Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Should MCC really be worked on at this point?

OP LethalQ

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Now before you get upset hear me out. While I like that 343 is going to go back and work on MCC but let's be real here. It's probably to little to late. I have been playing MCC a bit more lately and while yeah it clearly still needs work even if it's improved the players more likely won't come back because of one thing.....these "cross game playlist". These are just toilet. Wouldn't it be better to just start fresh? What they probably should do is this. Make Halo CE anniversary and Halo 2 anniversary on one disc. Then since it's only two games it will be easy to keep the multi player playlist separate. Just include way more maps and game types. Then make enhancements for the other Halo games that are all backward compatible. Then Halo players can actually play the Halo they want with modern graphics. It's so heart breaking to go into MCC particularly BTB and your heart starts racing as you see Halo CE death island slayer.... But then of course something like H3 one flag last resort wins, the camptastic game type on what is actually the worse playing Halo in MCC. Another thing that concerns me is that usually when 343 "updated" something, even in H5, other things stopped working correctly. I hate to kinda be saying abandon MCC I just don't see them "fixing" it enough to make much difference at this point. Granted it's probably to late at this point. They may as finish this upcoming "update" and see what happens. It all seems like a "promise for a great journey" at this point.
I have four Platinum packs... If we match in a game send me a quick message in game saying I see you or something (so I can verify we did match) and a friend request so I can gift you a pack. You don't have to keep me as a "friend" as I am a solo player.
It needs to be fixed, not only because of the fact that they released a broken game, and it's not fair to people that paid money for it, but becasue fixing it allows it to be future proofed. Giving the game an Xbox One X patch means that it can be scaled for hardware, which means that a PC port is a lot easier, and I'd be surprised if this game didn't get a PC port after being fixed, and be even more surprised if it doesn't get some sort of cross-play with PC if the port happens.

What the MCC should have been is still an amazing idea, and it not being that at launch doesn't mean that it can't still be that. Being able to play every Halo game on the same machine is extremely enticing. It's going to be hard to get people to pay money for the game again, no doubt, but putting it in Game with Gold for a month, and/or putting the game in Games Pass is a great way to get it back in peoples hands. All it takes is one or two people in a friend group to start playing again, and then the whole group is hooked. It is still classic Halo. It's still just plain old fun. I agree that cross-game playlists suck, but in the blog post they talked about redoing playlists, and said that they are trying to implement a custom games browser. A custom games browser is the perfect way that this game's multiplayer should have been set up. Allow people to play exactly what they want to play. Of all games this game needs something like that most of all.

The series is in a rough spot right now but 343i seem to really be trying and understand the situation that MCC and Halo 5 put them in. Being so willing to fix MCC is a great sign. Their newfound push for transparency and a lot of the things that they have done behind the scenes make it appear as though 343i are making the right moves.
It needs to be fixed, not only because of the fact that they released a broken game, and it's not fair to people that paid money for it, but becasue fixing it allows it to be future proofed. Giving the game an Xbox One X patch means that it can be scaled for hardware, which means that a PC port is a lot easier, and I'd be surprised if this game didn't get a PC port after being fixed, and be even more surprised if it doesn't get some sort of cross-play with PC if the port happens.

What the MCC should have been is still an amazing idea, and it not being that at launch doesn't mean that it can't still be that. Being able to play every Halo game on the same machine is extremely enticing. It's going to be hard to get people to pay money for the game again, no doubt, but putting it in Game with Gold for a month, and/or putting the game in Games Pass is a great way to get it back in peoples hands. All it takes is one or two people in a friend group to start playing again, and then the whole group is hooked. It is still classic Halo. It's still just plain old fun. I agree that cross-game playlists suck, but in the blog post they talked about redoing playlists, and said that they are trying to implement a custom games browser. A custom games browser is the perfect way that this game's multiplayer should have been set up. Allow people to play exactly what they want to play. Of all games this game needs something like that most of all.

