Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Season 8 should be Halo: Reach/Firefight focused.

OP Aurik Kal Durin

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Halo 3 has been the center of attention for at least 4 seasons, I think we can all agree that it's time to move on. Me personally, I want to see Halo: Reach be the focus of Season 8.

Halo 3: ODST got a massive upgrade to Firefight way back in Season 3, and IMO it's the best update we've gotten so far; aside from adding ODST Firefight to the collection, they also added a ton of customization options, and even new weapons and vehicles that weren't in the original release for Halo 3: ODST, like the Battle Rifle and the Hornet.

I'd like to see Reach Firefight get the same treatment. While Reach FF already has stellar customization, there's plenty of room for improvement... such as a Vehicle Set option like what was added to Halo 3: ODST that lets us change what vehicles spawn on the map. This also means that they could add new vehicles to Reach Firefight like the Gauss Warthog, Scorpion, Falcon, Revenant, and Banshee. Halo 3: ODST could use a few improvements as well.

Then of course there's the plethora of cosmetics that were added for Halo: CE and Halo 3, which are long overdue to be added to Halo: Reach. Visor Colors, Weapon Skins, Vehicle Skins... the elusive Red and Orange visors used by Jun and Jorge in campaign are something fans have been asking for for a long time, not to mention all the other colors that were added for Halo: CE and Halo 3.

I'm gonna try and be as realistic as possible, but this is the full range of features I could see being implemented in a season focused on Halo: Reach and Firefight:
  • Vehicle Set customization options in Firefight. Choose what vehicles spawn on select Firefight maps. Options would include the Warthog, Gauss Warthog, Rocket Warthog, Scorpion, Falcon (Nose Gun), Ghost, Revenant, Wraith, and Banshee.
  • More maps with vehicles. In addition to Beachhead, Unearthed, and Installation 04, players would now be able to spawn vehicles on Outpost, Glacier, and Overlook.
  • Friendly AI on vehicle maps. Currently, Installation 04 is the only Firefight map that has Friendly AI. This would be expanded to include all maps that feature the Warthog, allowing for solo players to take full advantage of the Warthog wherever it appears. Friendly AI would be added to Beachhead, Unearthed, and also Lost Platoon in Halo 3: ODST.
  • Playable Elites in Halo: Reach Firefight. I don't care if it doesn't make sense lore-wise, I just want to play as Elites fighting against the Covenant in Firefight. You rarely get to play as Elites in Halo: Reach, and this would give us a fun and casual way to play as Elites in PvE for solo players.
  • Per-piece armor customization for Elites. 343 promised this feature way back in Season 4, but it never made it into the game... this would go hand-in-hand with making Elites playable in Reach Firefight, giving them almost as much customization as Spartans.
  • Spartans and Elites in ODST Firefight. This would add an option to ODST Firefight under "Appearance" allowing you to play as either a Spartan or Elite, with the ability to dual-wield and use equipment. To enable, you would go under "Player Traits < Appearance" and along with usual options for Forced Color, Active Camo, Waypoint, and so on, you would have "Player Characters". There would be 2 options: "ODSTs (Default)" and "Spartans & Elites". Choose the latter and you would be allowed to play as whatever you have selected for Halo 3 multiplayer.
  • Customizable Weapon Drops. This would allow you to change what weapons spawn in your Weapon Drop for Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach in Firefight. For ODST, you would be able to customize your Primary & Secondary weapons as well as 3 Power Weapon spawns. For Reach, you would be able to customize your 3 Power Weapon spawns and control the number of spawns. By default it is 2 Weapon Drops for single-player and 3 for co-op. You could change that to have it always be 3 Weapon Drops, or even go up to 4 or 5.
  • More Halo 3 weapons & vehicles in ODST Firefight. With the ability to dual-wield as a Spartan or Elite, new weapons would be added as part of Weapon Drop customization and under the Weapons & Damage category for Player Traits. This would include the Magnum, SMG, Plasma Rifle, and Energy Sword, along with the Halo 3 version of the Brute Plasma Rifle. The missing vehicles from the Vehicle Set option would also be added, including the Ghost, Chopper, Prowler, Wraith, and Banshee.
I wouldn't mind the Reach Firefight get some love, but I also think that Halo 2 and a H2A are way more overdue to get some attention. They are the only games to not get any additional content after the move to PC.

