Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

[Locked] Spawn Camping...Legitimate or No?

OP thewholecity

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I've never been a fan of spawn camping, but want to keep an open mind. The other day, I was in a BTB one flag CTF and the other team had SIX people quit. We defended the flag easily and then captured it on our first round of offense. When I picked up the flag and went to capture it in the second round, a teammate betrayed me, picked up the flag, and continued to drop/pick it up. While he did so, he and other teammates spawn camped the last two guys on the other squad. I just wanted to end it ASAP so these players, who stuck it out for us, could go on their way.

Was this a legitimate play on my team's part? Or do you consider it unsportsmanlike behavior?
Using spawn camping to gain a tactical advantage to win is ok to me.... But doing it to stat pad K/D's and drag out games unnecessarily is unsportsmanlike IMO. However those last two players should have quit out. They probably didn't know if over half the team leaves the rest can quit without penalty.
LethalQ wrote:
Using spawn camping to gain a tactical advantage to win is ok to me.... But doing it to stat pad K/D's and drag out games unnecessarily is unsportsmanlike IMO. However those last two players should have quit out. They probably didn't know if over half the team leaves the rest can quit without penalty.
I tend to feel the same. What really annoyed me in this game was that I was half way to scoring the winning flag when my teammate betrayed me. He only prevented me from capturing the flag to pad some stats.
Purposefully withholding the flag is unsportsmanlike conduct. If I see my teammates doing it, I’ll betray for cap or try push them into the cap zone.
Purposefully withholding the flag is unsportsmanlike conduct. If I see my teammates doing it, I’ll betray for cap or try push them into the cap zone.
And this is why people run in teams of 8. I’m neutral on spawn killing it’s just a game. If I match with a team I don’t to rock the boat go with the flow be cool
I am fine with spawn camping if it is done to try and get the flag even if I don't like it when I have it happen to me. However, making it to where the game can't end because you want more kills isn't good.
I've never been a fan of spawn camping, but want to keep an open mind. The other day, I was in a BTB one flag CTF and the other team had SIX people quit. We defended the flag easily and then captured it on our first round of offense. When I picked up the flag and went to capture it in the second round, a teammate betrayed me, picked up the flag, and continued to drop/pick it up. While he did so, he and other teammates spawn camped the last two guys on the other squad. I just wanted to end it ASAP so these players, who stuck it out for us, could go on their way.

Was this a legitimate play on my team's part? Or do you consider it unsportsmanlike behavior?
If players are cheating via 'spawn' trapping just report the players and you can even use the Halo support page and upload proof. It's technically unsportsmanlike behaviour regardless if some gamers try to rationalise cheating. Besides reporting players there's not much else that can be done.
ronnie42 wrote:

If players are cheating via 'spawn' trapping just report the players and you can even use the Halo support page and upload proof. It's technically unsportsmanlike behaviour regardless if some gamers try to rationalise cheating. Besides reporting players there's not much else that can be done.
It’s not a bannable offense. It’s not ddosing or hacking or using mods. Spawn killing has been a thing in every fps game. Some may not like it but it’s been a thing forever. If you want to keep a team of your flag you spawn trap em til
the timer runs out. You want to keep the team of their own bomb so they cannot plant it spawn trap em. It’s legitimate, why would you purposely let the other team near your base or grab their bomb that’s not smart
I don't enjoy spawn camping, but it is a legitimate strategy unless it is used to drag out games just to get more kills in an objective mode. That's when spawn camping is bad
ronnie42 wrote:

It’s not a bannable offense. It’s not ddosing or hacking or using mods. Spawn killing has been a thing in every fps game. Some may not like it but it’s been a thing forever. If you want to keep a team of your flag you spawn trap em til
the timer runs out. You want to keep the team of their own bomb so they cannot plant it spawn trap em. It’s legitimate, why would you purposely let the other team near your base or grab their bomb that’s not smart
I'm not interested in players trying to rationalise cheating. Cheating is still cheating regardless of if 343i decides to act on them. Calling it 'legit' doesn't make it any less cheating no matter how many times you try to tell others. It's not ok. There are plenty of ways to keep the 'flag' without resorting to cheating. It's technically 'unsporting' and is there in the report function for a reason. If I see people doing it in-game then they will be reported.
I think it is a legitimate strategy but only in Team Slayer/FFA gametypes. If someone is staying back, holding the flag/bomb, purposely not scoring to end the round or to score a point then I would consider it cheating/griefing.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

