Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Rocket Race: Rules to win

OP HC SOlO

Since we have this opportunity to play Rocket Race for a bit, I thought I would share some "Rules to win".
These are suggestions for better game play and a real chance to win the game.

1. Do not chase a territory if you see other racers heading that way. Odds are you will not get the territory and then you will be out of position for the next.

2. Do not shoot rockets at a team that is off their mongoose. This is a game about racing. It is a valid technique, but if you find yourself in a battle of who can keep each other off of their mongoose then guess what, you are not racing and will not win the game. It's also a really -Yoink- thing to do.

3. DO use your rockets to boost you and your teammate farther and faster to the next territory. To me this is the best thing about Rocket Race. Boosting towards the objective, flying through the air to land in the territory a split second before another team. It takes practice, but is so much fun!

Rocket boosting in Rocket Race

4. If you are driving, PLEASE stop beeping the horn constantly. Once you figure out rocket boosting, the driver should use the horn to signal to the rocketeer that they are in line for a boost.

5. If you are off your mongoose and it is turned over, let the driver flip it. Otherwise you end up flipping it back and forth, leaving you off the mongoose longer than necessary (not racing).

6. Be ready at the start. The VIP cannot drive so be ready to get on the goose and go! If you can get moving faster than the rest of the teams, and know where the first territory spawns, you will have a 1 point advantage right from the beginning.

7. Use energy walls/barriers to redirect your goose on Rat race or other maps that use them. It can speed up your progress and keep you racing.

8. If your team mate quits early, you can too without being banned. This is not necessarily a tip for winning, just an FYI about the game. 50% of your team left so there is no penalty for quitting. More power to you if you can win while walking.

This is a growing list that is helpful in winning a game of Rocket Race.

As always, this is my opinion, on how to play the game of Rocket Race.

Please add to the list with your suggestions!

RACE NOT RAGE >>>> credit to A Swift Mystery for the motto
Reading through your tips makes me realize that there's actually a lot of strategy to rocket race.
DoubleSama wrote:
Reading through your tips makes me realize that there's actually a lot of strategy to rocket race.
You could also just take it as meaningless fun without an unoffical rule system. I get the idea that people have honor is fun to believe but most of the time people scramble for any advantage and will absolutely take and abuse anything they can if it means A. Screwing someone over or B. Winning.

With that said I dont disagree with your assessment or what OP is saying, its just realistically people will do what benefits them first and foremost.
DoubleSama wrote:
You could also just take it as meaningless fun without an unoffical rule system. I get the idea that people have honor is fun to believe but most of the time people scramble for any advantage and will absolutely take and abuse anything they can if it means A. Screwing someone over or B. Winning.

With that said I dont disagree with your assessment or what OP is saying, its just realistically people will do what benefits them first and foremost.
No doubt people aren't going to adhere to unofficial rules. I just mean that I would normally be one of those people randomly scrambling around, and with what OP has said, it makes me realize that actually taking a strategic look at the gametype may be a more effective option for winning.
DoubleSama wrote:

Taking it as meaningless fun without an unofficial rule system is what Halo is....

The idea of this post is to offer constructive ways to win in this game type. There will always be players that don't care about winning and prefer to grief other players. I am offering an alternative to that thinking.

Edit: Forget about honor, that has nothing to do with it. The point is winning and if you use your rockets on a team that is off of their mongoose, it is a waste. You could have just rocket boosted to the next territory. Instead, you are now reloading and another team has beat you to the objecive.
DoubleSama wrote:
I don’t know, it’s rocket race, I’m not going to take it too seriously. Could you sweat at rocket race? Yes. Did something go wrong in your life if you do that? You probably don’t want the answer to that.
DoubleSama wrote:
I don’t know, it’s rocket race, I’m not going to take it too seriously. Could you sweat at rocket race? Yes. Did something go wrong in your life if you do that? You probably don’t want the answer to that.
It's not like I'm saying that's how everyone should play rocket race. I merely commented that the possibility for more strategy within the game mode exists than I would initially think.
DoubleSama wrote:
DoubleSama wrote:
It's not like I'm saying that's how everyone should play rocket race. I merely commented that the possibility for more strategy within the game mode exists than I would initially think.
I wasn’t directing that towards you, it was meant for the topic as a whole. Sorry if quoting you gave that impression.
DoubleSama wrote:
I don't know....I like to play games to win. It might just be me but that is part of the enjoyment. No one has to play to win if they don't want too. That just means more wins for me. No sweat involved.
If you read the post you don't even have to figure out how to improve your chances of winning. I gave it to you on a silver platter and ask others to share their suggestions.

By the way, suggesting something went wrong in someone's life because they like to win is kinda -Yoink-. Or, maybe you just think this about someone who enjoys Rocket Race. Either way you have the problem, not them.
HC SOlO wrote:
DoubleSama wrote:
I don't know....I like to play games to win. It might just be me but that is part of the enjoyment. No one has to play to win if they don't want too. That just means more wins for me. No sweat involved.
If you read the post you don't even have to figure out how to improve your chances of winning. I gave it to you on a silver platter and ask others to share their suggestions.

By the way, suggesting something went wrong in someone's life because they like to win is kinda -Yoink-. Or, maybe you just think this about someone who enjoys Rocket Race. Either way you have the problem, not them.
Looks like the joke didn't land. Anyways, you can play however you want, I won't stop you. Maybe we have different definitions of sweat but i'm just sharing my opinion that I don't like rocket race too much. That's not a problem, right?
10/10 thread would read again. Never thought to boost.
Even though I'm an xp you know what I love to break up the grind with a rocket race. Thanks for the tips.
HC SOlO wrote:
DoubleSama wrote:
Looks like the joke didn't land. Anyways, you can play however you want, I won't stop you. Maybe we have different definitions of sweat but i'm just sharing my opinion that I don't like rocket race too much. That's not a problem, right?
Clearly we don't share the same sense of humor or fun in general. That is Ok.
HC SOlO wrote:
Since we have this opportunity to play Rocket Race for a bit, I thought I would share some "Rules to win".
These are suggestions for better game play and a real chance to win the game.

