Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

[Locked] Spawn Camping...Legitimate or No?

OP thewholecity

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Its not against game rules but it is scummy no matter how you slice it. Tactically its very useful of course but its not an enjoyable experience for the spawncamped team and its the reason why many people forge maps with the intent to avoid such things.

It also raises the issue of dynamic spawning, if a team is bound solely to an unprotected base anyone can access then there’s always going to be someone trying to camp it for free kills and power weapons.

You dont need to spawncamp to win, give your enemies a chance.
Geez, I’ve heard it all now lol. “Here you go little buddy, I’m not going to shoot you. Here is a rocket launcher. That should help you get some kills. Let’s run opposite directions and count to 10 and resume gameplay. I want to give you a chance and make your experience enjoyable. This is a safe environment, you should feel safe here.”
They spawn killed TWO remaining players? I'm sorry but that is hilarious, they must have been very desperate to farm kills.
Its not against game rules but it is scummy no matter how you slice it. Tactically its very useful of course but its not an enjoyable experience for the spawncamped team and its the reason why many people forge maps with the intent to avoid such things.

It also raises the issue of dynamic spawning, if a team is bound solely to an unprotected base anyone can access then there’s always going to be someone trying to camp it for free kills and power weapons.

Geez, I’ve heard it all now lol. “Here you go little buddy, I’m not going to shoot you. Here is a rocket launcher. That should help you get some kills. Let’s run opposite directions and count to 10 and resume gameplay. I want to give you a chance and make your experience enjoyable. This is a safe environment, you should feel safe here.”
Lol who plays like that nobody

You're right, nobody does that and nobody says they did. Games should at least try to spawn you in a safe spot. If you're getting shot at within a few seconds of spawning, its seems unfair to me. Let me use an example. If you're outside an enemy base keeping them inside. I think that's better than sniping someone the second they spawn.

You're right, nobody does that and nobody says they did. Games should at least try to spawn you in a safe spot. If you're getting shot at within a few seconds of spawning, its seems unfair to me. Let me use an example. If you're outside an enemy base keeping them inside. I think that's better than sniping someone the second they spawn.
For obj games predictable spawns are ideal. You don’t want random spawns for a flag game that’s stupid. Defenders have a spawn and so do attackers. Slayer having spawn flips sure not obj modes. A good team should be able to lockdown the spawns so the other team can’t plant or take flag it’s the ideal way to play

Putting words in my mouth must be a common hobby for people here. Is basic reading comprehension that terrible or are you an outlier?

I dont want you coddle your enemies, I want you to try and be fair and decent. Evidently you arent if your first reaction is to insult what I said instead of actually making a constructive counterpoint. Fair matches are always more enjoyable than one sided matches with a clear winner. A fair match is also more engaging. One sided games tend to involve the losing team quitting or giving up/giving in due to annoyance and anger. Its not fun.

Maybe your gift this Christmas will be the gift of basic education so you can learn how to read without inventing pure fiction based on what you **think** someone else is saying.

I hope your day is as pleasant as you are.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show

Putting words in my mouth must be a common hobby for people here. Is basic reading comprehension that terrible or are you an outlier?

I dont want you coddle your enemies, I want you to try and be fair and decent. Evidently you arent if your first reaction is to insult what I said instead of actually making a constructive counterpoint. Fair matches are always more enjoyable than one sided matches with a clear winner. A fair match is also more engaging. One sided games tend to involve the losing team quitting or giving up/giving in due to annoyance and anger. Its not fun.

Maybe your gift this Christmas will be the gift of basic education so you can learn how to read without inventing pure fiction based on what you **think** someone else is saying.

No match is always going to be even a good team won’t let the other team near the flag or close to the base. Coddling players doesn’t make them better it rewards bads. You want coddling go play cod where aggressive sbmm really sucks the fun out of the game and promotes reverse boosting
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
I've never been a fan of spawn camping, but want to keep an open mind. The other day, I was in a BTB one flag CTF and the other team had SIX people quit. We defended the flag easily and then captured it on our first round of offense. When I picked up the flag and went to capture it in the second round, a teammate betrayed me, picked up the flag, and continued to drop/pick it up. While he did so, he and other teammates spawn camped the last two guys on the other squad. I just wanted to end it ASAP so these players, who stuck it out for us, could go on their way.

Was this a legitimate play on my team's part? Or do you consider it unsportsmanlike behavior?
If players are cheating via 'spawn' trapping just report the players and you can even use the Halo support page and upload proof. It's technically unsportsmanlike behaviour regardless if some gamers try to rationalise cheating. Besides reporting players there's not much else that can be done.
It’s not a bannable offense. It’s not ddosing or hacking or using mods. Spawn killing has been a thing in every fps game. Some may not like it but it’s been a thing forever. If you want to keep a team of your flag you spawn trap em til
the timer runs out. You want to keep the team of their own bomb so they cannot plant it spawn trap em. It’s legitimate, why would you purposely let the other team near your base or grab their bomb that’s not smart
I'm not interested in players trying to rationalise cheating. Cheating is still cheating regardless of if 343i decides to act on them. Calling it 'legit' doesn't make it any less cheating no matter how many times you try to tell others. It's not ok. There are plenty of ways to keep the 'flag' without resorting to cheating. It's technically 'unsporting' and is there in the report function for a reason. If I see people doing it in-game then they will be reported.
Lol what’s next team coordination is cheating? Bruh why would you want to let the other team bear the obj if the goal is to keep them away. What other ways is there besides turtling and that results in a very very boring game for both teams.
For someone who is "neutral" on spawn camping, you seem to argue in its favor a lot. Almost like you're not neutral, or something crazy like that.