The series is in a rough spot right now but 343i seem to really be trying and understand the situation that MCC and Halo 5 put them in. Being so willing to fix MCC is a great sign. Their newfound push for transparency and a lot of the things that they have done behind the scenes make it appear as though 343i are making the right moves.
The moment they introduce PC and console cross play is the moment consoles will be dead. I know I will more likely stop playing then. PCs are way to easy to use cheats and hacks and will no doubt give console gamers a disadvantage. I hope to never see it. Anyways I guess I am glad they are attempting to do something with MCC. But time will tell if it's worth while. I want to see some of the questions answered in the top thread. Maybe that will give me more hope.
I have four Platinum packs... If we match in a game send me a quick message in game saying I see you or something (so I can verify we did match) and a friend request so I can gift you a pack. You don't have to keep me as a "friend" as I am a solo player.
LethalQ wrote:
The moment they introduce PC and console cross play is the moment consoles will be dead. I know I will more likely stop playing then. PCs are way to easy to use cheats and hacks and will no doubt give console gamers a disadvantage. I hope to never see it. Anyways I guess I am glad they are attempting to do something with MCC. But time will tell if it's worth while. I want to see some of the questions answered in the top thread. Maybe that will give me more hope.
I don't think that's true at all. Sure, PC are easier to cheat on, but steps can be made to stop that from happening as much as possible. Consoles and PC are for two different crowds. Cross play wouldn't stop that from being true, it would just mean that the player pool is bigger, which is never a bad thing.
LethalQ wrote:
I don't think that's true at all. Sure, PC are easier to cheat on, but steps can be made to stop that from happening as much as possible. Consoles and PC are for two different crowds. Cross play wouldn't stop that from being true, it would just mean that the player pool is bigger, which is never a bad thing.
Wish I could believe that but as long as it takes some developers to fix just the exploits gamers find on consoles adding PCs to the mix they will never keep up. Even after a fix a PC can find another way around the fix. I would like to see a bigger player pool but not at the cost of level playing field.
LethalQ wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Wish I could believe that but as long as it takes some developers to fix just the exploits gamers find on consoles adding PCs to the mix they will never keep up. Even after a fix a PC can find another way around the fix. I would like to see a bigger player pool but not at the cost of level playing field.
Every game that Microsoft has released over the last two years has been also launched on PC, and none of them have had bad issues. Gears 4 even has cross-play. I think that you're overestimating the issues.
I mostly don't agree with it. A part of me is saying "Is it too little, too late?" and a small part is saying that this is great commitment to improving a game that is over 3 years old.

In a business sense, I don't understand it. This wont generate much revenue for 343. Yes, more people will re-download it and play the game, but the people who will go back and play the game, already have MCC in the first place. That is why I don't understand from a business sense.

From a consumer and a gamer perspective, it's good. Fair enough, the game should've released how we and 343 wanted it over 3 years ago, but now we have a game that we can enjoy, and not worry if the game is going to crash every 30 seconds.

I like to see it, but I cant understand why 343 have done this. It's brilliant, don't get me wrong, but it just feels like it benefits very few. People have moved on, so to speak. Sure, I'll pop on for the odd game or two for nostalgia reasons, but for the most part, my time on the game wont increase too drastically I don't think from this.

TL;DR: I appreciate it, but I don't understand why 343 have done it.
343 have said that the MCC has maintained enough of a playerbase to be worth revisiting.
- and i am going to add "even in the state it's in".

If they can make it so it's a pleasure to play the population will increase - a lot of people will be happy to get a party together & go and play some OG halo like the old days. They may not do it every day or even every week but there is so much love for the games from people that they will come.

The difficulty is making it so it's a pleasure to play but I can suggest just 3 things which will massively improve the experience. (in no particular order)

1. Filling and emptying the roster player by player.
- So annoying just watching 'searching....' and waiting for that magical startup or the roster is suddenly half full and your like 'yaaay nearly there' and then POW and back to searching with an empty roster.

2. Easy party making and cohesion.
- so obvious i've got nothing else to say.

3. Opt-in game and gametype matching.
- Just tick the box H3 and BTB if thats all you want to play. Me, I'm ticking the box for CE, 2, 3, 2A and any gametype. Yums that's my jam.
A notification of how many players match your search criteria would be cool.

and for me I would really like a 4v4 CE option in there somewhere. I am too much of thumbless noob to go into 2v2 and be a millstone for my only teammate.
I mostly don't agree with it. A part of me is saying "Is it too little, too late?" and a small part is saying that this is great commitment to improving a game that is over 3 years old.