1. Do not chase a territory if you see other racers heading that way. Odds are you will not get the territory and then you will be out of position for the next.

2. Do not shoot rockets at a team that is off their mongoose. This is a game about racing. It is a valid technique, but if you find yourself in a battle of who can keep each other off of their mongoose then guess what, you are not racing and will not win the game. It's also a really -Yoink- thing to do.

3. DO use your rockets to boost you and your teammate farther and faster to the next territory. To me this is the best thing about Rocket Race. Boosting towards the objective, flying through the air to land in the territory a split second before another team. It takes practice, but is so much fun!

Rocket boosting in Rocket Race

4. If you are driving, PLEASE stop beeping the horn constantly. Once you figure out rocket boosting, the driver should use the horn to signal to the rocketeer that they are in line for a boost.

5. If you are off your mongoose and it is turned over, let the driver flip it. Otherwise you end up flipping it back and forth, leaving you off the mongoose longer than necessary (not racing).

6. Be ready at the start. The VIP cannot drive so be ready to get on the goose and go! If you can get moving faster than the rest of the teams, and know where the first territory spawns, you will have a 1 point advantage right from the beginning.

7. Use energy walls/barriers to redirect your goose on Rat race or other maps that use them. It can speed up your progress and keep you racing.

8. If your team mate quits early, you can too without being banned. This is not necessarily a tip for winning, just an FYI about the game. 50% of your team left so there is no penalty for quitting. More power to you if you can win while walking.

This is a growing list that is helpful in winning a game of Rocket Race.

As always, this is my opinion, on how to play the game of Rocket Race.

Please add to the list with your suggestions!

RACE NOT RAGE >>>> credit to A Swift Mystery for the motto
Next Wednesday my dudes! Rocket Race returns! I am excite.

I'd also like to add that if I see a player who's teammate quits, I'll always drive up to them and offer my passenger seat to give then a ride. My sister and I are almost always on when Rocket Race is up, so we don't mind missing out on getting points to rescue another player from the misery of walking around/blasting players due to boredom. Because, let's be real, nobody plays rocket race for the XP you gain. Haha

Thanks for posting the gentleman's rule for racing. See you guys and gals in the air!
And it's back again!

Bump for the above much appreciated rules/standard behavior. Race, not Rage!
Where's the rule about having a teammate who just wants to kill or enemies who want get off the vehicle and screw around with the race?
I wish they'd remove Isolation from the playlist. It is always a terrible experience. The map barely has enough room for vehicles, and the terrain means teams are inevitably going to flip over and fall off their mongooses. Then one player gets the bright idea to assassinate and the game descends into assassinations from there.

While we're at it, why haven't they patched in the ability to disable assassinations on invincible players yet?
Where's the rule about having a teammate who just wants to kill or enemies who want get off the vehicle and screw around with the race?
yeah those are rules to lose by
I wish they'd remove Isolation from the playlist. It is always a terrible experience. The map barely has enough room for vehicles, and the terrain means teams are inevitably going to flip over and fall off their mongooses. Then one player gets the bright idea to assassinate and the game descends into assassinations from there.

While we're at it, why haven't they patched in the ability to disable assassinations on invincible players yet?
I kinda like isolation. There is a pattern to win if you can just stay away from the players SleepyGoose mentioned.

Isolation can be fun if you get players that don't turn into cavemen and bash eachotger all day. The map has so many fun spots to navigate at top speed, it feels great when you can get up to speed.

As for assassinations, as long as you are on the 'goose when getting them, we love getting the Drive By Assassination (DBA) on any poor soul that falls off their ride. It's another scenario that can be all fun and games, as long as players don't take it personally and start blasting/assassinating for no reason other than being bad sports.

Rocket Race can be the best social gametype, if people would just get on their 'goose.
Isolation can be fun if you get players that don't turn into cavemen and bash eachotger all day.
The issue is that the map geography makes it highly likely that people are going to fall off. Usually in the same choke points while they fight over the goals. Then someone assassinates a player, leaving their teammate as the VIP who can no longer board a mongoose. So what do they do? They fire rockets and try to flip someone else or try to get revenge for the assassination of their teammate.

Now you have two VIPs, or more, without drivers with nothing to do but try and assassinate each other, or unseat other teams from their mongooses while waiting for their driver to respawn and pick them up.

Then you have the frustrating scenario where your driver arrives just in time for you to be assassinated, restarting the cycle.

Of course this plays out on other maps, but the confined space and layout of the map pretty much guarantees it will devolve into the scenario I described. A normal game of Rocket Race, working as intended, on Isolation is highly unusual in my experience.

This wouldn't be as big of a problem if they patched players with a 0% damage modifier so that they couldn't perform assassinations. But even then, I feel the map just doesn't work well with the gametype. Perhaps we needed it on OG Halo 3 where the selection was limited, but now with the map packs and the option to use other games I the collection for the gametype, it feels like a relic of a time when we didn't have better options, grandfathered in.
HC SOlO wrote:
yeah those are rules to lose by

I kinda like isolation. There is a pattern to win if you can just stay away from the players SleepyGoose mentioned.
One thing i found funny. When the enemy's VIP steps off but the driver doesn't leave. So you hop on their passenger seat and the driver can't do nothing but try to flip the vehicle.