Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

Suggestions and improvements for H2A - Discussion

OP PIasmaArch3r

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Hello. This time I wanna say some suggestions to make Halo 2:Anniversary a game that resembles the Classic version more, in terms of gameplay.

* Vehicle tweaks:
- Buff the health of all the different vehicles. Currently, they are destroyed with less grenades or shots than in the old version, which drastically affects the gameplay.
- Hide the Ghost's weak point a bit more. Now, it can be destroyed with a single shot of a BR, accidentally or not.
- Buff the power of the Banshee main weapon, and maybe the bullets speed. They're so easy to dodge, and do very little damage compared to the original.
- Although the Mongosse/Gungoose wasn't in the Classic version, I suggest to increase its damage at least x2 (it has issues when killing, even if the enemies have been already weakened).
- Add the Spectre, which was iconic of Halo 2 Classic, mainly for BTB or customs. The Shadow could be an interesting addition for BTB, in my opinion it would create a unique experience.
- Include the Shade Turret (campaign version).

* HUD: put the shield indicator in the correct point, which is at the top of the radar, instead of the screen (like Halo 4). Although it could be seen as minor change, this involves a drastical change in the gameplay, because you can't see both at the same time, so you're forced to either change your sight focus constantly (which can distract you) or place your TV further. I understand it's more of a personal preference, so to please both sides of the coin, I would make it entirely optional. Also, while in split-screen, crosshairs are not scaled in a suitable way: in fact they're too large.

* Weapon tweaks:
- Increase the size of the BR crosshair. Currently, it acts more like a Sniper than a mid range weapon, and its bullets are really accurate that way. In the classic version, however, it would suffer at the longest distances. Although it was powerful in the original Halo 2, its rate of fire could be nerfed a bit so the other weapons doesn't suffer as much as in the old matches. Also, the connection wasn't as good as nowadays, so the BR kills in 4 shots too often.
- Make Dual-wielding great again. One of the most fun and coordination rewarding features of the original version was nerfed, in a way that makes a single weapon nearly as powerful as two of them. I would suggest to increase the rate of fire of the SMG when dueled, which is the main issue. Currently, a single player with a BR can kill a Dual-SMGs user in close range, even if he started first and the BR user is not strafing. Change the secondary slot of the BR+Auto starts pack to be an SMG or at least a Magnum to allow those combinations.
- Buff the Plasma Rifle projectile speed and rate of fire to make it able to beat an SMG, and to be a valuable close range gun, like it was in the past.
- The Shotgun and Sword shoot and hit, respectively, seems to be prioritized when you shoot/melee someone with those weapons, in contrast to the normal melee, resulting in an unfair trade, or in the worst case, an unregistered hit. It has never happened to me in the old edition.

* Melee tweaks: this one is a bit less noticeable, however, if you play enough matchs, you will see the difference easily. The issue is the range; while in the classic version you can punch at longer distances, it's not possible anymore in the anniversary edition. However, the speed was nerfed very accurately and it keeps the damage system.

* Scenary tweaks: in the map Coagulation, teleporters were changed for boosters; in my opinion, that drastically changes classic gameplay and it should perform it better, so I'd suggest to change them with Forge (if possible).

* Sounds: players seems to be muted, either it's an Elite or an Spartan. That said, death and hit sounds should be added too. Also, the annocer talks too loud and the music sometimes ruins the atmosphere, which should be focused in the environment, players and weapons sounds exclusively. As this is more of a personal opinion, like the HUD one, make it optional to disable the music and to change the voice.

* Armor tweaks: while the Spartan skins are quite good, the Elite ones don't resemble those enemies properly; in fact, the height and look of the hybrid armour isn't accurate.

* Hit and grenade indicators: while in my opinion the hit markers are important to know if hits are being detected accurately, I think the grenade ones are more of an issue, because they reveal the position of a player who's hiding. Not to be confused with the grenade alert message, which is probably unnecessary too, due to the lack of listening skill it causes.

* Remake more maps: there are just 6 of 7 maps, instead of the nearly 30 maps of the classic Halo. Create some DLC packs, or if it's not possible, forge remakes could be a temporal suitable way. For instance, as many players suggested, Gemini, Ivory Tower or Turf for 4v4 and Containment, District, Waterworks and Headlong for BTB.

I think those are the most important improvements. What's your opinion? Have you encountered another differences?
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not edit or repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I really think the only way for the game to be a true successor is to have it use the original engine. H2 isn't the same without button combos, H2 animations, etc. The game also needs death sounds, classic looking armors (the MP armors are atrocious), and new maps and a new HUD like you said.

