The Official Halo MCC "Why was I banned?" thread

OP stckrboy

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
The following FAQ should answer some of your questions about Halo: The Master Chief Collection bans. We will update this FAQ as necessary.

I received an in-game message saying I have been banned. Why?
If you are checking this page because of an in-game message, it is likely that you have been banned for either quitting repetitively, violating the terms of use, attempted Playlist Ranking manipulation, have been found to be conducting network manipulation, and/or committing a code of conduct violation. It is also possible, in the case of an especially egregious violation, that your Xbox One system itself is now banned from Matchmaking. The duration of this ban is based on the type, frequency or nature of the committed violation. In most cases, Custom Games will still be available. In extreme cases, they will not.

How can I tell how long I was banned for?
Ban duration will be shown in the message that appears as the ban hammer strikes. First offences are generally low and last only a few minutes, but will increase in duration incrementally with each subsequent ban.

Current ban ladder for MCC:
  • First offence: 5 minute ban
  • Second offense: 15 minute ban
  • Third offense: 60 minute ban
  • Fourth offense: 16 hour ban
If you don't have a quit within a 24 hour period, then you will reset back to the first step on the ban ladder. There is still a record of how many quits you have, but its not used in this automated system.

What types of actions can result in a ban?
Types of violation include, but are not limited to, the following example actions:
  • Modifying your Xbox One hardware or game software and services in any way.
  • Idling through games, habitual quitting, suiciding, betraying, dodging matches or any other type of unsociable and unsportsmanlike behavior.
  • Impersonating a 343 Industries or Microsoft employee on Xbox LIVE with intent to defraud or cause harm to other players.
Although the system is able to detect the difference between quitting from the in-game menu and disconnecting, it cannot determine the cause for that disconnection. This means that dropping from the server, your internet / power going out or intentionally switching your router / modem off are all treated the exact same. If they weren't then this would be open to abuse.

Why was I banned for quitting one match? *
The ban system observes if you are quitting out of matchmaking and will enforce a matchmaking ban should you choose to quit out of matches. The more matches you quit, the more severe the bans become. As it takes more than a single offence to earn a significant matchmaking ban. These extended bans will be enforced from multiple quits placing the lengthier bans being placed on your account.

Currently, with respect to MCC, if you are the last man standing in your team (for example you are in a 1 vs 4 situation) , you will not be penalized for quitting.

Why was I banned for winning a match / quitting one match / quitting a custom game? *
You weren't. The ban system runs at least 1 game behind so your ban will have been placed for a previous offence. After completing your next event, whether it is a matchmaking game, custom game, forge session, spectating a friend or viewing theatre, the system will then show you a message telling you that you have been banned. As it takes more than a single offence to earn a ban you will never be banned for leaving one match, it will be multiple offences that have led to a ban being placed on your account.

I shouldn't be banned. My brother/sister/cousin/dad/mom/friend must've logged on with my account and done bad things. Will you please reverse my ban?
If this is indeed the case, we do understand your frustration. However, it is your sole responsibility to keep your account information secure and not share it with others who would abuse it. We have no way of detecting who is playing with your account, and if your gamertag is caught making naughty, you will be banned. Those are the rules.

I didn't do anything wrong, and you can't prove it. Will you please reverse my ban?
Our automated system builds up a digital case prior to any ban being enacted. Bans for quitting will not be reversed.

Will posting in this thread guarantee my ban will be lifted and that someone will respond personally to every post?
Unfortunately, no. We simply don't have enough eyes, ears and typing hands to respond to every single post. However, the community will help keep you honest. Please, just keep it clean.

The purpose of this thread is to keep all questions pertaining to bans in one place. Without a megathread for such questions, the rest of the forum will almost certainly turn into a cavalcade of ban questions. If you were banned and think you have a case, this is the ONLY thread you should post in.

If other moderators see posts pertaining to bans in other threads, a kind-hearted mod will re-direct you to this thread. If any users are caught habitually spamming ban threads in other threads, we will consider that a violation of the forum Terms of Use.

You will risk being banned here as well. We don't want to have to ban anyone, but we do want an open, honest and positive place to post about all things Halo, so a thread like this is necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Updated: 02/12/2018 - stckrboy
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I hope this is not an off-topic post, but I’d like to chime in and say how glad I am a system like this has been implemented. Halo has been needing something like this for a long time. While not every match needs to be sweaty or played with a full fireteam, it gets very frustrating for players who enjoy social matches to regularly be in games with unbalanced teams. Of course, this system should pay dividends for ranked matches as well as quitters are still there.