I'm not interested in players trying to rationalise cheating. Cheating is still cheating regardless of if 343i decides to act on them. Calling it 'legit' doesn't make it any less cheating no matter how many times you try to tell others. It's not ok. There are plenty of ways to keep the 'flag' without resorting to cheating. It's technically 'unsporting' and is there in the report function for a reason. If I see people doing it in-game then they will be reported.
Lol what’s next team coordination is cheating? Bruh why would you want to let the other team bear the obj if the goal is to keep them away. What other ways is there besides turtling and that results in a very very boring game for both teams.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Lol what’s next coordination is cheating? Bruh why would you want to let the other team bear the obj if the goal is to keep them away
Like I said I'm not interested in players trying to rationalise cheating and you know full well that spawn camping is cheating and it has 'nothing' to do with objectives...this is about gamers on purpose exploiting the game to gain an advantage aka cheating. You can try to rationalise it all you want...I will always give the same answer and players doing it will be reported.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Lol what’s next coordination is cheating? Bruh why would you want to let the other team bear the obj if the goal is to keep them away
Like I said I'm not interested in players trying to rationalise cheating and you know full well that spawn camping is cheating and it has 'nothing' to do with objectives...this is about gamers on purpose exploiting the game to gain an advantage aka cheating. You can try to rationalise it all you want...I will always give the same answer and players doing it will be reported.
It’s not cheating because it makes no sense to report it
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

It’s not cheating because it makes no sense to report it
I'm done repeating myself.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Killing players right when they spawn is not cheating. That is playing the game as it is designed. As long as players aren't using some sort of hack to do stuff in the game that isn't designed that way isn't cheating. Spawn killing as always been a thing. But it becomes "un-sportsmanlike" in an objective based game were your team can clearly win a game but won't just so you can rack up kills. Which is one reason why I hardly ever play or even want to play, any objective based game type. Objective usually turns into a long slayer match because most seem to want to just slay. I see it in FFA quite often... Players with zero hill time or zero ball time but end up with like 30 or 40 kills because they just avoided the objected and sat back and slayed all game.
LethalQ wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Killing players right when they spawn is not cheating. That is playing the game as it is designed. As long as players aren't using some sort of hack to do stuff in the game that isn't designed that way isn't cheating. Spawn killing as always been a thing. But it becomes "un-sportsmanlike" in an objective based game were your team can clearly win a game but won't just so you can rack up kills. Which is one reason why I hardly ever play or even want to play, any objective based game type. Objective usually turns into a long slayer match because most seem to want to just slay. I see it in FFA quite often... Players with zero hill time or zero ball time but end up with like 30 or 40 kills because they just avoided the objected and sat back and slayed all game.
Stopping players from being able to play the entire game with no way to avoid is cheating. Designs flaws are an exploit....that players are clearly taking advantage of. Just like 343i have frowned upon Griffball farm killing. Just because something can be done does not mean it's not cheating. Just like when 'ranked professionals' glitch out of maps due to map flaws and they get banned in tournaments. Getting a few accidentally spawn kills is 1 thing but farming spawn kills so the team can't do anything the entire game is to be blunt 'cheating' no matter how you try to rationalise since that's using a games design exploit to gain an advantage. Like I've said multiple times...if I see it happen I will report it and move on. Why some people are trying to rationalise game exploits makes no sense.
ronnie42 wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Stopping players from being able to play the entire game with no way to avoid is cheating. Designs flaws are an exploit....that players are clearly taking advantage of. Just like 343i have frowned upon Griffball farm killing. Just because something can be done does not mean it's not cheating. Just like when 'ranked professionals' glitch out of maps due to map flaws and they get banned in tournaments. Getting a few accidentally spawn kills is 1 thing but farming spawn kills so the team can't do anything the entire game is to be blunt 'cheating' no matter how you try to rationalise since that's using a games design exploit to gain an advantage. Like I've said multiple times...if I see it happen I will report it and move on. Why some people are trying to rationalise game exploits makes no sense.
Glitching out of maps is different than spawn killing. That’s glitching
ronnie42 wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Glitching out of maps to avoid being killed and spawn killing are both exploits...
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Glitching out of maps to avoid being killed and spawn killing are both exploits...
Glitching is getting to unintended parts of the map. Other one is just killing your opponents on their own ground. There is a CLEAR difference here, one is legit one is cheating. You cannot grasp that
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3