Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Really hating the bullet spread with CE Pistol

OP tuhin94

Trying to enjoy a game of CE online is not the easiest to do with bullet spread when using the Pistol. Any word on if/when this will be sorted?
Probably never. Halo CE on MCC is a joke compared to the original and PC port. The flamethrower is super weak compared to how it used to be. Shotgun is super hit or miss. Honestly our wishes of a stable working CE are not gonna happen.
DaNaRCHy wrote:
Probably never. Halo CE on MCC is a joke compared to the original and PC port. The flamethrower is super weak compared to how it used to be. Shotgun is super hit or miss. Honestly our wishes of a stable working CE are not gonna happen.
Ahh never knew about the flamethrower. I suppose it makes sense it should be more powerful since everything in CE was like a nuke lol.
tuhin94 wrote:
DaNaRCHy wrote:
Probably never. Halo CE on MCC is a joke compared to the original and PC port. The flamethrower is super weak compared to how it used to be. Shotgun is super hit or miss. Honestly our wishes of a stable working CE are not gonna happen.
Ahh never knew about the flamethrower. I suppose it makes sense it should be more powerful since everything in CE was like a nuke lol.
Ahh so I’m not the only one who thinks the Flamethrower feels underwhelming along with the Shotgun, they feel oddly weaker than they did before
Aim so the bottom of the reticle is just touching the top of the opponents head, and lead your shots especially at a distance.
Enroj wrote:
Aim so the bottom of the reticle is just touching the top of the opponents head, and lead your shots especially at a distance.
The first part of this is especially important. It does seem like the "center" of the spread is the lowest point on the reticle for the pistol, so this is what you should use to line up your shots, not the actual center.
the pistol is trash in swat like i can shoot 5 times in the head then he can turn and 1 shot me because his random aim was better
tuhin94 wrote:
Trying to enjoy a game of CE online is not the easiest to do with bullet spread when using the Pistol. Any word on if/when this will be sorted?
I played a SWAT match on CE never again bullet spread was super crazy, doubt it would be fixed since 343 is busy with Infinite and MCC on PC but I am hoping they will otherwise MP using CE's pistol is atrocious
tuhin94 wrote:
Trying to enjoy a game of CE online is not the easiest to do with bullet spread when using the Pistol. Any word on if/when this will be sorted?
I played a SWAT match on CE never again bullet spread was super crazy, doubt it would be fixed since 343 is busy with Infinite and MCC on PC but I am hoping they will otherwise MP using CE's pistol is atrocious
I hope so too. Based on all the comments above, it’s impacting the experience for many people. I love the beautiful simplicity of CE and part of that was because the Pistol was straightforward and powerful.
DaNaRCHy wrote:
Probably never. Halo CE on MCC is a joke compared to the original and PC port. The flamethrower is super weak compared to how it used to be. Shotgun is super hit or miss. Honestly our wishes of a stable working CE are not gonna happen.
Get Gud, Bro!!!

LOL, sorry had to.

Ironically, CE is the MP I have the most fun, particularly since its such a strange beast. Maps are crazy small. I dunno, just pretty fun for what is it. And that Flamethrower is powerful enough as it is, IMO.
Matt71 wrote:
DaNaRCHy wrote:
Probably never. Halo CE on MCC is a joke compared to the original and PC port. The flamethrower is super weak compared to how it used to be. Shotgun is super hit or miss. Honestly our wishes of a stable working CE are not gonna happen.
Get Gud, Bro!!!

LOL, sorry had to.

Ironically, CE is the MP I have the most fun, particularly since its such a strange beast. Maps are crazy small. I dunno, just pretty fun for what is it. And that Flamethrower is powerful enough as it is, IMO.
I fun with it, good with literally every CE weapon except the pistol, I think reach's is bad too but no where to CE
Matt71 wrote:
DaNaRCHy wrote:
Probably never. Halo CE on MCC is a joke compared to the original and PC port. The flamethrower is super weak compared to how it used to be. Shotgun is super hit or miss. Honestly our wishes of a stable working CE are not gonna happen.
Get Gud, Bro!!!

LOL, sorry had to.

