fixed, though from personal experience I do get some lag in Spartan Ops when playing with people with potato internet, though that's more than likely their problem. Seeing that Firefight for Reach is being put on the MCC, it would only make sense to put its predecessor on the MCC to make a truly complete package. Granted every map from every official Halo title minus the sample map from Halo 2 Vista (the H2EK one) is on the MCC, in addition to practically every other pre-Halo 5 FPS in game mode for every title, can we assume that 343 would indeed want to complete the package?

1. and 3. as reasons seem to largely be defunct. Though one could say that given the immense amount of resources put into the MCC as of current, it might be possible that what they have so far confirmed is as far as they'll go outside support and general love/bugfixing for the game. But is this the case?

I briefly spoke to Frankie while at Outpost in Houston as he and Max Hoberman were signing my now priceless shirts and golden Master Chief POP. I knew what response I'd get, but I tried anyways - no confirmation or denial. He did say look on Halowaypoint in the coming months, though that could mean anything really.

The main reason that they'd not put it on or wait to do so is easily resource allocation. Obviously, we cannot draw any concrete conclusions on our own. However, I want to hear some other input on this issue. What do you think? Is it likely? Is it not? Maybe it is a tentative "to do" item that won't get announced unless time tables match up? I know I'd sure as hell love to play as Sergeant Johnson.
So the Master Chief Collection will have Reach's Firefight. It has already been flighted and it has proven to at least exist, and it is very unlikely 343 & co will retract this. For those of you who don't know, ODST's campaign came as compensation to many of us free in May of 2015 thanks to our enduring of the problems that MCC had in its early months. (though granted it has been buggy only until the past year and a half or so) Those who played during the first couple months were awarded this for free in addition to other goodies (xbox live gold, etc.), otherwise it is available for 5$ (USD). Along with this came another Halo 2 Anniversary map: Remnant, which was free for all players. One thing that was missing from this nice add on was one of the major hallmark items that ODST brought to Halo: Firefight. I am not going to write a whole spiel about why firefight is great, because I think all of us who know firefight and were around back then are fully aware as to how great and important is was to the Halo community at the time.

ODST's Firefight was likely not initially included into the MCC due to a number of reasons. If I were to guess, I would say

1. There was a time constraint to get a major content package on the MCC outside of Certain Affinity's new map remaster
  2. The netcode of the MCC at the time was still too unstable to support large AI encounters over Xbox Live, as even campaign and especially spartan ops was often jumpy
  3. There were not enough resources available to be allocated to put ODST's firefight to MCC.
It seems as if 2. has at least been partially fixed, though from personal experience I do get some lag in Spartan Ops when playing with people with potato internet, though that's more than likely their problem. Seeing that Firefight for Reach is being put on the MCC, it would only make sense to put its predecessor on the MCC to make a truly complete package. Granted every map from every official Halo title minus the sample map from Halo 2 Vista (the H2EK one) is on the MCC, in addition to practically every other pre-Halo 5 FPS in game mode for every title, can we assume that 343 would indeed want to complete the package?

1. and 3. as reasons seem to largely be defunct. Though one could say that given the immense amount of resources put into the MCC as of current, it might be possible that what they have so far confirmed is as far as they'll go outside support and general love/bugfixing for the game. But is this the case?

I briefly spoke to Frankie while at Outpost in Houston as he and Max Hoberman were signing my now priceless shirts and golden Master Chief POP. I knew what response I'd get, but I tried anyways - no confirmation or denial. He did say look on Halowaypoint in the coming months, though that could mean anything really.

The main reason that they'd not put it on or wait to do so is easily resource allocation. Obviously, we cannot draw any concrete conclusions on our own. However, I want to hear some other input on this issue. What do you think? Is it likely? Is it not? Maybe it is a tentative "to do" item that won't get announced unless time tables match up? I know I'd sure as hell love to play as Sergeant Johnson.
Personally I'm absolutely convinced it will be part of the pc odst release ,and therefore the ff to console as well.( maybe for a small fee )
reasons are simple, if they want to release it as a standalone product after H3 it will absolutely need ff to pad out the content , otherwise it really comes up short on the content front, (I would them to even add some 343 extras as well like a small odst mp mode ) conversely they might as well release the campaign only with H3 or shortly after as dlc for $5 extra like they did with console . Just my 2c
stuff
Personally I'm absolutely convinced it will be part of the pc odst release ,and therefore the ff to console as well.( maybe for a small fee )
reasons are simple, if they want to release it as a standalone product after H3 it will absolutely need ff to pad out the content , otherwise it really comes up short on the content front and they might as well release the campaign only with H3 as dlc for $5 extra . Just my 2c
good point, selling a H3/H3:ODST package on PC lacking a key element seems weird. Knowing 343's past, they do not like to ship things incomplete, at least in the long run. (H5 eventually got forge, for example)

reasons are simple, if they want to release it as a standalone product after H3 it will absolutely need ff to pad out the content , otherwise it really comes up short on the content front and they might as well release the campaign only with H3 as dlc for $5 extra . Just my 2c
good point, selling a H3/H3:ODST package on PC lacking a key element seems weird. Knowing 343's past, they do not like to ship things incomplete, at least in the long run. (H5 eventually got forge, for example)
If I'm looking ahead , the pc H3 hype will be the biggest of the series if following up with odst campaign only, then the much miligned h4 , it's going to be really hard to keep the mcc hype going , especially considering everyone will be turning there attention to infinite .adding Odst firefight would go a long way to keeping some mcc hype going as console guys will also get pumped for the new mcc content, it's a no brainer to me . It will be interesting to see how it's all handled .
Quote:
biggest of the series following up with odst campaign only
Do you not think that ODST and ODST FF will be released at the same time on pc? But at a later date? After H4 even? I'm losing track of what your saying XD
Quote:
biggest of the series following up with odst campaign only
Do you not think that ODST and ODST FF will be released at the same time on pc? But at a later date? After H4 even? I'm losing track of what your saying XD
As it stands 343 have said odst will release after H3 , they haven't stated whether ff will be in the package or not ( if I recall correctly) after odst then it's H4 turn I have literally no idea what 343 will or won't do with odst ff for console and pc ,
Ah, I see. I guess my confusion was just with your estimate as to what they would do with FF? Sorry for the confusion.
I think the moderators need to condense the ODST Firefight threads into one to post under. We got multiple made already. We all know we want to see this!