Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox)

[Locked] Temporarily Banned from Matchmaking?

OP SavvyHobgoblin

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6
Hi there Savvy, looking at the backend you have triggered the shadow ban service a large amount of times. You quit 24 times of the 43 games you played on Oct 14th alone.

In aggregate, you must have come up with as a top offender and it was applied. Looking at the back history this behavior is seen several times. To avoid future bans, I would suggest you try to quit less.
You should tag him.
You must’ve quit way more than a few games, stop quitting
As mentioned, I only quit a few games.
A few = 24 :P
Hi there Savvy, looking at the backend you have triggered the shadow ban service a large amount of times. You quit 24 times of the 43 games you played on Oct 14th alone.

In aggregate, you must have come up with as a top offender and it was applied. Looking at the back history this behavior is seen several times. To avoid future bans, I would suggest you try to quit less.
So it goes by “top offender”?

Any way we could make that less lenient?

That seems pretty lenient.
words

It will be less lenient soon... a little transparency here... an automated banning system is being put in place and are running/applying different rules behind the scenes - we call these shadow bans, meaning they don't directly apply active bans. This system is not swiftly dealing enforcement, it does currently point out/indicate people who are bad offenders. A few examples: quitting a ton of games, or quitting most of the games played. For instance, some people quit over half the games they play, while some people play 300 games, but quit 100 of them. Both of these people would be getting a short duration ban. Some people make alternate accounts and play, if they keep quitting, this has been getting them a console ban. These bans seem to be extreme, but so is the number of people these users are affecting.

When the rules that are creating 'shadow bans' are tested enough the system will go live. It is a change to the above logic, and I believe it will immediately notify you and give you an X minute cool down 'time out' after the first offense. After that it escalates after each offense and increases the 'time out' period. I don't know what the 'time out' times will be when it goes live. Some good news to the offenders, is that people won't be stuck at their current level of punishment, if they continue to complete games and behave, they will lose their notoriety with the system.
words

It will be less lenient soon... a little transparency here... an automated banning system is being put in place and are running/applying different rules behind the scenes - we call these shadow bans, meaning they don't directly apply active bans. This system is not swiftly dealing enforcement, it does currently point out/indicate people who are bad offenders. A few examples: quitting a ton of games, or quitting most of the games played. For instance, some people quit over half the games they play, while some people play 300 games, but quit 100 of them. Both of these people would be getting a short duration ban. Some people make alternate accounts and play, if they keep quitting, this has been getting them a console ban. These bans seem to be extreme, but so is the number of people these users are affecting.

When the rules that are creating 'shadow bans' are tested enough the system will go live. It is a change to the above logic, and I believe it will immediately notify you and give you an X minute cool down 'time out' after the first offense. After that it escalates after each offense and increases the 'time out' period. I don't know what the 'time out' times will be when it goes live. Some good news to the offenders, is that people won't be stuck at their current level of punishment, if they continue to complete games and behave, they will lose their notoriety with the system.
Thank you so much!

Thanks for sharing. It’s nice to know 343 is working on it!
words

This level of transparency is awesome. I'm excited for this system to go live. Thank you!
Can we get these sorts of bans for constant betrayers? Sick of playing halo with a betrayers it ruins the game for your team as well as being on the opposing team. :)
words

What about with Betrayals ? Do they get harsher bans than those that quit games ?
First time being banned twice in one day....
I think the time frame is really harsh, especially since we pay $50/yr for a membership.

In the past this issue has been resolved by lowering your level/rank. Ultimately, I think this will piss enough people off and end up reducing the total number of players. At least reward someone who toughs it out 1 vs. 4. Heck, let those games count as redemption for quitting or accidental betrayals.

After all, I need to figure out which online subscription to cut by next year.... At this point, I'm thinking it's going to be XBOX live. Good job.

Oh and I just waiting 25 minutes to play as I'm typing this... Tried to join a game at 5:20 am and matching failed... I'm booted AGAIN for 24 hrs this time? WTF 343? You just waited 25 minutes and 24 hrs of my time? This is completely unacceptable. I'm just trying to grind for multiplayer achievements but I guess I'll give up and spend my money elsewhere...
HelioMaxx wrote:
I think the time frame is really harsh, especially since we pay $50/yr for a membership.

In the past this issue has been resolved by lowering your level/rank. Ultimately, I think this will piss enough people off and end up reducing the total number of players. At least reward someone who toughs it out 1 vs. 4. Heck, let those games count as redemption for quitting or accidental betrayals.

After all, I need to figure out which online subscription to cut by next year.... At this point, I'm thinking it's going to be XBOX live. Good job.