We do have at least 3 seasons left though, so I think there is plenty of room for your suggestion too.
Mongerty wrote:
I wouldn't mind the Reach Firefight get some love, but I also think that Halo 2 and a H2A are way more overdue to get some attention. They are the only games to not get any additional content after the move to PC.

We do have at least 3 seasons left though, so I think there is plenty of room for your suggestion too.
I’d like to see H2 and H2A receive some love! I do remember seeing somewhere however that H2/A code is awful and that adding things is a nightmare. On the same hand I know nothing about the technical side of creating/editing games so my input is really slim in terms of factual knowledge. 🤷‍♂️
these are very good ideas.
I think that every Halo game needs to get some love, expect Halo 3 ofc. Halo 3 really got much more love than any other Halo game, and I think that it's time for 343i to show some respect to Reach, Halo 2 and Halo 3 ODST! Halo CE and Halo 4 had already got some content, but I think even those 2 games needs to be more respected!
The only things I want to see Firefight get in Halo Reach:
  • Drones restored
  • Guta Restored (either as an environmental hazard or a part of the actual wave customization)
  • Elite players ability to assassinate Enemy ODST NPC's restored
  • the 'Preserve' chest released (not even Firefight specific but still relevant)
The only things I want to see Firefight get in Halo 3 ODST:
  • Elites added as enemies on Crater and Rallypoint's Day variants
  • Halo 3 Skins Usable in Firefight
I staunchly disagree with the Halo 3 Hate, the title has only ever played a supplementary to the other titles since it has the largest pool of mostly finished content to pull from. if it were at any point to stop doing this, it's likely it will never see that content released before support ends for the collection, and the devs would be forced to release potentially messy content for the other games they aren't satisfied with. H2C, H2A, and Halo 4 have been the actual titles receiving the most work behind the scenes, with the devs slowly reworking and restoring Cut or Broken Content for H2C when possible, cleaning up Halo 4's broken code so that all content is usable in spartan ops and possibly restoring Cut Content, and having teased a plethora of new content for H2A including hints of customization items and talk of a possible thorage update.
Allowing players to play as Spartans in ODST FF would be amazing as an option. As well as porting 'missing' weapons from H3 over to ODST, such as Energy Sword, Sentinel Beam, and so on.

I believe it was mentioned at some point that there was the possibility of customisation ODST FF waves a la Reach, hopefully the team look into this as a feature.