Now every player has to think hard about whether or not a match is bad enough to quit out of and face the penalties. I hope this encourages players to stick it out and play their best. Who knows, maybe we’ll start seeing a ton of comeback wins.
How does this work for trolls/bad sportsmanship? Examples:driving the wrong way, stealing your flag then bringing it back to the enemy’s base or soft betrayals.

Do I have to report them or have video evidence?

Also how does affect like a super team like just spawn killing with contesting the time on halo 2 aka forever never ending game? Is that unsportsmanlike would you or could you get banned?
tuhin94 wrote:
I hope this is not an off-topic post, but I’d like to chime in and say how glad I am a system like this has been implemented. Halo has been needing something like this for a long time. While not every match needs to be sweaty or played with a full fireteam, it gets very frustrating for players who enjoy social matches to regularly be in games with unbalanced teams. Of course, this system should pay dividends for ranked matches as well as quitters are still there.

Now every player has to think hard about whether or not a match is bad enough to quit out of and face the penalties. I hope this encourages players to stick it out and play their best. Who knows, maybe we’ll start seeing a ton of comeback wins.
teams are still horribly unbalanced and less quitting doesnt change that LOL Now people just go afk until the end of the match so it makes it even worse for their teammates.

Had someone yesterday accidentally running over teammates in halo ce yesterday and hes banned because of the games poor vehicle physics. Can someone tell me how its fair to them? God forbid his/her internet goes out next and he gets the perm ban for being such a monster
Okay guys, i just got banned because i did the worst thing ever. Somebody else broke the loading screen so i was loading into h3 orbital (-Yoink- but whatever) but the loading bar wouldnt fill up for over 5 minutes so i quit the build. Watch out before i come terrorize you guys too in like 8 minutes
How does this work for trolls/bad sportsmanship? Examples:driving the wrong way, stealing your flag then bringing it back to the enemy’s base or soft betrayals.

Also how does affect like a super team like just spawn killing with contesting the time on halo 2 aka forever never ending game? Is that unsportsmanlike would you or could you get banned?
I completely forgot that in games like Halo 2 you can hold a match hostage indefinitely. I've seen teams hold the objective on purpose in Halo 3 but that game has a timer at least.

If I was in a match where the other team is holding the objective so the match never ends I'd quit no hesitation. A complete waste of time and I refuse to be spawn killed over and over for all eternity.

...you can't pick up your own flag and bring it anywhere, let alone the enemy base.
stckrboy may I suggest to add the top OP that if you are the last man on a team you don't get a ban?

also, didn't MoreInfoNeeded say that quitting one match will in fact result in a ten minute ban?

[EDIT]

Also, thanks for making this post, as there was definitely a huge spike in ban threads popping up ever since the banhammer went from trusty workshop tool to Tartarus' Gavel status.
I read this in another thread. "People who are receiving a 24 hour ban after the second quit are receiving it because its their 3rd quit in 24 hours."
-MoreInfoNeeded

This raises some concerns for me, what if I play 80 games in a day? 3 lagouts/gamecrashes doesn't seem too unusual given the volume of games.
AshamanND wrote:
stckrboy may I suggest to add the top OP that if you are the last man on a team you don't get a ban?

also, didn't MoreInfoNeeded say that quitting one match will in fact result in a ten minute ban?
Yep, I have that on the cards to update soon
stckrboy wrote:
AshamanND wrote:

I believe Postums will be making a sticky post on the topic.
stckrboy wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
Spoiler:
Show
Quote:
Looking forward to his eloquent wordsmithing.
Even better, I'll leave this in his hands then :)
I had one connection timeout and I was banned, this happened only once out of many matches played... Isn't this a little too harsh? Plus, I didn't receive any message whatsoever, the game said I was banned when I tried joining another match.
i get ddos'd pretty often when i play mcc, how many times can that happen to me before im crucified by your automated system? should i even bother playing right now?
i get ddos'd pretty often when i play mcc, how many times can that happen to me before im crucified by your automated system? should i even bother playing right now?
Is DoS/DDoS possible now that matchmaking is on dedicated servers?
stckrboy wrote:
AshamanND wrote:

Nice to have details on it.
stckrboy wrote:
Even better, I'll leave this in his hands then :)
This shall be the ban thread discussion. All discussions will live in this pinned thread.
Postums wrote:
This shall be the ban thread discussion. All discussions will live in this pinned thread.
Do ban time amounts decay over time or is it permanent? So let's say my last ban was a week long, but I decided to be good and not quit for several months although I unfortunately had a power outage which caused me to quit the game. Will the ban that's after a week long still be in effect or will it reset back to a ten minute ban?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11