Oh and I just waiting 25 minutes to play as I'm typing this... Tried to join a game at 5:20 am and matching failed... I'm booted AGAIN for 24 hrs this time? WTF 343? You just waited 25 minutes and 24 hrs of my time? This is completely unacceptable. I'm just trying to grind for multiplayer achievements but I guess I'll give up and spend my money elsewhere...
Good bye, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
You must’ve quit way more than a few games, stop quitting
As mentioned, I only quit a few games.
Don’t quit ANY games.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Nalatroz wrote:
HelioMaxx wrote:

Banning someone is pointless without knowing what you can be banned for is my point.
HelioMaxx wrote:
Nalatroz wrote:
HelioMaxx wrote:

Banning someone is pointless without knowing what you can be banned for is my point.
Quitting Games is what causes it or lagging out, if the salt is to be believed
Nalatroz wrote:
HelioMaxx wrote:
Nalatroz wrote:
HelioMaxx wrote:

I guess that's part of my problem. Why should I (or anyone else) have to google why I/they are banned without a clear understanding/explanation. With how few times I have backed out of a game, I have a very hard time believing that it is only triggered by quitting and lagging out. But what do I or realistically anyone else really know? 343 is the one who came up with the ban-hammer algorithm. Annnnnd they didn't care/think it was important enough to share....which is BS for loyal halo fans
HelioMaxx wrote:
Nalatroz wrote:
HelioMaxx wrote:
Nalatroz wrote:
HelioMaxx wrote:

I guess that's part of my problem. Why should I (or anyone else) have to google why I/they are banned without a clear understanding/explanation. With how few times I have backed out of a game, I have a very hard time believing that it is only triggered by quitting and lagging out. But what do I or realistically anyone else really know? 343 is the one who came up with the ban-hammer algorithm. Annnnnd they didn't care/think it was important enough to share....which is BS for loyal halo fans
If you are a loyal fan you should know the rules for multiplayer. Also they are not hard to find. If you read through this post especially the 343 responses they are pretty clear about the banhammer. Don't want to be banned don't quit games and don't betray your teammates. Not that hard to do IMO. Also every one claims the "I only quit once" or "only a couple games" but their records always show otherwise.
HelioMaxx wrote:
You're not paying $50 play Halo. Nor are you paying $50 to have everything handed to you like you're the only one that matters. You're paying $50 to join a community with rules and guidelines. If you don't follow those rules and guidelines, then you will be punished.

While I do think this system is a little too strict, as funny as I also find it. But don't think you're entitled to do whatever you want just because you're paying money for a service.
HelioMaxx wrote:
You're not paying $50 play Halo. Nor are you paying $50 to have everything handed to you like you're the only one that matters. You're paying $50 to join a community with rules and guidelines. If you don't follow those rules and guidelines, then you will be punished.

While I do think this system is a little too strict, as funny as I also find it. But don't think you're entitled to do whatever you want just because you're paying money for a service.
Excatly you sure you pay for the game and Xbox live but that means you agree to their terms of service so that means abide by their rules....
LethalQ wrote:
HelioMaxx wrote:
Nalatroz wrote:
HelioMaxx wrote:
Nalatroz wrote:
HelioMaxx wrote:

If you are a loyal fan you should know the rules for multiplayer. Also they are not hard to find. If you read through this post especially the 343 responses they are pretty clear about the banhammer. Don't want to be banned don't quit games and don't betray your teammates. Not that hard to do IMO. Also every claims the "I only quit once" or "only a couple games" but their records always show otherwise.
Whats my record? I would love to find out and beg to differ. I went back and checked, I had 5 total. The first 3 were somehow the first 3 games I played or at least tried to play. Tell me, if you're looking forward to playing a game for the first time...do you just quit the first 3 games you enter matchmaking (in a row) for the heck of it? I sure as hell don't have and wouldn't have a reason to start a matchmaking game and then just quit. That said, its still a total of 5 games. Compare that to the 100 or 200 games reveled on this thread of people who have quit.

As far as betrayals go? Its easier to kill friendlies sometimes than those dirty blues. All kidding aside we've all accidentally killed friendlies. We already pay for it via respawn timer. Are we suppose to pay for all of the friendlies we accidentally kill via grenade throws and botched warthog pickups that come in a little too hot?

First we hear that you only get banned from quitting...
Then we hear that you can get banned from lagging out...
And now you can get banned from betrayals...
What else can you get banned for?

343 needed to give us a heads up to know how strict and severe the punishment is. I was banned for 25 minutes, after the 25 minutes was up, I tried to play a match and was banned for 25 hours. I didn't even get to play a match after the ban was lifted.

Can anyone explain that?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6