Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Reach: What exactly is TU slayer?

OP Geth Pathfinder

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I know that it reduces bloom, adds bleed through with guns and melees, and reduces the power or armor lock. However, can anyone tell me every thing that it does and why it’s named “TU”? This might be my imagination but I feel like the Jetpack doesn’t last quite as long. Also the AR seems to be useless in TU Slayer. In other Halos, the AR was effective at very close range but I see DMR players beating AR player at all ranges. There’s simply no reason to switch to it unless you’re out of ammo.
"TU" stands for Title Update. Basically, back when Halo: Reach was released for the Xbox 360, there was a divide in the community where one half hated bloom and the other have didn't mind it. To compromise, Bungie released a Title Update which reduced bloom in some game modes.
x N7 117 x wrote:
"TU" stands for Title Update. Basically, back when Halo: Reach was released for the Xbox 360, there was a divide in the community where one half hated bloom and the other have didn't mind it. To compromise, Bungie released a Title Update which reduced bloom in some game modes.
This I'm guessing this was based on the most balanced Title Update because Armor Lock was broken for so long when the grenades and Jet Packs got a nerf from the BETA.
There's some good information in the November development update.
The title update effectively just a patch, that was just what they called the big updates that H2, H3, and Reach. In any sane world they just would have applied the patch universally instead of in this half-baked manner.

As for the AR it was always bad at its job. The Time of kill of the DMR didn't change and vanilla bloom didn't matter at the ranges where the AR could be used, automatic weapons had been underpowered since Halo 2 and Reach was no different. If anything the TU gives the autos a big melee boost from bleedthrough.
WerepyreND wrote:
The title update effectively just a patch, that was just what they called the big updates that H2, H3, and Reach. In any sane world they just would have applied the patch universally instead of in this half-baked manner.

As for the AR it was always bad at its job. The Time of kill of the DMR didn't change and vanilla bloom didn't matter at the ranges where the AR could be used, automatic weapons had been underpowered since Halo 2 and Reach was no different. If anything the TU gives the autos a big melee boost from bleedthrough.
Thank God they didn’t universally apply it as that would’ve been the biggest mistake they’d ever made and frankly a giant middle finger to over half the the player base. But they understood that, which is why they did it the way they did. The title update was a watered down Reach for players who didn’t even like Reach multiplayer or any of its changes in the first place, people that essentially wanted Halo 3: 2: Electric Boogaloo.
x N7 117 x wrote:
Fun fact, 343i's first big thing they ever did for Halo was the TU. None of that was Bungie, surprisingly enough.
Read more about the specific changes with the Title Update here on Halopedia.

I see some people crediting the update to Bungie, but it was actually implemented by 343 after Bungie "passed the torch" so to speak.

As someone who played Reach from launch to the release of Halo 4, overall I think the Title Update was a massive improvement. The main takeaways being the re-addition of Bleedthrough from melee attacks, as well as the re-balancing of Armor Lock.

Spoiler:
Show
That said I am shocked (and also glad) that 343 made the Title Update the standard way to play Halo: Reach in MCC. It surprises me, because I recall when playing classic Halo: Reach, one of the only places to play the Title Update was in Super Slayer. If I remember right, Super Slayer was 5v5 and 75 kills to win. Because it was not listed as the main/standard Team Slayer game mode, it always had less population than regular Team Slayer.

This means the majority of people still just played Vanilla Halo: Reach. Again, I am surprised that 343 chose the Title Update as the standard for MCC's Halo: Reach, but I also agree with their decision.
JB Linken wrote:
Read more about the specific changes with the Title Update here on Halopedia.

I see some people crediting the update to Bungie, but it was actually implemented by 343 after Bungie "passed the torch" so to speak.

As someone who played Reach from launch to the release of Halo 4, overall I think the Title Update was a massive improvement. The main takeaways being the re-addition of Bleedthrough from melee attacks, as well as the re-balancing of Armor Lock.

Spoiler:
Show
That said I am shocked (and also glad) that 343 made the Title Update the standard way to play Halo: Reach in MCC. It surprises me, because I recall when playing classic Halo: Reach, one of the only places to play the Title Update was in Super Slayer. If I remember right, Super Slayer was 5v5 and 75 kills to win. Because it was not listed as the main/standard Team Slayer game mode, it always had less population than regular Team Slayer.

This means the majority of people still just played Vanilla Halo: Reach. Again, I am surprised that 343 chose the Title Update as the standard for MCC's Halo: Reach, but I also agree with their decision.
I find it pretty smart how they are handling Reach this time. With how far into Reach's lifespan the original TU came, it made sense why it wouldn't be the default way to play since it risked alienating all those who didnt care about the bloom and were used to it. Now with the MCC version of Reach this isnt an issue as now its pretty much a fresh start.
JB Linken wrote:
Read more about the specific changes with the Title Update here on Halopedia.I see some people crediting the update to Bungie, but it was actually implemented by 343 after Bungie "passed the torch" so to speak.