Also hopefully with the release of further dev tools we can see maps converted from H3 for use with ODST Firefight - there are some fantastic locations. The end of Sierra 117 was even used as the prototype.
  1. Vehicle Set customization options in Firefight. Choose what vehicles spawn on select Firefight maps. Options would include the Warthog, Gauss Warthog, Rocket Warthog, Scorpion, Falcon (Nose Gun), Ghost, Revenant, Wraith, and Banshee.
  2. More maps with vehicles. In addition to Beachhead, Unearthed, and Installation 04, players would now be able to spawn vehicles on Outpost, Glacier, and Overlook.
  3. Friendly AI on vehicle maps. Currently, Installation 04 is the only Firefight map that has Friendly AI. This would be expanded to include all maps that feature the Warthog, allowing for solo players to take full advantage of the Warthog wherever it appears. Friendly AI would be added to Beachhead, Unearthed, and also Lost Platoon in Halo 3: ODST.
  4. Playable Elites in Halo: Reach Firefight. I don't care if it doesn't make sense lore-wise, I just want to play as Elites fighting against the Covenant in Firefight. You rarely get to play as Elites in Halo: Reach, and this would give us a fun and casual way to play as Elites in PvE for solo players.
  5. Per-piece armor customization for Elites. 343 promised this feature way back in Season 4, but it never made it into the game... this would go hand-in-hand with making Elites playable in Reach Firefight, giving them almost as much customization as Spartans.
  6. Spartans and Elites in ODST Firefight. This would add an option to ODST Firefight under "Appearance" allowing you to play as either a Spartan or Elite, with the ability to dual-wield and use equipment. To enable, you would go under "Player Traits < Appearance" and along with usual options for Forced Color, Active Camo, Waypoint, and so on, you would have "Player Characters". There would be 2 options: "ODSTs (Default)" and "Spartans & Elites". Choose the latter and you would be allowed to play as whatever you have selected for Halo 3 multiplayer.
  7. Customizable Weapon Drops. This would allow you to change what weapons spawn in your Weapon Drop for Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach in Firefight. For ODST, you would be able to customize your Primary & Secondary weapons as well as 3 Power Weapon spawns. For Reach, you would be able to customize your 3 Power Weapon spawns and control the number of spawns. By default it is 2 Weapon Drops for single-player and 3 for co-op. You could change that to have it always be 3 Weapon Drops, or even go up to 4 or 5.
  8. More Halo 3 weapons & vehicles in ODST Firefight. With the ability to dual-wield as a Spartan or Elite, new weapons would be added as part of Weapon Drop customization and under the Weapons & Damage category for Player Traits. This would include the Magnum, SMG, Plasma Rifle, and Energy Sword, along with the Halo 3 version of the Brute Plasma Rifle. The missing vehicles from the Vehicle Set option would also be added, including the Ghost, Chopper, Prowler, Wraith, and Banshee.
1) This would be in customs i think, so i don't see a problem there. In the matchmaking it would we difficult to implement.
2) Glacier and Outpost i could agree (especially when in campaign on those area's you (can) have a vehicle). Overlook doesn't have an vehicle in campaign, so i'd rather have no vehicle in FF, so it keeps a connection with the campaign. But that is also my personal taste. With Glacier and Outpost added as a vehicle map, you would have 5 maps with vehicles and 5 without. That also sounds like an even mix, also for the people who like firefight maps without vehicles. But i'd rather have that they start with extra vehicles on Unearthed. That map is huge, but only has 1 vehicle. This while Instalation 04 (hog and goose) and Beachhead (hog, goose and ghost) have more vehicles to jump in (not counting vehicles dropped by the dropships). I think Unearthed can use a goose and ghost added to the start to jump in.
3) I wouldn't like that. I rather have the AI's on Installation 04 removed. In FF arcade its just about killing the enemies. Having AI's doing the killing (even if it's a little bit) just doesn't make sence in my opinion.
4) That wouldn't make sence as you already said. I like it if firefight still is connected to the further story. That said i can imagine people wanting to play FF as a elite. But i rather have them making an extra map where it is the elites fighting of forces of marines, odst's and spartan trying to eliminate them. Possible maps for that could be the beachsection of Long Night Of Solace or a part of Exodus. I could see that being a nice addition to the firefights though.
5) -
6) Wouldn't fit the ODST story, so i would not like it. So rather not. It is ODST-Firefight and not the firefight of another halo-game.
7) Could be a nice option for custom firefights.
8) Same as in point 6. This is ODST-firefight, not H3. Then i rather have them adding an firefight for H3. Let ODST stay ODST.