I don't care that you think spawn camping is cool. I care that you're dishonest about it, because you know that it's unsporting behavior. Then again, maybe you just didn't want to "rock the boat".
Spoiler:
Show

*don’t
*aren’t
*it’s
If you are going to attempt an insult with the implications being a lack of education, at least learn to properly use contractions. It’s basic 2nd grade English level stuff.
You are indeed suggesting that enemies should be coddled. Players who invest the time to learn spawn tendencies and proper utilization of spawns should 100% be rewarded for that. Several halo players are great shots. Elite players separate themselves from the rest by their intellectual advantages gained through practice and study. I am by no means elite, but if a player/team successfully put me and my team in spawn traps, then kudos to that team. They have certainly earned it. Spawn trapping should be used in every possible scenario. It sets up for map control, weapon control, power ups control, and overall dictation of game flow. It is exactly how the designers set up the sandbox of each map to be played. Intellectual superiority is indeed the separating factor of the good and the great. Great players should not coddle opposing teams. The luxury of theatre mode (on select halo games) allows players to analyze those “elite” player tendencies and adapt their game accordingly.
To the OP’s point, if it is 8v2 on an objective game and the team of 8 is purposefully avoiding the objective to farm kills, then that is unsportsmanlike. Perhaps my previous comment (sorry it was condescending) was an exaggeration, but it still serves a valid point. Highly skilled players should not coddle other players simply so everyone has a jolly good time. Jolly good times can be achieved in custom games. Cheers!
Reading comprehension ≠ using an apostrophe appropriately. I was insulting your decency not your grammar smartass.

That and you literally fabricated an entire fictional scenario to visualise my point that terriblely misconstrues it.

You entirely missed my point and created your own with your vivid but ultimately ignorant mind that doesn’t understand what “balance” means in a game, evidently.

Got any more grammar corrections you want to make pedantically or are you done looking like a moron for today?

Have a good one.
I mean, you did say I need to get an education. Education to learn decency??? Since you asked, here are a few more:
*grammar, smartass (missing comma)
*that, and (missing another comma)
*Have any more.. (“got” is incorrect)
*pendantically, or (comma missing)

Again, don’t challenge someone to get an education if you can’t properly utilize basic punctuations.

Back on subject with a few honest questions. 1.) How should a skilled player adapt his/her gameplay to eliminate spawn trapping? 2.) How does the player counter the negative effects that playing less aggressive has on map control, weapon control, power ups control, objective gameplay control (not talking about -Yoinks!- spawn trapping 8v2 in order to pad stats), and a proper way to achieve kills quickly in slayer? Genuinely interested in specifics here. Vague answers insinuating it is unfair and indecent offer little substance. I offered some feedback in my previous comment, but you have yet to provide and constructive alternatives to spawn camping, along with the adverse effects of skilled players intentionally holding back.
Thank you for a worthless conversation. Unfortunately because you decided being a Grammar Nazi was more of a priority than making a statement, this conversation ends here.
Spoiler:
Show

*don’t
*aren’t
*it’s
If you are going to attempt an insult with the implications being a lack of education, at least learn to properly use contractions. It’s basic 2nd grade English level stuff.
You are indeed suggesting that enemies should be coddled. Players who invest the time to learn spawn tendencies and proper utilization of spawns should 100% be rewarded for that. Several halo players are great shots. Elite players separate themselves from the rest by their intellectual advantages gained through practice and study. I am by no means elite, but if a player/team successfully put me and my team in spawn traps, then kudos to that team. They have certainly earned it. Spawn trapping should be used in every possible scenario. It sets up for map control, weapon control, power ups control, and overall dictation of game flow. It is exactly how the designers set up the sandbox of each map to be played. Intellectual superiority is indeed the separating factor of the good and the great. Great players should not coddle opposing teams. The luxury of theatre mode (on select halo games) allows players to analyze those “elite” player tendencies and adapt their game accordingly.
To the OP’s point, if it is 8v2 on an objective game and the team of 8 is purposefully avoiding the objective to farm kills, then that is unsportsmanlike. Perhaps my previous comment (sorry it was condescending) was an exaggeration, but it still serves a valid point. Highly skilled players should not coddle other players simply so everyone has a jolly good time. Jolly good times can be achieved in custom games. Cheers!
Reading comprehension ≠ using an apostrophe appropriately. I was insulting your decency not your grammar smartass.

That and you literally fabricated an entire fictional scenario to visualise my point that terriblely misconstrues it.

You entirely missed my point and created your own with your vivid but ultimately ignorant mind that doesn’t understand what “balance” means in a game, evidently.

Got any more grammar corrections you want to make pedantically or are you done looking like a moron for today?

Have a good one.
I mean, you did say I need to get an education. Education to learn decency??? Since you asked, here are a few more:
*grammar, smartass (missing comma)
*that, and (missing another comma)
*Have any more.. (“got” is incorrect)
*pendantically, or (comma missing)

Again, don’t challenge someone to get an education if you can’t properly utilize basic punctuations.

Back on subject with a few honest questions. 1.) How should a skilled player adapt his/her gameplay to eliminate spawn trapping? 2.) How does the player counter the negative effects that playing less aggressive has on map control, weapon control, power ups control, objective gameplay control (not talking about -Yoinks!- spawn trapping 8v2 in order to pad stats), and a proper way to achieve kills quickly in slayer? Genuinely interested in specifics here. Vague answers insinuating it is unfair and indecent offer little substance. I offered some feedback in my previous comment, but you have yet to provide and constructive alternatives to spawn camping, along with the adverse effects of skilled players intentionally holding back.
Aggressive playing is the optimal way to play. Everything else is just holding back so they don’t quit
This thread has gone well off the rails.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3