Ironically, CE is the MP I have the most fun, particularly since its such a strange beast. Maps are crazy small. I dunno, just pretty fun for what is it. And that Flamethrower is powerful enough as it is, IMO.
I have fun with CE since its my favorite. But did you play a lot of CE lan parties or Halo PC when it first came out? I did and the version of CE we are playing on MCC is just severely lacking. How many years later?
Since nobody else has pointed the out, allow me to pontificate a bit for your edification...
The issue with the pistol's bullet spread in CE has existed since the PC port, you would be correct in remembering that it was much more accurate in the original Xbox release. You see, the PC port of CE was handled by Gearbox Software, and despite the fact that they succesfully implemented online multiplayer, and the port "works" overall, it is absolutely PLAGUED with bugs. Most of these bugs result in missing or downgraded visual effects (missing fog, jackal shields not changing color when damaged, bump maps on textures such as forerunner walls and the ground not appearing unless the player shines a flashlight on them, and basically anything that uses a transparent texture or effect is bugged or missing entirely). 343i sadly based the 360 release of CE Anniversary and by extension, the MCC release, off of the PC port, and all of that port's bugs have been carried over. This is why the game's classic mode graphics look so different and well, bad compared to the original release on the Xbox.
However, one that significantly affects gameplay, at least in regards to multiplayer, seems to not be a "bug" so to speak, but a complete oversight and sign of incompetence on the part of Gearbox. In the game's files there's supposed to be a sort of "patch file" that alters the behavior of certain weapons in MP so that they function somewhat differently from how they do in the campaign. Possibly the most significant of these changes greatly increases the accuracy of the pistol in multiplayer. Unfortunately, thanks to Gearbox, this file is missing completely and all weapons have identical settings and balance between campaign and multiplayer, which is not how they were designed, and 343i never resolved this issue, nor any of the other major visual bugs from the PC port (in point of fact, their artists seem to have based some of the remastered version's graphics after the bugged graphics of the port).

TL;DR Thanks to Gearbox and their awful PC port, all the weapons in CE use their campaign settings in multiplayer, and 343 never fixed it. If you remember the pistol being more accurate in the original Xbox release, you're absolutely right, but it's always been that way since the PC version.
DaNaRCHy wrote:
Probably never. Halo CE on MCC is a joke compared to the original and PC port. The flamethrower is super weak compared to how it used to be. Shotgun is super hit or miss. Honestly our wishes of a stable working CE are not gonna happen.
I've had the most luck with the Halo CE shotgun in MCC by aiming with the edge of the reticle, especially when the enemy is at a little bit of a distance in a gametype like muskets or something like that. I haven't noticed any part of the reticle being better than another. I just try to shoot when the enemy is on the edge instead of in the center.
sparrow279 wrote:
Since nobody else has pointed the out, allow me to pontificate a bit for your edification...
The issue with the pistol's bullet spread in CE has existed since the PC port, you would be correct in remembering that it was much more accurate in the original Xbox release. You see, the PC port of CE was handled by Gearbox Software, and despite the fact that they succesfully implemented online multiplayer, and the port "works" overall, it is absolutely PLAGUED with bugs. Most of these bugs result in missing or downgraded visual effects (missing fog, jackal shields not changing color when damaged, bump maps on textures such as forerunner walls and the ground not appearing unless the player shines a flashlight on them, and basically anything that uses a transparent texture or effect is bugged or missing entirely). 343i sadly based the 360 release of CE Anniversary and by extension, the MCC release, off of the PC port, and all of that port's bugs have been carried over. This is why the game's classic mode graphics look so different and well, bad compared to the original release on the Xbox.
However, one that significantly affects gameplay, at least in regards to multiplayer, seems to not be a "bug" so to speak, but a complete oversight and sign of incompetence on the part of Gearbox. In the game's files there's supposed to be a sort of "patch file" that alters the behavior of certain weapons in MP so that they function somewhat differently from how they do in the campaign. Possibly the most significant of these changes greatly increases the accuracy of the pistol in multiplayer. Unfortunately, thanks to Gearbox, this file is missing completely and all weapons have identical settings and balance between campaign and multiplayer, which is not how they were designed, and 343i never resolved this issue, nor any of the other major visual bugs from the PC port (in point of fact, their artists seem to have based some of the remastered version's graphics after the bugged graphics of the port).

TL;DR Thanks to Gearbox and their awful PC port, all the weapons in CE use their campaign settings in multiplayer, and 343 never fixed it. If you remember the pistol being more accurate in the original Xbox release, you're absolutely right, but it's always been that way since the PC version.
Is it just me or is gearbox not good at anything except making borderlands? Lol
What bugs me is that bullet spread has been turned off for the ranked CE mode. So, 343i can easily turn it off for every MP mode, but is choosing not to do so.

Did the 2001 campaign have bullet spread enabled? It has been a long while since I played it, but I don’t recall it being a thing.
The pistol is kinda special. When you aim at the body, the weapon has bullet magnetism as it would normally do when its on RRR, but when you aim at the head, the magnetism is much lower, so you actually need to aim directly at the head in order for your shots to land. I tested this on MCC, Custom Edition and my OG Xbox copy, and it works like that on the 3 versions
the pistol is trash in swat like i can shoot 5 times in the head then he can turn and 1 shot me because his random aim was better
I feel better now, knowing it's not just me.