What i still want them changing to firefight:
A) Let the ODST Firefight Matchmaking medals be added to your medalchest, just like with Reach Firefight.
B) Let the Reach Frefight Matchmaking kills count for the challenges, just like with ODST Firefight.
C) Expand the time for ODST Firefight on the maps Lost Platoon and Security Zone, so you can actually finish them.
D) Make a Firefight match where you can get the Inconceivable and Unfriggenbelievable firefightmedals. Now those medals are on your MM medalchest, while you can't even get them. Either make an firefight option where you can get them, or remove those medals from that chest. No point in having a medal in the chest you literaly can't get (this is also a problem with a couple of other medals, but this is only about firefight)
E) Installation 04 (Reach FF) is clearly from the CE-mission Halo. But in that mission there is also a small underground part under the structure. In the FF-map they closed that off. I would like it if they would return that part, to make the map more correct. And then that could perhaps be the respawn point, since in the CE-mission that is where the marines are. It would also 'fix' the current spawn on top of the structure, where you are in the open and where also enemies can spawn when no-one is there. This could lead you spawn back in surrounded with enemies and getting spawnkilled (especially on heroic with limited lives that is a problem). This while almost every other FF-map has a safer spawnpoint that is mostly covered (enemies can enter there eventually, but don't spawn there and only run in there when someone is actually there, so you are almost never spawnkilled there).
F) As mentioned with E most maps have safe respawn points, but Unearthed has not. You spawn in the open where often enemies are. This while you are just in front of a building where you could spawn way more safely (and where you originaly spawned). Move the respawn point to where the original spawn point was, so you can respawn (more) safely.
G) Just like in Reach Firefight, give ODST Firefight also a scoreboard you can check. Now you can only see the total score and your score. I would like it if i could see everybody's score during the match (could for instance be in the map-screen).
  1. Vehicle Set customization options in Firefight. Choose what vehicles spawn on select Firefight maps. Options would include the Warthog, Gauss Warthog, Rocket Warthog, Scorpion, Falcon (Nose Gun), Ghost, Revenant, Wraith, and Banshee.
  2. More maps with vehicles. In addition to Beachhead, Unearthed, and Installation 04, players would now be able to spawn vehicles on Outpost, Glacier, and Overlook.
  3. Friendly AI on vehicle maps. Currently, Installation 04 is the only Firefight map that has Friendly AI. This would be expanded to include all maps that feature the Warthog, allowing for solo players to take full advantage of the Warthog wherever it appears. Friendly AI would be added to Beachhead, Unearthed, and also Lost Platoon in Halo 3: ODST.
  4. Playable Elites in Halo: Reach Firefight. I don't care if it doesn't make sense lore-wise, I just want to play as Elites fighting against the Covenant in Firefight. You rarely get to play as Elites in Halo: Reach, and this would give us a fun and casual way to play as Elites in PvE for solo players.
  5. Per-piece armor customization for Elites. 343 promised this feature way back in Season 4, but it never made it into the game... this would go hand-in-hand with making Elites playable in Reach Firefight, giving them almost as much customization as Spartans.
  6. Spartans and Elites in ODST Firefight. This would add an option to ODST Firefight under "Appearance" allowing you to play as either a Spartan or Elite, with the ability to dual-wield and use equipment. To enable, you would go under "Player Traits < Appearance" and along with usual options for Forced Color, Active Camo, Waypoint, and so on, you would have "Player Characters". There would be 2 options: "ODSTs (Default)" and "Spartans & Elites". Choose the latter and you would be allowed to play as whatever you have selected for Halo 3 multiplayer.
  7. Customizable Weapon Drops. This would allow you to change what weapons spawn in your Weapon Drop for Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach in Firefight. For ODST, you would be able to customize your Primary & Secondary weapons as well as 3 Power Weapon spawns. For Reach, you would be able to customize your 3 Power Weapon spawns and control the number of spawns. By default it is 2 Weapon Drops for single-player and 3 for co-op. You could change that to have it always be 3 Weapon Drops, or even go up to 4 or 5.
  8. More Halo 3 weapons & vehicles in ODST Firefight. With the ability to dual-wield as a Spartan or Elite, new weapons would be added as part of Weapon Drop customization and under the Weapons & Damage category for Player Traits. This would include the Magnum, SMG, Plasma Rifle, and Energy Sword, along with the Halo 3 version of the Brute Plasma Rifle. The missing vehicles from the Vehicle Set option would also be added, including the Ghost, Chopper, Prowler, Wraith, and Banshee.
1) This would be in customs i think, so i don't see a problem there. In the matchmaking it would we difficult to implement.
2) Glacier and Outpost i could agree (especially when in campaign on those area's you (can) have a vehicle). Overlook doesn't have an vehicle in campaign, so i'd rather have no vehicle in FF, so it keeps a connection with the campaign. But that is also my personal taste. With Glacier and Outpost added as a vehicle map, you would have 5 maps with vehicles and 5 without. That also sounds like an even mix, also for the people who like firefight maps without vehicles. But i'd rather have that they start with extra vehicles on Unearthed. That map is huge, but only has 1 vehicle. This while Instalation 04 (hog and goose) and Beachhead (hog, goose and ghost) have more vehicles to jump in (not counting vehicles dropped by the dropships). I think Unearthed can use a goose and ghost added to the start to jump in.
3) I wouldn't like that. I rather have the AI's on Installation 04 removed. In FF arcade its just about killing the enemies. Having AI's doing the killing (even if it's a little bit) just doesn't make sence in my opinion.
4) That wouldn't make sence as you already said. I like it if firefight still is connected to the further story. That said i can imagine people wanting to play FF as a elite. But i rather have them making an extra map where it is the elites fighting of forces of marines, odst's and spartan trying to eliminate them. Possible maps for that could be the beachsection of Long Night Of Solace or a part of Exodus. I could see that being a nice addition to the firefights though.
5) -
6) Wouldn't fit the ODST story, so i would not like it. So rather not. It is ODST-Firefight and not the firefight of another halo-game.
7) Could be a nice option for custom firefights.
8) Same as in point 6. This is ODST-firefight, not H3. Then i rather have them adding an firefight for H3. Let ODST stay ODST.
  1. Yeah, it would be for Custom Games. Where did I say that it should be for matchmaking? Since when does matchmaking let you tweak game settings?
  2. Overlook has Wraiths. It wouldn't be too great a leap to add Ghosts or Revenants.
  3. The AI aren't that powerful; they get killed very easily, and only get a significant number of kills if they're in the Warthog with you. Otherwise they are of no detriment to the experience, and are essential to solo players on any Firefight map that features the Warthog.
  4. I don't care if it doesn't make sense. I just want to have fun playing as an Elite in Firefight. Creating specialized maps for Elites would just overcomplicate things when it would be so much easier to just add a custom game option that allows playable Elites.
  5. ...
  6. It would be a CUSTOM GAME OPTION. If you don't like it, don't use it.
  7. ...
  8. Once again, it would be only for Custom Games. If you only want to play as ODSTs, then that's your prerogative. But there's no reason we shouldn't be allowed to play as our Halo 3 Spartans and Elites in Custom Firefight. I am so sick of people gatekeeping content and features like this without taking the time to actually read the post. I described in detail how it would work by extending the "Player Traits > Appearance" options that are already present in Custom Firefight for ODST, but I guess you didn't read that part.
Pretty much everything I suggested is framed in the context of adding new features for Custom Firefight, not matchmaking. I don't play Firefight matchmaking. Custom Firefight has always been more fun, and it's easy to set up and play by yourself.
I like and agree with everything you have suggested aside from the per piece Elite customization. I think the way Elite customization is in Reach currently is fine. You pick the style you want to represent and they already look great as is. I think mixing and matching different pieces from different armors (present or new ones) wouldn't look good.