In a business sense, I don't understand it. This wont generate much revenue for 343. Yes, more people will re-download it and play the game, but the people who will go back and play the game, already have MCC in the first place. That is why I don't understand from a business sense.

From a consumer and a gamer perspective, it's good. Fair enough, the game should've released how we and 343 wanted it over 3 years ago, but now we have a game that we can enjoy, and not worry if the game is going to crash every 30 seconds.

I like to see it, but I cant understand why 343 have done this. It's brilliant, don't get me wrong, but it just feels like it benefits very few. People have moved on, so to speak. Sure, I'll pop on for the odd game or two for nostalgia reasons, but for the most part, my time on the game wont increase too drastically I don't think from this.

TL;DR: I appreciate it, but I don't understand why 343 have done it.
I take them at their word when they say that it's a perfect storm right now when it comes to fixing MCC. Xbox One X and behind the scenes changes to systems for Xbox are what make it possible, and the imminent release of Halo 6 is a big part of it too.

MCC is a huge stain on the series and 343i. One that's going to hurt sales of any game. Fixing MCC and using it as a humbling moment should win back a decent amount of support for the series. Time is important as well, and is why I think that Halo 6 won't release until 2019, but the combination is what is required for the series to return to where it needs to be. And I think that that's why they are doing it now. 2018 is their year to heal some wounds, and then 2019 is moving forward.
343 have said that the MCC has maintained enough of a playerbase to be worth revisiting.
- and i am going to add "even in the state it's in".

If they can make it so it's a pleasure to play the population will increase - a lot of people will be happy to get a party together & go and play some OG halo like the old days. They may not do it every day or even every week but there is so much love for the games from people that they will come.

The difficulty is making it so it's a pleasure to play but I can suggest just 3 things which will massively improve the experience. (in no particular order)

1. Filling and emptying the roster player by player.
- So annoying just watching 'searching....' and waiting for that magical startup or the roster is suddenly half full and your like 'yaaay nearly there' and then POW and back to searching with an empty roster.

2. Easy party making and cohesion.
- so obvious i've got nothing else to say.

3. Opt-in game and gametype matching.
- Just tick the box H3 and BTB if thats all you want to play. Me, I'm ticking the box for CE, 2, 3, 2A and any gametype. Yums that's my jam.
A notification of how many players match your search criteria would be cool.

and for me I would really like a 4v4 CE option in there somewhere. I am too much of thumbless noob to go into 2v2 and be a millstone for my only teammate.
It's still in the top 50 of most played games, which isn't great for a Halo game, but is still very good. It still has a very active community if you go by those numbers.