Spoiler:
Show

I'm not sure if i agree with the use of TU Slayer or not, however, I like the consistency. All modes are TU instead of having different playlists with TU settings. It makes sense that 343i would choose this route since they're the ones who implemented it. In general, I'm liking the MCC version of Reach more than the original. The rank system is much easier and more straightforward, the frame rate is smoother, and there's more people. I never got to play Reach in its prime and this is my second chance.
JB Linken wrote:
Read more about the specific changes with the Title Update here on Halopedia.I see some people crediting the update to Bungie, but it was actually implemented by 343 after Bungie "passed the torch" so to speak.

Spoiler:
Show

I'm not sure if i agree with the use of TU Slayer or not, however, I like the consistency. All modes are TU instead of having different playlists with TU settings. It makes sense that 343i would choose this route since they're the ones who implemented it. In general, I'm liking the MCC version of Reach more than the original. The rank system is much easier and more straightforward, the frame rate is smoother, and there's more people. I never got to play Reach in its prime and this is my second chance.
To add to this, the Invasion playlist does not feature the Title Update. So that option is still available to those that want Vanilla Halo: Reach in some capacity.
WerepyreND wrote:

Thank God they didn’t universally apply it as that would’ve been the biggest mistake they’d ever made and frankly a giant middle finger to over half the the player base. But they understood that, which is why they did it the way they did. The title update was a watered down Reach for players who didn’t even like Reach multiplayer or any of its changes in the first place, people that essentially wanted Halo 3: 2: Electric Boogaloo.
Half is a stretch there friend, having an opposing camp =/= two equal camps. And the greater point is that you either patch the game or you don't and you don't apply it inconsistently like they did originally. Thankfully with the exception of Invasion they have fixed that mistake, even though Invasion should absolutely be TU as well.

You don't have to be an unquestioning fan to want a game you enjoy a game you wish would be improved in one way or another. Would you make that same argument that fans of the Halo 2 TU just wanted Halo 1: 2: Electric Boogaloo? Or any other Halo update for that matter?
Camo also doesn't last as long with TU settings.
WerepyreND wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:

Half is a stretch there friend, having an opposing camp =/= two equal camps. And the greater point is that you either patch the game or you don't and you don't apply it inconsistently like they did originally. Thankfully with the exception of Invasion they have fixed that mistake, even though Invasion should absolutely be TU as well.

You don't have to be an unquestioning fan to want a game you enjoy a game you wish would be improved in one way or another. Would you make that same argument that fans of the Halo 2 TU just wanted Halo 1: 2: Electric Boogaloo? Or any other Halo update for that matter?
Yeah, I would actually make that argument if the situations were more similar but they aren’t. With Reach it’s particularly more egregious because the TU violates the way the game originally plays in its entirety. It literally turns it into Halo 3 with jet packs. Particularly Bleedthrough, the lack of sword block and the fact that everyone can just spam every weapon and get kills EASIER due to the Bleedthrough makes it just about the same as any of the other games instead of its own, just with a few new abilities and maps. Outside of these forums I don’t know a single person that likes the TU settings. I know a few people who hated Reach, but rather than complaining about the game and ruining the whole thing for those who did like it, they played something else.
WerepyreND wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:

Yeah, I would actually make that argument if the situations were more similar but they aren’t. With Reach it’s particularly more egregious because the TU violates the way the game originally plays in its entirety. It literally turns it into Halo 3 with jet packs. Particularly Bleedthrough, the lack of sword block and the fact that everyone can just spam every weapon and get kills EASIER due to the Bleedthrough makes it just about the same as any of the other games instead of its own, just with a few new abilities and maps. Outside of these forums I don’t know a single person that likes the TU settings. I know a few people who hated Reach, but rather than complaining about the game and ruining the whole thing for those who did like it, they played something else.
They are not similar because you don't want them to be. The idea that vanilla bloom and no-bleedthrough are the only defining features is absurd. I also hate to tell you this, but to the wider gaming public, Reach was always Halo 3 with Jetpacks...

You can "spam" exactly one weapon, the Needle Rifle, which was little more than a pink DMR prior to the patch and once they adjusted the damage to account for bleedthrough, the minimum TTK didn't change for any weapon(which were already incredibly slow by Halo standards). Y'all are drastically overstating how much the TU actually changed on a level beyond mere balance tweaks. Bleedthrough is probably the biggest change that can't be considered a simple balance tweak, and even there it was not like it never existed, it was just inconsistently applied across damage types.

Your personal anecdotes are irrelevant. Clearly there was a demographic playing the game that wanted these changes otherwise they wouldn't have happened in the first place. Maybe you should just Adapt....
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
Spoiler:
Show
To add to this, the Invasion playlist does not feature the Title Update. So that option is still available to those that want Vanilla Halo: Reach in some capacity.
Interesting. I wasn’t aware that Invasion doesn’t use TU settings. I’ve been sticking to the social settings in match composer. Mostly 4v4 and a little BTB.

