In the December update post, 343 was very carefully about only using the terms Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary and Halo: CEA

If this means H:CE classic is not being ported to PC, what does that mean for multiplayer? H:CEA multiplayer was originally released with the Reach engine, so is 343 thinking they can get away with this being marked as "already completed"?

Or will a new multiplayer come out with a toggle for classic/anniversary graphics?
TROPSTOP wrote:
In the December update post, 343 was very carefully about only using the terms Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary and Halo: CEA

If this means H:CE classic is not being ported to PC, what does that mean for multiplayer? H:CEA multiplayer was originally released with the Reach engine, so is 343 thinking they can get away with this being marked as "already completed"?

Or will a new multiplayer come out with a toggle for classic/anniversary graphics?
They also made reference to Halo 2: Anniversary instead of just Halo 2.

It's that Halo: CEA is a whole package, including the OG. So they want people to know that it's the whole thing, with updated campaign graphics and everything.
Don't worry, H:CE classic is 100% coming to PC, just as H2 classic will be.
The ports of Halo CE Anniversary and Halo 2 Anniversary that are on the Xbox MCC port right now will be coming to PC with all the features intact. Includes toggling classic/anniversary modes for both campaigns only, and the original multiplayer (besides H2 Anniversary MP which uses a modified engine of H4, and you kinda already got HCE anniversary with reach's maps minus the anniversary gametypes)

Hopefully both games will be polished up from the legacy PC ports to be in parity with the original Xbox.
Hopefully both games will be polished up from the legacy PC ports to be in parity with the original Xbox.
They will not be
FS2587 wrote:
They will not be
Seems like an overly pessimistic opinion. I am holding out hope that at least some critical bug fixes will make it in.
FS2587 wrote:
They will not be
Seems like an overly pessimistic opinion. I am holding out hope that at least some critical bug fixes will make it in.
Most of them are visual, such as HCE's/2's lighting and shaders. But hardcore HCE players know more about the differences between the original Xbox and the gearbox PC port, especially the multiplayer part.

Besides, while they're working to add Reach, they 're planning to improve CE according to the June 2019 Development Update:
Quote:
Postums: With Halo: Combat Evolved coming after Halo: Reach, a lot of people have been asking about our planned improvements to HCE in order to bring it more in parity to the original Xbox version. Essentially, what we are planning to rework to be more aligned with legacy than the original Gearbox port to PC that is used in MCC.Michael Fahrny: We’re not targeting it for the launch on PC, but we are continuing to investigate what we can do to bring CE back to parity of the original Xbox version.
FS2587 wrote:
They will not be
Why would they not port over the same thing Xbox has? That's like giving 2 people a cereal box that both have a prize inside but one box was shipped without the prize.
FS2587 wrote:
They will not be
Why would they not port over the same thing Xbox has? That's like giving 2 people a cereal box that both have a prize inside but one box was shipped without the prize.
I don't think there is a single port that is 100% parity with its original counter part. Porting/emulating games on newer hardware is complicated business, when gearbox ported the original CE to PC decades ago they broke a lot of things in the process. Lots of annoying visual bugs that make the game look like crap when compare to the original like transparent shaders and fog. The netcode and multiplayer mechanics seem to have been tinkered with, creating very different experiences for OG and PC. When 343 decided to remake CE, rather than port CE from the OG Xbox to Xbone (which would take a long time as porting OG Xbox games is pretty damn hard due to the custom hardware in the box) they decided to take the easy route and use CE PC as the basis for CEA. This means all the issues PC had now Xbone will have due to being the same port, and it really turned the hard core audience away from CE.
FS2587 wrote:
They will not be
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/84ad72a8b51847978545f685f651fc15/topics/halo-ce-on-mcc-first-impressions/53c5a6fa-eb3c-4727-ac78-e3e1a7059c58/posts?page=1#post2

FS2587 wrote:
They will not be
Most of them are visual, such as HCE's/2's lighting and shaders. But hardcore HCE players know more about the differences between the original Xbox and the gearbox PC port, especially the multiplayer part.

Besides, while they're working to add Reach, they 're planning to improve CE according to the June 2019 Development Update:
Quote:
Postums: With Halo: Combat Evolved coming after Halo: Reach, a lot of people have been asking about our planned improvements to HCE in order to bring it more in parity to the original Xbox version. Essentially, what we are planning to rework to be more aligned with legacy than the original Gearbox port to PC that is used in MCC.Michael Fahrny: We’re not targeting it for the launch on PC, but we are continuing to investigate what we can do to bring CE back to parity of the original Xbox version.
As many others have pointed out in the past, the fixes proposed by 343 aren't going to bring it into parity. They have acknowledged that it won't be brought into parity. Check out cloud's post here, and read the links that he's provided for insight:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/84ad72a8b51847978545f685f651fc15/topics/halo-ce-on-mcc-first-impressions/53c5a6fa-eb3c-4727-ac78-e3e1a7059c58/posts?page=1#post2

Read this one too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/e23gr8/an_open_letter_to_the_halo_community_the_current/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
Too sad. I hope 343 really give us a proper CE this time and we can finally move away from the original.
FS2587 wrote:
They will not be
The MCC version of CE has been out for over 5 years now, and it still has a massive list of issues relative to the original. With that in mind, I just can't help but ask: Why precisely does that response seem overly pessimistic?
FS2587 wrote:
They will not be
The MCC version of CE has been out for over 5 years now, and it still has a massive list of issues relative to the original. With that in mind, I just can't help but ask: Why precisely does that response seem overly pessimistic?
Because it's not simply a factor of time, but a factor of work and effort.
The first several years there was next to no work done to improve CE.
The last year and a bit, MCC has had a major development focus. And now their eyes are specifically on CE.
Come on now, you know that.
FS2587 wrote:
They will not be
They have confirmed that next wave of fixes are coming to bring CE closer to parity. To the extent what these fixes entail and when they will arrive is anyone's guess, but until I've seen 343's absolute last effort of fixing CE I'll give em the benefit of the doubt.
TROPSTOP wrote:

Isn't this relevant to the pc forum and not at all relevant the xbox console.?