I respect their efforts to try and blend new and classic Halo, but it doesn't work out here because it's not Halo 2, which is why it's probably my least favorite multiplayer in the game.
I agree H2A needs some buffing in certain aspects. And as stated above, it also needs death sounds. It seems so empty and meaningless when you die or kill another spartan/elite when they're muted. Odd.
I agree H2A needs some buffing in certain aspects. And as stated above, it also needs death sounds. It seems so empty and meaningless when you die or kill another spartan/elite when they're muted. Odd.
I'll add that point.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not edit or repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
Spoiler:
Show
I agree with every point except maybe the one about the BR. H2A could use a rebalance.
omarlotrc wrote:
I agree with every point except maybe the one about the BR. H2A could use a rebalance.
How would you rebalance it?
omarlotrc wrote:
How would you rebalance it?
The entire vehicle system needs a revamp tbh. Dual wielding slows down the rate of fire, which should not be the case. Voiceovers need adjustment as well, but I don't think that'll ever happen.

As I said, I agreed with almost all of your points. :)
  • Add the Spectre, which was iconic of Halo 2 Classic, mainly for BTB or customs.
  • Remake more maps: there are just 6 of 7 maps, instead of the nearly 30 maps of the classic Halo. If it's not possible, forge remakes could be a temporal suitable way.
These two.
eLantern wrote:
  • Add the Spectre, which was iconic of Halo 2 Classic, mainly for BTB or customs.
  • Remake more maps: there are just 6 of 7 maps, instead of the nearly 30 maps of the classic Halo. If it's not possible, forge remakes could be a temporal suitable way.
These two.
I’m actually surprised & quite disappointed on how the Spectre wasn’t in H2A, but other than that H2A definitely needs more Remade maps, having like 6 maps is very stale atm
A balance update would be appreciated.
Never understood why we couldn't get the single player anniversary treatment of CE and H2 in multiplayer. Instead what we got were slightly modified versions of Reach and H4 as passing attempts for classic Halo games.
Never understood why we couldn't get the single player anniversary treatment of CE and H2 in multiplayer. Instead what we got were slightly modified versions of Reach and H4 as passing attempts for classic Halo games.
CE never had online multiplayer - when CEA was being developed it just wasn't possible to spend the time making the LAN environment work for online play, so Reach was used as the base so that the game could be shipped.

For H2A, the original multiplayer designers (who worked alongside 343 to get this shipped) wanted to do a directors cut of all the stuff they couldn't ship with the original H2 multiplayer. Doing this required more up to date tooling, hence why Halo 4 was used as a base. If you watch the ViDocs, they actually did spend a good amount of time trying to get things as accurate as possible - a week or 2 at one point with some testing to get jump heights correct.
stckrboy wrote:
CE never had online multiplayer - when CEA was being developed it just wasn't possible to spend the time making the LAN environment work for online play, so Reach was used as the base so that the game could be shipped.

For H2A, the original multiplayer designers (who worked alongside 343 to get this shipped) wanted to do a directors cut of all the stuff they couldn't ship with the original H2 multiplayer. Doing this required more up to date tooling, hence why Halo 4 was used as a base. If you watch the ViDocs, they actually did spend a good amount of time trying to get things as accurate as possible - a week or 2 at one point with some testing to get jump heights correct.
It's just always felt like a huge slap in the face to classic Halo players. The anniversary campaigns for CE and H2 looks and play wonderfully. The visuals are stunning, all the button combos work correctly. But then you play their respective multiplayers and it just feels like a watered down, very bitter experience. Just makes you think what MCC could have been if H2A wasn't so much like H4 and actually played like H2.
As a classic Halo player myself I never felt like this was a slap in the face, knowing the amount of work that went into both
Just wondering... As Halo 2: Anniversary is meant to be a director's cut with things that weren't in the original multiplayer experience, what about adding the Shadow (a transport vehicle featured in the campaign, which carries a ghost and a turret, aswell as a group of players at the top)? I think it would make this multiplayer even better, enjoyable and unique, while resembling the old roots. In my opinion, the vehicle would work perfectly in large BTB maps, such as Coagulation, or in the best case, in the forge remakes of Contention or Waterworks, in case you decide to include them (as I stated in the list, this might be a suitable way of getting more maps).

Would it be easy to add it? Of course it wouldn't. However, would it replace this whole list and make the experience unique? I think so.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
Spoiler:
Show
A classic game ... But i think would add the sounds of weapons original
I need more maps for H2A pronto!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3