Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection

So do other regions just not exist or what?

OP II Brownee II

I mean I get it, old game/s, expected to be thrown overseas a fair amount of times. America is a big country, lots of boomers and a weird young generation among the population playing, plenty of game development itself done there, etc, etc. But I didn't expect it this much.
I'm kind of longing for Halo 3 and Reach's old game prioritisation system because this by default just seems to default to Halo 2's old and unchangeable method of "just find a game fast."
I feel like if it were right there on the game/mode selection screen to prioritize Matchmaking with 'Good connection' games, or other options, like you could back in the 3/Reach/4 days, more people would actively select those options and would pair up regions faster.

I know I can deselect other regions in my network settings, but even if I make 'West US' my only non-selected region, it does not want to find any games after 30+ minutes of waiting, regardless of what day/time I try.
And like, yeah, I'm kind of adapting to the best of my ability, but being an Australian forced to play with Americans... It's like I'm using Water guns/bombs compared to the other players. I'd like to think my teams don't think I'm that crap to have dumped so much more ammo into dudes, but trying to lead shots only does so much when I'm constantly wondering how lag manages to make it look like the effectiveness of my bullets is like pokes despite a fully unloaded BR/DMR to the face is met with what looks like a 3-shot death back to me. Or how it looks as though my grenades are equivalent to breathing on them slightly warmly compared to the nuke tossed roughly near me that I stood four corpse lengths away from.

I find it really difficult to believe nobody in my region is playing at the usual suspect times one would think the average American (gamer or otherwise) to be asleep. But there I get thrown overseas anyway, because someone over there constantly needs satisfaction in somehow always just barely getting missed.
Fellow Aussie here mate, the sad reality is we just don't have the playing population in our region to find regular good connection games. Not to mention there are so many Game Type search fields that the very low population is diminished even more. Personally I can't be bothered waiting, and I suspect most Aussies playing don't restrict search fields either they just want to jump into a game, so the chances of finding a game for our region is limited. I've had to adjust to playing on 200+ping... leading shots, anticipating movement... Screaming Internally at the audacity of them shooting me through walls... you understand.
Fellow Aussie here mate, the sad reality is we just don't have the playing population in our region to find regular good connection games. Not to mention there are so many Game Type search fields that the very low population is diminished even more. Personally I can't be bothered waiting, and I suspect most Aussies playing don't restrict search fields either they just want to jump into a game, so the chances of finding a game for our region is limited. I've had to adjust to playing on 200+ping... leading shots, anticipating movement... Screaming Internally at the audacity of them shooting me through walls... you understand.
200+ ping? Wow. No wonder you have so much trouble finding a game. It does suck to be in a low game-playing population area which drags down the experience even more. Yeesh
A fellow asian here. My lowest ping which i have ever got was in south east asia which was 129 i believe. Mostly i find matches in west Europe which has 200-270 ping which is understandable cuz we don’t have that many players here. I can also under stand the frustration of Australian players which have o deal with this issue. Can easily find game in 4v4. However 1v1 and 2v2 is a different story never found a game in it. As for 8 ffa found it once. Im 12 hours ahead of pt so i can find btb matches at my night time. Its always either 3,4 or reach. If i get lucky i get h2a but played only few matches in 1 and 2 which is 1% of my total matches which sucks.
I can handle ping in between 150-250. I dont have to lead my shots other than 3. Or predict movement etc just like the person above me said which i really don’t understand why i dont have to lead shots in such high ping but hey i complaining. At least its playable
See I don't really consider it unplayable at all. Frustrating at times, sure, particularly with a long string of games where, in my view, I can see bullets impacting on them, but not in such a way to register with a big shield flicker. But despite that, I'm still surprising myself in how I can top some games despite the handicap.

Also ironically shortly after posting this thread, I did actually manage to get a game in Australia for once. Was a BTB in Reach, which is not my preferred game, but like I'm gonna complain with a gift like that. And Ohhhh myyyyy goooood, it was absolutely beautiful to see things register properly when and where I fire. Best thing I've played and best I've done in any match since buying the MCC.

STILL, I'm just saying, or suggesting even, if the option to set a prioritization for games to find were right there on the same screen you can pick and choose which games/modes to search for in much the same way that original 3, Reach and 4 did. I feel like more people would actively priority search 'Good Connection' games, particularly in international regions, which in turn would have those lower populated players join up more conveniently and quicker. Maybe still a wait, but not 10-30mins waiting.
Because the ability to disable regions isn't really a prioritization method, the matchmaking is still defaulting to search for games quickly. It's the same problems I had with pretty much all games that included matchmaking, Call of Duty for example. I don't know if they've changed since I stopped playing that series, but by default and without changing, it just searches the first available game it can throw you into, regardless of what your latency is going to be like.
I thought the MCC initially starts searching a lower ping region like my own before restarting the search periodically and branching out until it finds something, but I'm getting the impression it doesn't since some days when I get on, it'll just immediately, within five seconds of the search starting, throw me into a game that ends up in America.
A matchmaking system like that when previously, from 3 onwards, you could prioritize what to search for on the same screen you start to search, was a convenience that seems like a step backwards when its been excluded here.

But you know, I'm just sorta simplifying how I think it works in my head without actually knowing how the internet works, so for all I know it probably just straight up can't be done, or is not at all how it works, or whatever. Just more intending to draw attention to how it worked perfectly well and fine with individual games with that nifty little option.