The custom games browser they talked about in the blog post is what this game needs IMO. There are too many options for a classic playlist approach to work well.
LethalQ wrote:
Now before you get upset hear me out. While I like that 343 is going to go back and work on MCC but let's be real here. It's probably to little to late. I have been playing MCC a bit more lately and while yeah it clearly still needs work even if it's improved the players more likely won't come back because of one thing.....these "cross game playlist". These are just toilet. Wouldn't it be better to just start fresh? What they probably should do is this. Make Halo CE anniversary and Halo 2 anniversary on one disc. Then since it's only two games it will be easy to keep the multi player playlist separate. Just include way more maps and game types. Then make enhancements for the other Halo games that are all backward compatible. Then Halo players can actually play the Halo they want with modern graphics. It's so heart breaking to go into MCC particularly BTB and your heart starts racing as you see Halo CE death island slayer.... But then of course something like H3 one flag last resort wins, the camptastic game type on what is actually the worse playing Halo in MCC. Another thing that concerns me is that usually when 343 "updated" something, even in H5, other things stopped working correctly. I hate to kinda be saying abandon MCC I just don't see them "fixing" it enough to make much difference at this point. Granted it's probably to late at this point. They may as finish this upcoming "update" and see what happens. It all seems like a "promise for a great journey" at this point.
Yeah I know that nothing can truly revive the game, and that the game playlists are infected by Halo 3 cultists. Still it is good pr to fix this mess of a game and I am looking forward to the bug fixes. Also from a marketing standpoint they can re release the game and make it a selling point for the new xbox if they do it right. Remember halo pushes console sales and newer halo games don't have the rep that the older ones have. If they do it right they can fix the game and make money doing it so it can be a win for everyone involved. I predict that it won't really work out, but maybe they will start over and build the game from scratch so that they don't have to worry so much about an update causing more bugs. I think they need to start over because something in the base coding of the game seems to be off and it likely can't be just patched over.
LethalQ wrote:
Yeah I know that nothing can truly revive the game, and that the game playlists are infected by Halo 3 cultists. Still it is good pr to fix this mess of a game and I am looking forward to the bug fixes. Also from a marketing standpoint they can re release the game and make it a selling point for the new xbox if they do it right. Remember halo pushes console sales and newer halo games don't have the rep that the older ones have. If they do it right they can fix the game and make money doing it so it can be a win for everyone involved. I predict that it won't really work out, but maybe they will start over and build the game from scratch so that they don't have to worry so much about an update causing more bugs. I think they need to start over because something in the base coding of the game seems to be off and it likely can't be just patched over.
Rerelease? And drain more money out of the fanbase that has been let down as of late
LethalQ wrote:
Rerelease? And drain more money out of the fanbase that has been let down as of late
I mean to re make the game from the ground up then make it a free download that wipes the old game off of the HHD for those that have the game. Then also release a new disk that has the full remade game.
LethalQ wrote:
I mean to re make the game from the ground up then make it a free download that wipes the old game off of the HHD for those that have the game. Then also release a new disk that has the full remade game.
Yes,but recharge for a game that people have already bought.That's not gonna fly with people

Everytime i heard about pc port for mcc, my heart gets warmer 🐢
Here's a link below showing this issue is being addressed below.

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/7r1cyw/evidence_of_how_bad_cross_game_playlists_are_in/

Also I want to point out a couple of thing's about the population issue that a lot of people bring up about the MCC. I've collected a lot of data, seen comments on here, reddit, other gaming wesbites etc. The population isn't a issue with the MCC. At most it takes a minute on my end on average to get to the map voting selection in MM. I also averaged the percent of matching up against someone the same day or night based off that data you have a 2 percent chance of matching someone in a populated playlist the same day or night. ( TS or BTB).

In regards to OP's original post it seem's there is quite a lot of people requesting cross game adjustments me being one of them. Look no further then Ske7ch's thread about what you want to ask the MCC team on this very forum.

By the way Lethal I'm stilling doing Halo CE Custom's 2 years later. Your always welcome to join up whenever. Had a couple of great matches lately with a 16 player lobby.
LethalQ wrote:
Yes,but recharge for a game that people have already bought.That's not gonna fly with people
There would be no re charge. If you have it you have it. If you don't have it then you would need to buy it.
I am fairly certain that retooling MCC will also be a part of a major marketing push for the next big Halo game, which I think given the overall reception of Guardians, will be made more in the image of the original games. MCC has also been a part of a few bundles as a download code which leads me to believe they could incorporate that title into the Play Anywhere program which would also serve as major news, generating excitement around Halo and getting people ready for the next installment--in a very similar manner to what MCC was for Halo 5.
I absolutely think it needs to be worked on. I hope that with the update it will work like it was intended to when it launched. I personally am playing a lot of MCC these days, largely because Halo 5 is lacking so many things still after 2+ years. I would love to see it work better, get a playlist refresh, and possibly some new Halo 2 anniversary maps! I know I'm dreaming a little bit, but a Spartan can hope.
I absolutely think it needs to be worked on. I hope that with the update it will work like it was intended to when it launched. I personally am playing a lot of MCC these days, largely because Halo 5 is lacking so many things still after 2+ years. I would love to see it work better, get a playlist refresh, and possibly some new Halo 2 anniversary maps! I know I'm dreaming a little bit, but a Spartan can hope.
Yeah I would absolutely love to see more H2A maps, especially waterworks (even though we would probably never get to play it since btb is dominated by H3). But this update seems to be geared towards function of the game and not necessarily content.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3