Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Roman armor concepts not as cool as you think

OP Leos Nuts

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I’m done with the Greco/Roman phase. please. Everyone is. Have some imagination and try to make armor that hasn’t already been done 1000’s of times and doesn’t low-key whitewash the genocides the romans perpetuated

Literally thousands of ancient civilizations and mythologies and you guys are still stuck on the greco/romans? Weak sauce.
You already opened a topic with that, don't open multiple topics with the same subject please.
You already opened a topic with that, don't open multiple topics with the same subject please.
Wrong guy bud, although it is interesting that there are multiple posts with this particular thread. Neat
Leos Nuts wrote:
Wrong guy bud, although it is interesting that there are multiple posts with this particular thread. Neat
You're right, it was someone else i saw. Apology for that. Still don't open a 2nd topic with the same subject ;-)
Leos Nuts wrote:
You're right, it was someone else i saw. Apology for that. Still don't open a 2nd topic with the same subject ;-)
Not my fault people are talking about the same thing bud, I’ll keep posting what I want thanks :)
Leos Nuts wrote:
I’m done with the Greco/Roman phase. please. Everyone is. Have some imagination and try to make armor that hasn’t already been done 1000’s of times and doesn’t low-key whitewash the genocides the romans perpetuated

Literally thousands of ancient civilizations and mythologies and you guys are still stuck on the greco/romans? Weak sauce.
What other games have done something like this? You mentioned 1000's of times, I haven't seen this in any recent games. Just curious
Leos Nuts wrote:

What other games have done something like this? You mentioned 1000's of times, I haven't seen this in any recent games. Just curious
https://greekreporter.com/2021/04/06/the-best-video-games-that-can-take-you-straight-back-to-ancient-greece/

https://gamerant.com/games-fans-roman-history-recommendations/

Took two seconds to google

Now you show me any video game at all that goes back to say, the Harapan era of India. I’ll bet you’ll find 0. Especially weird because Greek gods are Greek versions of HINDU gods so, like, it’s not even that big of a jump to make some different themes based on different ancient mythologies or cultures. Greco/Roman games are just dry rn. I’ve had enough of the Greek/Roman pantheon. They’re lame
Leos Nuts wrote:
Leos Nuts wrote:

https://greekreporter.com/2021/04/06/the-best-video-games-that-can-take-you-straight-back-to-ancient-greece/

https://gamerant.com/games-fans-roman-history-recommendations/

Took two seconds to google

Now you show me any video game at all that goes back to say, the Harapan era of India. I’ll bet you’ll find 0. Especially weird because Greek gods are Greek versions of HINDU gods so, like, it’s not even that big of a jump to make some different themes based on different ancient mythologies or cultures. Greco/Roman games are just dry rn. I’ve had enough of the Greek/Roman pantheon. They’re lame
Lol, never heard of any of those games, except God of War & AC obviously.

Those are games that take place during those times. I guess what you're asking why aren't the armors created under different ancient mythologies. You're right, there are 1000's of other mythologies they can base them off of. I would say maybe the Roman/Greek was more influential than the rest of them, considering the Romans nearly most of the land in that region. And they were also called Spartans, similar to what we are called in Halo, so it's not too outlandish.

Also the new armors also consist of Viking mythology, and Medieval mythology as well
Leos Nuts wrote:
Leos Nuts wrote:

https://greekreporter.com/2021/04/06/the-best-video-games-that-can-take-you-straight-back-to-ancient-greece/https://gamerant.com/games-fans-roman-history-recommendations/Took two seconds to google

Lol, never heard of any of those games, except God of War & AC obviously.

Those are games that take place during those times. I guess what you're asking why aren't the armors created under different ancient mythologies. You're right, there are 1000's of other mythologies they can base them off of. I would say maybe the Roman/Greek was more influential than the rest of them, considering the Romans nearly most of the land in that region. And they were also called Spartans, similar to what we are called in Halo, so it's not too outlandish.