Quote:
J my Angel Camo also doesn't last as long with TU settings.
I was wondering about this. Thanks for the info. Honestly, I can’t tell the difference in most of the TU settings. The only obvious ones are bleed through and armor lock.
x N7 117 x wrote:
This should be removed especially because some hated it and others didn't mind it, meaning they probably wouldn't care either way. The bloom with the reduction is still crippling in such an annoying way. I honestly hope they just do away with it completely.
DIlzZzY wrote:
x N7 117 x wrote:
This should be removed especially because some hated it and others didn't mind it, meaning they probably wouldn't care either way. The bloom with the reduction is still crippling in such an annoying way. I honestly hope they just do away with it completely.
That was my hope. The Reach Tu totally killed Halo Reach for me and many others. 343's first move was to remove the DLC playlist, Second move was the whole TU mess, Third thing was HCE Anniversary which was okay overall but again shot reach in the legs by having yet another type of gameplay added. The game was going fairly smoothly until 343 started messing with it. The DLC playlist had the lowest population, but it guaranteed that people could play the maps if they had them and once it was removed you basically never played the maps even when they were finally released for free. Their TU playlist population dropped like a rock after they released it to a population far lower than the DLC playlist ever was. It should have been noticed as a huge mistake and been removed. It was made for people that missed halo 2 and 3. There is no need for it in the MCC. I was so sure they would just drop it quietly and bring halo reach over, but no they still felt good about their work. So here we are. I haven't bought the reach game for the MCC and I stopped my live account. I may get the game I may start my live account again at some point, but right now it seems pointless. They haven't even fixed the other campaigns that were put into mcc and I hear that the reach campaign also has some problems. I think they are kind of incapable of managing Halo. They have given it a good try though. At this point I have 0 hype or interest in the halo infinite thing either.
DIlzZzY wrote:
x N7 117 x wrote:
That was my hope. The Reach Tu totally killed Halo Reach for me and many others. 343's first move was to remove the DLC playlist, Second move was the whole TU mess, Third thing was HCE Anniversary which was okay overall but again shot reach in the legs by having yet another type of gameplay added. The game was going fairly smoothly until 343 started messing with it. The DLC playlist had the lowest population, but it guaranteed that people could play the maps if they had them and once it was removed you basically never played the maps even when they were finally released for free. Their TU playlist population dropped like a rock after they released it to a population far lower than the DLC playlist ever was. It should have been noticed as a huge mistake and been removed. It was made for people that missed halo 2 and 3. There is no need for it in the MCC. I was so sure they would just drop it quietly and bring halo reach over, but no they still felt good about their work. So here we are. I haven't bought the reach game for the MCC and I stopped my live account. I may get the game I may start my live account again at some point, but right now it seems pointless. They haven't even fixed the other campaigns that were put into mcc and I hear that the reach campaign also has some problems. I think they are kind of incapable of managing Halo. They have given it a good try though. At this point I have 0 hype or interest in the halo infinite thing either.
Well I can’t say anything about what 343i did to OG Halo Reach’s multiplayer since I didn’t have Xbox Live back then but they do deserve some credit now. Yes, the MCC was a total mess at launch and still has flaws; however, look at the work that they have put in to a 5 year old game. In case you didn’t know, Reach’s multiplayer component is 100% free. This includes all the DLC maps.
WerepyreND wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:

They are not similar because you don't want them to be. The idea that vanilla bloom and no-bleedthrough are the only defining features is absurd. I also hate to tell you this, but to the wider gaming public, Reach was always Halo 3 with Jetpacks...

You can "spam" exactly one weapon, the Needle Rifle, which was little more than a pink DMR prior to the patch and once they adjusted the damage to account for bleedthrough, the minimum TTK didn't change for any weapon(which were already incredibly slow by Halo standards). Y'all are drastically overstating how much the TU actually changed on a level beyond mere balance tweaks. Bleedthrough is probably the biggest change that can't be considered a simple balance tweak, and even there it was not like it never existed, it was just inconsistently applied across damage types.

Your personal anecdotes are irrelevant. Clearly there was a demographic playing the game that wanted these changes otherwise they wouldn't have happened in the first place. Maybe you should just Adapt....
Nah. I liked the original solution. I got to play the version I liked. Not some crap. I’ve given TU settings more than fair chance, I’m done with it. Doesn’t even feel like the same game. Bleedthrough being universally applied doesn’t even make sense, and that alone changes the entire dynamic. Easier to kill, easier to die. I can play the game and run my average stats but so far on the MCC it’s just a major disappointment. It’s not even fun. It’s embarrassing that the 360 version is still the better game in the multiplayer department.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2