Omega399 wrote:
  • Drones restored
  • Guta Restored (either as an environmental hazard or a part of the actual wave customization)
  • the 'Preserve' chest released (not even Firefight specific but still relevant)
Completely agree with these. Imagine a bunch of Guta showing up on maps like Beachhead and Waterfront, attacking you from all angles.
I like and agree with everything you have suggested aside from the per piece Elite customization. I think the way Elite customization is in Reach currently is fine. You pick the style you want to represent and they already look great as is. I think mixing and matching different pieces from different armors (present or new ones) wouldn't look good.

Omega399 wrote:
  • Drones restored
Completely agree with these. Imagine a bunch of Guta showing up on maps like Beachhead and Waterfront, attacking you from all angles.
Also agree, great idea!
They still have skins and stuff they haven't released for Halo 3, so I'm sure it'll be sprinkled throughout the next few seasons no matter what they do.
They still have skins and stuff they haven't released for Halo 3, so I'm sure it'll be sprinkled throughout the next few seasons no matter what they do.
Exactly, they're pushing out stuff that was unreleased. Once it's over (eventually), things will change. I too would like to see something about Reach.
That stuff could easily be added to the Exchange, they don't have to build a whole new season around it. Look at what they did with the latest round of Halo: CE content, even some of the Halo 3 content like the new Energy Sword skins and techsuit colors was added to the Exchange.

So I say make the Seasonal content focus on Halo: Reach, Halo 3: ODST, and the Firefight modes for both games, with everything else relegated to the Exchange.
Great ideas
Can we get Reach Hardcore to be a permanent playlist?
I think H2/H2A needs to get a little bit of love as well. It's the only one to not get anything in a season and maybe one of the next seasons could have both H2 and reach cosmetics.
season 8 might be a lead into infinite. They already added the keystone helmet
I don't think you have to focus so much on halo reach
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2