Also the new armors also consist of Viking mythology, and Medieval mythology as well
Ik they’re called Spartans, I recognize the historical relevance. Theres literally Samurai armor in 3 though so it’s not like they locked themselves into making armor designs for the Greek Spartans. Viking Mythology is also super dry at this point. It’s been done, we all know who Thor is. Big Swingey hammer make lightning, Valhalla, etc, etc. Literally the most popular movie franchises out right now revolve around Viking mythologies(Marvel, all those Viking shows on Netflix)
I’ve seen it, heard it, heard about it all before. I’m actually drowning in these mythologies living in America

A Shiva armor would be great, or an ancient Aztec sun god armor. Something more refreshing than ANOTHER Roman mohawk helmet (For Christ’s sake)
Why does it matter to you so much, just disable the armor in your settings.
TheOgKPort wrote:
Why does it matter to you so much, just disable the armor in your settings.
I don’t think he’s complaining about not seeing the armors, he would just like to see other mythologies brought in as well
I agree that other cultures can and should be represented more often, but they aren’t mutually exclusive. They can do both.

with that said while these armor sets look good they don’t fit halo’s aesthetic and shouldn’t have been made in the first place.

the hyabusa is an exception as it’s very understated compared to these sets. And by that I mean they primary looks like halo armor with ninja ornamentation rather than the other way around.
SENCHIEF10 wrote:
I agree that other cultures can and should be represented more often, but they aren’t mutually exclusive. They can do both.

with that said while these armor sets look good they don’t fit halo’s aesthetic and shouldn’t have been made in the first place.

the hyabusa is an exception as it’s very understated compared to these sets. And by that I mean they primary looks like halo armor with ninja ornamentation rather than the other way around.
It's only your opinion anyways. I don't think Hayabusa fits into the art style
I’m sure we will see more cultures represented in either future updates to the MCC or Infinite. The sets they started with were the cultures that the artist behind these designs felt a strong connection too (they grew up in Greece).
They did quite clearly highlight why they chose the pantheons they did, is there room for others, sure, but these were the natural first steps, because if they had done pantheons not referenced in Halo much if at all then people would ask why the obvious ones weren't included. And the Hayabusa armor in 3 was designed specifically as a crossover with the Ninja Gaiden games, speaking of I'm surprised they've not announced a Gears of War or Doom crossover event, especially considering Kat ad Emile appeared in Gears 5.
SENCHIEF10 wrote:

It's only your opinion anyways. I don't think Hayabusa fits into the art style
Hayabusa was also just one helmet, chest piece, and shoulder set, so there wasn’t an overwhelming amount of it compared to the original armor. Season 8 on the other hand, has doubled the amount of original customizable options with just this one specific style of content.

My main problem with them is not that they added them in the first place. There’s been plenty of customizable options that I didn’t care to use before and I expect many more to come in the future, but the fact that they made the entire season about these armors and added more of them than the original game has is a bit annoying.

Add a few sets sure, but 60 pieces total of that one style? It’s excessive imo. Especially when H2C and H2A haven’t been given any new content at all. H2A especially should get way more love. It plays great and gives a modernized feel to the classic Halo experience. It was also launched with MCC for Halo 2’a anniversary, yet it has the least amount of content of them all. Again, I just think it’s BS that they devoted so much to that specifically, when they haven’t added anything at all, or very little, to some of the other games.
I don’t like helmets from the past being in a futuristic game, but it’s whatever since it a crossover ig.
I dunno, I've wanted armor along these in Halo since the original Halo 3... Don't really care if it's over done in other games...
That being said I would appreciate other historical and mythological inspired armors, but you can't rag on them for putting in the popular ones.

However, As much as I like the plague doctor aesthetic it just doesn't make sense for a Spartan.
Leos Nuts wrote:
I’m done with the Greco/Roman phase. please. Everyone is.
I’m not done with them…I quite like them.
Generalising the entire population with your opinion isn’t really wise. Everyone has their own thoughts and opinions.
I’m sure it’s been done in other games before, but has it been done in classic Halo before? No it hasn’t.

If you don’t like then, toggle them off. You don’t have to see them ever again. It’s really that simple.

Let others enjoy what they want to enjoy. You don’t need to gatekeep new armour from being in the game because it’s something that doesn’t suit your preferences.
Ironically for as much as I dislike the Season 8 selection, the greek ones without the carved faces are actually kinda ok, if only because I view them as a reference to Ensemble's Age of Mythology series, as well as being the only sets that semi-work with the halo setting (Halo 5 did it better still, but again: as a reference to AoM I like it a bit more than Halo 5's iterations. still woulda preferred them in infinite though)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2